911: Driving You To The Liquor Store Is Not An Emergency

Frivolous 911 calls are a serious waste of time and resources and authorities have little patience for those who dial the emergency number for petty grievances. So when a man from Florida thought the best way to get a lift to the liquor store was to call 911, he ended up behind bars.

The 57-year-old man had already called the 911 hotline in St. Augustine twice to ask for a ride from the local Budget Inn to the liquor store. He was warned that a third call would result in arrest. So when that third call was made, he did get a free ride — downtown.

The man was charged with misusing 911 and possession of marijuana after a police officer spied a small amount of marijuana in the man’s motel room.

Man Calls 911 For Ride To Liquor Store; Gets Busted For Pot [TokeOfTheTown.com via I Have Zlata Thoughts]

Comments

1. danmac says:

*cue Benny Hill music*

I love you, Florida…thank you for being you.

2. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

When you’re trying to forget your troubles, the realization that you’re not drunk enough for it to be worth it yet too drunk to drive is a sad one.

3. Cyniconvention says:

-sings slowly- Florida on my news…I wonder if Auto-Tune The News saw this yet.

At least he wasn’t trying to drive himself (Heard the recording on Robin Meade this morning) He sounded drunk already.

4. smo0 says:

Ahahahaha.

Yesterday morning I heard on the radio – a drunk woman was arrested for calling 911 repeatedly asking the operators if they were single and if they would go out with her….

5. rpm773 says:

Back in my wild post-college days, I was at the White Castle drive-thru late one night and the local police had put the following sticker in the cash booth window

“Driving Drunk? Get a Free Ride in a Police Car”

I thought that was a pretty cool concept. How does one arrange that? Call 911? It took me a good 3 minutes later before I “got” it.

In retrospect, I was probably eligible for a free ride in a police car that night.

6. jimstoic says:

There are people who would die without liquor, but they should be taken to the hospital rather than a liquor store.

7. Tvhargon says:

Wow, I guess people in my town are more lenient. On Monday this lady called 911 60 times before she was arrested.

• danmac says:

I used to live in Oakland, and it was the same as you describe, except replace “60″ with “2″ and “arrested” with “murdered”.

8. dg says:

Dude must have been trashed – probably thought he was calling 311 instead :-)

9. keith4298 says:

When I was a first aider, we used to have people call with heart pains and then say they felt all better when we got to the hospital (which was in the center of town with the liquor stores, etc…). It took a while for them to get the hint, but we would drive them back home instead of just allowing them to “hop out”. People are disgusting.

10. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

And this is why FARK has a florida tag.

11. AI says:

In my city, they’re running a campaign to report graffiti in progress by calling 911. Which I think is an absolute abuse of the system. If I ever get in trouble for 911 use, I plan on using the city’s graffiti campaign as precedence that 911 can be legally used for less-than-emergency reasons.

• AI says:

Here’s the link http://www.edmonton.ca/environmental/documents/ResidentialGraffitiCleanUpKit2010.pdf page 2 under ‘Report:’ it says “Call 911 if you see graffiti in progress.”

• Kitamura says:

Not that I necessarily disagree it’s kind of a waste, but isn’t that because they want to dispatch officers to stop “crime in progress”. You’ll notice it lists the general number right underneath to report if your property has been vandalized and you’re calling after the fact.

Therefore you could use it as an example if you get in trouble for using 911 to report illegal activities in progress, but it’s unlikely to work if you were trying to ask for a ride to the local liquor store.

• Conformist138 says:

But is graffiti in progress REALLY so important that we should encourage 911 for it? Most people who do this can tag a spot pretty fast and don’t stick around while the paint is still wet. No cop would ever make it in time to catch them red-handed unless they respond like someone was being murdered.

12. areaman says:

After the second call, police had told McMurrain that 911 was for emergencies only and he would be arrested if they had to come back, reports First Coast News.

That’s an odd three strikes system they have in Florida.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

if you’ve ever lived there, it’s not that odd. if they responded to every idiot who called 911 for improper reasons the first time they did it, there’d never be another bit of work done.
      florida is a special special place. which is why i moved away from it

13. Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

This is nothing new. I took a lady to the ER just last nite because she was having severe tooth pain for the past 3 months. Of course what she really wanted was some free narcs, as no ER I have ever been to has a dentist on staff.

The frequent fliers usually have no sence of what 911 is for as they have been trained that when something in life is not as they want, 911 will help them. But the psychology of dependance is for another thread.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

I’m impressed that she was able to handle the pain for three months. Too bad she couldn’t tough it out a few more hours until the dentist’s office opened :)

• Master Medic: Now with more Haldol says:

A little late, but here it is: Most people become huge babies after 9PM. As such, no matter how unreasonable the situation is they will call 911 and think we can solve all ills.

That or just get them Dilaudid.

14. Beeker26 says:

Bet this shows up on Chelsea Lately tonight. Chelsea sure does love wackadoodles from Florida.

15. bruce9432 says:

Here in Dana Point, CA, the number one reason for DUIs is that people drinking at home run out of booze and head off to the liquor store for more.

16. SunnyLea says:

“Driving You To The Liquor Store Is Not An Emergency”

Well, not when you’re sober, no.

17. Conformist138 says:

I wonder… a budget inn to a liquor store… told he would be arrested.

Sounds like the guy was about to get evicted from his motel home and decided the county providing 3 meals and roof was pretty sweet.