Vomiting Phillies Fan Sentenced To At Least 30 Days In Jail

For better or worse — and for most of my life, it’s tended toward the latter — I am a Philadelphia Phillies fan. That being said, I was just as horrified as everyone else when a drunk jerk at a Phillies game intentionally vomited on an 11-year-old girl back in April. Thus, I’m happy to report that he is now behind bars… and that he’s really from New Jersey.

The 21-year-old entered a guilty plea last week and was sentenced to a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 3 months behind bars. When he gets out of jail, he’ll be on probation for two years, during which time he’s been ordered to serve 50 hours of community service and pay $315 in restitution.

Back in April, the little girl’s father — an off-duty police officer — described the event this way:

I actually heard the individual behind me say, ‘I’m gonna get sick’, then I couldn’t believe what I saw. He actually had his fingers down his mouth and into his throat to make himself vomit. He vomited and lurched forward and it was hitting my daughter.

Now if only a judge would sentence the entire Atlanta Braves organization to jail for the next 60 days…

Man jailed for Vomiting on baseball fan [Reuters]

Comments

1. AlphaLackey says:

George Carlin: “Spitting is a $50 fine; vomiting is free!”

Sorry George, but don’t feel bad, time makes fools of us all.

2. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

Ht t b “tht g”, bt hw s ths cnsmr str?

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Because the girl bought a ticket, and got vomited upon. Bad customer experience.

• Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

See. that’s all I was asking. Thanks AB.

• myCatCracksMeUp says:

The father and daughter paid a business (the Phillies) to attend the game, so the father and daughter are the consumers, and while at the game, another consumer vomited on them. That makes it a story that belongs here, in my book.

3. c!tizen says:

Wow, is this actually justice being served? I’m shocked, in a good way. Though (here comes the pessimist) I have to wonder how differently the judgment would have been if the girl’s father hadn’t been a cop.

• LACubsFan says:

It wasn’t just for barfing…. it was also for assault because the guy punched the cop on the side of the head.

4. grucifer says:

Yea, I read this other day on a local news site. I still don’t think the kid should have gotten jail time, but apparently I’m in the minority on that one.

I’d say >200 hours community service and a 6 months to a year on probation would’ve been best. No reason to waste jail resources on some dumb kid.

• Dover says:

I agree, we lock people up far too readily these days; one intentional vomit is not a danger to society, does more harm to him than good, and there are far more productive ways for him to pay his debt to society.

• Promethean Sky says:

Intentionally vomiting on a child is a whole different matter than just vomiting in general.

• dolemite says:

I concur. Our jails are overflowing with people that aren’t a danger to anyone (even themselves). Prison was designed to keep dangerous individuals away from the populace. Not as a “punishment”. Use fines, house arrest, community service, etc as punishment.

I don’t condone what he did, but I also find it interesting that he got 1-3 months in jail, 2 years probation, fines, comm service for vomiting on someone (intentional or not). Meanwhile Lindsay Lohan intentionally had multiple DUIs (which IS a danger to the public), broke her probation several times, should have had contempt of court charges many times, yet served less than 2 weeks.

• u1itn0w2day says:

If one is spreading unsterilized bio matter that is a danger to others. If he would’ve been a Muslim or from the middle east he would still be at Gitmo.

• Anathema777 says:

The story goes beyond just the vomiting on the girl, when the father tried to shield his daughter from the mess, the vomiter hit him. Other people in the crowd had to help restrain him. And then, on top of it all, he resisted arrest.

• pantheonoutcast says:

You’re right. He should have to remain behind after a Phillies game and clean up the bathrooms. All of them. With a wet-nap.

• IR1 says:

Well it was an assault as well as he resisted arrest. I think it fits pretty well.

5. MDSasquatch says:

This guy probably isn’t done vomiting; he will more than likely do it after every shower and at the whim of his cell mate.

6. nybiker says:

Even though his sentence is a minimum of 30 days, will he get out for good behavior (maybe not considering what he did to get in – yes I understand that people in jail / prison didn’t exactly do good things to get there) or for that matter, is the jail he’ll be in overcrowded and he might be released early due to the crowded cells?

7. sir_eccles says:

why is it always an “off duty police officer” that this happens to?

• nybiker says:

I am trying to read between the words to understand the hidden meaning. Are you saying that if he was in uniform (or maybe an on-duty undercover officer?) the punishment would have been more severe? Or quicker? Or different in some way?
      Or am I just reading more into your use of quotes? Also, the victim in this case was his daughter, so this really didn’t happen to any police officer, regardless of their duty status.
      Ok, my q & a time is over.

• sir_eccles says:

Oh no, I don’t mean anything bad by it. Just that it seems to occur with a higher that normal frequency that one would expect. It is similar to the bodies always being found by “a man walking his dog”. It could just be a selective memory bias.

• whittygirl says:

Or simply that an off-duty police officer is more likely to know when you can press charges and more apt to do so. I know that if that had happened to my daughter, I would want to cause bodily harm to the individual but wouldn’t necessarily think that vomiting = assault.

8. Liam Kinkaid says:

Why would he do that?

• dolemite says:

He’s from Jersey. We cannot fathom the beings that exist in that place. Perhaps he lost a bet to his orange girlfriend. Perhaps the steroids interacted in a weird manner with his tanning oils. Perhaps the girl used a word too large for his vocabulary, and he flew into a rage.

9. leastcmplicated says:

“Now if only a judge would sentence the entire Atlanta Braves organization to jail for the next 60 days”

did i miss something??

• leastcmplicated says:

I like how in the original article, Matthew’s uncle says “… he vomited on the wrong individual…” like vomiting on ANY individual is ok???

• Chris Morran says:

Just that the Braves are currently what stands between the Phillies and another trip to the post-season.

10. wkm001 says:

I get where the drunk guy was coming from. When I use to drink to excess and I knew I was going to throw up, I would make myself, just to get it over with. I also think there is a difference between being thrown up on and “hitting my daughter.” Of course by sticking your fingers down your throat you kind of determine when it happens, while sitting in your seat just isn’t acceptable.

This kid didn’t deserve jail time but he did need a good ass kicking. Since that is cruel and unusual, I guess jail time will have to do. Hopefully this kid will learn a lesson and get a better idea of what his tolerance is.

• Anathema777 says:

If you read some earlier articles back from when this story came out, you’ll see that he made himself sick intentionally, planning to throw up on this girl. He and his friend were sitting behind this family. When one of the family members asked them to tone down the cursing, the friend spit on them and was escorted from the park. Then the guy said, “I’m gonna do what I gotta do,” stuck his finger down his throat and vomited on the kid.

He also hit the dad when he tried to shield his daughter. The crowd had to help restrain him until police arrived.

11. jimmyhl says:

Just ice-cold fuck this guy. Good for the judge. Puking on a kid for God’s sake.

12. yessongs says:

Go Phillies!!!

13. Anathema777 says:

• Anathema777 says:

This was meant to be a reply to an earlier comment, but the system seems to have hiccuped and posted it twice.

14. Griking says:

Is this 30 real days or 30 Lindsay Lohan days?

15. rushevents says:

What’s this shocking lack of love for the Braves?

16. LACubsFan says: