Consumers Are Ditching White Bread For Wheat Bread

Rejoice Michael Pollan, it’s finally happening: wheat bread is almost more popular than white bread. Consumers are increasingly skipping past the Wonderbread for healthier-looking fare that either has “natural” in the name or whole grains visible through the packaging.

It’s part of a major turning of the tide. Packaged wheat bread recently surpassed white bread in dollar sales, according to Nielsen Co. For the 52 weeks ended July 10, wheat bread sales increased 0.6 percent to $2.6 billion, while white bread sales declined 7 percent to $2.5 billion. White bread is still ahead in volume, but the margin is shrinking. Americans bought 1.5 billion packages of white bread in the last year, a 3 percent decrease, and 1.3 billion packages of wheat bread, a 5 percent increase.

We find it tough to believe. Back in our day, white bread was what you ate to fight communists. Peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread? Please. Now, consumers care about what is cheap and what is healthy. How about you? Are you ditching white for wheat?

Grains make gains: Wheat surpasses white in sliced bread sales [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. OnePumpChump says:

…but it all contains HFCS.

• JoeXJoe says:

…except for when they dont… and wheat bread more often doesn’t.

• destruktolux says:

I buy Nature’s Own brand from Wal-Mart, and none of their bread products use HFCS. Plus, their products are the same cost or less than big brands like Wonder or Sara Lee, and the Nature’s Own bread takes up at least a third of the bread aisle.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

Nature’s Own IS a big brand. It’s not a Wal Mart brand. It’s a brand of Flowers Foods which also makes Cobblestone Mill and Sunbeam.

• Ellocomotive says:

HFCS isn’t bad for you, its just fructose instead of glucose, one of the three monosaccarhides needed and used by the body. Table sugar is glucose. Please, tell your friends, and read about it on wikipedia, as the rap HFCS gets is bogus. The reason people are told to avoid it is because its almost always found in foods that are already bad for you, i.e. soda.

• cortana says:

But of course, let’s not mention HFCS’s effect on leptin production, possibly causing people to eat more than they normally would with actual sugar used. Don’t just copypaste the BigCornPolicyWonksite, sweetsurprise.com. Put some effort into it!

• bennilynn says:
        • bennilynn says:

Hrm. Link didn’t work. fine then.

• Paladingo says:

Watching that 6 months ago changed my life — it’s shocking to see such a major part of food science was ignored for so long. I’ve also lost 35lbs just eyeballing ingredients to pull sugar out of my diet (or at least foods that don’t need sugar!). Amazing how so simple a change can make such a world of difference.

Plus it’s the first nutritional lecture that’s ever made SENSE to me when he broke it right down into basic biochemistry.

• smo0 says:

That is amazing… I highly recommend anyone who cares about their health and their life – watch that video… it’s around an hour long so park your time.

• Supes says:

Ignoring the health debate for a minute (I’d disagree they’re the same… the body absorbs different kinds of sugar differently. But let’s ignore that for the moment) manufacturers keep on using HFCS because of the subsidy for the US corn market to keep the price of all corn products down, and the tariffs on sugar in the US to keep the price double that of the global price.

Honestly, even if not for the health issue, I’d prefer not to consume HFCS because of the artificial way the government props up the corn industry. I don’t want to support that policy. The industrialization of corn has dramatically changed farming in our society, I’d argue for the worse.

Additionally sugar just tastes better.

• crashfrog says:

Biochemist here. Table sugar is actually sucrose, a disaccharide comprised of glucose and fructose. HFCS is also glucose and fructose, but with 5% additional fructose.

How an extra 5% fructose somehow has an “effect on leptin production” has not ever been explained to my knowledge. On the other hand, the studies that seem to show increased appetite and increased intake of calories from the same amount of food seem sound, and I’ve tried to reduce my HFCS intake.

• zandar says:

sure, never mind the mercury, it’s harmless too.

• Dustbunny says:

Franz Whole Grain bread doesn’t have HFCS in it — think it’s just a Pacific NW brand although I”m sure you can find other breads that don’t have it.

• El-Brucio says:

I’m generally against HFCS being put in stuff that doesn’t need it or replacing sugar, but wouldn’t most of the HFCS get eaten by yeast to make the bread rise?

• crunchberries says:

Wegmans’ whole wheat and multigrain store brand breads don’t. Nor does Roman Meal bread.

• montusama says:

+1 for Wegmans. Can’t wait to get my shoppers club card in the mail!

oh bread wise, I like wheat but sometimes I want white.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Arnold breads don’t have HFCS.

• TimothyT says:

Um, no. Many breads do not have HFCS: Nature’s Own and Healthy Life are two examples from my cupboard.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

Nature’s Own 12-grain FTW! Tasty, healthy, and generally not too expensive.

• Snaptastic says:

I go to the store and buy bread that only has ingredients that I can pronounce and are HFCS-free. There is a bakery within 5 minutes of my house that makes good bread and the organic markets are chock full of good grainy-bread goodness.

• zandar says:

yep, me too, in fact, i will choose a white bread that has a basic ingredient list like yeast, water, flour and salt over a whole wheat bread with stuff I can’t pronounce. Which is why I can’t say categorically i buy whole grain bread.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Most, but not all. Read labels…and read them every time, recipes change frequently. You can always find an HFCS-free bread if you look hard enough.

• Dre' says:

Arnold Bread doesn’t.

2. Brandroid says:

I’m not a fan of white bread or wheat bread. Now, Potato bread, that’s a different story. Its healthier than white bread and doesn’t taste bleh like wheat bread.

• trentblase says:

This highlights a pet peeve of mine … “white bread” is almost always “wheat bread” in that it’s made from wheat (excepting relatively special things like potato bread which I thing still had about half wheat). I’m not just being pedantic, because I’ve talked to at least several people who would see wheat flour in the ingredients of a loaf and assume that it was mire healthy because “it has wheat!!”. So the practice of calling whole wheat bread “wheat bread” causes real problems amongst the uneducated.

• Brandroid says:

Well, calling it Wheat bread is easier than calling it “that bread that is slightly darker than white bread and probably isn’t enriched”.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

I think what they’re going for here is “whole-wheat bread”, which isn’t that much longer. But it is being pedantic. I have trouble believing that ignorance would cause people to be confused on something like this that’s been in common parlance for decades.

• 44Wadeable says:

If I’m not mistaken, wheat bread has exactly the same health value as white bread unless it’s advertised to be at least 7 grain? Then it has more fiber and it’s a more complex carbohydrate? Could be mistaken, but I think that’s what it is.

• trentblase says:

I think it’s the opposite. X-grain simply means they use X different kinds of grains (wheat, oat, etc.) but each grain could still be highly refined and relatively un-nutritious. Whole grain, on the other hand, means they leave in healthy parts of the grains such as fiber, etc. So whole grain is the important label, although I suppose many 7-grain breads also happen to be whole grain. See http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-multigrain-bread.htm

3. dg says:

I never at Wonder Bread – you always wondered what was in it. My mom made bread from scratch, or we bought something that had understandable ingredients…

Now I make my own bread – got a bread machine, changed up the recipes a bit, whenever we want it, we have a nice tasty fresh loaf of healthy bread….

The only thing we buy from the store is challah – from a kosher bakery…

4. Venus Blue says:

I don’t eat much bread anymore but if I do I try to find one that contains no HFCS. I can’t remember the brand now but I found one that was like nine grain and very yummy.

• Ellocomotive says:

• cortana says:

(ok, i copypasted my own comment! sue me! so did the person i’m replying to!)

• skepticalpleb says:

What about the study that found eating the same amount of calories of sugar vs. HFCS results in more weight gain for those eating HFCS? Your body does not process HFCS and sugar the same way.

• rekoil says:

You realize you copypasted the same Monsanto/ADM party line in two different threads without even bothering to mix up the text any? Way to astroturf, Mr. PR flack…

• HoJu says:

For the first time ever I will use the following term that I wholeheartedly loathe:
          PWNED!!!!!!!!!

Nice catch.

• Sparkstalker says:

This is the second time you forgot another little fact about HFCS…it makes stuff taste like shit.

5. giax says:

White bread is wheat bread.
    Did they mean wholewheat by the ‘wheat’?

I’ve ditched everything that contains any wheat, gluten or derivates years ago – including an amazing range of products one would never suspect to have wheat to start with.

• balthisar says:

Yes, they mean “whole wheat.” In common parlance, “wheat bread” means “whole wheat bread.”

In parts of Ontario, Canada, in order to prevent confusion, they say “brown bread” to mean whole wheat.

• kmw2 says:

Not in product labeling though – in product labeling a bread labeled “wheat bread” may have very little whole wheat flour in it, basically enough to color it brown. Best to stick to the more precise term.

• OneBigPear says:

The term “brown bread” is used only anecdotally. Like, say, when ordering breakfast at a restaurant; options being along the lines of white, brown, or rye (note: mmm… rye toast); or mentioning that you need to pick up some brown bread from the store. For labelling in stores it is always “whole wheat.”

• Patriot says:

Unless you have Celiac dz, I’m not really seeing the point of your new diet.

• lincolnparadox says:

Patriot–

It’s estimated that 60% of Americans are living with an undiagnosed allergy to a common food item (wheat, corn, soy, rice, dairy). These allergies are low threshold, which means that they cause irritation of the digestive tract, but no serious side effects. However, long-term exposure to a food-borne allergy can decrease nutrient absorption and lead to polyp formation in the lower GI tract.

To sum up, if you feel better not eating a food, it’s probably bugging yer tummy.

6. iParadox{InLove} says:

I’m looking for a healthier brand of bread, if anyone has any suggestions? Something that tastes better than cardboard please.

• evnmorlo says:

alvarado street bakery is one of the healthiest…can’t really remember how cardboardy it is since I haven’t bough it since my store stopped putting it on sale. Arnold is pretty good if it is available in your location

• Noir says:

local bakery. hands down

• VeganPixels says:

True. Also, actual bread with the 4-and-only-4 ingredients necessary to concoct bread: flour, water, yeast, salt.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

When I make bread, those are pretty much the ingredients I use … but I often add things like thyme or rosemary or sage, because I like herb bread. I’ve never much cared for sliced bread from stores, but fresh home-baked bread has this alarming tendency to disappear.

• Outrun1986 says:

Arnold’s or Thomas’s. Arnold’s doesn’t use HFCS and its available almost everywhere, even at your local walmart. If not look into store brand breads, they are often healthier than the big names.

• Draw2much says:

We get Nature’s Own. http://www.naturesownbread.com/
      It’s one of 2 breads that we can find in grocery stores that doesn’t contain HFCS. And it’s the only one that doesn’t charge you an arm and a leg for that “privilege”.

• sth9669 says:

If you want tasty bread that’s reasonably healthy, try Arnold’s Oatnut bread. It’s got a good flavor, it has little pieces of oatnut in it to add a little crunch and it tastes great on a turkey sandwich or PB&J. . . That’s all we buy these days unless something else healthy is on a ridiculous sale

• TouchMyMonkey says:

Make your own. Alton Brown has some good recipes.

7. Traveller says:

How about you? Are you ditching white for wheat?

No. At my grocery store, white bread is still less expensive than wheat. The whole grain breads? They taste awesome, but they also cost an arm and a leg compared to white.

• fs2k2isfun says:

A big problem with our culture is we love low cost now at the expense of high cost later. Sure, you save $1.00 per loaf, but how much more will you spend on health care because you aren’t eating enough whole grain and fiber?

• sponica says:

But I have to eat fewer slices of the wheat bread to get full than the white bread…..I used to LOVE white bread, but it doesn’t fill me up as much and I’d rather not have to eat 2 sandwiches a day for lunch. Which negates the entire savings of buying white bread

• Alvis says:

You’re doing it wrong. It’s what IN the sammich that’s supposed to fill you up – bread’s just like an edible plate.

• SpruceStreetPhil - in a new Pine flavor says:

This one of the biggest problems of unhealthy eating in America, people will go for whatever is the cheapest, not the healthiest. In the long run it costs them.

8. erinpac says:

We always got this growing up: http://www.naturesownbread.com/NAT_Varieties/Variety.cfm?CategoryID=100&ProductID=9

No HFCS there, but I’d really no idea.

9. The Cybernetic Entomologist says:

The only problem here is that the vast majority of what’s sold as “wheat bread” (Um, white bread is “wheat bread”, generally), is no different from white bread, except it’s slightly darker due to the addition of caramel color. It’s still crap bread. When I was a kid, we referred to the Wonder Bread type products as “kleenex bread” – it was a reference not only to the texture of the stuff, but also its nutritional content.

The idea is that consumers won’t notice the difference between “wheat bread” and “whole wheat bread”.

I can’t fathom why anyone would eat “white bread” and its ilk. You get more nutrition (and, for that matter, bulk) from a slice of real bread than you do from an entire loaf of the fake stuff.

10. ALP5050 says:

Rats won’t even eat white bread.

11. Megladon says:

In the last few years me and my wife have tried different kinds of bread, we really enjoyed potato bread by sara lee, that stuff is nice, lately we’ve tried some new stuff, oatmeal bread, not sure who its buy, but its made with whole grain oats as the first ingredient and it tastes pretty good.

12. guroth says:

Maybe it is the brands I buy, but it seems like the wheat bread of today is worlds better than the wheat bread I was occasionally force fed as a child.

• frak says:

Yes, I agree. The whole wheat bread my mom forced on me as a kid may have really been crunchy cardboard.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I agree. I’d be willing to bet improved taste has a lot to do with the change.

13. factotum says:

Factory-produced white bread is tasteless gloop. You shouldn’t be able to scrunch up a couple of slices of bread into a golf ball-sized mass.

I like Oroweat’s Ancient Grains bread; sourdough; and German rye breads.

• evnmorlo says:

“scrunch up a couple of slices of bread into a golf ball-sized mass”

That is my favorite thing to do with white bread

• MrsLopsided says:

Anther vote for Oroweat.
      My favorite everyday/sandwich bread is Oroweat 12 Grain.
      No HFCS.

• GinaLouise says:

Oroweat Winter Wheat bread is like manna from some carb-heavy heaven. I buy Oroweat pretty much exclusively because their no-HFCS policy means I don’t have to examine labels for the entire bread aisle.

14. dreamfish says:

Is Carey implying that if you don’t eat white bread you hate America?

15. goodfellow_puck says:

White bread, please.

A survey done by Nielsen Co. seems skewed to me anyway since isn’t it done by shoppers who scan their groceries at home later? How many people you think have those scanners (much like the TV ones)? Few. Especially across demographics.

• Not Given says:

I don’t know how many but it must be a lot. I live out in the middle of nowhere and have one.

16. Pepper says:

I’ve never bought white bread. In the past few years, though, I’ve switched from wheat/grain bread to whole grain.

17. tbax929 says:

I hated wheat bread when I was kid. Now it’s the only kind I buy. I don’t know if the bread tastes better now or if my taste buds have changed. I can’t remember the last time I bought white bread.

• Snaptastic says:

I think it’s a taste thing. As a kid I detested wheat bread as well, but when I became a bit more aware of what I was eating as a teenager I started slowly changing what I ate (despite how my family sometimes mocked me). Now I can’t stand eating alot of things that I used to like as a little brat.

Now my family is grudgingly making the same transition when they realized I’m the only one with no high blood pressure or other issues, despite the family being cursed with vein problems and heart disease. I’ve got my brother partially converted, but the parents need a bit more work. X-D

18. balthisar says:

I ditched commercial white bread over a decade ago, although I’ll sometimes make white-style breads at home. For commercial loaves, I always get whole wheat or multi-grain. I like to have actual flavor in my bread, even with PB&J ;-)

19. gedster314 says:

I’ve always been a fan of whole wheat, rye and sour dough. I absolutely love Kommis bread and Trader Joes Barvarian Rye. Nothing tops fresh baked breads, avoid the stores and find a good bakery where everything is baked fresh daily.

Most of the wheat breads found on grouchery store shelves aren’t much better then white. If it kind of resembles white bread with the same consistency of white but is brown…RUN!

20. rpm773 says:

Eat what you will, but I’m still calling you ‘white bread’

21. Garbanzo says:

Many consumers assume that “wheat bread” and “whole wheat bread” are synonymous. The manufacturers exploit this confusion. If your intention is to eat whole grains for better health, you have to read the ingredient list. If “enriched wheat flour” is the first ingredient you’re holding a loaf of premium-priced white bread made with unbleached flour, perhaps with some food coloring to solidify the illusion.

22. Muscato says:

Switching white for wheat? Actually, today, for the first time in what is probably a couple of years, I had a white-bread sandwich for lunch. And I have to say, I realized I had missed it. This was a couple of steps up from Wonder, but it was likely still chock-full of badness – and very, very tasty.

Fortunately, I wasn’t aware that one had to have an undying allegiance either way…

23. VA_White says:

I never had to switch. I grew up on wheat bread and that’s what I’ve always bought. I only ever ate white bread when I visited my grandparents and I thought it was gummy and tasteless. And it is quite possible to find whole grain bread without HFCS. You just have to read the labels carefully.

24. Rain says:

There’s no substance to white bread. It’s like eating air. Whole wheat all the way.

I still can’t eat squirrelly bread though. Bread shouldn’t be crunchy.

25. Big Mama Pain says:

Pumpernickel is my favorite, but the best kinds are expensive. I grew up on wheat bread, so that is all I’ve ever bought. It doesn’t surprise me that sales of wheat bread are higher-there are so many fancy pants brands of wheat bread out there now that cost like $5 a loaf. People who care about their health will spend more on food.

26. Stages says:

We eat Walmart brand wheat bread. It’s cheap, it’s reasonably tasty, and it doesn’t stick to the roof of your mouth. The kid doesn’t think white bread is actually bread, and she refuses to eat it.

27. Silverhawk says:

You can’t find a decent loaf of white bread at the grocery store anymore. It’s either styrofoam wonderbread, or whole wheat crap. I don’t think it’s because of true demand, I think it’s because people have gotten tired of the poor choice in white bread, and a certain segment of the population does truly want whole wheat bread, and it’s been misinterpreted as ‘everyone wants whole wheat bread’.

I’ve resorted to making my own again, because it’s the only real choice now.

28. Cantras says:

I finally have our apartment converted to wheat. For a while it was white and wheat. Then it was wheat, and a loaf of white that we only ever used for grilled cheese. And now, since we eat a little less grilled cheese, it’s all wheat.

I imagine my husband would still choose white over wheat if they were both available, but he’s being weaned off of it.

29. rawrali says:

I always had wheat bread as a kid. I prefer just about any sandwich on wheat. Sturdier, more flavor. The one exception, for whatever reason, is salami. I remember every once in awhile my mother would buy cotto salami and it just tastes better on white bread. I haven’t had that in years though.

30. Paladingo says:

I’ve switched to whole grain/whole wheat bread for the fiber, and figured it’d be hard because I never liked whole grain bread as a kid, and have only ever eaten white.

I’ve discovered that I actually really like whole grain bread, especially toasted, and my family just ate really WEIRD whole grain breads full of chunks and seeds when I was growing up.

31. smo0 says:

This is my bread of choice.

32. MustardTiger says:

I’ve never bought white bread over wheat in my life. Fluffy no-good nothingness. Bleh. Nor will I eat potato bread, how anyone believes that crap is healthier is beyond me..

33. ArmandCaba?ero says:

growing up, I *loved* Oroweat’s Russian Rye growing up; sadly, it isn’t produced east of the Mississippi and Arnold only makes marble rye. which isn’t bad per se, but it isn’t Russian Rye.

There’s a “Beefsteak” soft rye that isn’t too bad; nummy for making grilled cheese sandwiches

34. oldtaku says:

Keep in mind that a lot of ‘wheat’ bread is just colorized and sugared up crap. Subway’s ‘wheat’ bread is a fine example of this – it’s probably worse for you than their white bread. It’s just fake bulls#@4 like most ‘organic’ or ‘artisinal’.

You want the good chewy chunky stuff where you can still feel the texture of the grains. Or old fashioned peasant bread of any sort.

35. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I stopped eating white the minute I moved out of my parent’s house. White bread is so gross. You can wad it into a ball and use it as a weapon.

36. johnmc says:

Nope, I ditched white bread for no bread at all.

37. Shred says:

Ditched it a long time ago for dense, delicious, HFCS-free whole wheat bread that I buy at our local health food store. I love this bread so much that I just bought a package to take on vacation with me because I probably won’t be able to find it where I’m going.

38. Forty2 says:

Newsflash! “white” bread IS wheat bread. What you’re talking about is white vs brown/whole grain bread.

Oh, by the way, all of it is bad for you.

39. Japheaux says:

Going out on a limb for saying I love most all bread, but still prefer good ol’ white (unless making it myself). I laugh at my friends who tell me they eat healthy so they always but whole wheat/grain yadda yadda yadda, then turn something healthy into a monstrosity by adding a ton of mayo, greasy cold cuts, bacon, cheese, etc. It’s the same story of the person ordering 5 Big Macs and a Diet Coke. The whole wheat story means a whole lot more when people add they they add it to a lifetime plan of eating healthier. But hey, free health care is coming, so who am I to complain.

40. MercuryPDX says:

Store-wise, I’ve switched from white to “whole grain”, “7-grain”, or “multi-grain” bread.

When I make my own using a machine at home, it’s usually potato or french bread.

41. tape says:

I haven’t eaten white bread since I was about 6 and I figured out that I could tell my mom that it sucked. Ever since became an adult and moved out, I’ve eaten only whole-grain breads.

I’m glad to see that the rest of the world is finally coming around on this.

42. Clyde Barrow says:

Last week I picked up a loaf of Wonderbread Wheat Bread. Tastes good but I really miss rye bread with the tan and dark swirls. It tasted awesome out of the toaster with melted butter.

43. mbz32190 says:

I cannot even eat white bread anymore after switching to Wheat bread (or Split-Top bread at the very least). And the cost isn’t that much different…50 cents more at most (for the store brand, which tastes fine to me).

44. Levk says:

you know there sales could be that people are just buying cheaper bread, I can get bread for 1$ why should I spend 2-4$ for the same bread? that could be reason for the 7% loss

45. JulesNoctambule says:

I tend to choose bread based on whether or not it will aggravate my TMJ and make my jaw lock up when I eat. Right now, it’s one from a local bakery that may or may not contain whole grains, but makes a fine sandwich and possesses a texture that allows me to eat that sandwich.

46. Vandil says:

I eat 100% Whole Wheat bread. Once you’re used to it, white bread just tastes like cheap bread.

47. MrsLopsided says:

I stay away from Sara Lee breads and bagels. They are bland, tasteless, and turn to mush in my mouth – but they do have mmm-mmm-good All American HFCS. :)

48. BoredOOMM says:

Most “wheat” bread is less healthy than white bread. I prefer the kind with 100 kinds of grain and seeds. I see “micro-cellulose” bread back on shelves. Your “diet” will never benefit from sawdust as an additive.

49. brio says:

FYI: not all ‘wheat” bread if real wheat. The package needs to say 100% whole wheat. I ditched white bread a long ass time ago when I wanted to lose weight and be healthier. I LOVE wheat bread and so does my husband. And we buy real wheat bread not white bread that is the colot of wheat bread but is technically still white bread.

If you dislike wheat bread, it’s probably because you didn’t give your taste buds enough time to acquire a new taste. I use to drink coffee with flavored creamer. I ditched that, too, and now I drink it black. It was gross as first but I am use to it now. America has some the most unhealthy people in it anyways. A bunch of over weight people that could care less about buying healthier items. You know, the people that order a diet coke with their extra large value meal.

p.S.- wal mart sells 100% whole wheat bread at a very cheap price. And I mean cheap. And it’s not white bread disguised as wheat bread.

50. Bob says:

I eat more Wheat Bread if it has more fiber. It is all about the fiber people. Otherwise the wheat bread is just a brown version of white bread. In most cheap wheat bread there is no “magical” properties in it. It will not cure cancer or stop heart disease or create peace on earth or stop reality from sucking so much. It is just bread.

51. PsiCop says:

The thing about grocery-store white bread is that it has no taste whatsoever. I have never understood why anyone would buy it, let alone eat it.

That said, I grew up in a home where all the white bread we ever had was homemade. We did occasionally have store-bought bread, but that was always rye or, rarely, whole wheat. I still follow this same pattern: If I want white bread, I bake it myself; if I buy bread, it’s rye, or whole-grain, or whatever. Even then, I occasionally bake my own rye bread.

So I admit my own personal experience has jaded me where grocery-store white bread is concerned.

52. Dallas_shopper says:

I ditched white for wheat over a decade ago but people still need to read labels. Some of those wheat breads are just as bad or worse than their fortified/fiber-enriched white counterparts.

People still need to be mindful of the amount of HFCS, sodium, etc. in their bread. Get one that has as much fiber and as little sugar as possible. Those breads are denser, which I prefer. :-) Try it!

53. CFinWV says:

I never really liked white bread. Give me rye (with seeds) or pumpernickel any day!

54. gafpromise says:

I haven’t touched white bread in years. Although I still eat muffins and pastries, etc. which are probably made with regular white flour.

55. yzerman says:

We ditched for wheat bread years ago. However I agree its still made with HFCS in it which is still bad for you but at least its a improvement.

56. sofiaEQ says:

Back in the 70’s I switched from fluffy white bread to Peppridge Farms or Arnolds white bread because it tasted better. Back in the 90’s I found Alvarado Street sprouted grain breads. If you read the panel on the bread you find it has more of everything you need than regular “wheat” breads. And don’t forget that “wheat bread” does not necessarily mean “WHOLE wheat bread,”
    especially since most white bread is made from wheat and is therefore, also wheat bread.

57. Jillie says:

Almost all bread is wheat bread. Even white bread. I suppose we should feel encouraged that people are increasingly buying bread they think may be healthier, but they are probably being fooled. Unless the label and ingredients list say 100% whole wheat, the loaf is probably only white bread masquerading — under cover of molasses coloring and a handful of whole wheat and a few seeds — as something more wholesome.

58. LarsimusBogartimus says:

Ditched white for wheat or grain or oat of many kinds back in April of 2009.

White bread hits your bloodstream just like a huge dollop of sugar.

Ditch the Whitey !!!

59. VashtiDuty says:

White wheat is the best. Deliciousness of white and the health benefits of wheat.

60. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I gave up white bread (not baked at my local bakery) 10 years ago, my freshman year of college.

I gave up HFCS four years ago (although I had limited my intake for a long time prior to that). There are finally plenty of store-bought breads that offer whole grains AND no HFCS.

61. Carlee says:

I eat mostly wheat bread (not sure if it’s actually wheat bread or just bread colored to look like wheat) but I miss my white bread… nothing like a pbj sandwich on newly bought white bread.

I know it’s not healthy (the white bread, that is) but I don’t care.

62. kataisa says:

FYI, according to this site these breads have HFCS:

Pepperidge Farm’s line of 100% whole grain breads
    Sara Lee Heart Healthy Whole Grain Bread.
    Thomas English Muffins
    Brownberry Breads
    Wonderbread

Here’s a longer list of breads with HFCS:

63. chaosnoise says:

I’ve always eaten wheat bread. I eat 2 sandwiches 4-5 times per week for lunch and not once have I gotten white bread. I had white bread when I was a little kid and it just tasted like eating a sponge so never again!

64. I wumbo. You wumbo. He- she- me... wumbo. Wumbo; Wumboing; We'll have thee wumbo; Wumborama; Wumbology; the study of Wumbo. says:

What the hell is white wheat bread?!