I Used Twitter To Score Free Concert Tickets And Get Cruel Live Nation Security Guard Fired

Jess took her ailing mom to see an American Idol concert in Massachusetts but was mistreated by employees who were less than willing to accommodate her mom’s special needs. The next day she took to Twitter, fired off a couple complaints and spurred Live Nation to make things right.

Here’s her story of how Jess bent the mighty near-monopoly to her whims in fewer than 280 characters:

Early last week, a friend, and I attended the American Idol’s live tour. My mother is on oxygen and is awaiting a lung transplant, so we wanted to arrive there early to ensure we got a space near the door. The doors opened at 6:30, and we got there at about 5:30 or so.

We got to the gate and realized there were no benches or seats anywhere for my mom to sit in while we waited. There was a plastic lawn chair just inside the venue’s handicapped entrance, so a I approached the security guard, and explained that my mother was handicapped and asked him if we could use that chair since no one had been sitting in it. He told me there was no way that he would let us use that chair, he said that “there are rocks in the parking lot, go sit on one of those”.

I thought that was incredibly rude, but I knew I was getting nowhere with this guy, so I just walked away. As I was walking away, he starts talking to the ticket taker that was standing at the gate with him. He says “These handicapped people want everything. First they want chairs, then what? If you’re so handicapped don’t come this early, or better yet don’t come at all”. The 3 of us are obviously very angry at this point. I walk up to him and the ticket taker and tell him that it’s not cool that he is making fun of handicapped people, especially while he is working at the handicapped entrance. He and the ticket taker just laugh at me. My mom yells at him “I hope you never become handicapped” and he yells back “I hope I do!”.

At this point I begin trying to get this guy’s name, none of the other employees will tell me, so I do the next best thing. I take a picture of him with my cell phone. He asks a nearby police officer what he can do if someone is trying to take a picture of him that he doesn’t want taken. The officer says nothing and ends up walking away. I get the picture, and a picture of the ticket taker and that’s that last time I saw him. He walked away and never came back. I posted the photo on twitter immediately and tagged @liveNation in the tweet.

Once inside the venue we seek out the guest relations department. We end up talking to the assistant general manager of the venue who says she knows exactly who we are talking about and says she will speak to him. She apologizes and offers us an upgrade to our tickets. We were sitting in section 8, so we were thrilled to get an upgrade to section 2.

We didn’t let this bad experience stand in the way of us enjoying the concert. We all had a great time. But it’s not over yet. When we arrived home, I checked my twitter. My post to @livenation had been retweeted by some of my followers, and I had a response from livenation asking me to email them more information. So I emailed them my story, along with the photos I took of the employees.

The next day, around 7 p.m. at VP from Live Nation called me to apologize. He said he spoke with the security guard, and said that while our stories were a bit different, he pretty much confirmed what happened. He then told me that the security guard was terminated, and the ticket taker was relocated to a different department. He a also invited us back to the Comcast Center to give them another chance, and sent us 3 tickets to see Rihanna and Ke$ha in a couple weeks.

Through the power of Twitter, and the excellent customer service of live nation, my problem was fully researched, investigated, and resolved within less than 24 hours.

The two posts that got the ball rolling are here and here.

Twitter has proven to be an effective customer service outlet. If you’ve used it to set a corporate monolith straight, share your story in the comments.

Comments

1. RyansChestHair says:

UGH! Every time I see Ke$ha on tv, I feel like I instantly get herpes or some other std that I wouldn’t be surprised she has. In any case, what a great ending to this story. I’m completely shocked that LiveNation did right, but very pleased they did.
    Every one deserves to be treated with respect, well-except for Ke$ha.

• BadgerPudding says:

Your comments come off as a bit misogynistic. Why the need to bash anyone?

• RyansChestHair says:

Bashing? Get a grip, miss honey.

• kc2idf says:

Misogynistic? Nah. He just doesn’t like Ke$ha. I see no harm in that.

• qwickone says:

I totally disagree about it being misogynistic – have you seen her?? She looks like the human version of hot garbage. I’m equal opportunity though. I wouldn’t touch The Situation from Jersey Shore with a 10 ft pole because he looks like he’s probably covered in herpes too.

• pantheonoutcast says:

I had no idea what or who a “Kei$ha” is. Sounds like a low-rent, discount-bin rap “artist”. So, naturally, I Google-search “Kei$ha” and one of the first links is, surprisingly, a picture of some white trash “entertainer” with sperm on her stomach on a site full of idiots who care about such things. And so my foray into understanding contemporary pop culture meets a swift, but neccessary end.

• Doubts42 says:

How is it misogynistic to dislike one artist? I don’t like prince, am I racist?

• Conformist138 says:

What is more sexist, a smart woman portraying herself as a moronic bimbo for money, or someone saying that such things are not deserving of our respect?

Ke$ha is… I don’t know what’s worse: how stupid she acts, or the fact that she’s really not.

• Project_J187 says:

She’s a 16 year old girl singing about sex, blowing people and getting wasted. Why the need to defend a degenerate (even if it is “just an act”)

• chalkboard17 says:

You know she got a 1500 on her SATs, right? What’d you get?

2. trey says:

that was a great story.

• cash_da_pibble says:

I agree- using technology to be an informed and intelligent consumer, and winning out in the end!
      I wish Consumerist would post more stories like this- like they used to- and not some of the re-hashed web stories they’ve been doing lately.

3. waltcoleman says:

Well done! The prick got what he deserved, and I’m glad to hear LiveNation stepped up.

• ShadowFalls says:

It is kind of sad. In this bad economy where jobs aren’t so easy to come by, it is surprising to see someone so openly risk their job like that. I am sure there is one person happy now that there is a vacancy in employment.

• Enduro says:

Well, he essentially said he hopes he becomes handicap. I would dare say he’s not a “look before you leap” kinda guy. Perhaps blind leaping will be the cause of his future handicap.

• ChuckECheese says:

The urge to be a bossy jerk competes mightily with the urge to keep one’s job. The former often wins.

4. Alvis says:

Ke$ha? Sounds like punishment.

5. bonzombiekitty says:

“sent us 3 tickets to see Rihanna and Ke$ha in a couple weeks. ”

I’d be livid.

6. pantheonoutcast says:

An all-around excellent story. Way to go Jess – my hat is off to you and your calm, quick, tech-savvy thinking.

My night would have pretty much ended with the “go sit on the rocks in the parking lot” comment.

• smo0 says:

I’m with you… I can be patient for a lot of things but blatant rudeness from someone in the service industry… the press-ons and the weave come off!

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Maybe I should get in on this “Twitter” thing…

• GuJiaXian says:

I don’t even have an account. No desire for one, either.

• econobiker says:

Could come in handy for those p-i-t-a customer service situations. Some companies even have full time social network monitors now…

8. axiomatic says:

First off, good job LiveNation for handling this with respect.
    Kudos to Jess as well for keeping it civil yet still stating your displeasure.

9. ARPRINCE says:

Man that’s just NOT RIGHT! He’s a mean man……he gives new meaning to word D O U C H E!!!

10. ExtraCelestial says:

I’m surprised they were so open about his termination, but very glad he was. What disgusting behavior. I’m happy to hear they still had a good time.

• jurupa says:

I am not. The last thing any company wants is someone with a disability to come after them because they got mistreated.

11. smo0 says:

“The next day, around 7 p.m. at VP from Live Nation called me to apologize. He said he spoke with the security guard, and said that while our stories were a bit different, he pretty much confirmed what happened. He then told me that the security guard was terminated, and the ticket taker was relocated to a different department.”

Ticket taker TOTALLY sold his ass out….

I’ve seen this in retail… if something goes down with more than one employee involved, the first to speak up usually keeps his or her job.

• Preyfar says:

Usually they get a slap on the wrist, but the honesty is what saves our ass.

• Conformist138 says:

You betcha. I’ve covered for co-workers’ mistakes and each time I look at them and say “This mess is your fault, I will help you fix it, but if it’s you or me, I’m not going down for you.” Remember kids, if you get caught with drugs, don’t roll on your dealer, but never get fired for the chick in the next cubicle who can’t ever get her paperwork filed correctly.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the gate guy was more the bully type while the ticket taker was more nervous. Could be wrong, they could both be nasty men, but I get the idea that the ticket taker was more guilty of laughing along and running away at first opportunity.

Lastly: how much is it gonna suck to be that guy now? Not only out of a job, but now his photo is all over the net with a nice caption explaining how he makes fun of disabled people.

• smo0 says:

I often wonder about the “Slip ups” people make in this day and age… everyone has a cell phone… usually with a camera… everything’s blown out of proportion (not that this was, by any means) and boiled down to a sound bite or “a picture’s worth 1000 words.)
        Not that I’m advocating, “keep your biased and nastyness at home” because it comes through no matter what, if you ARE that type of person… BUT… unless you’re really stupid and do not care about reprocussions – people really need to be more aware of the consequences of their actions when dealing with people publically…. you just never know who’s filming.

12. grumpskeez says:

Pics and scans of all tickets or this is just a live nation PR stunt.

13. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

That sounds about right for the Comcast Center. A few years ago when it was still the Tweeter Center I was dating a legally blind person who didn’t have a drivers license because well… she was blind. Being 24 years old she tried to buy a beer and they told her you had to be over 25 to buy beer without a valid MA driver’s license or liquor id. Despite her assertions that she was legally blind and could not obtain a driver’s license they insisted she provide them with at least a MA liquor license to prove she was 24 because a valid MA ID is for insurance bullshit reason not valid proof of anything.

For those who don’t live in MA the only difference between a normal MA ID and a MA liquor ID is an extra $30 and a small red mark that says Liquor ID under your name. Everything is exactly the same, all the watermakrs, hidden birth dates etc. So it’s pretty absurd that it’s not good enough proof of age, but alas it’s some insurance asshole decided it’s not. We can probably all agree it’s pretty effed up because if you’re already planning on faking an ID why not just fake the Liquor One then? Really nothing at all is different except from some simple to fake red ink.

Anyways long story short, they won’t sell her a beer because she’s only 24 and as everyone knows the legal drinking age in the USA is 25? So I say calm down and I ask the bar tender if I just buy two for myself does that work for everyone? The bar tender seems to have no problem with that so I give her my ID, she sells us two beers and we go on our way.

About 35 seconds later a Security Guard jumps out of the bushes and asks to see her ID. Clearly the beer wench summoned him right after we walked away. He also says that she’s not legally allowed to drink because she’s only 24 and can’t drive so confiscates her $8 beer despite any protest of our about being blind and not being able to legally obtain a driver’s license.

Way to be compassionate assholes. You could have at least told me no when I bought the beer and I would have went on my way but then you’d be our $8 of blind girl money. I hope you feel like a big man from taking a legally purchased $8 beer away from a blind girl who was of legal age.

In summation, fuck that place, I strongly urge anyone considering attending a show there to just watch the band you want to see on YouTube and save your money. It’s about the same quality as the TV you’ll be watching because your seats sucks and you can’t see anything or the gestapo threw you out for looking at them wrong.

• Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

Well she wasn’t actually drinking the beer…just holding on to it for you…

• slyabney says:

I understand how it may be hard for her to obtain a license but if they just accept her word for it on her age, who do they not accept it for? If another person with similar vision issues who is 18 comes up to the booth and argues this do they just give him the beer with out proof?

The problem isn’t her age, it’s the inablity to prove it to them/law enforcement. They’d be in a lot more trouble than being out your money for selling to an underage person since they couldn’t verify the age with a government issued ID. And the person would be out of a job.

• johnva says:

Except that he said she HAD a government-issued ID, that they refused to accept. So she did prove her age. They just didn’t think it was the right KIND of ID. They should have just let it go.

• extrudedcow says:

If state law exposes them to liability if the non-liquor ID is used, it would be incredibly stupid to serve someone alcohol. I don’t care who you are, but I’m not going to risk having to pay tens of thousands of dollars in liability just so you can have a beer.

Quite frankly, someone being legally blind would make me even more cautious about serving them alcohol. Tripping on an unseen object while too intoxicated to avoid falling could lead to a very expensive hospital trip.

Just because it’s a stupid law doesn’t mean it’s stupid to follow it.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Sorry I should have been clearer, she provided them wiht her Mass ID which is a valid state issued ID card comparable to a license in everywhere except you can’t obviously drive with it. This cards sole purpose is for people who cannot/won’t drive for whatever reason but need an ID.

• satoru says:

Unfortunately the establishment is responsible if they serve alcohol to someone with a Mass ID, but have some protections if they have the Mass Liquor ID

So they’re well within their right to refuse serving your friend alcohol, since they are liable if they do. Feel free to contact your useless state legislator to address this issue. But what they did was perfectly legal.

• johnva says:

Maybe legal (questionable, since they confiscated paid-for property from an adult after serving them). Definitely a jerk move, given that conversely there is no law forcing them to do that, either.

• sirwired says:

I will mention that Liquor laws in many states REQUIRE ID to be checked if the consumer appears to be under age X. No ID, no booze. If they fail to comply (or sell beer to somebody that is probably going to give it to the no-ID customer), they can lose their license.

All states have a “walkers license” available; also acceptable would be a passport.

• Pepster says:

You should have accidentally spilled both beers on him…

Then insisted to his supervisor that they replace the beers he knocked out of your hands.

• tomok97 says:

So this guy should have violated the state’s liquor laws and risked a hefty fine for himself and his employer and quite possibly jeopardized his job because your friend didn’t want to plunk the down the extra $30 for the liquor ID? Admittedly, it’s a dumb law. But most states have some sort of arcane, byzantine aspect to their liquor laws. It’s not this guy’s responsibility to become the Rosa Park’s of Bud Light because your friend doesn’t have the proper state issued ID. As for selling you the beer and then immediately seizing it, that was BS. Most venues allow 2 beers per ID but you still have to be 21 (and able to proof it) in order to drink the beer.

• johnva says:

She did prove it, in my opinion. People need to loosen up about stupidity like not having the “liquor endorsement” (sounds like a money-making scam on the state’s part) when they KNOW the person is of legal age. It really isn’t that big a deal in the end.

• erinpac says:

It looks like the state ID requires less identification if under 18 when it is first issued (and then renewed).
          They let you use a liquor one to get a state one but I see no allowance for the other way. With the warnings everywhere on the forms, pages, etc that the state ID will not be accepted most places for liquor, and them both costing the same, it seems like the only reason to get the state ID version would be if under 21 when it was issued?

I don’t see how they can be blamed for not accepting it – there’s no way some hourly employee is going to take that risk against a company policy with extra insurance/legal threat. They shouldn’t have taken the paid for beer, but if you give alcohol to someone they won’t sell it to that’s pretty par for the course too. They should have just warned you not to buy one to give to her, as that was obviously your intention.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Well it’s not a state law it’s a corporate policy, I might not have been clear in my original post but she had a valid Massachusetts issued state ID, just not the liquor version. I’m not sure why that’s not considered good enough to prove your age because it seems pretty useless otherwise but anyways, not law, policy.

I’m not asking anyone to get themselves fired over it, but the whole selling two beers to me than waiting till I paid $8 then snatching them up thing was pure bullshit. Just don’t sell them to me then. This guy also had nothing to do with the sale, he popped up literally out of nowhere after we out of sight of the beer stand. So had he done nothing it wouldn’t have been his problem anyways as he nothing to do with the sale and in the eyes of the law everything was kosher.

Let’s be humans here, this girl has to deal with enough shit day to day being blind now she’s gotta take shit from security guards when all she wants to do is listen to some music and execute her legal right to have a beer.

• RandomHookup says:

It’s a weird law and doesn’t always makes sense. For the longest time, foreign passports weren’t acceptable since they weren’t included in the law (real fun for the ’94 World Cup visitors) and a valid Green Card still doesn’t fall under the law either.

Here’s a link to the law: http://www.mass.gov/abcc/enforcement/tools.htm It’s only about liability…it doesn’t say a business can’t accept out-of-state driver’s license,etc.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

I worked in MA for a store that got fined for selling (either cigarettes or booze, can’t remember which), to an underage person without proper ID. It was before I worked there, but everyone remembered the $2000+ fine they had to pay.

• johnva says:

So, having looked into this some more, it seems that due to some ridiculous quirk in the laws up there, the state does not provide any legal protection to the person selling booze if someone shows them a faked “regular” ID that is not a “liquor” ID. It appears that there is no law saying that they can’t sell you booze without a liquor ID, but they aren’t as protected from liability if they are caught selling to someone underage who lied about their age.

Seems pretty stupid to me, on the part of the laws. And it’s also pretty dickish, in any case, for them to pull what they did. No one forced them to be dicks about an obviously benign situation.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Yeah that’s the insurance thing I was referring too, it’s a really weird liablitly thing. It’s like they’re basically telling people you might as well fake the liquor ID if you’re making fake IDs. Really doesn’t make sense, why have two at all? Why would a valid state ID not be valid proof of age but one with the added words, “liquor ID” be fine?

Again I’m not saying they didn’t have the right to refuse to sell us beer for this reason, just that they were complete and total fucking dicks about it much they were to the OP although not to that extrememe. To be fair other establishments had also refused her service for the same reason. Chilis being one, they just weren’t complete and utter cocks about it.

Point being, you just want to go to a show and have a few legally purchased beverages you shouldn’t be made to feel small and insignificant by the staff.

• johnva says:

It seems really stupid to me. Probably the simplest solution would be to just get the stupid liquor ID.

But yeah, what struck me as extra-stupid about what they did in your story is that they sold you the beer and then took it away. That makes it different, in my view, from them just refusing to take your money. Call me old-fashioned, but I don’t think that private security guards should just be allowed to steal the legally obtained property of an adult like that. It’s yours, once they sold it to you.

• Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Yeah that’s totally the easiest thing to do but it’s kind of resigning to a dumb policy My real question is why should you have to pay another $30 for a liquor ID when you have valid state issued ID that proves you’re 24 years old? What’s baffling is that they are seriously identical with the exception of a line that says “Liquor ID” in red.

Now you could argue that the liquore ID provides better proof that you’re over 21 because nobody with a Liquor ID could possible be under 21 and it’s easier for bouncers to identify. But MA already has a Vertical orientation on their IDs if you’re under 21 and a horizontal one if your over which makes it quite easy to spot. So why the need for another ID that has all the same protections?

• dg says:

This is why I don’t go to concerts… No need for an ID at my kegerator or fridge :-)

And best of all, it’s not $8/beer… For $8/beer, I want some extra service with that beverage…

14. ColoradoShark says:

Good on the copy for saying there is nothing to do when getting your picture taken in public.

And the obvious reply to the guy saying he wished he would be handicapped would be to arrange it, if you know what I mean.

15. agold says:

Yeay for Twitter!

And yeay to Jess for taking her mom to a concert and sticking up for her!

16. yankinwaoz says:

I once snapped a pix of the doorman at a LA Hotel who was shaking down my cab driver for $20 for the privilege of picking me up. I wrote a letter to the hotel manager, with the pix. The manager wrote back apologizing and said he would investigate. I don’t know if the doorman got fired. I certainly hope so.

• Doubts42 says:

That’s actually pretty common. I doubt the manager did/said anything about it. In dallas 10 years ago the standard kickback when calling for a ride to the airport was $20 for a cab and $30-$40 for a towncar or limo. The bellboys have lists of drivers eager to pay the kickbacks and other lists of drivers that pay less or don’t pay.

The good bellboys would remove drivers who were discourteous, drove filthy cabs, etc, but since they will see the driver everyday, and usually won’t see the guest again after they leave, they have a better relationship with the driver.

17. Hank Scorpio says:

“the excellent customer service of live nation”

I understand all the words, but that sentence makes no sense!’

18. Jersey_Guy says:

A few months ago, I attended a Minor League baseball game of a team that uses Facebook a lot to promote themselves. When a certain food stand took way too long for my order and other people’s orders, I sent a Facebook message to the team about my experience. Five minutes later, I get a notification on my phone asking where I was sitting. After telling my section and seat, a promotional manager came by and apologized for the inconvenience and gave me a $20 gift card for merchandise or food in the stadium and 2 tickets for an upcoming game. Not saying that will work for every mishap at a sporting event, but it couldn’t hurt!

19. FrugalFreak says:

Bet they hired the guy back somewhere else.

• Mobius says:

Yeah. He’s probably an executive for the company now. “We like that kind of moxy!”

• travisPickle says:

Sure!! Because the one thing that every entertainment venue needs is obnoxious employees making fun of the patrons.

Economy sucks and these venues know it…. Security guards are easier to come by than good publicity.

20. aintgotone says:

Wow, time to sign up for a twitter account.

21. scoccaro says:

Treat everybody how you would want your mother (or grandmother, or aunt or father, or child or uncle…) treated.

22. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Live Nation got off real easy per Americans with Disabilities Act – Title III. Businesses have been sued to death for less. I know of one that got sued into bankruptcy for having a small step in the entrance to the business that the property owner didn’t make wheelchair accessible.

23. HeatherLynn30 says:

He should have been fired for that lame comeback, if nothing else.

You hope you become disabled someday, dude? Um…zing?

24. jaubele1 says:

I love that the guy’s image was shared via a “TwitPic” :)

25. hey_chris says:

Live Nation does something right? jigga-whaaa?

26. nkash001 says:

Good for you, Jess. I’m sorry your poor mom had to endure the discrimination. What a jerk! Sounds like he got his just desserts and that you were properly compensated for his behavior. Good on Live Nation for the quick response.

27. nybiker says:

So does this event help the folks at comcast during the next WCIA? What about live nation? Does it keep them out of the contest?
    I didn’t even know that comcast is corporate john in the naming rights business. Good to know.

Notwithstanding all that, it’s good to see the power of Twitter and cell phone pix come together.

I like my twitter account so I can keep up with The People of Walmart.

28. biggeek says:

“sent us 3 tickets to see Rihanna and Ke$ha in a couple weeks.”

Is that compensation or revenge?

29. Splendid says:

sounds typical of the carnival folk that seem to work at all LiveNation venues.

30. mmmmcookie says:

Working in a related job. I know what the guy did was not cool. But, if you have a disability calling the venue the week of would not only help your guest but get them great a accommodating seats.

31. almightytora says:

I would just love to see that guy’s face now as he is probably trying to collect unemployment now (or probably can’t because he got fired from Livenation)… better yet, a possible scene from a job interview:

“So, what happened to your Livenation job?”
    “I made fun of a handicapped lady, got my picture taken, was tweeted about, and here I am.”

What an ass that guy is.

32. lawgirl502 says:

1st of all, AI the tour? Spare me. 2nd, twitter is f’n idiotic and for pathetic people who think that others actually give a shi* what they do. 3rd, perhaps she should have contacted Make A Wish foundation instead, since her mother was clearly in a grave state and would likely qualify for a rock star wish. 4th, poor mother and all, but I don’t think she should put herself in a situation which is even more detrimental to her health

33. JANSCHOLL says:

I love this! What a terrific story. Now eveyone reading this, go sign up for organ donation. Because Jess’ mom could be your little brother or cousin or kid across the street. You cant take it with you so let life go on.

• mandy_Reeves says:

I’ve always been leery of that urban legend where, if you sign up to have your organs donated, and you are on life support, they won’t work as hard to save you so they can have the organs…’sides, I’m a weird blood type, so I doubt my organs are compatible for most people.

34. pot_roast says:

I think a bigger story is that the cop said “Sorry, nothing I can do” about you taking photographs. We keep seeing stories of photographers being harassed, so that’s new.

35. skapig says:

I don’t think it’s Live Nation that staffs the venue. They are the promoter. That being said they are responsible for the overall experience and are certainly big enough to have a lot of sway. I’m a promoter myself (and have co-promoted with them) and would be pissed if this happened at my event. I can’t imagine any venue managment being happy to learn about such a story and would be more than happy to deal with morons on staff who may open them up wide to a lawsuit.

You have to give the VP credit for dealing with the situation personally. As we know all too well here, many would do that.

36. jaredwilliams says:

wow what a prick that guy is. I hope he DOES end up getting bit in the butt by karma. Good luck to your mother, I hope she isn’t handicapped like that for much longer.

37. burnedout says:

Did they release his name? I’d love to see the Internet unleashed upon him…

38. eribre says:

Just saw this story on a local Boston news site.

Same story as the one posted here but it’s a guy name Peter, not a woman named Jess. Same mom…same Twitter story. What gives?

• Cyori says:

I’m the same person. I was using a family member’s email address when I sent the story, I forgot the tell consumerist what my name actually was.