Yeah, But You Have To Admit It Was Kind Of Overpriced Last Year

Reader Matt says, “Just writing to share the fantastic deal we got on a lampshade last night at IKEA.”

Comments

1. rpm773 says:

And so it begins….runaway deflation!

2. Angus99 says:

Apparently the lampshade somehow also got you high last year.

3. Draygonia says:

Sign error. Funny. Haha. Good one consumerist!

4. aintgotone says:

Erserud sounds like a lampshade’s name.

5. mykie says:

Did Ikea merge with Target?

Are they going to start “Instant Substituting” wobbly CD racks for particle board bathroom cabinet doors?

6. Smashville says:

To be fair, last year’s model came with 3 ounces of heroin and a wish.

7. obits3 says:

Maybe last years model had big, small, and ginormous light bulbs =)

8. NarcolepticGirl says:

I wish I could shop at IKEA with no more than 6 other customers in the whole store.

Last time, I wanted to look at desks and chairs and apparently thats where parents dumped off kids. Half a dozen kids on the chairs spinning each other around and yelling.

The line downstairs took about 45 minutes.

Couples were arguing.

• Talisker says:

Going to IKEA on a Saturday helps me to understand the high suicide rate in Scandinavia. It isn’t bad if you go on a weekday evening.

• Smashville says:

I love IKEA, but for some reason I always want to punch people when I’m there.

I’ve only been in Atlanta and San Diego…I will say Atlanta’s seemed to be A LOT worse in terms of people that didn’t look to see if there were people in the space that they were walking into.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Try going to the one in Frisco, Texas. It is the land of the self-entitled, Hummer driving, debt-ridden, McMansion whatevers. Truly an exasperating experience.

• mac-phisto says:

oh, dude – that’s my big gripe w/ costco. i seriously want to pour 512-oz. bottles of bleach in people’s eyes when i’m at that place.

& god forbid i get to an aisle where their giving away free samples of pete’s anchovy peanut spread. that’s like fighting rush hour traffic over the GWB.

• rpm773 says:

Couples were arguing.

Yeah, it’s a newlywed proving ground.

Is your marriage strong enough to take the Ikea challenge?

• JMILLER says:

I am not advocating murdering anybody at Ikea or anywhere else, but I know it only takes on sympathetic juror who has been there to get me a hung jury,

9. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

$20 for an Ikea lampshade? Last time I went, I noticed their prices had gotten much higher. I know the point is that is used to “cost” $2000, sheesh, $20 for that? Really?

• rpm773 says:

Indeed. I’ve seen that too.

I was in there a couple months ago looking for a quick, cheap nursing chair for my wife while the glider we had ordered elsewhere came in.

As it was for temporary use, I really didn’t want to spend more than $200, but anything that reclined with some cushioning was well over that..$350..$400..etc. Finally I settled on something around $120 that expected one to buy a $80 covering…which I didn’t.

10. Martha Chang says:

IKEA (IKEA)/Just a boat and some chairs and a handful of Norsemen/IKEA (IKEA)/Selling furniture for college kids and divorced men…

11. rahntwo says:

What a deal! They cut the price by 00.

12. quirkyrachel says:

Last year’s model came with diamonds. But you had to affix them to the shade yourself using a non-standard screw driver.

13. CyGuy says:

But don’t you feel ‘shade’nfreude for anyone who bought one for $2k last year? I know I do.