Your Xbox Sells You Movie Tickets

Microsoft has struck a deal with MovieTickets.com that allows the company to sell gamers tickets through the Xbox 360. Sorta.

According to WebProNews, the service piggybacks onto movie ads on Xbox Live. Players can click on the ads and get prompts to use their mobile phones to activate a Microsoft-created tag that lets them buy movie tickets.

Would you buy movie tickets through your phone thanks to coaxing from your video game machine? If you’ve used the service let us know how it worked out.

MovieTickets.com Partners With Xbox Live [WebProNews]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Great, so now I have to buy the XBox Office adapter so my Xbox can print out movie tickets?!

2. jason in boston says:

If it is cheaper than the Costco or MIT tickets I’m in.

3. chucklesjh says:

I’m guessing it’ll be the “buy them on your phone and pick them up at the theater” crap. Paying a service fee and still having to wait in line is bullshit. At the theaters around where I am, they give you crap about printing out tickets saying they could be forged easily. Well if that’s the case, they shouldn’t have signed up to be a partner on movietickets.com

• shepd says:

It’s so lame when they do that. These sorts of things have unique codes printed on them. These codes can be verified that they haven’t been used. Takes seconds. The effort is minimal. I think I’d have to tell an employee saying that “Do your job…”

• Destron says:

It’s not really as lame as you think. People find ways to manipulate the system all the time and come up with codes that work multiple times until they get caught. It’s worse with coupons, where I live most retailers refuse to take internet coupons at all because they are forged so much. About a month ago there was a coupon floating around for a FREE PS3 Slim that would actually ring through at a Walmart, Target, or Best Buy. Naturally that one got shut down pretty quick but lesser fake ones usually get accepted a LOT before someone realizes they are fake.

4. zegolf says:

If it’s anything like the actual website, you’re going to have to pay an extra dollar service-fee to make the purchase. Hmm…company saves money by not printing tickets or paying to ship them…and yet…still charges the consumer a fee?

I’ll just use the kiosk at my theater while watching the folks who don’t realize you don’t have to wait in line anymore, thank you very much.

• JoeDawson says:

I see people in 20 person deep lines (or more!) COMPLAINING about how long they have to wait when there are THREE empty kiosks at the side with zero wait.

• IMADV8 says:

They waive the fee if you have their free moviewatcher card. I think it gives you a free movie ticket once every ten tickets or so, too. Annoying that you have to get yet another membership card, but definitely worth it.

5. Murph1908 says:

And I don’t want such ‘services’. I don’t need another screen I’ll never use clogging up my dashboard.

• zegolf says:

I’ve actually already seen this for “Inception”. It’s not another screen, just a panel on the “My Xbox” channel, or whatever is there when you first start up the console. It provides a link to the trailer, and at the end of the trailer, asks if you want to buy tickets. It’s really, actually, quite unobtrusive.

6. El_Fez says:

What the hell makes people think I want all this crap? I want my video game console to do one thing: play video games. That’s it. I don’t want it to play DVDs, I don’t want it to print out movie tickets, I don’t want it to chat with friends, I don’t want it to massage my feet. I just want gaming.