Wells Fargo Finally Stops Objecting To My Marriage

Jennifer wrote earlier this month about Wells Fargo’s inability to come to terms with the fact that she is a married woman who changed her last name. Maybe the bank had a thing for her and couldn’t deal with her not being single anymore. Whatever the case, Wells Fargo finally corrected her name on the accounts.

She writes:

A couple days after reading the comments on the post, I called WellsFargo, determined to try once more. One more chance. The customer service rep who took my call carefully checked the name on all my accounts, at my request, and told me that she believed the problem to be a simple spelling error. She put me on hold to check with her supervisor, and when she came back, she said that her supervisor agreed, that yes, this issue was in the category of spelling error. Fixing a spelling error would simply require a form. She filled out paperwork to make the correction, and had my card reported as damaged to get a new one sent to me. She further went on to recommend to me that I get my debit card customized as it was very similar in color to the credit card. I had kept my cool through this whole conversation (I was a bit in shock… someone who actually seemed to WANT to help me… who would have guessed?), and I sincerely thanked her at the end. I was still anticipating that the new card that arrived in the mail would have the wrong name, but I decided to wait and see.

I was contacted by Wells Fargo during this interval in regards to the article, and when the card arrived WITH THE CORRECT NAME, I sent a response to them letting them know that while I am still irritated with how long this process took, and the obstacles on the way, that it was thanks to that particular customer rep that I was still their customer. They sent a response back asking if I could give them her full name so they could be sure she would be recognized. I let them know that I have never known a customer rep to give out their last name. I hope they do find her and reward her.

So, I am still a customer of Wells Fargo. And my new card is blue and kinda sparkly in addition to actually having my name on it. I guess that is good.

The blue, kinda sparkly card seems to have made the ordeal all worthwhile. Jealous?

Previously: Wells Fargo Must Hate My Married Name Or Something

Comments

1. Cantras says:

You might try giving them any other information you can remember – “a woman, who took my call around 4:45 friday, sounded southern” — I don’t know how much “sounded Southern” will help in corporate america, but they might be able to swing it at the call center.

Really, how can they not look at your file and see who did it? I’d be concerned about that if there’s no way to see who did good (or bad) things when you called.

• Link_Shinigami says:

I was going to advise to have them check her file, but you covered my fear of the what if there.

When I call people to get stuff done, I always grab a name, initial and rep ID/ticket ID (Bell in Canada gives you those. They are basically the memo ID).

If it’s something that has been done well, I usually forgo all of that and just request a supervisor to praise the rep (Consumerist says to use this as leverage. Never use that as leverage, I’ve had someone try it on me once while at T-Mo, I transfered them to another dept and they were PO’d). Hopefully the info she was able to provide though worked out (She really should have requested the supervisor though to tell them how awesome their rep was/is, but time can work against on that)

• TheSkaAssassin - College Man says:

maybe she got the name but didn’t feel like sharing it with us…

• katstermonster says:

So….she lied when she said she has never known a customer rep to give out their last name? Please elaborate.

• KathleemB says:

Every customer service call center I’ve worked at (and I’ve worked in a LOT of effing call centers…) has given me an ID number to give customers, so reps don’t have to give out names. One place even let us use pseudonyms – we were told “We don’t care what you call yourself on the phones, as long as we know what name you use.”

2. Hoot says:

I would still switch banks. Just because 1 or 2 employees are not completely incompetent, does not excuse the idiocy of every other person she encountered.

3. Etoiles says:

Funny, the one place I had absolutely no trouble changing my name whatsoever was my bank.

(Actually, most places didn’t give me trouble. It was easy, with two glaring exceptions: my job (weeks’ worth of e-mail went missing in the transition, when they finally did it, and I still have two different names on some systems) and my student loans — which are STILL under my old name, despite me having married in October of last year.)

4. oldwiz65 says:

Why in the world would stick with a bank that gave you so much hassle about what should have been a simple thing? If more people would change banks when they get mistreated maybe custome service would improve instead of getting worse when the banks rightly find out that can mistreat customers with no problem.

• Blueberry Scone says:

Sometimes, what happens is – and this is IME, and I’m not saying this happened in the OP’s case – I am all set to flounce and declare that I will never let my shadow darken their doorway again. But if a CSR genuinely wants to help me and moves all of creation to get something to work in my favor, then my anger is diffused and I wind up staying with the company.

5. qbubbles says:

USAA. Srsly.

• Draw2much says:

She’d need to be associated with the military in some way to have USAA. It is not open to everyone.

At least it wasn’t the last time I looked.

• Draw2much says:

I take it back!I guess they opened it up so anyone can join. Just not all services are available to non-military-related members. :)

• Hoot says:

She is a military wife, if you read the previous article. And everyone on that post was saying USAA too.

Also, that’s interesting to know that anyone can use them.

• qbubbles says:

Yep, their sweet ass insurance products are still military only. But the bank accounts are free for all! And yeah, I knew from the previous article that she was a military wife.

6. skapig says:

Any operations that the rep performed are sure to be logged. All the company has to do is look up the customer/account history. Of course that assumes that the company is bright enough to effectively use its system.

Large companies have to design processes and workflows. Sometimes they miss cases. Sometimes they simply train their reps poorly. Some systems are more flexible that others. It’s all in how the company responds to the unanticipated scenario. Smart ones will learn quickly how to prevent the mistake and work to overcome the issue. Others will attempt to avoid the issue and give their customers the run-around.

7. operator207 says:

Wait, do bank CSR’s NOT put in notes, nor does their CMS NOT track who did what to which account?! Every company I have worked for that has a ticketing system or CMS has everyone logging in with their own account (either username or ID number) which can be traced back to the CSR or Supervisor.

I cannot imagine the Supervisor you spoke with didn’t know who you spoke with. In fact I am sure they did. They most likely want you to point them out as some sort of exercise in customer CSR relations.

8. SJ says:

It’s possible that they track her down, and then fire her for filling out a form: a task that probably isn’t in her job description.