Nabisco Crackers About To Get A Whole Lot Wheatier

While fast food companies attempt to outdo themselves with bacon-wrapped, chocolate-glazed triple burgers, the folks at Kraft Foods are actually doing something that will make their Nabisco line of crackers healthier — adding more whole wheat.

Over the next three years, the company says it will increase the whole grain content in more than 100 products, including Wheat Thins, which will see increases in whole wheat anywhere from 200-400%, and Ritz crackers, which are virgins to the entire whole wheat phenomenon.

High in dietary fiber, whole wheat has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, improve digestion and provide essential nutrients.

Said a dude from Nabisco, “People are looking for more whole grains, we know that they aren’t getting enough.”

Kraft insists the decision to jack up the whole wheat content is a response to consumer demand. “We can make products activists or regulators want,” explains a Kraft-y person. “But if consumers don’t eat them, it doesn’t help them or us.”

Kraft will increase whole grains in more than 100 cracker products over next 3 years [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. Alvis says:

So, how is this cheaper for Kraft? Somehow I don’t buy the consumer demand angle.

• evnmorlo says:

Probably another opportunity to shrink sizes (Now with more Whole Grain!!!)

• Martha Chang says:

People are buying more whole wheat crackers than the “regular” kind. Therefore, manufacture more whole wheat crackers to keep up with rising consumer demand.

• rpm773 says:

By “more whole wheat”, they mean they’re leaving in the chaff, leaves, stalk, nuts and bolts that fell off the combine during harvest, etc….

2. perfectly_cromulent says:

personally, i love whole wheat. white bread = disgusting.

the more “whole grain” or “whole wheat” crackers always taste much better to me.

• snarkysniff says:

I could not agree more. I have no idea how people eat that wonderbread and other white flour based foods YUCK! I am looking forward to these changes. Also Ritz has not been immune they sell whole wheat ritz crackers!

• Etoiles says:

Wonderbread is not bread. A fresh crusty French or Sourdough loaf from a reputable bakery, on the other hand, is, like, divinity in food form. Best thing ever. And even a really good whole-grain bread will never have that beat…

• Silverhawk says:

See, I’m the opposite. I can’t stand the flavor of whole wheat bread. I love white bread, especially freshly baked. Yes, most of the commercially available, mass-market white bread out there sucks today, but it’s still better tasting than their whole wheat counterparts.

• sponica says:

its more of a texture thing to me….i used to love white bread as a kid. now i can’t really eat it. it doesn’t fill me up as much so I end up being hungry again in an hour or so.

• nova3930 says:

I’m with you. I even go for steel cut oats over rolled oats….

• Rain says:

Eating white bread is like eating air. There’s no substance to it.

• perfectly_cromulent says:

air with a papery/cardboardish taste.

• Shadowfire says:

You guys are eating the wrong white bread.

That said, good hearty whole wheat breads are better (IMHO), but there are some damn good white breads that are not like “eating air.”

3. sirwired says:

What I’d like to see is the wholesale halt to products prominently labeled as “made with” whole wheat that contain negligible amounts of it. i.e. Wheatsworth crackers, Eggo Waffles “made with 8 grams of Whole Wheat”, etc.

If you are going to trumpet the whole wheat content of the product, then the flour content should be at least 2/3 Whole Wheat.

• CJ SIege says:

This!! It drives me nuts to see products labeled “with whole grain!!”, yet they contain a minimal amount. Also on the list: items that advertise being 51% whole grain. Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, I’m looking at you!

4. Coelacanth says:

Cue the “gluten sensitivity” community, to blame every modern health ailment on our addiction to grain products.

* NOTE: If somebody truly has celiac disease or a legitimate allergy and MUST avoid gluten in their diet, this comment is not directed at you. It’s reserved for people who only *suspect* gluten, corn, rice, et cetera is the cause of some vague illness that nobody can diagnose despite all evidence which doesn’t support their hypothesis.

• Cantras says:

This reminds me that it seems really recent that Rice chex went totally Gluten-free. You’d think they would have realised that market sooner. I’m sure someone went to them and said “look, you’re 99% gluten free, go for that last 1% and hit a whole market of celiac people who are tired of paying 8 dollars a box for cereal made of weird shit”

• sirwired says:

To that, I would like to add the fact that Wheat and Barley have been staples of the human diet for thousands of years. If “Gluten Intolerance” were really as widespread as this current “fad” claims, we all would have been dead a long time ago.

Yes, I can accept that there are people incapable of processing gluten without severe allergic reactions, digestive system problems etc., but that is far fewer in number than the people who claim, contrary to all evidence, that they have some issue with it.

• dorianh49 says:

Yes, wheat has been around for a long time. The wheat our ancestors ate, though, is far different from the genetically modified stuff that’s around today. Same with corn, and a lot of other stuff.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I didn’t realize there was a gluten intolerance fad. This must be a regional thing.

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

It’s definitely alive and well out in Colorado. We have whole sections of “guaranteed gluten-free!” stuff, and I can’t go to the store without hearing some parent talk about how gluten (or corn, or sugar, or any one of a number of other trends) is basically evil and THEIR precious baby will never have any of it because they’re CERTAIN it will cause problems.

The only problem I can see happening is the kid developing an intolerance later in life because it was never exposed to something like wheat.

• mulch says:

I really don’t know anything about this gluten intolerance stuff, I have celiac disease, which has been around at least since Aretaeus of Cappadocia wrote about it in the first century AD (long before that odd woman on The View). About 1 in 130 people have Celiac. If you go to Europe, where screening for celiac disease is more common, there are gluten free options everywhere (Italy has GREAT gluten free pasta). I wish the current boom in gluten free was less of a fad and more of a real advance in awareness of this illness.

• JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

One of my co-workers said that the kids in his son’s school can’t bring peanut butter and jelly because of “peanut allergies”.

No pb&j?? WHAT KIND OF CHILDHOOD IS THAT??

5. dulcinea47 says:

Are they going to remove the trans-fats? Because I might actually eat those things if they got rid of the trans fats.

• Das G says:

Ritz pulls the double whammy with partially hydrogenated oils and HFCS. I’m still not sure why crackers need HFCS.

• Cranky Diva says:

What I really love about Wheat Thins logic is how the current 100% whole grain version contains high fructose corn syrup, while the standard only-mostly Wheat Thins do not. Because really, why would I want both features out of the SAME cracker?

• evnmorlo says:

That the government hasn’t banned added trans fat shows just how well it regulates anything. I don’t think industry even tries to dispute its pathological effects like they do for high-fructose corn syrup.

6. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Since “Wheat” Thins should have been whole wheat all along, I assume the 200-400% will refer to their physical size.

Because Wheat Thins are made from wheat, right? Right?

Damn you, Corporate America!

• OnePumpChump says:

100% HFCS

• benbell says:

They already have 100% WW Wheat Thins.

The tricky thing is that Triscuts ARE and have been 100% WW.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

But they have so much salt in them. Of course, if they didn’t, they’d taste like the box.

I like a little cracker with my salt. My favorite thing (and I’m not doing this anymore) was always to eat them with Vienna sausage smooshed on top. A sodium feast!

7. OnePumpChump says:

How long until I can have whole wheat Oreos?

8. shepd says:

Gross. More items to scratch off my list. I like my bread white and my grains bleached, TYVM. Don’t care about the health effects if it means all my food has to taste like ass the entire time I’m alive.

9. Horselady says:

Yay, Nabisco,
    I rarely eat anything white flour anymore.

I like to eat only things that have nutritional value.

I make an exception for Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, however.

10. frak says:

Kraft Foods, the ones who are advertising “bacon infused cheddar”?

11. Paladingo says:

So Whole Wheat Ritz were never made of whole wheat to begin with?

12. Mr Fife says:

Whole wheat is better for diabetics, so they can now eat these products and use less insulin.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yep, you are mostly right. sadly, it’s not better for about 20% of people who have had diabetes for a long time – that’s the percentage of diabetics who develop gastroparesis [paralyzed stomach] and have to have a low fiber diet. i’m actually new to diabetes but i have gastroparesis from multiple sclerosis. those are the folks [including myself] who can’t eat whole wheat products.

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

Oh these things are so loaded with salt and preservatives they’ll never be healthy. They are delicious, however.

14. justagigilo85 says:

Just as an FYI…

There are raw materials “out there” that the FDA allows food companies to label as “whole wheat” or as fiber on a nutrition facts panel when in fact, it does nothing to curb hunger.

What you’ll see is a loop hole in labeling laws exploited. Please do your homework and check out an ingredient panel!

15. Snoofin says:

And people who dont like the flavor of whole wheat like me wont buy them possibly causing a loss in revenue. Why cant companies leave things alone. If someone wants a “healthier” whole wheat cracker there are already several brands out there. On the other hand, I dont think there is such a thing as a healthy cracker

16. jurupa says:

I am surprise no one here is wondering how much more Kraft is going to charge people for this.

17. Bohemian says:

Whole wheat flour is considerably cheaper than white wheat flour. There is the real answer. Spun all nice as them caring about your health.

18. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

oh yay, another product line to cross off the list of foods that can be eaten by people on a low residue diet [like me]
    i know, you can’t make everyone happy. but i’m just hoping some food manufacturers will recognize that not everyone wants/tolerates the same things and will keep making stuff with refined flour.
    i wonder how long sealed packages of yummy low fiber ritz crackers will keep in my pantry….

19. lordargent says:

and Ritz crackers, which are virgins to the entire whole wheat phenomenon

If I wanted wheat in my ritz, I would buy the wheat ritz.

/they better not make my meatball recipe taste funny, or I might have to go back to bland saltines.

20. AllanG54 says:

I’m just wondering where I can get that bacon wrapped, chocolate glazed burger.