Are Retailers Suddenly Burying You In E-Mail?

Trance has a question for the Consumerist hive mind: Are you receiving more promotional e-mails than you were, say, a year ago? Not spam, but actual retailers that you want to hear from when they have a sale. Trance doesn’t have statistics for this, but thinks that she’s receiving more messages this year than last year, and has had to unsubscribe.

I don’t know if it is just me, but lately (as in the last year or so), the number of store emails I have been receiving has increased 10 fold.

I am on the distribution list for several stores I regularly shop at. I like to be on lists to get notice of special deals and the like. Sadly, I have found myself having to unsubscribe from many lists because I seriously started received at least one email a week. With the store the Limited, I was receiving daily emails! When I went to unsubscribe from The Limited’s email list, it asked if I wanted to just reduce the number of emails to once a week. My question is, who seriously WANTS to receive store emails daily or even once a week??? I just don’t get it.

I’ve noticed this, too: I’m looking at you, New York & Company. If you’re emailing me more than once a week and/or there’s no coupon or notice of a special sale, I’m unsubscribing.

What say you, Consumerists? Are you reaching for the “unsubscribe” button more often?

Comments

1. Consumer David says:

Definitely! I recently unsubscribed to Kohls because they’d email me about their “special sale” 4x a week!

• AstroWorn2010 says:

Everyday it seems is their biggest sale of the season!

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If it’s always on sale, is it ever on sale?

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Oh man. I’m about to unsubscribe.
      But sometimes they’re in-store coupons… and I like to use those.

• infopubs says:

I did unsubscribe, and now I check retailmenot.com or buxr.com for coupons before going to the store. The coupons are easy to find; I don’t need Kohls bombarding me with emails to get them.

• Kingeryck says:

Kohl’s sales are awesome. They jack up the price 200% on the poorest made clothing they can find and then they slash the price back to what the normal price should be. What a deal! This T-shirt was normally $19.99, now its on sale for $8.99! WOW!

2. JennyCupcakes misses her grandson says:

I’ve noticed this too. I don’t mind the restaurant emails so much because they almost always have a coupon attached, but I get double Bath & Body Works emails and it’s driving me nuts. I don’t unsubscribe usually, I just mark them as spam in case I want to shop there and I need a coupon.

• MandaT4213 says:

Marking an email as spam is taking it one step further than unsubscribing. When you mark something as spam, your ESP will take note note of that, therefore lowering that company’s reputation, and increasing the chance that all future emails from that company will be blocked by your junk mail filter. If you are not interested in a company’s email marketing that you initially opted in to, it is better for you and the company if you just unsubscribe. That way, if you decide you are interested in receiving their coupons and what not again sometime in the future, you can simply subscribe once more. If you mark something as spam, the chances of you receiving any further communication from that company, whether you want it or not, is slim to none.

3. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Darn tootin! I’ve been with Amazon for a couple years now, and now it seems like I get about four emails from them, daily–not counting order confirmation or shipping notices. I think I signed up for a promotion with their email notices, so I haven’t dug into my account to remove them yet, but it’s kind of overwhelming. I once bought something off a friend’s wishlist, had it shipped to the friend’s address, and suddenly I was getting emails for that department. Blah.

I’m just glad World Market seems to have forgotten about me … I can’t remember if I blocked or unsubscribed there, but their daily “deals” weren’t even any good. And they’d send them like clockwork. :/

4. damageinc says:

I’ve unsubscribed from pretty much all retailer mailing lists (though sometimes it takes 2-3 tries). If there is a sale or coupon thats worth it, I’ll see it on Slickdeals.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Since Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft are in cahoots with their branding, I always receive both of the e-mails. I’ve been getting them at least twice a week, every week. I get Amazon emails every day (though that’s the deal of the day e-mail, so if it doesn’t come every day, Amazon’s not doing its job).

6. Mr_Human says:

Totally. Gap/BR/Old Navy are so desperate to make sales that I get an email from one of them almost every day. Once a week it seems Banana Republic is offering a 40% off one item sale. I don’t actually mind it too much from them, but Vistaprint (4 times a week), Newegg, etc., it’s a little out of control.

• HannahK says:

No kidding. Every single day I wake up to something in my inbox from The Gap. I could unsubscribe, but I do occasionally like to know when their sale stuff has gone down an extra 40% off or something. I don’t think it’s having the desired effect. I used to read their emails, now I just delete most of them.

7. DavidCopperballs says:

Yes, yes, yes. Land’s End had a sale that started about three weeks ago. I got three e-mails during the first week of July, two last week (detailing a price drop on all sale items) and then two this week again (detailing an additional price drop).

It did allow me to get a price adjustment since I ordered after the first batch of e-mails, but this is definitely a trend. I also just got a smart phone so I’ve started unsubscribing – too many notifications on my phone.

• Dustbunny says:

I seem to get an email every 2 days from Lands End. I don’t want to unsubscribe because I do shop there & want to know about the sales. But sheesh. I don’t need to be reminded constantly that there’s a sale going on.

8. apd09 says:

Remember that email marketing is basically free for companies. With a mailing you have stock, production, postage, design costs, etc… but with an email it is pretty much just pictures and text formatted with minimal design costs.
    Companies are happy to send you twice as much email because it really does not cost much other than the time to set it up.

Plus the golden rule of marketing and advertising is to keep their name in front of you and the more they send, the greater the chance you will buy something that catches your attention. That is my biggest problem with the profiling they do, they track everything you buy and then advertise it back to you.

Harris Teeter makes no bones about telling you they do this and send an email every week saying, “based on your purchasing here are items you might be interested” and then they list a bunch of stuff I have purchased.

9. Cyniconvention says:

Only from AllPosters and Adobe…usually about once a week for both.

10. Stuey says:

Newegg has ramped up their emails as well, although they make it easy to opt out. They used to send 2 newsletters a week typically with different types of deals. Now it’s twice a day – special “deal of the deal” type of emails, and an additional sales notice on most days.

• Rachacha says:

I have noticed an increase in NewEgg advertising, but I don’t mind from them so much because even though I may not be interested in the sale items it is an extremely quick and easy process to review the promo and delete it or investigate further if I see something that catches my eye (We are selling a _______ for $_____ which is a savings of $_____). Compare that to Jos. A. Bank or clothing retailer where they have more complicated rules to the promotion and limitations that you need to read to see if an item you might be interested in is really and truly a good deal.

• PunditGuy says:

I love the Egg, but I finally told them to shove off this week. I’m supposed to get a weekly email, but I’ve been getting one at least daily and sometimes more often than that.

11. Eldritch says:

Yes, mostly from Borders and Anthropologie. American Eagle is bad too. Amazon and eBay send me something once a day at the least.

I’ve noticed a LOT more spam too. I’m trying to figure out who the hell sold my email and I think it was Anthropologie. :(

12. robocop is bleeding says:

Borders has been going bugnutz with spam lately. I used to not mind because at least the emails would contain a coupon, but now its just “here’s some new authors for a genre you have never bought in our store!” junk, no coupon. I couldn’t find an option on their site to have them only send me adverts with coupons.

So they get spam filtered and when I want to go to Borders, I just look for a coupon online. Pity, as a 40% off coupon used to be able to get me to visit the store even if I didn’t need anything.

• enabler says:

Yeah, I think I’m about to unsubscribe from Borders over this, coupons or not. They’d be the third or fourth to meet that fate this year. I do think the volume of emails from companies has gotten worse.

Retailers: I would really only prefer to hear from you once a month or so.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I’m close to unsubcribing from Borders too; Amazon keeps getting more and more of my business, and even though Amazon keeps trying to sell me games for consoles I don’t own … they’re more likely to have spot-on recommendations than Borders.

13. MuffinSangria says:

Yes, definitely noticed this. Get Macy’s, Ann Taylor and Loft emails daily. Getting DSW and Ulta 2 – 3 times a week. Also noticed other misc companies, ones I have not heard from in over a year, have upped their email distribution.

Only advise I can give is unsubscribe or add them to your spam list and setup a separate email address that you give out companies. That way they don’t clutter (or sell) your primary email account and you can look at them at your leisure.

14. keith4298 says:

Yes – news flash – when you have a sale EVERY DAY, that’s no longer a sale. It’s your price.

15. MickeyG says:

I’m getting 2 a week from Costco, and weekly ones from Shoppers Drugmart, Penningtons and Addition-Elle (those are likely all Canadian). Old Navy sends them maybe twice a month which I can handle. Getting sick of all these store emails though!

16. MeOhMy says:

I thought it was just me!

Dear retailers: If I only get an occasional e-mail (at most 1 per week) I will stay on the list on the off-chance something catches my eye. If you send me too many, I will unsubscribe and then you have lost all opportunity to market to me in this way.

I went on a huge unsubscribing binge last weekend.

17. esc27 says:

I setup a rule to move all retail emails (non-spam) to a separate folder on my email account and just ignore them unless I’m going shopping and might could use a coupon.

In the last week. 4 from Kohls, 4 from Sears, 1 from Lowes, and one from Sam’s Club.

18. graciethegrey says:

Land’s End is the WORST. If you don’t tell them to stop you get about 3 emails a DAY. And Ann Taylor is pretty annoying too. And, quite honestly, I kind of wish that Babies R Us could go a few days WITHOUT a sale… it’s sort of exhausting pondering whether laundry detergent will be cheaper after the next six emails.

19. Putts says:

It always amazes me how stores can sign you up for spam instantly, but whenever you want to unsubscribe, it always takes anywhere from 2 to 10 days to be taken off of the list.

20. SerenityDan says:

I get multiple emails a day from Amazon saying “Since you’ve shown interest in….” A lot of times the emails come at 3AM, which once upon a time was no big deal but now every time i get an email my smart phone notification goes off. Sure I could turn off notification but then I wouldn’t hear when an important message came through.

21. KJR52 says:

Yup, I just got fed up and went on an unsubscribe bender in the past week or so. Sending me something once a month, or quarterly when you have a sale and such is fine. But I don’t need to hear from all of these companies daily/weekly.

22. Paul in SF says:

Yep. I’ve noticed too. (Hanes and Lands End, I’m looking at you.)

On a related note, Newegg might do well to stop peering over my shoulder so much. I find it creepy that when I surf their site “window shopping”, I often get an email a day or two later reminding me that I didn’t buy anything last time I was there, providing me with links to other models of similar items.

This comes across to me as the cyber version of the pushy salesman. I don’t know about the marketing geniuses at Newegg, but this consumer tends to spend less time, not more, in stores with pushy sales staff.

You don’t need to hover over me, on-line retailers. I just want to wander around looking at all the neat stuff. I’m not going to steal anything. Quit following me and go back to the register.

• Etoiles says:

NewEgg only sent me an e-mail like that when I actually put items in my cart, but then didn’t follow through (neither emptying the cart nor purchasing the items).

I’ve been kinda sorta drowning in NewEgg e-mail for the past few months but since I just built a new PC in June and sourced 90% of the parts there, it doesn’t surprise me.

• Paul in SF says:

No, this is for stuff that I never put into my shopping cart. For example, the other day I was checking out HTPC cases. I wasn’t looking to buy one, I just wanted to see where things are now with the state of the art, check out the features, read the users’ comments, etc. The next day I get an email to the effect of “We noticed you were looking at HTPC cases. Here are some that you might be interested in”. That’s just a little bit too Big Brother for me.

23. RickN says:

I keep unsubscribing from company lists over this. I don’t need to hear from Amazon or ebay or OfficeMax or anyone on a near-daily basis. Is the company’s marketing plan to annoy me so much that I stop listening to them at all?

24. Draygonia says:

I unsubscribe from anything that does not completely interest me… Heck, the daily deals from some of the sites annoy the crap out of me because they post the same fcking deals every day as if I give a fcking crap about 10% off at kohls. What about deals on specific items? Not ONGOING sales!?

/Rant over

25. the_wandering_monster says:

Yeah, for the past few months I’ve been receiving (at least) one email a day from Amazon…

26. Kilawat12 says:

My college does this actually, and not just my .edu email. to my actual yahoo email. NO TOWSON I DO NOT WANT TO SUMMER TRIMESTER CLASSES!

27. aaron8301 says:

Yes, yes, and yes. And most of the time, unsubscribing doesn’t work (Toys R us!).

28. Trance says:

Yay, my email got on Consumerist, I am famous! :)

The massive amount of store emails make me sad because I WOULD like to know when a good sale is going on. I just don’t have the time to sift through the garbage emails.

29. gqcarrick says:

YES! I got 3 emails a day from American Eagle for a few days in a row, very annoying.

30. AngryK9 says:

I have noticed an increase in the number of emails that Columbia House sends me. USed to be about once a week, now it’s once very two days or so.

31. evilpete says:

32. Etoiles says:

Yeah.

All of my e-mails in this category go to a GMail tag I have called “Sales Pitches,” so I have a hard number right there for me every morning. It used to be that I’d have 1 or 2 first thing and another 1 or 2 over the day. Now I have 6-7 first thing and another 7 – 15 over the course of the day.

Since they skip my inbox I don’t mind so much but it’s definitely increased lately.

33. memagil says:

YES. Came back from vacation last week to find over 80 emails from retailers that i have dealt with. This isnt including spam. Realized that this is just too much time wasted deleting these. Spent the half hour and unsubscribed from all of them.

34. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

I got an email from one company describing why they’ve upped the number of messages sent:

“As you may have noticed, we have been sending frequent emails to you over the past three months. This is a change from our past practices and we wanted to explain the reasons for the change.

For many years, our main channels of distribution were the thousands of retail stores who specialized in selling PC software. Slowly but steadily, these same retail stores have reduced the number and depth of titles on their shelves. While our add- ons are still available at some of these stores, we enjoy much less coverage than the recent past. As a result, we are unable to provide the same, wide availability of our add-ons at the retail level that we once enjoyed. For more details read this blog.

Our goal now is to keep our name and products in front of you so that you can decide if they are of continued interest.”

It also had links for opting out tacked on at the end.

35. kalaratri says:

Ugh, yes. I hate it when they send me 3-4 e-mails about the same damn sale.

36. Brie says:

J.Jill sends me something just about every weekday. The problem with that is I’ve already bought the four things I’m gonna buy from them this summer, already. (I look horrible in most of their summer colors.) And they’re not stocking new merchandise, so their pitchmails amount to “here’s the same stuff that wasn’t right for you yesterday, but with a new picture.”

37. Knittergeek says:

I’m getting e-mails from companies I haven’t done business with in years, and there are a few that I can’t get unsubscribed from. So yes, deifnitely!

38. savvy9999 says:

Don’t ever sign up to receive Macy’s emails. Holy shit.

39. ARP says:

I’ve been getting the initial email about the sale, the reminder about the sale, and the final “Don’t miss out! Ends today!” reminder about a sale. Multiply that by a few stores and it’s buried my inbox.

40. suez says:

Yes, it’s noticable. Because I’ve been a regular customer at times for places like LL Bean, Sephora, Bath & Body Works, and BJ’s Club, I get at least one email EVERY DAY from them promoting the same sales over and over again. It’s incredibly annoying.

41. Invalid_User_Name says:

Pottery Barn thought it would be a good idea to send me an emails saying “Thanks for stopping by” any time I went on the site for a quick second.

I unsubscribed after receiving 10 or so of those emails. I thought it was creepy.

42. zandar says:

yup, i have several gmail filters designed to handle the stuff i can’t unsubscribe from (as in, i opt out, then still get them).

43. scouts honor says:

Yes. I’m getting daily emails from Gap/Banana Republic/Old Navy and Borders. Plus, I receive two to three emails a week from Costco. There were other offenders as well, but I’ve already unsubscribed from those lists. The rest are about to go too. I just don’t have time to read those emails.

44. Just_A_Guy says:

I’ll admit, I’m an email marketer. I pay close attention to what the competition is sending out, and it really does look like a lot of volume is up. We’re also seeing references to Holiday 2010 already. There’s an index publicly available via the Retail Email Blog as well, which shows that retailers have increased sends to subscribers by just under a half an email per week. This is an average across a wide selection of retailers, so it is a substantial increase. Working in the industry, I see a lot of companies turning to email for a quick buck, as each hit prompts sales. What most organizations fail to see is that it drives up inactives (most people just look at unsubscribes), and don’t look at how it decreases the customer value.
    Short answer, yup, we’re sending more. The good ones among us are trying to only add emails where they’re triggered by something you do, not bombard you with sales or new items.

45. kmw2 says:

Yup. I’m up to about five emails a week from an increasingly desperate Borders.

46. Starfury says:

I did an online order w/ in-store pickup for Micro Center (Santa Clara store) and I’ve been getting regular updates in my e-mail for sale items. I tend to just delete them since I’m not in the market for any computer stuff at this time.

47. Marshmelly says:

Once a week? Try once a day. I literally get emails daily (or every other day) from Kohl’s, Delia’s, Borders, Express, New York and Company, Ulta, and Sephora. Bah! I like to shop at these places so I don’t mind getting offers…but I wish they’d at least limit them a bit, especially since most of them aren’t actually coupons but just announcements on products.

48. stlbud says:

Are you kidding? You actually gave them your e-mail address?

49. SugarMag says:

I dont know if is MORE than a year ago – because I am bombarded daily. Each store everyday.

What I find irksome – that is my “reward” for doing business with them. I didnt get spam from Lands end say, until I ordered something from them online – then BAM. Everyday, a “sale” to tell me about.

50. TheWraithL98 says:

i get multiple a day from some places. it does nothing except discourage me from dealing with that retailer.

the worst are the “this is the last day/week/etc of our best deal ever, get in now while you can” and the day after the promotion ends, there’s ALWAYS an email about the next bigger, better limited time promotion

51. MsFab says:

Definitely. Some stores are sending out daily emails, which I had to unsubscribe from. Even Coach is sending out 20% off coupons every week & its driving me crazy…I don’t need a new handbag every week. I understand retailers are hurting, but all the spam just drives me nuts.

52. whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

I’ve unsusbscribed to at least five retailers’ lists this month… Hell if I remember exactly who, but my criteria were the same as Laura’s. I’ve started to unsubscribe anytime a retailer contacts me for no goddamn reason — for example, Rita’s Custard sent me a large graphic with a title that sounded like a 4th of July offer, but was really nothing. With so much commercial email to sort through, I can’t tolerate shameless time-wasters. (Other than Consumerist, of course.)

Staples and CVS have been sending way too much email lately, but they haven’t been fired yet because there are usually decent coupons. I should probably unsubscribe from CVS, since I haven’t forgiven them for Caremark’s threat to raise prices if the postal service goes to a 5 day week.

53. RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

Am I the only one that uses a different email address for online shopping than my normal mail? I log in once a week, pick through what I want, and delete the rest.

54. flipflopju says:

I have three emails, one professional, one coupon and one from a past life (aka college). I have them all forwarded to the same gmail account and any that come in from my coupon account are filtered to be marked as read and labeled as coupon. This way they don’t clog my inbox but if I need to make a purchase, I can just click on my gmail label and see the most recent or do a simple search. The only problem is I have to keep updating my filters because they feel they need to have multiple addresses or change the subject text up on me.

55. kataisa says:

Yes, instead of a weekly or monthly email I’m now receiving daily emails from several companies I’ve ordered online from in the past. I’ve had to unsubscribe from a few but I’m still getting too many emails.

56. miss_roxxan says:

Overstock is getting terrible. I have an email almost daily for their sale that day. Old Navy/Gap are horrible too. I’ve had to unsubscribe, which I hate because sometimes I actually do want to hear about a sale.

57. DimTwinkle says:

What started as a tiny trickle has turned into a deluge over the past 2 years, ramping up significantly over the past 6 months. I’ve watched as items that previously never went on sale (high end cosmetics for example) are now frequently available at 10-30% off, even 50-75% off sometimes.

I’ve also seen more game-playing than ever before. Numerous companies have extended their online sales/discounts “due to technical difficulties” and even increased the discount to express their gratitude for shoppers’ patience and understanding. Recently, they’ve quit with the excuses and just extended their sales.

The gifts with purchase have been getting more numerous and slightly larger.

I’ve been saying for 6 months that companies are becoming more desperate than ever to move their goods.

What is unclear to me with regard to all the emails I receive is whether they are solely tied to the economy or not. I think some may simply be companies finally getting serious about online sales and recognizing the power of using email. If so, they obviously need to tweak their timing because their messages are getting diluted by the sheer number we are all seeing.

58. lalaland13 says:

I bought something from Victoria’s Secret this year and they were sending me e-mails every single day, which was not what I wanted and did not make my inbox feel any sexier. So I cut back to the once-a-week option, which is less annoying.

Snapfish was also really bad about sending the “It’s not too late for Father’s Day gift books!” crap every damn day. So I unsubscribed.

Petco has also been sending me lots of e-mails lately, but I haven’t unsubscribed yet. I’m pretty sure that would make a puppy cry if I did that (yes, I’m kidding).

59. Amelia Subverxin says:

From the opposite perspective: when I was working in retail, customers complained to us at the register about how they were getting overwhelmed by the flood of emails, but there was nothing that we could do about it.

Oh, and the reason we were so pushy about getting your email address? My pay raise was attached to it! In my review, they put more weight and emphasis on email capture than actual sales made.

60. Weekilter says:

You’re a bit more forgiving than I am. Unless I’ve given a business explicit permission to send me communications of sales, promotions, etc. I’ll get right on unsubscribing. If I don’t find an unsubscribe link I’ll sure be contacting them by other means to have them cut that qrÃ¥p out.

61. MercuryPDX says:

I bought and paid off a new desktop computer from Dell….. now I seem to be getting an email from them every other day.

62. P_Smith says:

Unfortunately, companies operate under the arrogant assumption that once you write to them, they somehow have your permission to distribute your name, email, address or whatever to anyone who will pay for it. I’m surprised they don’t try to sell your credit card info so companies and say, “Yes, you ordered this!”

• CookiePuss says:

I hate that. I was more shocked when I donated to a charity and now I literally have 20 completely unrelated charities sending me mail once a month. I was more pissed off at the original charity though. I make a contribution and they have the balls to sell all my information to other organizations to make a few extra bucks.

63. Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Yes yes yes! I can’t believe the number of emails I see from TigerDirect every day, all because I bought a computer from them a year ago. At least 2 a day. Nintendo is almost as guilty: I see their crap about 5/6x per week. Time to unsubscribe? Probably. Though I do like to see what Tiger has to offer, just not twice a bloody day!

64. crazydavythe1st says:

Yeah, I’ve seen this. The companies that I’ve opted to receive e-mails from though are companies I really like. I have all these e-mails go into a special folder, and I look at them when I need to buy something. It kind of prevents the impulse buy, and I still have access to the special deals when I’m looking to buy something.

65. golddog says:

Yep. Definitely noticed it. Apparently there was some kind of study that got reported on in a trade publication and they all ran with it.

66. Winteridge2 says:

I try once to unsubscribe, then they go on my spam list. If I want something from them, I know where they are.

67. Destron says:

The number one culprit of this is the hurting economy. Studies have shown that in the past that people were 31% more likely to go in to a store after receiving an email about a sale, and 67% more likely to in to a store if said email contained a coupon of some sort.

The problem is, now they are bombarding you with emails and making you not care, but they think it’s a tactic to drive them sales. After working in the industry as for a while I know that probably around half of the decisions companies make are based on surveys, probably only about 10% of those decisions are based on people telling them what they want, and some of the more recent surveys have suggested that people would like to hear MORE from the retailers.They put more weight on surveys and hard numbers than anything.

Another trend that is starting to appear is that retailers and companies will actually give you stuff to be on (or stay on) their mailing list. For example I just got an email from Direct TV the other day saying they would give me $5 a month off my bill for a year if I join their mailing list. Another retailer offered to give me 10% off my order for signing up, this is a horrible trend and I suggest you stay away from it because all it will do it artificially inflate their numbers for them and justify their means (i.e. “We have 3.2 million subscribers so we must be doing it right!”).

So all those surveys you get, if it pertains to something that may affect you, your better off filling them out and getting your voice heard than dismissing them as spam and ignoring them.

68. rick_in_texas says:

I have several email addresses. One is for retailers (mostly restaurants and B&M stores and online stores). The traffice on it has gone up dramatically in the last year. There were those who used to do a newsletter once a week. Not any more. Most are now doing daily if not several times a day email. The worst for me is Compusa/CircuitCity/Tigerdirect. This email address box gets between 300 – 400 messages per day.

Another address I have is for IT newsletters and vendors (my career is IT based) and the vendors here are some of the worst. Some of them send 20 – 30 emails PER DAY! Oracle / HP / Eweek and other vendors are among the worst.

Bottom line have different emails then create rules and realize that almost all will sell your info (I have a psuedonym for several…so I know who is selling my info).

And don’t waste all day checking. Once a day should suffice.

Rick, Ric, Richard, Riccardo, Ricardo, Ricky, Richie, Rich and others are all on to you email vendors!!

F you spam! :)

69. pot_roast says:

We have noticed certain stores doing it, and it is almost always the stores that my wife shops at. She just can’t resist such the 20% off a $50 purchase coupons. “But it’s such a DEAL!” she says. I remind her that she can just keep the $50 she was going to spend, and she calls me a cheap old man.

70. LordXar says:

This is a definite yes to me. I have 2 or 3 retailers that I use to get an email from maybe once a week. Now it’s every Monday, Wednesday and Friday it seems.

71. sweaterhogans says:

I hate to say it, but I work for the enemy. I create emails to be sent to thousands of people (though it’s medical based so it’s a much smaller market). As much as I try to explain to clients how people get annoyed at your emails and will not want your product, they insist on sending the same email once a week or even 2 days in a row. One time there was a MINOR spelling error, as in there was an “i” in one word when it should have been a “u.” The mistake was missed and it went out. Instead of ignoring it, assuming most people didn’t notice or care, they sent it out AGAIN just a few hours later to thousands of people. It is truly awful, and I’m sorry to be part of the problem, but they just won’t listen!

72. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I’ve been systematically unsubscribing from all political and charity “newsletters” (legal spam) emails I get. I like most of the ones I receive from businesses – save the random announcements from AT&T about store openings in the midwest.