Soup Nazi Back In Business, But Not Actually Around To Yell At You

Al Yeganeh, the man who inspired Seinfeld’s Soup Nazi character, closed up shop six years ago, but this week he re-opened his business at the same location on 55th Street in NYC under the name “The Original Soup Man.” The company is now a franchise with locations in nine states and Washington, D.C., and unfortunately (for us, but probably not for him) Yeganeh doesn’t actually do any counterwork–he’s just the brand at this point.

“Famed ‘Seinfeld Soup Nazi’ Al Yeganeh a no-show at reopening of The Original Soup Man” [NY Daily News]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

What? There’s one in DC?! I love soup. It’s 94 degrees outside and I don’t care – I want soup.

• cabjf says:

Maybe they have gazpacho.

• Tetrine says:

Looks like it’s actually in Tyson’s… :(

• MDSasquatch says:

I am in DC as well; where is this joint?

• nbs2 says:

Look at his website – It’s a SoupMan/MaggieMoos. That does not inspire confidence that the quality will be much better than a by the # place. Also, for your convenience, it’s at 2324 18th St. The NW that should follow is a given.

Also, what’s with Chris’s lack of Canada love. That should be nine states, DC, and Canada.

• Veeber says:

There was one here in Hyattsville but the doors haven’t opened in a year. Found their soup a bit too salty most of the time.

• segfault, registered cat offender says:

“I don’t care – I want soup.”

Obligatory: NO SOUP FOR YOU!

2. Jeanyuhs says:

It too bad he’s so bitter about the whole Seinfeld thing, I would imagine he turned a pretty penny off of being on the show…

• Spaceman Bill Leah says:

I dunno, I can’t imagine I’d be too pleased if someone portrayed me as a monomaniacal asshole on national television.

• Bativac says:

Maybe if he had branded the stores as “The Soup Nazi” but that would probably be a tough brand to market. Plus the guy doesn’t appear to have the mustache in real life.

3. womynist says:

This better be some damn good soup…the article I read yesterday said a large crab bisque goes for $20. For $20, it better be a gallon!

4. TailsToo says:

I didn’t get bread…

5. Anonymously says:

No Soup Nazi for you!

6. Rachacha says:

Seriously…No mulligatawny soup? When I think of the Soup Nazi, all I can think of is mulligatawny soup!

7. backbroken says:

There was one in Pittsburgh that opened and closed within about a 6 month period. Inside the restaurant on the walls were corporate-approved newspaper articles talking about Al and the Soup Nazi Seinfeld episode. So I’m not sure just how bitter he was about the show.

The store was extremely overpriced (Pittsburghers are going to pay $10 for a cup of soup? LOL). The soup was chain-restaurant quality, and the staff was very slow and incompetent. Other than that, I’m surprised it wasn’t a huge success.

• kouotsu says:

Yeah I ate there and paid $10 for lobster bisque. I got maybe a cup and a half’s amount of soup. It was alright, but so far in my life I’ve never eaten soup good enough to pay that much for.

• Jupichan says:

I had soup from the Pittsburgh location once. It was decent. Probably the best soup I’d had up to that point in my life. NOW, I’ve had much better soup. haha.

I do recall it being pretty ridiculously expensive though. D:

• backbroken says:

It was never going to work in that location. You can spend $10 or $12 for a cup of soup that leaves you feeling hungry…or you can walk another 150 feet around the corner and get a Primanti sandwich that feeds the whole family for $8.

I did enjoy the handwritten sign they put on the door after they closed that said ‘Closed temporarily. WIll reopen when the supply truck arrives.’ Yeah right!

• msgogo says:

The St. Louis location sucks too- slooooow and unfriendly service, constantly out of one thing or another, and waaaaay overpriced. I tried it out a few times (I like to give new places a chance to get their act together ) but I’d never go to one again.

8. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

Wow good casting by the show the actor that portrayed him looks just like this guy

9. Hoot says:

It says there’s one in Massachusetts but then… no search results. :( Anyone know if/where it exists?

10. Hoot says:

• Rachacha says:

I think it is just their website that sucks. In my state they are only available in retail stores, but many of the stores are listed multiple times

Costco 123 Anywhere Street, Mytown, MD, Zip
      Costco-Mytown 123 Anywhere Street, Mytown, MD, Zip

11. LACubsFan says:

Wow! and only 13 years after the show ended. Great timing :)

Lets open a store for Freaks and Geeks merchandise!