PS3 Will Get Netflix Streaming App By October

Since November, PS3 users have had to lug a special disc into their machines in order to stream Netflix. But during an earnings call Wednesday, CEO Reed Hastings announced the disc will be rendered obsolete by software within the next few months. This will put the PS3 on par with the Xbox 360 for disc-less Netflix streaming.

Hastings said Netflix will update and refine its Netflix app by incoprorating data from Hulu Plus usage.

“Once Hulu Plus has a few hundred thousand subscribers we’ll be able to learn from consumers what they like about Hulu Plus,” Hastings said. “Then we’ll work to incorporate what we find back into Netflix.”

So come October, the Wii will stand as the lone console to require a disc.

Disc-Less PS3 Netflix Launching Soon [IGN]

Comments

1. SanDiegoDude says:

LOL. I’ve got Netflix streaming already on my TV, my Blueray player, my Xbox 360, my Wii and my Media Center PC…. about time I got a 6th option! =D

2. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I’m confused – what does Reed Hastings (CEO of Netflix) have to do with Hulu Plus? The article is blocked for me, so I can’t read it.

3. BurtReynolds says:

Popping the disc in was never a real big issue for me. I have the thing sitting in its sleeve next to the PS3. Want to stream? I get up for 15 seconds and put the disc in.

What they can learn from Hulu Plus is that people won’t pay to watch streaming content with commercials. I am happy with Netflix as-is, although more selection is always nice.

4. RyGuy1152 says:

Are PS3 owners really too lazy to pop in the disc? We Wii owners have done this ever since Netflix came to the Wii.

• Moweropolis says:

PS3 owners have had to use a disc far longer than Wii owners.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

It’s usually not a huge hassle at all, but sometimes you just don’t want to get up.

• spazztastic says:

The size of the hard drive in the PS3, and the fact that it’s user upgradeable, means a disc was never necessary. And in my case, it’s one less thing for my kid to misplace on me.

5. tbax929 says:

At this point, the novelty of the Wii has worn off for me, so there’s only one disc in my Wii all the time: my Netflix disc. There’s no “popping in” a disc for me.

I am glad, though, that Netflix is expanding the number of options on which to stream. More demand should lead to more titles available, and I already find their online selections to be pretty fantastic.

6. SerenityDan says:

Meh, I never really had a problem with putting the disk in my PS3. Actually I hope they don’t make you download the app. I’d rather have more free space on the system and just keep using the disk.

• Moweropolis says:

The app is only a few megs, do you think that disc you put in there is full of data or something?

• SerenityDan says:

Huh? The disk stores nothing on my PS3, that’s why I want to keep using it. I know the app wont be huge but every meg counts. I have an older “fat” PS3 that doesn’t have a huge Hard Drive like the new ones. I can’t waste money I don’t have on a bigger hard drive.

• Moweropolis says:

The Netflix app takes up probably all of the space used by maybe 10 games saves. Maybe if this were 1995 and 1gB hardrives the norm, the size may be a concern.

7. dolemite says:

On a side note, Dell has them for $269 right now. I’d love to get one, but with the significant other burning up the credit cards, I just can’t do it. Maybe Black Friday will have some nice deals.

8. ThyGoddess says:

One day Canada will stop sucking and I’ll have access to all the cool stuff.

One day.

9. Guppy06 says:

The reason I got the disc for my PS3 rather than watching it on my Xbox 360 is that the latter requires I buy Gold subscription to Xbox Live. I wouldn’t be surprised if this new discless version for the PS3 requires a PlayStation Plus subscription.

Of course, even if it didn’t, I still can’t get this new version. I’m on firmware version 3.15 and I’m not “upgrading,” so no PSN access for me, Plus or otherwise.

10. Toffeemama is looking for a few good Otters says:

A disc-less option would be nice. I had to re-order our Netflix disc about 2 weeks after we started using it, because we suddenly couldn’t find it anywhere. I’ve been guarding it like a hawk ever since.

11. nbs2 says:

Having a disc isn’t that big a deal. Whenever we are done with the Wii, the Netflix disc goes back in before we shut down the surge protector. And with a SD CRT, there is still no incentive to stream HD content.

But, in the spirit of complaining, who cares about the PS3. When is the iPhone app coming out? Way of Kings is coming out at the end of August, and I need something to occupy my commute in the interim.

12. TPA says:

I’m quite happy with my Roku. So far it’s the only TV-display device which supports searching (not just browsing) the Netflix catalog. MUCH better video quality than the Wii for both SD & HD content.

• shoan says:

PS3 allows you to search and not browse. Its one slot to the left of the home screen. Browsing is to the right in menus.

13. mopar_man says:

I would much rather more selection instead of an incentive to be lazy.

14. odarkshineo says:

Welcome to the xbox 360 experience…a year later…

15. MaxPower says:

Next we need it for the wii! Even though the wii and xbox 360 are on the same tv, I need options!

I never understood why they couldn’t just do this from the beginning. PS3 has obviously had the technology and I thought the wii would have been able to do something between the channels and the wii store. It seems perfectly designed to be able to download a Netflix app…

16. golddog says:

Ahh my sad little PS3. It’s like having a schizophrenic family member who won’t take their meds and I don’t quite know how best to help him. They take away Other OS b/c it’s “primarily a gaming console” and then focus on a bunch of features that really make more sense on a PC. All of a sudden it’s a Hulu Plus/PSN+ Station? WTF? And ironically, neither Hulu nor Netflix streaming nor PSN+ don’t even come close to having a selection that justifies paying for either options.

Also couldn’t help but notice (from the Net, not from practical experience) that you (Sony) snuck Cinavia DRM in to the 3.XX firmware updates which watermarks legal backups (along with the not so legal flavor) with human-inaudible audio and prevents new titles from playing on the PS3. The timing of this is just so convenient…I’m glad that I have a Hulu Plus widget and PSN Plus I can pay for so I can avoid these pesky DRM hassles…