Baseball Teams Invite You To Stuff Your Face With Infinite Nachos

In an effort to ramp up slumping attendance, 19 of the 30 Major League Baseball teams are offering some sort of all-you-can-eat promotion this year. The feeding troughs keep fans happy as the teams slog through the dog days of the endless season.

Sports Illustrated quotes a face-stuffing Orioles fan, who says “I mostly go for the hot dogs. One good thing about this is that they have cold stuff like ice cream. I’ve had a bunch of the ice cream. Oh, I tried one thing of salad too, because last year they didn’t have a salad.”

As you can see, strategy plays into all facets of a baseball game. MLB fans, if you’ve partaken in an all-you-can-eat promotion, what’s your evaluation of the grub?

Growing trend: All-you-can-eat sections at big-league parks [Sports Illustrated]

Comments

1. namcam says:

for only $10 extra, you can eat your heart out! however, as an orioles season ticket holder, the extra food is not worth the bad entertainment value!

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Hey, unless both Boog’s Barbecue and the chorizo stands have gone WAY downhill in the last few years since I left Bawlmer, the food should more than make up for execrable playing.

• mikehen08 says:

Unfortunately Boog’s Barbecue isn’t included or the chorizo stands. The all you can eat seats are like $60 (ive sat there before). That is about $40 more than what i usually pay and the orioles are definitely not worth that!!

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

One tub of “Infinite Nachos” for three kids or 6 hotdogs. I’m guessing the nachos would be a better deal for the person buying. Plus, they make you thirsty.

3. nbs2 says:

I sort of did. Back when I wa in law school, we had an pre-game/game BBQ event that was AYCE. It wasn’t bad, and I certainly got my (discounted) value for my money. But, unless you planned to make this a special pigout night, I couldn’t see how this would be worth it. Even then, doing this more than once or twice a season would be beyond absurd.

Although, infinite nachos…..

• Dinhilion says:

I have gone to this once at Ranger stadium and it is a lot of fun. I would not want to go more than once a twice a season but, it was cool to keep refilling and refilling sodas, popcorn, peanuts and hotdogs.

4. c!tizen says:

That’s just what this country needs, more all-you-can-eat crap while you sit in a chair and watch other people exercise.

5. pgh9fan1 says:

My son and I have two tickets for the all-you-can-eat seats in PNC Park in a couple of weeks. We can’t wait to go. It’s a season-ticket holder bonus. I didn’t even have to pay for them. SWEEEEET!

6. Beef Supreme says:

I am so proud of Baltimore now.

7. Brent says:

Great quote: “Oh, I tried one thing of salad too, because last year they didn’t have a salad.”

• nbs2 says:

I suspect that, just like the other ballpark food, the salad wasn’t in the best shape. Camden Yards has some good food (especially outside the stadium), but the team concessions aren’t it.

8. russianblue says:

Rangers Ballpark in Arlington has offered this for at least the last 3 seasons (upper home run porch for those familiar). It’s actually a pretty good offering for $34/seat. In addition to nachos, there’s hot dogs, popcorn, drinks, peanuts, and chicken sandwiches (which have a variety of vegetables to put on top or on the side). Plus–and this is huge in Texas for ballgames in July and August–the AYCE area is *air conditioned*! We get there early and stake out a table next to the windows indoors, and it’s truly awesome.

(Go [1st place] Rangers!)

9. gparlett says:

I’ve done this for the local minor league team (Frisco Roughriders). While the food is ‘all you can eat’ there are limits per trip, so you can’t send one person from your group to get 5 drinks or get 3 hotdogs during one run through the line. You spend at least an inning waiting in line, so you miss a decent part of the game each time you go.

Honestly I’ve never understood why people feel they need to eat at the game. Dollar Hot Dog Night? They have dollar hot dog day every single day at the gas station across from my office.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

The reason why we generally eat at the game (any sporting event) is because you have to get there early enough to get to your seats, and we want to watch the players practice a little first, and there are a lot of people to get through to get to your section. Baseball takes a while to play so if you eat before the game, you’re eating about an hour or more before a three-hour game even starts. You’re probably going to be hungry during the game.

• gparlett says:

Also the all you can eat seats are literally the worst seats in the ballpark. The seats they would have the hardest time selling otherwise.

• El_Fez says:

Yeah, in that half hour youre away from your seat, you might miss like three pitches! Oh noes!

10. fsnuffer says:

They could try lowering the prices so it does not cost you $250 with parking, food, tickets to take your kid to a game. God forbid you want to buy a MLB branded item.

• Smashville says:

There isn’t any rule that says you have to buy the most expensive seat possible and buy stadium concessions. You can easily attend a Major League Baseball game for 15-20 bucks a person.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

Yup. And depending on where you live and what’s available, there’s a decent chance you can get free transportation to and from the game – or at least to someplace you can park for free.

Of all the major sports, baseball is probably the least expensive to attend.

11. digital0verdose says:

Want to ramp up attendance? Cut out 75% of your games, play fewer games a week and get some nail biting competition.

Baseball is boring as hell to watch. The only thing that makes it tolerable is copious amounts of beer and even then the entertainment comes from BSing with those around you rather than watching the same batter get an 8th foul ball.

• Moosehawk says:

I am totally here with you. When you are playing 162 games a year, asking to fill 40,000 person stadiums every one of those days is just too much.

On Sunday I went to a Twins game at their new field. I missed the only home run (which they didn’t replay on the jumbo-screen) and a couple hits because I constantly found myself staring at my phone or gazing off into the distance.

• russianblue says:

MLB teams play 81 games at home. Plus: “Red Sox Reach 600 Consecutive Regular Season Sellouts at Fenway Park” (http://bit.ly/9IHg11)

• digital0verdose says:

That is one out of how many teams?

• Moosehawk says:

Right I suppose my logic is a little flawed in the sense that I said 162 games. But still, the Red Sox example you post is an extreme example, just like the Avs from the NHL, or trailblazers from the NBA. Chicago is a good city for baseball, as Minnesota a good state for hockey, whereas California is for basketball.

• Smashville says:

The Avs ranked fourth to last in attendance in the NHL last year, only beating Phoenix, Atlanta and the Islanders.

• Anathema777 says:

Fenway is a smaller park and the Red Sox fanbase is atypical. It’s not really a fair comparison.

• Smashville says:

Not everyone lives the same lifestyle you do or has the same interests you do.

Also, everything you like is stupid and the football team from wherever you went to college sucks.

12. lewisb says:

Turner Field has an all-you-can-eat for about $20 over a ticket. Some friends and I tried it about two years ago. The quality was awful — McDonalds-reject hotdogs and burgers wrapped in foil and steamed until the buns were mush. Nothing but ketchup and mustard packets to dress them up (no cheese, lettuce & tomato, chili, etc.)

I wished I had taken the $20 and spent it in the regular concessions which, at Turner Field, are quite good.

13. zandar says:

if my local park offered “infinite nachos” that meant salsa fresca made with vine-ripened tomatoes and raw chiles, queso mexicano and freshly made tortillas, i could try to learn to appreciate watching baseball.

However, I’m sure it means velveeta and pickled jalapeno slices on Tostitos. And attending any professional sporting event is such a profound hassle… not temping at all, I must say.

• gparlett says:

Ballpark nachos are incredibly nasty.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

No way to both of you. A bag of whatever brand of tortilla chips they come up with and a cheese-like substance dispensed hot from some retail device adorned with a picture of it’s product is mmm-mmm good.

Stop it with the elitist foodyism. The chips & cheese nachos you get at pretty much any sporting event are every bit as tasty as they are overpriced and ungood for you.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

You are wrong. I am a total foodie, but ballpark nachos are one of my guilty pleasures. Nacho cheese piled on overly salted chips, piled with pickled jalapenos that all gets cold and soggy by the time you get back to your seat. Numnumnumnum.

14. YouDidWhatNow? says:

Dammit. The Twins are doing pretty darn good, so they probably aren’t having any such promotion. Stupid successful baseball team.

• Anathema777 says:

I know how you feel. I’m a Red Sox fan, so I don’t think I’ll be seeing any promotions to try to fill up seats at Fenway.

15. Straspey says:

This is really hilarious !

You guys should all come to Yankee Stadium sometime, where they charge you $8.00 just to read the menu. (Not really – but it seems that way.)

16. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I went to one and the food was cold and almost inedible. But it was the minors, so everything is subpar there.

17. Vroom_Socko says:

After this promo takes off, the next announcement will be “wider seats in the brand-new stadium that taxpayers will be on the hook for”
    I hate professional sports.