Perdue Recalls 90,000 Pounds Of Chicken Nuggets From Walmart Stores

The USDA and Perdue have issued a recall for more than 90,000 pounds of Great Value frozen chicken nuggets — all of it shipped to Walmart stores — because there is a possibility that the food could contain “foreign materials.”

According to the USDA’s Food Safety & Inspection Service:

The company discovered small pieces of blue plastic after receiving consumer complaints. FSIS has not received any reports of injury at this time. Anyone concerned about an injury from consumption of this product should contact a physician.

The products include the 1 pound, 13-ounce bag of “GREAT VALUE Fully Cooked Chicken Nuggets.” The bags are labeled with the establishment number “P-33944,” and a product code of “89008 A0160.” The “BEST IF USED BY” date is June 9, 2011.

As mentioned above, all the potentially tainted product was shipped to Walmart. A rep for the retail giant had this to say:

We are telling consumers to use an abundance of caution… Walmart distributes these nationwide so we don’t know where these products could have gone.

Georgia Firm Recalls Frozen Chicken Nugget Products That May Contain Foreign Materials [USDA release]

Perdue recalls 90,000+ pounds of chicken nuggets after finding plastic in some [NY Daily News]

Comments

1. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

Well at least they weren’t finding bits of blue-green ice with a strong fragrance…..

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I think I know what the “foreign material” is. Taste.

3. HogwartsProfessor says:

Whew, I don’t buy these. I get chicken patties from ALDI. So far so good.

• veritybrown says:

I love ALDI. Too bad that inflation has finally hit their prices, too, but at least it’s not as bad as everywhere else. But I think the only time that ALDI has ever been involved in a recall was that time when peanut products were very widely recalled. And the ALDI product involved wasn’t even a major product that I buy…just some kind of specialty cookies.

• Emperor Norton I says:

You obviously don’t know about the time that Aldi’s main warehouse in Batavia, Ill. was raided for all sorts of bad stuff. It’s a long time ago, but they had to throw out everything there from the dry grocery section.
        I think it was rat & mice that were the problem.

• budhwar says:

Most of the ingredients in nuggets qualify as “foreign”.. things your body was not meant to ingest.

4. digital0verdose says:

Must be pieces of that damned gasket.

5. smo0 says:

Ah, this is one of those “awesome” companies mentioned in Food, Inc. I think they forgot for a moment that their “foreign materials” were just the normal ingredients for their chicken.

6. Hoss says:

If a name brand like Purdue is underselling itself by doing a store brand, wouldn’t it be smart to let the store do the recall? Or at least create a separate division? Stupid

• bhr says:

I’m guessing that Walmart buys enough from Purdue to dictate the terms. Besides, Purdue is not exactly a company with a stellar rep, at least around these parts.

• Hoss says:

I know what you’re saying about their reputation but Frank Perdue did something masterful back many decades ago — he took a commodity (first eggs, the chickens) and branded it, thus adding value to the name. Seems odd that no one in marketing or legal thought about what should happen in a recall of their store brand

• kmw2 says:

Somehow I doubt there’s a lot of overlap in the normal scheme of things between people that buy Great Value chicken nuggets and ones that buy Purdue chicken nuggets (does Purdue even make self-branded chicken nuggets? I don’t know). Ergo, Purdue, by providing a commodity house-brand product for Wal-mart, the largest retailer in the world, continues to realize value even despite whatever small amount of cannibalization of its main brand might occur.

• sendmoney2me says:

I’m a manager for Walmart. all of the great value stuff is made by Name Companies. Con Agra makes most of it . trash bags are made by Hefty. sam’s cola might taste like RC Cola for a reason..Chef Boyardee…Ocean Spray..Kraft.. you’d be surprised who makes it all.

• COBBCITY says:

I would not be surprised to learn Purdue produces many store brands. I have always heard many store brands are made by name brand companies. That said, I would certainly take pause before serving my family “Great Value Chicken Nuggets”. Perhaps paper products, but meat??

7. AngryK9 says:

Foreign?! Can we get an Arizona law on that one? And we might want to send a tiny number of national guard troops to the factory to make it look like we’re doing everything we can to protect the population.

• Darury says:

Much more likely that we should get the government to sue for the right for the foreign objects to remain in your nuggets. Just because they are blue instead of chicken-colored doesn’t mean they don’t have a right to your intestine.

• Daemon Xar says:

Keep on trollin’ . . .

8. The_Legend says:

Just the normal WalMart additive, Lead. Particles were too big to get by the inspectors this time.

9. Snoofin says:

This is why I refuse to buy “Great Value” anything. Its all low quality stuff that the manufacturer rejects from its brand name production line. Its not a value Its rejects. Did you ever wonder where all the french fries with the black marks in them go? Thats right, right into the Great Value bags. The lunch meat is all full of water and fillers and the meat is chopped and pressed into a mold instead of using a whole turkey breast like Boar’s Head meat. The great Value “cheese” is made with oil instead of milk etc…. It’s garbage and even the packaging sucks. Most generic foods at least make their packaging look like there is something decent in the box,

• Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

And yet, the people buy them…in droves.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Not everyone has the golden tastebud.

• bhr says:

So you buy fancy packaging and name brands because you incorrectly assume that they are different then store brands?

Whatever works for you.

• MMD says:

Did you read the entire post? The part where he specifically lists the clear differences in the food itself? This isn’t just a packaging issue.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

GV packaging IS lame..

but I don’t mind some of their food. I’ve eaten their fries and didn’t notice anything different than any other brand I’ve tried. When I was really poor, I ate their pasta, pasta sauce and other assorted items but I certainly couldn’t afford Boar’s Head deli meat.

You’re going to find that many people eat different things than you do.

• evilrobot says:

it’s not rejects. it meets a standard which also meets a targeted retail price point, and yes, that is a low one. the packaging is intentionally designed that way to convey a message of value.

obviously, you are not the demographic.

• MMD says:

Well, you’re both right. If it meets a lower standard, it has by definition been rejected by the same company’s higher standards.

10. deejmer says:

Will this country ever learn that all of these processed foods are bad on every conceivable level? These recalls due to manufacturing, bacteria, etc will only get worse. Buy local people….buy fresh. Cook your own food. We’ve let a handful of companies control a massive percentage of our food supply and its dangerous.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Why won’t people like you understand that a lot of people don’t give a shit and don’t want to be preached to?

Or when will you people understand to buy “locally” is not always an option – and if it is – a lot of times it’s twice the cost of shopping at places like Walmart. A lot of families cannot afford that kind of price tag.

And when will you people realize that buying local or organic can also result in foodborne illnesses because of fecal contamination in the manure used?

• bhr says:

As someone who shops both locally and in bulk I can tell you that I find better produce quality at the local BJs then I do at the local farmers market. And with the rate I eat fruits and veggies the extra day or two freshness doesnt really matter to me. and sometimes I can’t afford to hit my favorite butcher for meat, and have to use the local grocery chain.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

I make my own defectively-manufactured bacteria-ridden food at home. And then ship it to myself through the mail for good measure.

11. iParadox{InLove} says:

My mother used to work for Perdue and after the horror stories she told us about the working conditions and the conditions of the animals and stuff, I shall never eat anything labeled Perdue again.

12. BoredOOMM says:

“Walmart distributes these nationwide so we don’t know where these products could have gone.”

- The largest grocery retailer in the world has no clue.

facepalm insert.

• LastError says:

It’s worse than that: Walmart is supposedly the best company in the world for logistics. They are supposed to be wizards at this stuff, knowing where every pallet is at every moment, where every truck is, every thing every where, so they can eliminate waste and inefficiencies (so they say).

But the truth apparently is that they don’t know.

So much for the wizard. Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain.

13. Big Mama Pain says:

Considering how chicken nuggets are made, it’s kind of amazing that you can tell if there were foreign materials in them. Good thing it was blue stuff!

14. catnapped says:

Anyone else see the words “foreign materials” and immediately thought some crap from China?