KFC Giving Away Free Sandwiches To Fast Food Workers Today

In a move to promote its new-ish Doublicious — aka the Double Down on a bun — KFC is attempting to entice employees at competing quick-service restaurants to give it a shot for free today.

So if you work at any place like McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, and you’re willing to show up in uniform at KFC today, there’s a Doublicious waiting for you. Oh — you also have to be one of the first 10 uniformed customers in order to take advantage of the gratis grub.

Don’t know if the offer extends to other Yum! brands like Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, A&W or Long John Silver’s, but I would hope KFC wouldn’t discriminate against their own kin.

If anyone tries this, we’d love to hear from you. Let’s just hope it doesn’t KFC doesn’t balk on this offer like they did with the Oprah Winfrey debacle.

Free KFC sandwich Tuesday to competitors in uniform [Sun-Sentinel.com]

Comments

1. Mr. Pottersquash says:

if I was a manager of a McDonalds, I “ask” one of my employees to go down, get his sandwhich take one bite and immediately spit it out and cry “OMG THIS IS DISGUSTING!!!!”

• Rachacha says:

But he would also have to have on hand coupons for a free sandwich at the McDonalds for patrons who were scared off and decided to go to McDonalds

• eirrom says:

No chance of that!

One bite and they would be hooked…just like ME!

2. SkokieGuy says:

10, really? Not the first 50 or 100 or 500? KFC is losing the marketing value of having people drive by their stores and see the competition lined up to get the ‘delicious’ double down.

• mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

And what would the marketing value be if the restaurants were overrun by hordes of fast food workers who became impatient trying to score a free sandwich on their 20 minute lunch “hour” and began chanting “KFC Sucks” outside the store, resulting in the cops getting called to keep the peace?

• Rachacha says:

Think Apple on any new product launch day and the spectacle of people lined up for hours for the chance of getting the product. By creating the perception of demand, people naturally want to try it out. In this case, announce a marketing plan to give away free food to your competition, hopefully create a line with your competition lined up out the door and get the local news media to cover it=free advertising and the perception that the sandwich is so delicious that the competition is willing to wait in line to try it, and you as a consumer should too.

Now back to reality. None of the KFCs near me are ever that busy, so it would be difficult to create a line around the block.

3. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Hurr. I broke like three brains by telling people about the “Doublicious” …

“Okay, you know the Double down? Where it’s a bacon and cheese sandwich with two chicken patties as the bun? Well. They just made the Double Down into a sandwich-sandwich, with bread as the bun.”

It’s fun watching the grey matter seep from their ears.

4. MDSasquatch says:

Why bother with this thing when I can get a great-tasting chicken sandwich at my local Chik-fil-A?

5. chaesar says:

I hope they are getting footage of people wearing the competitions’ uniforms walking into KFCs for their next commercial, that would be awesome

6. dreamfish says:

Maybe the plan is to kill off employees of competing organisations – there’s so much fat and cholesterol in a double down that they’ll have died of heart attacks before getting back to their establishments.

7. Daverson says:

Just for the record, a Doublicious is not a “Double Down on a bun.” There’s only one chicken fillet in a Doublicious, not two.

8. Draygonia says:

And sadly, all 10 KFC employees take them as soon as they get on shift. GG.

9. BoredOOMM says:

Does this apply to workers wearing KFC uniforms? Can the KFC worker on street A go to the KFC on Drive Y and get free food?

10. nffcnnr says:

This is a good way to get Kentucky Fried Chicken competitors’ employees fired.

• Scuba Steve says:

Not sure why. I know if I worked at a fast food place, the last thing I’d ever have a craving for is the food I work with 8 hours a day. (although it does take a few weeks to get to this point)

I even lost the will to eat icecream after working at a TCBY. Icecream(and yogurt)!, which sucks because I really liked those things.

11. zandar says:

how about a nice salad with walnuts and dried fruit? If you want workers who think clearly and labor effectively, feeding them garbage would only be counterproductive.

• XTC46 says:

Thats not true. I frequently eat “garbage” and am highly productive. Just becasue YOU are not productive doesnt mean everyone is like you. I can eat at KFC, work a 12 hour shift then happily go to the gym, do a 2 hour workout, come home, eat some pizza, get to bed around 12 or so, then up and at it again by 5 am without a problem. Sometimes I am in the mood for a salad, sometimes I want steak, sometimes I want two pieces of fried chicken with bacon and cheese.

12. maryland157 says:

Heads up, looks like KFC is trying to wiggle its way out of this one. I just called up my local store and asked if they were still doing the promotion. They said “Yes, If you have a coupon”.