High Heels Can Mess Up Your Calf Muscles And Tendons

Do high heels hurt your feet and legs — even after you’ve taken them off? A new study says that women who wore high heels daily for years had “shorter calf muscles and stiffer, thicker Achilles tendons than women who favored flats,” says NPR’s health blog. Ew!

Study author and physiologist Marco Narici compares the effect to muscle atrophy that strikes people confined to their beds for a long time. Bed rest keeps muscles in a fixed position, causing some muscle fibers to become shorter.

Women who wear high heels a lot do much the same thing by keeping their heels in an elevated position day after day, Narici says.

Personally, I’ve always been a sneakers and jeans sort of girl, but I can imagine this news is somewhat heartbreaking for those of you who really like heels.

A biomechanics expert interviewed for the story says heels are just not worth it:

“It’s not worth it,” she says. “We’re living long enough that all of us are going to get arthritis and anything you can do to minimize the severity is a good thing.”

Why High Heels Hurt Even After You Take Them Off [NPR]

Comments

1. El_Fez says:

And from the “No Duh” department of news. Common sense could have told you that without a million dollar study.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Common sense does not excuse the scientific method.

• Draygonia says:

Yes it does if the world is in a global recession where we should spend money on something else.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I’d prefer to get medical advice based on evidence instead of guessing.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Common sense could have told you that

Oh FFS! No it wouldn’t have:

1) You’re confusing common sense with experience.

2) Even then, experience would only tell you that high heels hurt. It would not tell you that your calf muscles would get shorter and that your tendons would get thicker.

Just because it’s something that doesn’t surprise you doesn’t mean that it’s “common sense”.

2. ThaKoolAidKid says:

I wear stilts most of the day, are those ok?

3. Xin says:

I really can see where the increased muscle mass is – and yes wearing high heels constantly is bad for you. Though if you were them occasionally (fancy dress, wedding, job interview, etc…) I dont see where the problem is.

Just remember after a day of heels please give your feet a rest and maybe a good soak.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I alternate. I love heels, and the other days I wear flats or switch to flats or sandals after work. Then again, I walk everywhere.

4. Etoiles says:

What really boggles my mind is all the women I see commuting in the expensive heels.

Firstly, it’s bad for your feet, knees, hips, legs, etc.
    Secondly, if you’re on the Metro (or NYC subway, where I also saw this) it’s hard to balance on a jerky train.
    Thirdly, it’s terrible for the shoes! If I’m spending a large sum on a good pair of dress shoes, like hell am I going to wreck them by running all over town with them on!

(And yes, I am one of those women with a desk drawer full of dress shoes at the office. My 3 pairs of good flats and my good black and brown dress shoes pretty much live here unless I know I’m going to need them for an evening or weekend event.)

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

In my desk cabinet, I have: one pair of flats (the ones I wore on the train and into the office), the pair of heels I’m wearing right now, a pair of black pumps, a pair of brown wedges, and a pair of boots I forgot to bring home in February.

• Etoiles says:

As it turns out, I also have a pair of black heels I forgot about in the drawer. And a pair of brown wedge sandals that never did fit right.

I’m pretty tall for a woman (5’8″; not an Amazon but not petite either) and have bad knees and ankles, so I generally skip the heels myself. Except apparently for that black pair.

• Doubts42 says:

bet that smells lovely

• jessjj347 says:

Yes! I don’t understand that either. It makes more sense to wear sneakers and then change shoes at the office to me.

I believe it is much more about appearances than a care for one’s health or comfort. I strongly dislike that in our society women (especially business women) are expected to wear high heels and maintain a certain image to succeed.

• FerretGirl says:

lol, I’ve always felt like a complete fashion reject for commuting in sneakers all dolled up in my outfit and then changing from the sneakers to the heels in the bathroom on the lobby floor but it saves my shoes and my feet!

• Marshmelly says:

You should try some soft flats…most of them are very comfy and tend to match outfits better so you don’t have to wear huge sneakers =P

• lettucefactory says:

Oh God, so true. I learned this the hard way a few years ago. I would often walk from my apartment to the office. It was a 90 minute haul, but I’d usually wear sneakers to do it, and it served as some pretty nice exercise.

Well, I was young and stupid. I left the sneakers at the office one night after working late, and the weather was so beautiful the next morning that I decided to do the walk anyway. In my heels.

That was eight years ago and I still have problems with my feet that first showed up that day. It was the lousiest idea I’d ever had.

5. banndndc says:

While this is no doubt true it does seem to ignore the benefits of high heels. in both cases one is working out a diff set of muscles. wearing only one style relatively exclusively is going to have drawbacks and benefits. upper calf versus lower calf.

• jessjj347 says:

There are no benefits to wearing high heals. The best heal is matched to your arch. So if you have a super high arch, then maybe a high heal is for you. However, taking the high heels in the picture on this article as an example, no feet have arches that high.

• tsukiotoshi says:

I dunno, I think I read once in a Cosmo that heels work sort of like kegels. Some people would consider that a benefit.

• mythago says:

If you like the way high heels look, it’s OK to just say so. Making up fake health benefits is not necessary.

• Marshmelly says:

Perhaps they read that information from a source that may not have been reliable? (I know that I have heard the same information before and was not sure of its accuracy). Could have just corrected them and pointed to some accurate sources on the topic instead of accusing them of “making up” facts.

6. nobomojo says:

you can pry my heels out of my cold, dead, perfectly manicured hands

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

While I don’t disagree that wearing heels for a lengthy period of time might affect muscle mass, tendon length, etc. a lot of it has to do with the comfort of the heels themselves and where you’re putting the pressure and weight. One of the most comfortable pairs of heels I own is a pair of 4-inch heels. They’re comfortable even though they’re high is because the heel is thicker than a stilletto. I have a pair of three inch stilettos that make my feet hurt after a day at the office because all of my weight is shifted to the balls of my feet. With the thicker heel, my weight (and I’m not overweight, either) is balanced between the heel and the balls of my feet.

Also, a lot of women tend to wear shoes that are too small. I see it all the time. If you’re bulging out of your shoes, that’s a huge problem and that contributes to foot pain.

• ElizabethD says:

They may feel comfortable to you, but that’s not the point of the article. The biomechanics of the heel effects, and the lasting damage to your muscles and tendons, is:

“Bed rest keeps muscles in a fixed position, causing some muscle fibers to become shorter.
      Women who wear high heels a lot do much the same thing by keeping their heels in an elevated position day after day.”

8. LD says:

How much did these people get paid again? What are they going to study next, that feet get dirty when you don’t wear shoes or socks?

9. scientific progress goes boink says:

New study? This information has been around for years. Heck, I even remember it being mentioned on CSI.

I don’t see heels going away anytime soon. Women are pretty much expected to wear them in any sort of professional or upscale setting.

• Pinget says:

Women should not be expected to wear them anywhere ever period. They deform the foot and cause pain all the way up the body. One day heels will be seen in the same way as Chinese foot binding or genital mutilation – wrong, wrong, wrong.

10. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Ha! I’ve never worn High Heels except for special occasions. I HATE them.

I

11. Quake 'n' Shake says:

If women would just stay barefoot and in the kitchen, this issue would be moot!

bum-dum-tsh

12. Confuzius says:

My aunt had to stop wearing high heels a few years ago after 30 years of constant use, she’s a rather petite woman with the calfs of an NFL linebacker.

13. tchann says:

…huh.

I don’t wear heels often, but I enjoy wearing them when I do. It’s a comfortable shape for my feet to be in (seriously) and it drastically improves my posture. I don’t know if that makes sense scientifically or not, but they work for me and I won’t ditch them anytime soon.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

If you don’t wear them all the time you’re fine anyway. It’s keeping the heel in a fixed position like that all day every day that’s the problem.

• Michaela says:

I like the feel too. I like walking on my toes though, so idk.

My heels aren’t going anywhere. The only fear I have ever really had about wearing them is the fact that i could get hammer toes (EWWWW!)

…damn I sound vain.

14. jessjj347 says:

In addition, high heals will cause bunions if they squish your toes in the front.
    As will pointed-toe shoes or other such fashionable shoes for women that apparently are not designed for an actual foot. Bunions are NOT fun :(

15. WagTheDog says:

This story made me remember “Earth Shoes”, where the heel is lower than the toes. They were ugly and yet uncomfortable at the same time.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Those made me actually have nausea and nearly vomit! It confused my inner ear and gave me motion sickness as bad as I’ve ever had on a boat!

16. sufreak says:

Actually, doesnt the study say it will also change the muscle so it hurts if you don’t wear high heels? I see that as a win :)

17. Rectilinear Propagation says:

This must be why they say you should wear shoes of varying heel heights in general.

18. Mike says:

Heels represent everything wrong with our oppressive, patriarchal society. They are our modern day version of Chinese foot binding. We put women in shoes that are not good for them and expect them to smile and look pretty.

But man does my wife look cute in them. And since I am 13 inches taller than her, heels are almost a must for social situations. Unless I want the top of my head cut off in all pictures. And I actually like shopping for shoes with my wife. I’ve even bought a few pairs of oppressive heels for her myself on occasion. (Cole Haan had a sale OK?) Grrrr, I hate being part of the problem.

• Outrun1986 says:

Heels have been around for a very, very long time, so they aren’t going away anytime soon. The problem is cheap, badly designed, ill fitting heels that are worn everyday for long periods of time (I don’t know why anyone would do that to themselves but they do). Teens in Japan bind their feet with athletic tape in order to fit into smaller sized shoes (not all do this but some do). Your wife is probably fine barring any previous injuries or medical problems as long as the shoe fits properly and is not too small or too large, and if she is wearing them for special events only, which is what they are meant for. IMO cheap flip flops and ballet flats are just as bad for the feet as a crappy pair of heels.

• Mike says:

“The problem is cheap, badly designed, ill fitting heels that are worn everyday for long periods of time”

I agree. That is why I buy her mostly Cole Haan heels with Nike Air in them. They are gorgeous AND comfortable.

“IMO cheap flip flops and ballet flats are just as bad for the feet as a crappy pair of heels.”

My wife would never wear either cheap flip flops or ballet flats. The closest thing she owns to either of these are a couple of pairs of Cole Haan sandals with Nike Air, and a pair of Mary Janes, again with Nike Air cushioning.

But still, deep down inside of me there is a feminist voice saying meekly: “you should not encourage women to wear shoes that are not good for them” but then that voice is drowned out by the consumer whore voice screaming: “ZOMG THOSE ARE SO CUTE. YOU MUST BUY THEM NOW!!!!”

What’s even worse then cheap heels though, are expensive heels that are no better than the cheap ones. Dr. Scholl’s, Coke Haan, Naturalizer and some others all make heels that offer cushioning and arch support. At least buy some cushioning inserts for the heels that have little to no cushioning. Dr. Scholl’s makes several different kinds of inserts for women.

• Savari says:

Actually not true, flip-flops and ballet flats are not really bad for you. Our foot evolved to be able to walk barefoot, but because shoes nowadays have so much support, the muscles in our feet have atrophied. These are one of the brands of shoes trying to bring that barefoot feel back: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/
        They look goofy, but they are comfy once you build your foot muscles back up.

19. Outrun1986 says:

It depends on what kind of heels you are wearing, if you are wearing a pair of walmart heels every day, then yeah you can pretty much count on spending a lot of time at the podiatrist’s office later on in life (not to mention the bills that come with that). Heels are designed differently, the problem is that many heels are designed with a slope, which means the shoe pushes your foot towards the front of the shoe into the point, which causes problems and lots of pain. A well designed heel is more like a flight of stairs and steps down gradually instead of at a steep sharp angle. I don’t know that much about it, but that is what I was told. The latter is definitely less damaging than the first.

Heels aren’t the only problem though, what about everyone walking around in cheap flip flops all day long every day? That is not very good for your feet either, and will definitely land you in the podiatrist’s office eventually. Ballet flats are equally bad for your feet.

Another big issue is we are now putting kids in heels, and a lot of parents expect their kids to wear heels now as toddlers even, what is this doing to the growth of their feet and legs?

I am talking mostly about cheap shoes here, which is what most people wear, there are well designed flip flops and well designed ballet flats out there if you look for them.

I don’t wear heels because I have major foot and ankle problems, I can only walk if I wear certain sneakers and some sandals, though its getting much better now (this is due to injury not bad choice of shoes), but I must be fair to both flats and heels, both can cause problems. Trust me you don’t want foot problems, not being able to walk is a horrible thing to have happen to you. Don’t cause your own foot problems or else you will deeply regret it later on.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I read a CNN Health article a while back that said that’s really bad for children’s feet and I think their back too (it was feet and something else, maybe posture).

20. quirkyrachel says:

Well that explains why I’ve heard that women who wear heals say that it isn’t comfortable to wear flat shoes.

21. HogwartsProfessor says:

I used to wear heels when I was a young adult, but now I can’t. I hurt my back several years ago and anything over an inch or two seriously aggravates it. Also, since I don’t wear them any more, when I do they KILL my feet.

I do have a pair of Italian party shoes with thin rhinestone straps and spike heels that I bought in the 1980s. They’re still stylish. I only wore them a couple of times so they’re like new. But they are so uncomfortable I can only wear them when I don’t have to walk. Or I come in with them on, everyone says “Oh, great shoes!” and then I take them off.

• mythago says:

Those are what we call “f— me pumps”. They’re not meant to be worn standing up for more than a few minutes, which solves your back problem.

22. silver-spork says:

In other news, water is wet.

23. NarcolepticGirl says:

I’ve never worn a pair of heels in my life. I tried on a pair – they were very uncomfortable. Most women who walk in them look uncomfortable.

Too bad my boyfriend has a heel fetish.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Walking in heels is a learned skill and most people do it wrong, which contributes to people looking wobbly or uncomfortable in heels, and definitely contributes to knee pain.

If you can’t walk over a sidewalk grate in stilettos without falling in, you’re doing it wrong. The weight has to be up on the toe; you’re not meant to strike with your heels when wearing heels.

Walking in heels isn’t actually so bad; it’s the standing still in them for long periods that’s hell on your legs.

I couldn’t walk in heels until I had to take a dance class at school where we had a tap dance unit using the school’s shoes … which were all 4″ heels from the 1970s. After learning to tap dance in ridiculous heels, walking in them was a piece of cake!

• mythago says:

Also, it helps if you have a big foot. You can cram a lot more heel under a size 10 foot than you can under a size 5. This is why drag queens can walk around in 7″ heels and why you can wear higher heels if they’re platforms.

• tangodiva says:

actually striking with the heels is also a learned skill. I wear 4″ stilettos when I run dance events and I don’t have time to mince about on the balls of my feet… I can take a long natural stride, but having well designed shoes with a steel shank and a properly placed balanced heel helps. Also having danced in the damn things for the last decade doesn’t hurt.

There is a bit of dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t. Putting the weight into the heel puts more pressure in the lower back (especially when standing), putting the weight in the balls puts more pressure in the knees. I definitely try not to stand around in mine for long… that is when I really feel it.

24. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY SHOES, CONSUMERIST!

25. JulesNoctambule says:

Thanks to stupidly high arches I can’t wear flats at all; they’re terribly uncomfortable and make walking difficult. Even when I was a kid I hated flats. I always wear heels, but the kind I wear are more like inclined platforms than stilettos or anything like that. Plenty of arch support and enough of an angle that I can walk without my feet hurting.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

I have the same problem; I’m comfortable barefoot or in heels, but not in flats (and definitely not in flip-flops, ow!). I find a modest 1-2″ heel is most comfortable for me for every day.

• Etoiles says:

I have the opposite issue. Due to a weird genetic quirk (it runs in my mother’s family), I have an extra bone in my feet and absolutely zero arch. The best shoes in the world for me are Chuck Taylors. I loved the Doc Martens era.

Heels are a real bitch, both because I don’t have the arches for them and because the flat-foot thing means my feet go extra-wide when I’m standing, and ruin the lines and shape of almost any nice shoe.

• Not Given says:

My feet are even weirder, one of the bones in my feet is longer than normal, in the same spot my sister has two bones where there should be one. We both also have very flat feet while both our parents have very high arches. Also, my shoe size changes when I put on shoes. They measure with the gizmo in the store and it says I wear 8½ AA but when I put on a pair of shoes, I wear 9½ AAAA. I once had a shoe salesman go get his mother and they measured my feet, then put me in a pair of sandals so they could watch it happen.

26. datamyt3 says:

From a man’s point of view …. high heels seem to be the equivalent of lace up corsets and chastity belts. I have a dream that one day …. women everywhere will throw of the shackles of high heels!

• Snaptastic says:

On a similar note, I once looked at the shoes that were fashionable back when corsets were in style, and most of them have 1/2″-1″ heels at most.

Fashion is a silly, silly thing.

• creative differences says:

can i just kiss you? cuz that comment is a serious win after reading the plethora of pro-heel comments (from *women* no less)…

27. jayde_drag0n says:

Here’s another one for you.. Women with large breasts, have PERMANENT muscle damage in both shoulders, due to their bras

• webweazel says:

Yup, the permanent divots on my shoulders in the muscles causing the muscle itself to actually bulge a bit higher than the straps themselves. The muscle damage that causes an achey, numb spot on my neck from both shoulders in a “V” to about 6 inches down my back. The intermittent neck pain. The bad posture from the front-installed bowling balls pulling my shoulders down, and the back pain from that. What a treat.
      Growing up in school, trying to do sit-ups without someone holding my feet down, because the top half of me is MUCH heavier than the bottom half. (Should gotten extra credit for doing them at all.) Having to do jogging, or just running around in gym class was always a nightmare. A stainless steel bra and lots of duct tape might have helped, but no, lingering pain from having the skin and innards tossed around & muscles being forcibly crushed was not nice in the least. I wish girls who were well-endowed, like me, could be excused from gym class forever. Life really sucked back then.
      Then I see all those women getting big boob implants just for vanity, and I think – what fools.

• whittygirl says:

Nike’s High Impact line is great. I still double-bag when I run (I’m a 34DD), but at least I don’t have pain anymore.

For the *blissfully* unaware, double-bagging is wearing two sports bras.

• Red Cat Linux says:

The Enell sports bra. Pricey, but nothing moves, no matter what you’re doing. Eliminates double bagging.

• SaraFimm says:

And yet all those school boys just loved to watch you as you jogged up to them (and male school staff, too).

I was derided for my height (5′ 7″ at the age of 12) and large bust while another shorter girl was “admired” for hers in junior high school. TYG! That I went to a different high school with a larger gene pool and learned that a large bust was like sweet honey and I got to pick and choose my boyfriends who were of equal or taller height (6′ by the time I was 17).

With my height, I could NEVER wear “high” heels when I was younger and I very rarely wore them out of High School. Even after 20 years with my husband, I try not to wear heels over 1″ because we’re the same height and I don’t like looking like the tallest person in the room.

Short people have “shortness issues”, tall people have “height issues”, women with small breasts have “size issues” and women with large breasts either have to live with it, use it to their advantage or find ways to minimize them (minimizer bras, binding or surgery)–we also have to try to find bras that fit! I went up to an H cup during my pregnancy and found out most stores didn’t carry past a DDD. Do you understand how BIG that is?!

TYG! for the internet and mail order!

28. Red Cat Linux says:

I can’t wear high heels anymore. My feet scream bloody blue bunion murder when I do. When I did wear them all the time… yes – taking them off actually caused pain. Even shoes marketed as comfortable make my feet unhappy. It just takes longer.

I can’t tell if men are miserable in dress shoes. But even flats are seemingly designed to be as annoying or as ugly as possible.

• Snaptastic says:

I knew a guy who wore pricey dress shoes all the time. He would complain about his feet at the end of the day or whenever he had to do alot of walking.

I can’t wear heels either–my legs got trashed from the military, so if I try wearing them I would only end up falling into a heap the second I stopped focusing all of my attention on walking (or sooner). Not that I consider the lack of heels any loss…I wouldn’t want to wear them anyways.

29. Verdant Pine Trees says:

I understand that high heels are cute looking, and all that, but as said earlier, when you lose the ability to walk normally, and your prescription orthotics cost hundreds of dollars (no, I’m not talking Dr. Scholl’s cheap crap), trust me, it isn’t worth it. Beauty is fleeting and right now we can’t take a stem cell and grow us some replacement feet.

The abuse I heaped on my feet in my late teens wearing cheap shoes, meant serious foot injuries followed by weight gain, inability to walk normally for almost a year etc. One of my doctors told me I would never be able to play sports or dance ever again (thank God, she was wrong on the latter part).

The occasional use of high heels is not the problem, it’s people who wear them all the time, and do other crummy things to themselves like wearing too small shoes, and then get bunions and corns. The new “toner” shoes are bad for some people too. At least figure out if you have high arches or flat feet, because that can exacerbate some problems.

Looking forward to the day when I can, indeed, have new feet grown in a test tube.

• Outrun1986 says:

I am sure the toner shoes aren’t good for some people, as are heeley’s (the shoes with wheels in the heel) although I don’t think people wear those long enough to cause any permanent damage, and thankfully I think that fad is over. I wouldn’t wear the toner shoes unless I was specifically prescribed them by a podiatrist, I am not sure why everyone is buying them, because they are ugly and they can’t be good for you because they are so abnormal. I also don’t know how something that ugly ever caught on as a fad. People don’t realize how horrible it is to have foot pain and to not be able to walk until they have experienced it themselves.

The sad thing is teens want the cheap shoes these days, if you buy them good shoes they won’t wear them, it was true even in my day when everyone in my high school wore stuff from payless and everyone had one of the same styles. I had different styles than everyone else because my mom actually bought me good shoes (doesn’t help though if you end up with a foot injury like me).

I just stick to normal sneakers and sandals, no fad sneakers for me, even though I have to wear mens sneakers because my feet are so impossibly large to fit there are still a lot of styles to pick from and some can definitely pass for womens sneakers. Teva sandals are also great.

30. mmmwright says:

Not exactly news. We’ve known this for years. After running all over Manhattan in heels, I’d go home and stretch, so I don’t have that problem, but I know people who do.

31. mythago says:

And remember that your ability to wear high heels is directly related to your shoe size. I can walk around all day comfortably in 4″ heels, but I have big clodhoppers. It’s just geometry.

Even if you don’t wear them enough to mess with your tendons, high heels put all the weight on the balls of your feet and toes and you WILL have problems. Back when I had to wear 5″ heels all day long, every couple of weeks I had to essentially sandpaper my feet.

32. cloudedknife says:

But, they’re so pleasant to look at!

33. Jimmy37 says:

Why is this news? Women have known this for years. How much did this study of the obvious and known cost? Who the hell approved it?

34. thor777 says:

Oh it’s definitely worth it…….for the men at least….haha

35. Not Given says:

Is it anything like the feeling of relief when you take off a DD bra?

36. The Queen of Everything says:

They had to do a study to figure that out? We talked about it in sixth grade. o_o

37. RayanneGraff says:

Heels are bad for your feet & legs? Well, duh. Humans are not meant to walk on their toes all the time. For 30 years, my aunt wore nothing but stilettos, and it took her forever to be able to wear flats again cause her leg muscles were all messed up. Why did she start wearing flats again? One night she fell down the concrete steps in front of her house while taking the garbage out… while wearing FOUR INCH HEELS. She nearly broke both legs and still had scars all over her shins from where her skin got scraped off.

I’ve always hated wearing heels. The only time I wear anything higher than a 1-2 inch heel is for formal occasions. I don’t even like the IDEA of heels. High heels are considered ‘sexy’ because they make it harder for a woman to get away from a man who wants to bang her. No, seriously, go look it up. Heels were invented by men to keep women less mobile. I’m no feminist, but I think that is just fucked up.

• Bill610 says:

Men invented high heels to keep women from running away? “Look it up”? Sorry, but I did, and all I found was people making that assertion, just like you did, without any reference or proof, and usually in jest.

What I did find was that the earliest high heels we know of were worn by Egyptians, both male and female. Unless you can substantiate this clever, though sexist, claim, I’m going to assume it’s just an urban legend which may have been elevated to “fact” by some author of a woman’s studies textbook somewhere.

38. H3ion says:

I gave up heels about two years ago when medical tests proved I was a male.

• brinks says:

I’m a manager at a woman’s shoe store and my FAVORITE customers are guys buying heels…

but I think that’s just because they scare away all the stuck-up suburbanites in the store.

39. Cyniconvention says:

Completely boggles my mine how women and teens wear those, and I’m female; Most of them look like hooker shoes.

40. Good Cop Baby Cop says:

I’ve always tried to moderate my heel-wearing so I wouldn’t have Barbie feet like my great-grandmother.

41. bridge47 says:

yes, yes, YES! Walking in high heels make your feet far more prone to an ankle sprain. Although they look cute, long term wear can mess up your balance too. I’m a student physical therapist and have worked with many long-time heel wearers who, because of an injury, could not wear heels for a time. They had a hard time with balance in normal shoes because their feet had become so adjusted to being in a high-heeled position. This affected them all the way up their spine often causing new onset of back pain.
    They are cute for fun occasions, but not every day!

42. smo0 says:

Uh… my mother told me this when I bought my first set of heels at 13…..

I don’t wear heels anymore – I wear flats…