College Library Parodies Old Spice Commercials To Coax Students From Dorm Rooms

I’m a college librarian by training. One of the challenges in the profession right now is convincing students who have grown up with instantaneous access to information from home that a library has something to offer them. Brigham Young University’s Harold B. Lee Library reached out to students by producing a video that shows off library resources and looks awfully…. familiar.

Combine viral marketing, a great script, a book cart, and a sandwich: genius. And props to the commercial’s star, comedian and BYU student Stephen Jones.

New Spice | Study like a scholar, scholar [YouTube]
Harold B. Lee Library [Official Site]

Comments

1. Fair&Balanced says:

Brghm Yng nvrsty s fr gys.

• Nigromancer says:

I get that you might be making fun of it being conservative but is that the best way?

• Taliskan says:

If that’s the case, sign me up.

Real mature there “Fair&Balanced”.

• valladolid says:

vague comments like this really confuse me, so I have to look them up to find out what you’re talking about (I guess that’s your point or you just like to troll)

anyway, i found this for people confused like me:

and from somewhere else:

BYU policy currently states:
      “Advocacy of a homosexual lifestyle (whether implied or explicit) or any behaviors that indicate homosexual conduct, including those not sexual in nature, are inappropriate and violate the Honor Code. Violations of the Honor Code may result in actions up to and including separation from the University.”

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Clearly you missed the sarcasm (or I missed yours) but it was his point to outline the conservative environment that is BYU, and some may xall “backwards.”

Crass, but the point is just.

• pantheonoutcast says:

But can you have more than one girlfriend at the same time?

• Raekwon says:

Really? Darn I better go tell the news to my wife then. She went to BYU Idaho does that make her like half lesbian then?

• Fair&Balanced says:

Yes then your wife knows what I am talking about.
        I have many friends who went the BYU Idaho (for those not gay enough to get into BYU).

The moron religion is horrible for kids and young adults. I felt so sorry for the stories my friends told me about their relgion. The sad part is if they do not follow the moron cult their families will disown them and never talk to them again.

• ConsumerMan says:

You don’t know what you’re talking about. It isn’t a cult. No one is disowned. And no one is shunned. (Well, given there are 13 million of them worldwide, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that there are some very small minority of LDS people who might disown a family member if they left the faith, but it isn’t in keeping with the mormon church’s teachings)

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

He might be mistakenly attempting to compare the weirdos who still think its 1800 that had 8 wives in that compound with regular Mormons. Which yeah, you can’t really compare.

• Raekwon says:

Interesting because my brother no longer follows the church and we didn’t disown him. I also have multiple homosexual friends that go or went to BYU and while not the easiest thing they are doing ok and their families still love and support them. I really don’t think The Consumerist is a place for religious discussion especially immature discussion where all you can say is moron, gay and cult.

• grapedog says:

You are arguing with a guy whose posting name is “Fair and Balanced”…

• Fair&Balanced says:

It is not immature.
            I am telling you what mormans have told me who went to BYU and grew up in the chruch.

They even force them to live in another city and make them bug people on the streets to join their church for 2 years on a mission. They have to put off going to college to be dicks to people. It is a sad religion.

Yes if you stop believing the religion they will kick you out of the church and your family can’t stay in the church unless they cut ties with you. That is the way it is.

2. Taliskan says:

I wasn’t expecting much from the video, since working at a University, I know how awful some of these can be… but that was quite well done. I also want a sandwich.

• limiter says:

I also want a sandwich. That sandwich was epic and erased whatever point the video was trying to make from my brain and replaced it with “mmmmm tasty sandwich”.

• limiter says:

As a followup for concerned readers, I managed to acquire a sandwich at lunch. It was not as epic as the one in the video, but it has temporarily enabled me to think of other non-sandwich related things.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

That was indeed the MOST EPIC SANDWICH.

3. Cyniconvention says:

That was quite well made. And funny.

4. LSAX says:

I love it. Even though my grad grades went up the less time I spent in the library, this almost makes me want to go to the library. Almost.

5. rpm773 says:

I was always too busy looking at girls to get any studying done in the library. My bedroom at the house was the best spot for me.

• Draygonia says:

Unless you brought some of those library girls back to your bedroom… than you would be doing little studying… at least of your schoolwork :D

6. Xyjar says:

A lot more professional looking than I was expecting. Props.

7. pecan 3.14159265 says:

That library looks really awesome, and makes me miss college. And I would like a celestial sandwich. Also, “I’m on a cart” is pretty hilarious. This commercial was really well done.

I love how the Old Spice ads are seeping into everything because they’re just that hilarious and creative. They were referenced during the “psych-outs” outtakes portion of Psych on Wednesday.

• nbs2 says:

Psych is back? I may have to have “VPN issues” and spend the rest of the day with hulu running in the background (Psych is on hulu, right?)

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yes and on the USA site but might be on a week delay. The season premiere was Wednesday.

8. nbs2 says:

Memories of undergrad……good times.

9. Raekwon says:

Wow nice to see my school hitting this site. It was a lot better done than I had expected.

10. quirkyrachel says:

Very cute!

11. jo3lr0ck5 says:

It was great…wish I was going to school!

12. robocop is bleeding says:

Awesome. I shared it with my library colleagues. Of course, now I have to worry about someone wanting to do the same thing, only with a 20$ budget…

13. csmcdonald says:

How exactly is this a parody? It doesn’t lampoon Old Spice or the commercials.

Seems to be more of an homage.

14. sponica says:

Don’t worry Laura, anyone going to school that requires doing research with journals will have to go to the library. Because GASP having a print subscription doesn’t mean it’s available online…

• Laura Northrup says:

If you can’t get what you need in print, then change the topic you’re researching!

• sponica says:

I tried to limit my searches to journals available online only….but my grad school had like no money for online subscriptions, and it’s dead tree format wasn’t much better so I ended up having to do interlibrary loan A LOT

15. evnmorlo says:

The library is useless. All important knowledge is written on golden tablets buried in the earth.

16. Jay K. says:

With what-loads?

17. nodaybuttoday says:

what an incredibly well done commercial, especially for a college.

18. NashuaConsumerist says:

Video isn’t working…

19. BorkBorkBork says:

That’s my university! And the library where I spend 80% of my semester inside.

20. Beeker26 says:

Absolutely BRILLIANT!

21. Mr Fife says:

Well done!

22. Splendid says:

Look at an Old Spice ad, now look at this video. Look at the Old Spice Man’s rock hard abs, now look at the B.Y.U. Man’s abs. That’s right you can’t look at the B.Y.U. Man’s abs.

23. NebraskaDan says:

Sure, Mormonism is crazy…..but no crazier than any other religion. I’m a (reformed) Catholic, so I know as well as anyone. I’ve managed to shed everything but the guilt.

Awesome video.

24. tekmill says:

Black people go to BYU?

25. dg says:

Sorry, physical libraries have nothing to offer that I can’t get online. Unless you count buzzing fluorescent lights, a place where chicks chit-chat incessantly about inane topics totally unrelated to school work, librarians who shush people and whine about food/drink, rip off copy machines, books with torn out pages, magazines with torn out pages, stolen books, restricted copy books which can’t be checked out, and limited hours of operation.

The whole thing sucks. Google has the right idea – scan it all in, make it available online anywhere anytime.

• Beeker26 says:

Don’t hold back, man. Tell us how you really feel about libraries.

• Laura Northrup says:

Make up your mind. Do you hate the yapping girls, or do you hate the shushing librarians? You can’t make people shut up unless there’s someone to shut them up.

• Xerloq says:

You need a better library. The HBLL has 9.5 million titles on hand, and it is consistently ranked in the top 10 libraries by the Princeton Review.

It also has some really awesome special collections. You haven’t seen anything until you’re thumbing through a first-edition 18th century book with white gloves in a humidity controlled room. Google can’t give you that.

Laura, are you an MLS?