Wedsafe.Com Insures You Against Wedding Disasters

Putting on a wedding is a lot like putting on a show. A very expensive stressful show that’s for one night only.

There’s lots of different vendors, moving parts, and deposits to take care of, and if something goes wrong or, lord forbid, the wedding date needs to be moved, it can be costly, especially considering you have to work on a tight timeline.

Enter Wedsafe, which offers all-inclusive policies that can insure you in the event of cancellations, weather, disaster cakes, and if an overly drunken guest gets into an accident or a fight, in addition to the liability insurance that most venues will require you to purchase.

They’re underwritten by the Markel American Insurance Company and have been around since 1999. The liability insurance can be purchased online up to 24 hours in advance of the event and the cancellation insurance can be gotten up to 14 days prior. It’s only a few hundred bucks and you can do it all online within a few minutes. Unfortunately, they do not cover losses incurred due to Bridezilla attacks.

Other options for wedding insurance include Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company “celebration insurance,” and polices offered by Traveler’s Insurance.

Wedsafe [Official Site]

MORE: Protect your wedding with insurance [Bankrate]

Comments

1. smo0 says:

I’d take this insurance.

2. Jacquilynne says:

Unlike a great many forms of insurance, this one actually makes some sense to me. It’s a one-off event that in many cases, costs more than a car. I don’t suppose it’s insured against cold feet, though…

Now, whether parties that cost more than a car make sense, that’s a whole other issue entirely.

• Jacquilynne says:

Actually, read the page through and realized you can get cold feet coverage, just not for your own feet.

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think 10% of the policies make sense, and the rest is complete junk.

Coverage typically includes wedding cancellation or postponement if a member of the bridal party dies, gets sick, is injured or can’t come to the wedding because of military service or the shutdown of commercial transportation. (Pre-existing medical conditions are excluded.)

Does this mean that if your bridesmaid has a severe asthma attack and ends up in the hospital the day of your wedding, this isn’t covered because asthma is a pre-existing condition? And whatever happened to just you know…reducing your bridal party by one? I was a bridesmaid for one of my friends and her bridal party fluctuated back and forth between four women and three women because one of the women was a flake. When she finally said she couldn’t be a bridesmaid once and for all, my friend just shrugged and kept her bridal party to three women.

It also will help pay for the reconvening of the bridal party for new pictures if the photographer loses the film or it’s damaged at the lab, new wedding rings if they’re lost, and replacement of damaged, stolen or lost wedding gifts.

There are professional photographers who still use film? I get coverage if the photographer loses the memory card, but isn’t that something that you should be taking up with the photographer anyway? The amount of compensation from your insurance policy can’t possibly be as high as the amount you’re paying the photographer for services he or she eventually failed to deliver. And replacement of lost, damaged, stolen wedding gifts…stolen I can understand, but lost and damaged can usually be replaced by the company the gifts came from, right?

Even cold feet are now covered. In 2007, R.V. Nuccio & Associates began offering “Change of Heart” coverage through Firemen’s Fund. The policy can be purchased by the person who’s paying for the wedding — not the bride or groom. In order to get the benefit of the insurance, the policyholder has to prove that he or she is the innocent party. The policy costs $26 and covers up to $25,000 in deposits and expenses.

What if the bride and groom are paying for the wedding?

• smo0 says:

“What if the bride and groom are paying for the wedding? “

They are probably sniffing out cases of insurance fraud before hand… now that I read that part – it makes more sense to me.

• nbs2 says:

To the first, I believe they are more concerned if something happens to someone in the bride’s family (although I suppose I may be reading too much into it – I’d have to see the definition of bridal party). If the bride’s father has a heart attack, the mother gets stuck at the airport, the brother is deployed, etc.

To the second, accidental damage is often not covered by the mfr. Many ccs will offer replacement policies, but only if the entire product was purchased with the card (and this introduces the issue going through the guest to run all the paperwork). We had our wedding photographed on digital (he even threw in the rights for free), but it would have been nice if the photographer had had one film camera for the “most special” photos. Having the negatives for those would have been nice in case we had blown up a photo beyond the resolution threshold (which we didn’t, but still…). The wedding rings would have been nice. I don’t know how long the coverage lasts, but I’ve had a few instances where I almost lost my ring (most recent – took it off to give the infant a bath and the other kid put it in her jewelry box), and it would have made me double check my pocket a few less times. I proposed on the day that the engagement ring was ready just so there would be less of a chance of me losing it.

To the third, I don’t know. I suppose you could launder your money though a parent or friend. Clearly they don’t want the canceling party to obtain the benefit, and I’m not sure what kind of start to the marriage it would be to buy cold feet insurance on your future spouse.

• Conformist138 says:

The thing with film is that you can’t just “blow it up” forever before film grain kicks in. The only way to shoot higher res than a newer professional digital camera is to shoot medium or large format. 35mm is just not going to blow up well enough for very large sizes. The last time I shot medium format, I spent eight hours perfecting my lighting for two shots. You get no do-overs and no preview of the images. You have to know you have it just right because if it gets messed up, too bad, start over. A quality medium or large format camera can run $5k+, the cost is huge for specialty film and film processing, the liability is scary (damaging wedding photos is something photographers can be sued for, many carry insurance to protect themselves against this very thing), and you still are faced with needing to scan the film into a computer unless you want each image retouched by hand for every printing. Scanning negatives properly is a whole new chore (or expense). Having negatives is great, but they are easily damaged or lost and not so simple to duplicate. With digital photos that are so precious, store them on no fewer than 3 DVDs (not CDs, they don’t last as well), all in different secure locations. Check the discs every year or so to make sure there’s no data corruption, and still remember replace them eventually, even if you don’t think they need it.

I studied photography for four years as my college major, but I’ve been playing with cameras since I was a child. I have a digital camera and a 35mm film camera. The film camera is sort of dusty now, no one wants to pay extra when the film could back blank if something goes wrong.

You are lucky your photographer shot digitally, it’s the best quality without putting the wedding budget into the stratosphere.

• eribre says:

“And whatever happened to just you know…reducing your bridal party by one?”

Last year, my friend’s brother was killed in an accident 3 weeks before she was married. The venue would not allow them to reschedule to a later date, so she had to continue with the wedding barely 2 weeks after the funeral. While I believe she made the best of her wedding day, I’m sure it was very painful and never what she wanted for her wedding.

Point is, bad things happen….sometimes it’s not just wedding drama.

4. dragonfire81 says:

My wife and I didn’t go all out for our wedding. We had a local business handle the catering at a good price (helps if you know the owner) and didn’t even bother with dancing, DJ or an open bar. Everything came off very nicely despite the things we chose to go without and the best part was that we didn’t go into debt to pay for any of it either (we had to pay for it ourselves).

I like it better that way, some people cause way too much drama over a wedding. It’s a few hours of what will (hopefully) be a long term life together.

• smo0 says:

I was once told by family members, the more mishaps and bad things that happen during the wedding – the longer and happier the marriage will be.

• PanCake BuTT says:

That’s absurd !

I was told twice(& then some) by numerous family members, to not bother getting married or having kids, they’ll suck you dry! I have a bad, bad feeling, they are right ! Plus not having kids is a great way to minimize your carbon foot print for years to come. Go Mother Earth !

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’d believe it. Plus, learning to cope with the constant stress and bickering between your future-wife and future-mother-in law help prepare you for pregnancy and childbirth :-)

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

My wife and I had a fairly modest wedding — 95 people, two kegs of beer (and a cash bar), cheesecakes from walmart, Vodka shots (it’s a family tradition), a college friend was the photographer (we gave him a free night at the hotel and an open bar tab), another friend was DJ (open bar tab) and we still spent around $5k. Given all of the constraints by caterers and reception halls, I don’t see how we could have gone much cheaper.

After the births of my children, my wedding was the most significant even in my life. $5k is definitely a lot of money but thankfully, you only get married once.

• backinpgh says:

Wait…what does this have to do with wedding insurance exactly?

• pot_roast says:

Nothing, but someone else is trying to justify spending $50,000 on her ‘perfect’ wedding.

• pinkbunnyslippers says:

Not everyone shares your point of view on wedding modesty. For some people, a small wedding is literally out of the question (when each of your parents is 1 out of 10+ children, for instance). Since you seem to be of the mindset that everyone can adapt to your “don’t go all out” methodology, I wouldn’t expect you to understand the value of wedding insurance.

5. tbax929 says:

You can insure almost anything, other than illegal activities. I’ve been in the insurance industry for over 10 years, and I still get surprised once in a while by the things people want to insure against.

6. cmdr.sass says:

Almost any risk can be insured. Exhibit A: hole-in-one insurance

• diasdiem says:

I just read that as A-hole in one insurance.

• NashuaConsumerist says:

Naw, they don’t make that. God, only if they did, I’d be happy without A-holes or rich after filing a claim because I’m surrounded, either way works for me

7. NarcolepticGirl says:

Imagine working as a customer service rep for this company?
    All those crazy bride women crying and yelling all day…
    good god

8. RandomHookup says:

Does it insure against getting treated roughly on Consumerist when you take a year to write your thank you notes and Target doesn’t have your registry anymore?

9. dangerp says:

Ben, this reads more like a commercial for wedsafe than a consumer’s interest blog entry. Just sayin.

I got married two years ago, and our wedding site required wedding insurance, and recommended wedsafe. We went on the website, payed them a couple hundred, and never thought about them again. Would I have done it if it wasn’t required? No. But if you are in a situation where it is a good idea to have the insurance, then it certainly is a stress free way of doing it.

10. diasdiem says:

Still no insurance for marrying the wrong person. Oh wait, that’s a prenup.

11. TJ says:

I purchased insurance from Wedsafe.com for my wedding (Dec 2007), and thankfully didn’t need to make a claim.

It was nice that it was there, though. I think it was something like $200 to insure our $15,000 wedding. The piece of mind it gave my wife was easily worth that much.

12. EverCynicalTHX says:

Does kinda read like an advertisement.

Regardless, this is Consumerist and frugal people don’t have expensive weddings – simply invite a few friends and relatives to a resort (they pay their own way) , rent a tent and some chairs on the sand and hire a cheap local cater.

That’s my consumer tip of the week, sure beats a 10% off coupon or reusing razor blades..

13. jonroknrol says:

But will they write my thank you notes for me? I’m kinda busy with life.

14. dg says:

This thing is worthless. I negotiated all the contracts for my wedding – venue, photographer, food. If the venue is providing the venue – THEY’RE LIABLE for the problems, not me. They better have a backup cake in case their table collapses, or something happens. If something happens to the cake by one of my guests – they’ll just get to deal with the Bride… there’s your insurance right there.

Weather, disasters – whatever. Build a force majure clause into the contracts.

I could care less about drunken guests getting into fights or injured. That’s why the VENUE has dram shoppe insurance, and why I specifically disclaim any liability in the contracts. They’re the professionals, they’re doing the serving, they’re responsible. I’m at MY wedding – the last thing I’m worrying about is what people are doing – I’m concerned about my BRIDE having the day she’s dreamed about for her entire life (and getting my ASS KICKED if it’s not).

15. Blious says:

I would not trust this company one bit as I could see them weaseling their way out of numerous issues if they popped up

I suggest most hire a wedding pro that deals with all aspects of it

16. LaziestManOnMars says:

Is there a provision for one of your bride’s maids gaining a bunch of weight between the dress fitting and the wedding?