We Gained Five Pounds Just Looking At This Lasagna Sandwich

In case lasagna, with its layers of pasta and cheese, isn’t fattening enough for you, a grocery store chain in the UK has introduced something that might be right up your carbo-loading alley — a pre-made lasagna sandwich.

Unfortunately, because no one in England apparently has any idea what lasagna is, consumers get “two thick slices of bread and a filling of diced beef in a tomato and herb sauce layered with cooked pasta sheets and a creamy cheddar, ricotta and mayonnaise dressing.”

Sounds yummy.

And even though one sandwich is 565 calories, Tesco, the grocery chain that sells them for around $3.50 says:

We think the lasagna sandwich could become the food of choice for anyone wanting a solid snack between meals… The lasagna sandwich is something which we hope people will see as an occasional treat in the same way that people will sometimes treat themselves to a burger or a curry

What do you think? Is this something you would chow down on?

Bon appetit! The first-ever lasagna sandwich goes on sale in Britain [NY Daily News]

Comments

1. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Just think of it as a meatball sub, only on slices of bread instead of a sub, and with tiny, tiny meatballs.

2. grucifer says:

A solid snack, eh? Sounds like lunch to me @ 565 calories, haha.

3. Trance says:

Mayonnaise dressing on lasagna? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I said the same thing about Meyownis on grilled cheese, but once I tried it…

• chiieddy says:

I like mayo on lots and lots of stuff, but adding it to an item with tomato sauce, beef, pasta, etc already added seems unnecessary and sort of gross

• audiochick says:

Exactly! I am a vegetarian, and the meat part didn’t gross me out as much as the mayo part. That does not sound delicious.

4. bhr says:

freaking diet…

/eats another cherry tomato

5. areaman says:

Doesn’t look that bad. It’s not like the bread has been replaced by fried chicken.

6. Dallas_shopper says:

The British are certainly creative with their sandwiches; I loved the variety of sandwiches available over there but this one, like the chip butty (french fry sandwich), isn’t tempting to me at all.

• Untidy Sanchez says:

They are not my favorite, but the bacon butty? Pure awesomeness.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Bacon butties are the BOMB. Chip butties…never saw the point. Too starchy for me I think. We had a shop in my city that did the most amazing bacon sandwiches with fresh ground black pepper and HP sauce. Drooling just thinking about it.

• kc2idf says:

I had to teach them how to make a cheese and veg sandwich, though. The only vegetarian option on the menu at the hotel where I was staying was a fried egg sandwich (which I didn’t have the taste for at the time, though I love them now, over a decade later). By the time I left, the menu had been amended to include the “American vegetarian sandwich”

• shepd says:

Yeah, if you want something like that in the UK, you get a ploughman’s lunch. Cheese and pickle sandwich.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Weird. When I lived in England they were perfectly au fait with the concept of a vegetarian sandwich that contained neither egg nor cheese and pickle.

7. simplegreen says:

BLASPHEMY!

8. bhr says:

And somewhere Jamie Oliver weeps.

• nbs2 says:

Why? Other than the bread, which looks like it is processed, everything on that sandwich could have been handmade from scratch. My understanding is that his philosophy is healthy eating through fresh eating (and thus avoiding the excess content from the processing/preservation process).

• chiieddy says:

Jamie Oliver isn’t just anti-processed foods. This sandwich is sort of ridiculous. Let’s ignore all the stuff in it and just concentrate on one thing… it has pasta AND bread. Seriously, remove the pasta and it’s probably 200 calories less, remove the bread and it’s… lasagna

9. SkokieGuy says:

I don’t think it’s terrible. Turning a food that requires a knife and fork into something you can eat with your hands, at your desk, in your car (while texting and drinking coffee of course).

The calories aren’t worse than many other fast food type products.

To me the only horror is the mayonnaise dressing, but then again, its the UK.

Fun Fact: Excessive mayonnaise consumption causes weak chins and dental decay.

• jessjj347 says:

After all, we did the same thing to pizza. Made it so that you pick it up….and much larger.

10. jessjj347 says:

I love Tesco! I wish we had them in the U.S..
    I used to be able to get so much “convenience” food like this for so cheap :(
    Wahh our sandwiches in boxes like that are so gross. I bet even this lasagna sandwich is awesome.

11. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

So this is less healthy than bringing a piece of homemade lasagna in from home? While I understand your hatred of the Double Down, and things like it, I can’t understand how you have a valid problem with this. I think this is your windmill, Don Morranie.

Also, Chris, your math is off. A pound of fat contains 3500 calories. For this sandwhich to make you gain 5 pounds, it would require 17,500 calories.

• Conformist138 says:

Looking at that, yeah, I’d gain weight by eating it. Not just from the sandwich, but from my lack of desire to move after consuming a cheesy mayo meat paste slathered between both bread and pasta.

It’s more than “less healthy” than a slice of lasagna, it’s got more calories than I eat for my entire dinner and yet they claim it’s a potential snack between meals. The fat and carb combo on that sucker would have me in a coma.

12. lizzybeans11 says:

I can’t get behind a nation that spreads butter on every. single. sandwich. they. make.

Ham and cheese…and butter.

Eggsalad…and butter.

Stop the insanity and needless calories!!!

• redskull says:

Ha! My Grandmother wasn’t British, but she used to do this. Every time I’d go to her house, every sandwich she made had buttered bread. I couldn’t stand it. I could barely choke down bologna as it was, but with butter added to the mix… yeesh.

She even buttered the bread when making a peanut butter sandwich!

• Airos says:

Hey, I *loved* peanut butter & butter sandwiches as a kid.

Also, grilled cheese and honey.

Now I’m hungry.

13. womynist says:

Lasagna. Is not. A snack.

I’m ready for my lunch break but looking at that sandwich just made me lose my appetite.

14. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Can get get a taste test with Garfield?

15. Platypi {Redacted} says:

I prefer to eat my Italian food on the bread, and always wondered why restaurants don’t just serve spaghetti sandwiches to save me the trouble. That particular sandwich doesn’t look that great, mainly due to the white bread and mayo dressing, but I would surely make my own at home!

16. colorisnteverything says:

If it is from the UK it will never taste like proper Italian food. I lived there a year and didn’t find decent Italian food anywhere. Had to go to Italy. Had the best lasagna of my life.

17. yessongs says:

What would you expect it’s from the UK, home of great food.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I rag on the UK a lot (lived there for six years) but I will give credit where it’s due. The food was great. You just had to know which restaurants to avoid. They haven’t quite caught up to us in terms of “stunt food” and not everything is deep-fried and/or slathered in cheese and bacon. Yet.

18. the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I have a nice hangover right now and that just looks oh, so delicious!

19. adrienna says:

If you’re going to eat something like this, you should do it right like at Melt Bar and Grilled in Lakewood. The Godfather (3 cheese lasagna, fresh fennel-oregano pasta sheets, spicy red sauce, provolone, garlic spiked bread) has got to be WAY better than this. And no mayo! (For the record, I don’t think Melt is all that, but the Godfather is tasty.)

20. ElizabethD says:

Never buy food from a Brit.

21. AlexisT says:

Actually, they do know what lasagna is. Lasagna bolognese is pasta layered with meat sauce and topped with bechamel. As far as northern Italians are concerned, it’s Americans who don’t know what lasagna is. The Cheddar, however….

Also, British prepacked sandwiches are never that filling, so forget gaining 5 lbs. I’m sure I’ve seen worse combinations, too.

22. Beeker26 says:

Both of my Italian grandmothers are rolling in their graves…

23. Emily says:

Mayonnaise?! That compounds the “ew.”

Not doing the image of British food any favors.

24. redskull says:

Like I always say, there’s a reason there are 75 Chinese restaurants in town, and NO British ones.

25. HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s not a snack; it’s lunch. Although I like the idea, I probably wouldn’t buy a pre-made one.

26. Arcaeris says:

Sure, why not? If I’ll eat yakisoba in sandwich form (yakisoba pan), I’ll eat lasagna in sandwich form.

27. xredgambit says:

If the bread was some garlic bread I bet this would be awesome.

28. Hands says:

With all due respect to our British friends, my food experience on my one and only trip to London was much worse than my people experience. The best meal I had there was appetizers at a Hard Rock. For the record: there’s a Hard Rock four miles from my home and I won’t even set foot in there.

29. god_forbids says:

Just got back from Japan a few days ago … funny what passes for outrageous on this side of the Pacific :O