Government Wipes Out Geese Population In Brooklyn To Ensure Airplane Safety

In what has come to be known as “Sully’s Revenge” (by me, just now), wildlife biologists herded about 400 geese from Brooklyn’s ginormous Prospect Park into cages last week, then “took them to a nearby building where they were gassed with lethal doses of carbon dioxide.”

A spokesman told the New York Times that the goal is to improve aviation and passenger safety, and the paper says the federal government has been doing this in NYC since US Airways Flight 1549 was taken down by geese in January 2009. But the difference this time is how drastic the culling seems, at lest to people who used to go to the park to stare at the geese.

Last summer, 1,235 were rounded up at 17 sites around the city and later killed. But the Prospect Park culling appears to be among the biggest, and its scope mortified some residents.

“It’s a horrible end,” said Anne-Katrin Titze, who went to the park nearly every morning to feed the geese. “It’s eerie to see a whole population gone. There’s not one goose on this lake. It looks as though they’ve been Photoshopped out.”

“400 Park Geese Die, for Human Fliers’ Sake” [New York Times]

Comments

1. JoeDawson says:

PETA to the rescue? There must be a better way.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

PETA would actually kill them as well. Peta kills at least 3x this amount of animals every year, and as high as 7x according to their own numbers.

• full.tang.halo says:

Good thinking, PETA is one of the best at rounding up and killing animals, 20,000 kills and an 86% kill ratio over the last 10-11 years would be best suited to this job.

• Bremma says:

I’d say they could just relocate them, but they might be a population that is attracted to the lake and would just return again. As much as I’m not a huge fan of these geese, I still feel killing so many was bad :(

• liz.lemonade says:

My school bought eight wooden cut-outs of German Shepherds and positioned them around the building to keep away the flock of two dozen geese that take up residence nearly year-round. They’d reposition them every few days, and damned if that didn’t actually stop the geese from showing up! Unfortunately, someone got a bit lazy and let the cut-outs stay in one place for weeks at a time, and the geese caught on and started coming back. And when school starts up next month, we’ll have to get someone from the district’s maintenance crew come out and pressure-wash the mountains of geese droppings on the sidewalks.

• Dustbunny says:

I seem to remember reading recently that the Portland Airport has hired a couple of border collies to chase birds away. Seems like a more humane solution than just killing them.

• Hoss says:

A Yoko Ono concert in the park would do it. Humane though?

• Mr. TheShack says:

To anyone trying to damage PETA by bringing up the fact that they kill animals:

You will lose this debate. These people are vegans, they are king at trolling, and they have a very well thought-out mission. To help animals. It is no secret that they terminate animals. It happens. It isn’t the fault of PETA that people from every class have this desire to “breed” animals and make these attempts at artificial evolution. You want to blame PETA for killing animals? How about blaming some asshole who doesn’t get his cat fixed, and breeds 50+ kittens in a lifetime? How about an owner who wants to “breed” his dog, resulting in so many puppies that not every one of them can have a home?

PETA can’t *make* people fix their animals. They can’t make people keep the animals that are bred. They can only do their damndest to control what they can: The treatment and welfare of these wayward creatures. So yeah, go get self-righteous and indignant with a PETA activist. You probably eat meat and are just being a devils advocate – they actually care. You will lose.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

You’re right, I fixed my cats, even the inside ones, treat them like gods, but if I want to be truly righteous, I should kill them. It’s the best things for them.

And so what I eat meat? I take the opinion of Temple Grandin. She loves animals and helped designed more humane slaughter houses and cattle yards. She understands that yes, they are going to be killed and eaten, but the least we can do is make it as humane as we can.

• Conformist138 says:

Wait, I eat meat, so I’m on the losing side? Come on, I love animals, but I don’t deny that I am an omnivore. Heck, my cats that I love so much are naturally carnivores, they’d be happy with nothing but other animals to chew on. To be a responsible pet owner and feed my cat a diet that is truly healthy, I have to allow other animals to die. For one to live, another dies. Circle of life, baby.

I agree that, yes, PETA cannot be blamed for the need to put down animals that are too sick or injured or dangerous, but don’t give me that load of crap about putting them down for a lack of homes. I have foster kittens in my house right now that were born to a mom with feline leukemia and even though the babies from the whole litter could still have it and may never find adoptive families, the organization is still providing them care in foster homes with volunteers. Overpopulation is a major issue, but not an excuse for PETA to put down healthy animals when plenty of other organizations exist solely to take in the overflow and prevent such needless slaughter.

I eat things that humans naturally evolved to eat, including both plants and animals. My pets are natural carnivores and I acknowledge that. Rather than gassing them and blaming everyone else, I welcomed some of the victims of pet overpopulation into my home. PETA can bite me (nom nom nom!)

• Enduro says:

I think using herding dogs is a better way. I’m not a huge fan of animals but gassing them all (and not using the meat) seems rather extreme.

2. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Rats with wings. Exterminate every last one of them, or deport them back to Canada.
    And send the people who feed them to the same fate.

• AstroPig7 says:

No, no. Pigeons are rats with wings. Geese are just perverts who look up women’s skirts.

• PanCake BuTT says:

Awesome counter-comment, you my fwend comment-joust very well !

• SaraFimm says:

I agree with the pigeons being rats with wings. Geese don’t cover cities large and small as much as those mostly gray nuisances who will lodge in home roofs and crevasses as easily as those that are commercial. All geese do is eat and poop in parks and golf courses–mostly near some body of water. Geese are supposed to migrate and many of them have stopped doing this due to being fed year round by well meaning people. If they’re being “fattened up” by people, I say we start turning them into food for the less fortunate!!

• NashuaConsumerist says:

+1 for pointing out 400 geese probably could have fed someone or something…. Hell, food for the zoo animals at that point….

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Except you have to worry about disease and other things. These weren’t farm raised birds. Who knows what they ate and what disease they carry. Feeding them to a person let alone a precious animal like a zoo animal would be foolish without testing them extensively.

• ghostfire says:

I’d have to partially agree. The problem isn’t that they’re not farm raised, or even that they’re wild, but that they’re city geese, and city geese eat a lot of garbage. Actual wild goose, hunted and freshly prepared, is great.

• Harrkev says:

Yup. Geese have a lot of meat.

The only thing that concerns me is that they were killed using CO2. I do not think that is a pleasant way to go. Carbon Monoxide would probably be more pleasant, as you just go to sleep.

• pop top says:

Hey now. Rats are very sweet and can at least be potty trained.

• Newto-Rah says:

Hey! We don’t want them back either.

I used to work at a summer camp that had a very large sloping field down to a large lake/bay. It would get absolutely disgusting by then end of the summer, running down to the the waterfront was a mixture of running through a minefield and going down a slip and slide.

I was very much considering getting a group of other counselors up extra early before the kids, and pulling out the archery gear for a bit of advanced practice.

• Shadowman615 says:

“The horror! The horror!…Exterminate all the brutes!”

• Difdi says:

No, rock doves (also known as the common city pigeon) are rats with wings. Geeze are GIANT rats with wings.

3. snobum says:

Ok, prospect park is no where near the airports. What did the birds 12 miles away do to deserve this?

• TuxthePenguin says:

Ummm… they fly.

• sanjaysrik says:

No? since when? They do?

• snobum says:

The geese that caused the US air crash were located right near the airport, where the planes have a tendency to annoy/scare the birds. I hardly doubt those in Prospect Park were bothered by planes.

• DarthCoven says:

Prospect Park lies beneath a landing approach for one of the two major airports nearby. Planes do fly overhead at only a thousand feet or so. I’m pretty sure they are under the LAG landing approach.

• hattrick says:

It’s the LGA landing approach. And the FAA could simply do what residents have been begging them to do for years–reroute the damn planes.

4. ConsumerPop says:

Wow..this seems a little extreme. I like running by the geese in the water :(

• Shadowman615 says:

Me too — but to a point. After a few years there gets to be thousands of them sitting around a lake. And goose-shit all over the pathways.

• zegron says:

Do you like stepping in their ‘leavings’ while on your jog? :-) I sure wouldn’t, the geese population has exploded in the last decade, I’m perfectly fine with a tiny handful being eliminated.

5. doctor_cos wants you to remain calm says:

Cue another remake of “The Birds” in 3…2…1…

6. Speak says:

This should be done more often and in more places than just NYC. We have a goose problem here in East Central PA where the waste from the geese is polluting the water worse than any of the farm run-off ever has. Several lakes with swimming have been shut down in recent years due to high levels of pollution attributed to the geese. All these geese do is eat and poop. It’s not nice to step in their waste when out at one of the parks in my town, but it’s very hard to avoid it some times.

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Then could we at least feed the geese to the homeless?

• TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Why? Just so your high and mighty azz can fly?
      Guess you forgot that birds flew long before aircraft.

If a plane goes down because of birds then it goes down…….with this logic, are you going to kill off the deer population to keep people from killing themselves trying to avoid or hitting them while driving down the road…….

Yeah pretty ridiculous eh?

• Conformist138 says:

I don’t think we should kill the geese, but the comment was about the issues faced by people on the ground. Nothing about the comment mentioned flying. In those cases where an animal has become a pest and a health hazard, I can’t say I support wiping them out, but something should be done. Perhaps there’s a way to make remote lakes more to their liking? That and more hunting licenses would seem a bit more fair than cages and carbon dioxide.

In this situation, where the goose population wasn’t destroying or polluting to such extremes, killing the geese is just wrong. By that measure, we should just ship off and gas any living beings that get in our way. Godwin’s law in 3… 2… 1…

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Not ridiculous at all. When I lived in Georgia, deer were the menace there. IIRC, the state department of wildlife produced research figures that showed there were more actual head of deer in Georgia in the 1990s than there were when Europeans first landed. They were starving and getting sick, fouling suburban yards, becoming garden and farm pests, running out in front of cars, and socially acting like rats in a shoebox. A Druid would be walking around with a shotgun and a hunting license at the rate it was going.

By the way, I am about to fly to the Middle East to help keep things going over there, so your lazy, ignorant azz can lay about taking potshots at adults who know more than you. You’re welcome.

7. You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

This makes me a little sad. I love geese! The sight/sound of them flying overhead every spring and fall!
    Was never a big fan of the taste of goose, though.

8. Hoss says:

They bagged the geese and put them in a landfill? What a waste

• Joewithay says:

They could of made a lot of good pillows

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Unlike domestic birds, they would have to test each one for disease before feeding them to someone. Also, they aren’t very good eating, from what I understand. Not many people like the taste of them.

• Hoss says:

The article mentions animal feed. If there are no pig farms in the area, I bet the kids at the zoo would enjoy seeing animals attack the birds

• tsukiotoshi says:

I know I would!

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Since these aren’t farm raised birds, they may have high amounts of toxins in their body, in addition to disease. I wouldn’t want to chance hurting/killing a zoo croc, big cat, etc… because I tried feeding it a wild goose that had been swimming in/eating from the waters around NYC.

• nova3930 says:

It be better if they just opened up the length of the hunting season and increased the bag limits. At least then they go to making someone a meal….

9. AllanG54 says:

Geez, I wish they would do that on Long Island. Can’t go to a park without stepping in goose shit. They’re like rats and it seems like they outnumber people.

• TouchMyMonkey says:

Well, I hate it when one craps on my car. Big white splat about the size of a silver dollar (a real one, not the Carter Quarter). It’s usually the day after I finally get around to washing/waxing the beast.

• perruptor says:

I don’t think you’ve seen goose poop*. It’s green, and looks more like small-dog poop than splat. I don’t think geese poop while flying, but lots of other birds do. Seagulls, for instance – they squirt it out while airborne, and sometimes I think they aim it. Theirs is white.

* Not a song by the Beach Boys

• Jfielder says:

that’s not goose shit…. Goose crap looks like green dog turds… and it’s slipperier than pig snot. Working at a zoo a few years ago I would see people slip in the stuff all the time…. it’s nasty.

• lim says:

Are we talking Morgan/Eisenhower dollar size because that is quite a dropping!

10. NarcolepticGirl says:

That’s horrible. i love angry geese!

The park that I used to live near would just transport the geese to another part of the county.

• BlisteringSilence says:

Sure they did. And that doggy that you had when you were little, it really went to a farm in the country with a nice farm family where it could live out its days playing with the cows and pigs, too.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

nah, I went to both parks. The reason I found out was because they were unloading a bunch of geese and muscovy ducks at the other (less used) park.
        And then it was in the paper that day.
        There was only about 20 of them, though.

• dreamfish says:

I doubt you’d love an angry goose that was attacking you.

11. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Wow, someone who feeds these things is upset they are gone? That’s just about as surprising as when people who feed deer get surprised when they too need to be culled.

How about you ask the kids who have to slip and slide on their scat on playing fields, or people who can’t put a blanket down on the ground because of the scat. Add in the people who have to clean this up, the people whom these things harass, and the detrimental effect that their scat has on water quality and cleanliness, and I think you will hear a different tune.

These animals have stopped migrating like they used to,and have become a problem precisely because of people like the idiot in the article who feed them. I have to fight with them nearly year round because they land in our horse paddocks and not only eat the grass down to a point where it kills it, but also leave diseased ridden scat on the grass that our horses then eat. You cease to feel sorry for a goose when you discover a fully developed aborted foal lying dead in a field because the mare caught a virus from eating bird excrement.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Well, I mean, I feel the same way about kids.

• ConsumerPop says:

I have never seen geese shit on the street/road in Prospect Park.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

One of my friends used to leave near a big pond. There were geese that liked being at the pond, and not only do they get extremely territorial about the pond shore, they poop everywhere and because they’re territorial, it makes it hard for people to clean up the shore. It’s nice to look at the pond from a distance, but you’re out of luck if you actually want to spend any time there when the geese are around.

• nbs2 says:

If you ever go running down by the pond that is just off the WWII Memorial/Reflecting Pool, the geese are everywhere. Nothing worse than sucking wind and then hitting a stink-wall of humid rotting goose crap.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Maybe the cars hit them before they could!

But are you seriously denying that the geese don’t poop/didn’t poop in Prospect Park?

• ConsumerPop says:

Nope, just denying that kids in the park slip and slide on scat. (Loved that line so much I just had to use it!) I’m sure they’re logic/reasoning for doing so is what’s best for everyone..but it just seems extreme when (as far as I know) these geese aren’t causing problems otherwise. I hope the goose that had the arrow through it’s neck (and survived) flies out of the park before this happens!

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

According the article, it hasn’t been seen since the culling. I thought it might have been the one I hit by accident, but I looked at the picts, and it wasn’t my kind of arrow.

• OmniZero says:

You know, I felt bad for the Geese initially. I mean, couldn’t they have just relocated them?

Now I read your comment. Holy crap my mind got changed.

• Random Guy on the Internet says:

They should do this to our prisons as well. Let’s thin out the human population while we’re in the culling mood.

• knoxblox says:

Shhh…don’t give any ideas to the G20 Summit Security Force. They’ll be gassing protesters next.

• twophrasebark says:

“These animals have stopped migrating like they used to”

They did not stop migrating. The geese that were killed in NYC come from populations brought here 80 years ago for hunting. Canada geese return to where they were born to nest. Once brought here, their offspring stayed.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I do not believe you are correct. Canada Geese DO migrate, but they also will set up permanent residence in areas that meet their needs. In fact, you can get them to change their migration routes if you make them believe a small plane is their parent/member of the flock. They are from North America and the Northern US states. Since they used to be considered threatened, I doubt they brought them in for hunting.

• twophrasebark says:

Yes, many of the geese were brought here as decoys for hunting. Yes, as you said, they were endangered. And therefore some were brought to resupply low populations in the US. This is where the vast majority of geese in the US come from. Yes, some have stopped migrating but this is a new phenomenon. The geese we are talking about have been around for 80 years. You can look it up on the internet. Or don’t. You just don’t seem to have any interest in anything but your own beliefs. It’s boring to discuss things with you.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Here’s a guy who got geese to follow his plane from Ontario to Virginia, and they have made the trip back already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Lishman

So these geese traveled from Canada to the US. Unless you are saying the geese from Canada are related to the New York geese you mention, which every goose in the tri state area seems to have come from.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

I can honestly say, I have never seen the word scat used in a single comment ever. Fine effort!

Canada Geese can certainly nastify any land near decent sized bodies of water. I have seen softball fields, golf courses, lake recreation areas, and more rendered completely unusable thanks to the damn geese “scat”. I bear no sorrow for the death of these geese, though I would hope that they could find a way to make use of the meat!

• rayne117 says:

I think we should just kill off all the humans. They leave their scat in little bowls just to get flushed in water.

12. wellfleet says:

You know what works even better than killing geese? Not hitting geese while flying. Try that, pilots!

• wellfleet says:

But definitely agreed on the rodents with wings. They’re a major nuisance and have started behaving more like domesticated animals on the loose than wild birds. I also support this for feral cat colonies.

• BlisteringSilence says:

Yeah, because the passengers on that 737 would be all about a plane engaging in evasive maneuvering as the pilot avoids 3 or 4 geese. Not to mention, a 737 isn’t a fighter jet. They’re not the most agile aircraft aloft.

1. Think
      2. Engage keyboard.

• TheHaroldTimes says:

you know what works better than vaccines? Not getting sick! Try that, general population!
      Dear Herp Derp, in order to rise up and to maintain height in an airplane, the said airplane must generate enough force to counteract gravity pulling down on it, guess where it comes from? The giant assed turbines which suck in massive amounts of air, and geese if its close enough. What do you expect pilots to do? evasive maneuvering because of 1 geese? barrel rolls? please filter what you post by thinking it out

• operator207 says:

And you would be the first to complain your coffee is in your lap when they do an EM. Moron. You try to take a 737 or any other commercial aircraft into ANYTHING that looks like a fighter jet should do it, and the wings would rip off. They are designed to fly straight, and make sweeping turns. Not dodge birds. Fortunately, most engines can handle an injection of poultry. And if they cannot, all commercial aircraft can handle being down an engine for a short period of time. As long as there is no other damage or fire to put out.

I agree.
      1. Think.
      2. Engage keyboard.

• DarksSideMoon says:

Are you serious? Please tell me you’re joking. I’m learning to fly and it’s difficult enough to avoid birds in a Cessna which is alot more maneuverable than most airliners. Most of these bird strikes happen in approach or departure, where any significant change in direction or attitude could cause a stall. Also, have you even seen what the cockpit windows look like? You would need x-ray vision to be able to see well enough to avoid all the birds.

• jason in boston says:

Says the person who has never been behind a stick.

• wellfleet says:

You guys need to recognize a joke. It was a sendoff of a Matt Damon bit where he plays a pilot all indignant that he doesn’t get recognition for not hitting birds.

13. Kris says:

That’s ridiculous! Could they have not have transported them somewhere far, far away? This makes me sad.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

No. Due to the chance they are carrying a disease, you would have to isolate them all individually so they don’t fight, check them each for disease, keep feeding/caring them for the whole time, and then find someone willing to take them. You can’t just release an animal into the wild. It’s actually against the law in many places and even against federal law in some spots.

• Kris says:

Gotcha. Still, these particular geese didn’t do anything. Just seems inhumane to me.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

It was very humane. Gassing, depending on the gas used(not like nerve gas), makes the animal get tired, and then pass out. After they pass out, they then die. It’s just like when people die in an enclosed garage or because of a faulty heater. They die very peacefully and quietly, and don’t have to be manhandled to try to stick a needle in them.

As for them doing something, many people just visit the park and only see the surface. They don’t see the water that is slowly becoming more and more opaque and also polluted or the other issues like the impact on the other wildlife in the park. I will trust wildlife biologists/technicians and the federal Agriculture Department to judge if getting rid of these animals was detrimental. I don’t trust someone who goes and feeds these things and encourages them to stick around. If these birds were molting, then they had pretty much set up home in this area.

• TheHaroldTimes says:

Gassing is considered the best way to euthanize certain animals. At the Research facility I’m working at, CO2 is the primary way to euthanize rats, with a possible secondary procedure of either cervical dislocation or bilateral thoractomy. Its supposed to be painless, and quite quick

14. minsky says:

I wish they would do that to all the damn geese in Illinois. All they do is crap everywhere and destroy the grass wherever they are, and they are everywhere.

• Spaceman Bill Leah says:

I know in Chicago, while they may not kill adult geese, there is an egg killing program.

An old article but it gives you the gist of what they do here.

• Gramin says:

We also kill those damn fish in Chicago! Though, that’s not always successful. I was chatting with someone who works for the State’s Department of Natural Resources about those damn Asian Carp. They performed a targeted kill down some couple mile stretch of river. Unfortunately, only one of the dead fish they found was Asian Carp. But I applaud their effort. Better to destroy those damn Asian Carp before they destroy my lake!

• Laura Northrup says:

Goose abortions. Fascinating.

15. TouchMyMonkey says:

It’s not like they’re endangered or anything. In fact, their population has grown to the point where they’re becoming a nuisance.

16. PanCake BuTT says:

I know someone mentioned that killing all these geese was a huge waste. But before I read that comment, and read the post, I immediately thought of this clip :

Enjoy

17. ehrgeiz says:

Those geese are cooked, those geese are cooked cooked cooked.

18. Marshmelly says:

So their solution to the geese-in-the-engine problem is to kill all the geese in the hopes that they will never fly in front of an engine instead of…oh I don’t know…creating some preventative measure with the engine itself. Its 2010 and we really can’t figure this stuff out? Its like me going out and shooting every rabbit I see in the neighborhood to make sure one of them doesn’t chew my flowers.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

No engine is indestructible, and while it would be great to, once and for all, have an engine that is completely immune to bird strikes, that time hasn’t come and we need to have other methods to prevent these problems. Many planes already have safety measures in place for when one engine is hit by a bird, the other can more or less take over until the plane lands, but it’s a tall order to say that all we need to do is develop an engine that birds can just ricochet off of.

• jason in boston says:

Actually, you should. What do you value more? Your perfectly manicured flowerbed or those dangerous and life threatening rabbits?

I know what I would choose. Remember what Les Stroud taught us. If you must eat rabbit whilst in Alaska, eat the whole thing…including brain and the heart. You will get protein poisoning if you don’t.

• excaza says:

Putting anything on the engine that would be strong enough to withstand a bird strike would add cost, weight, and interfere with the airflow. You can’t just willy-nilly start tacking things in front of the intake of a turbine and expect it to work as efficiently as it did before.

Controlling the bird populations near major airports is much easier and much cheaper. Usually it’s as simple as firing off some pyrotechnics to scare the birds off, and maybe doing sweeps to make sure they’re not nesting in the area. They do it around drinking water reservoirs too.

Besides, geese are becoming a nuisance in many areas, and they’re not remotely close to being endangered. Culling often is necessary and isn’t nearly as bad as all the idiots who sit and feed the geese so they never have to leave.

• Gramin says:

Planes work right now. I feel safe on them. I would much rather they kill geese than start tinkering with the ENGINES ON A 747! They work, don’t fix them. Kill the geese. There are too many of them anyways.

19. dolemite says:

NY sounds more and more like China on a daily basis. I understand the principle, but I still don’t agree with it.

You know, if we eradicated all animals, we wouldn’t have to fear bird flu, rabies…

20. SkokieGuy says:

Animals are killed for food every day and in far more horrific ways (turkeys beheaded behind Sarah Palin – remember?).

With CO2 gassing, essentially, you go to sleep from lack of oxygen, I believe it is pain-free.

What is sad is that in an economic crisis, these animals we’re turned into food. I’m sure there are lots of programs that provide meals for the less fortunate that would have been thrilled to have goose to cook.

• SkokieGuy says:

we’re = were not.

I will never let lack of typing and spelling skills stand in the way of commenting!

• Burrakkurozu says:

I agree that it was a waste to just kill and dispose of the carcasses like that. True, It may have cost money to have the carcasses tested, however, I would like to see hungry people get fed.

Reminds me of the stories I was told about concerning some types of trophy hunters. After they take the “trophy” part they want, they leave or poison the meat for who knows what reason rather than take the meat home and eat it or give it away.

Anyway, whats done is done.

21. mommiest says:

First, make it illegal for people to feed geese in parks. Ticket them if they violate the law.

Second, get and train a few bird dogs (English Springer Spaniels) to chase and harass the geese without harming them. This has been done in parks in Ontario. The geese will go somewhere else, and you will have some very happy dogs.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yes, they’ll go somewhere else and that “somewhere else” might also be in a flight path. It could be a vicious cycle.

• Kitamura says:

I’m pretty sure a tarmac makes a terrible location to try and find food.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Do you not understand what “flight path” entails? Prospect Park is miles away from the airport, and they’re removing the geese because the park is on the airport’s flight path. Shooing away birds doesn’t mean they won’t just settle somewhere that is also a flight path.

• mommiest says:

Isn’t just about all air space above the US, except near the White House, a flight path?

It seems to me that if you just kill them, other flocks will settle in the same park where people are feeding them and there are no predators. I guess you could post a sign that says, “We Kill Geese Here,” but only the smart, well-educated geese will stay away.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I mean flight path as in the direction planes take as they’re coming in or taking off. They fly above nearly all space, yes, but the biggest danger to a plane when it comes to birds is landing and taking off, so the geese that hang out where planes are at cruising altitude are fine because there’s no way a goose can fly so high as to be a problem to a plane, but the ones who are closer to the airport and fly around the same altitude that planes are taking off and landing pose a danger.

• Gramin says:

Damn you Canadians! Your damn dogs are sending those geese to New York. I have a better solution: capture them and return them to Ontario.

• mommiest says:

Whoa, I hope you’re not accusing me of being Canadian. I married one, but that’s as far as it goes.

22. Daverson says:

This is the best kind of “capture and relocate” plan. Capture the filthy bastards and relocate them to critter hell.

Until you’ve had to put up with piles of filthy green shitlogs, fouled ponds, and huge aggressive birds, you have no idea what it’s like to really live with Canada geese. It wasn’t so much a problem until dumbasses started feeding them and encouraging them not to migrate.

23. Zowzers says:

Hehe, Photoshop is now a verb!

• dolemite says:

Don’t make me Wordpad you.

• ElizabethD says:

You’re only noticing this NOW?

Don’t make me come over there and snark you.

• Zowzers says:

Sorry, I’ve too been busy laughing at how “science” is also used as a verb to notice that Photoshop became one too.

I’m a lazy motion graphics artist I guess.

24. Thyme for an edit button says:

It makes me feel sad, but it sounds like it was necessary if they posed a risk to aircraft.

25. mrmcd says:
  26. gqcarrick says:

So taking to them to the Adirondacks would have been that much of a hassle? Wow.

• Doubts42 says:

because introducing non native flora and fauna has worked out so well for ecosystems in the past. Wow.
      1 diseased bird can wipe out entire populations as well.

27. sagodjur says:

I wonder if they’re aware of the etymology of the word aviation. It makes this story all the more ironic.

28. Mecharine says:

People feeding the geese is the reason why there is a major problem with them. Look what happened to the sky rats.

29. Robofish says:

They could have just used a dog like they did at a pond in Eldersburg. The dog would constantly herd the geese back into the water so they couldn’t get on land and they eventually gave up and left.

• bhr says:

Yeah, and they took over the two nice ponds near me in the next county over. Much like the deer in the part of the state, sometimes culling is needed.

• JennyDB says:

oh yes, cause humans always know best.. cull one species… create imbalance elsewhere we then need to ‘fix’ … we’re constantly “fixing” our environment.. look how great we are at it!

• bhr says:

Well the problem with things like Deer/geese/feral cats is that we’re actually contributing to their rapid growth in small areas.

30. Red Cat Linux says:

Holy crap.

In this area there are companies that patrol protected water areas like that with herding dogs. The dogs run the geese off until they realize that there is no peace for geese there and give up.

No gassing involved.

But before the border collie correction force moved in, there was goose poo everywhere at the waterfront here. Kinda gross just walking around the lake, but I found the behavior of the geese interesting to watch.

31. Weighted Companion Cube says:

I kill my own geese at home!!! no wait…

32. NYGuy1976 says:

Anyone who lives near these geese knows they are dirty and they never leave. Normal birds fly south. Not these ugly dirty things. They stay around all winter scrounging for food because most of them are too fat to fly.

• JennyDB says:

Many people have said these geese are “not normal” they never leave and just scrounge for food all winter. It’s only logical, then, that these are NOT the same geese that are causing problems with the airplanes. Right?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Except that migratory geese look for other geese as they migrate to know where it is safe to land and where there is food.

• SunnyLea says:

Lazy-ass geese. We should gas ‘em just like the homeless!

33. Erika says:

Holy crap, overreacting much, NYC? What’s next? All the dogs in the city because the loose one caused a pile up on the freeway? Geez.

• dolemite says:

China killed 50,000 dogs a few years ago because they had a rabies outbreak. It didn’t matter what type it was. It could be a 3 lb housepet that never went outside. If it was a dog, it was drug outside and beat to death in front of its owners. One reason I boycotted the olympics (among many other things China has to answer for).

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Why would you beat to death an animal that possibly had a disease that could be spread by fluids?

34. JamieSueAustin says:

I’m with others on the trained dog thing… it seems like it would have been a cheaper long term solution to the problem. Geese hang around because people feed them and they have no predators. Change that and there’d be no geese.

35. peggysister says:

Couldn’t they been transplanted elsewhere?

36. Sure I could agree with you, but then we'd BOTH be wrong. says:

So glad I’m no longer a New Yorker.

37. stormbird says:

The development my parents live at has several ponds and dozens of geese that poo in the water and the ground. One of their neighbors bought a pair of swans that, besides being beautiful, harass the geese constantly in the pond near their house. Maybe NYC needs to buy some geese or look at catch-and-release. Send the geese to Jersey.

38. ellemdee says:

That’s horrible. Do they really think this will solve the problem long-term? Geese can fly, you know – more will just show up to take their place (and they already are, according to the article). As someone else mentioned, cutouts of predatory animals can help without causing any harm. People at work actually thought we had a wolf on the roof until someone found out mainenance was using cutouts to scare away the geese from the roof (worked, too). I hate when people go right for the “kill” option without even attempting nonlethal methods first. What a shame.

39. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

At least eat the geese your are killing.

40. JennyDB says:

No matter your opinions on geese (and by the way not all animals exist to please humans), this is best case scenario a horrible waste of resources when there are so many hungry people. IMHO this is pretty tragic, and a poor solution, seeing as geese do fly and obviously there are reasons they are attracted to this area.

41. Skyhawk says:

I wonder why they couldn’t have used them to feed the homeless.
    Seems like they could have made better use of all that food.

42. TC50327 says:

Geese are dirty and mean. I wish they’d put in an airport just so they could do that here.

43. CaptCynic says:

Take off, nuke them from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.

44. TheMonkeyKing says:

Arbeit Macht Fly?

45. Roger Wilco says:

Wouldn’t it be more efficient (and safer) in the long run to redesign the engines to avoid things being sucked in on take off and landing. The Mig-29 has doors that close off the intakes and open vents on top of the wing to avoid debris being sucked into the engines on war-torn runways.

Sure it would cost a lot to design and retro fit but how much is spent on bird eradication at airports around the world?

46. vegwalker says:

Humans don’t do a very good job of sharing the planet. Maybe we’re the infestation, not the geese. Having said that, I agree, wild animals should not be fed by humans.

47. creative differences says:

but, but, but…. they are a gift from canada, *sniff*

48. wellfleet says:

OMG you guys, it was a sendoff on that Matt Damon bit… He’s playing a pilot who says “I don’t hit birds every day” or something to that effect. Y’all need to chill, it was a joke.

49. guspaz says:

So, next time we see an American protesting the seal hunt, we’ll just call them hypocrites.

50. maztec says:

Have a goose problem? Reintroduce the predators that would have ate them. Oops, can’t do that, the predator might eat Fifi!

51. C. Ogle says:

Now the geese have nothing to lose… we’ve created a whole future generation of terrorist geese which will throw themselves willingly into our airline engines to avenge their fallen cousins. It’s going to be Afghanistan all over again… only on American soil… and with Geese.

52. LastError says:

I like animals a lot. I have been known to pick dead cats out of the road and give them a decent burial because the loss of life bothers me.

But I drawn the line at deer, the geese of the forests. They’re cute and all and Bambi, but if you happen to hit one, it might wreck your car if you are lucky, and kill you if you are not lucky. And worse still, if you happen to hit one you might even fling it into oncoming traffic and kill some innocent driver going the other way.

Deer make me want to drive a pickup or SUV with brush bar on the front, autosaws and flamethrowers, and surrounded by reactive armor plating. Because hitting a deer with anything less is really damn dangerous.

And lately I have been doing a lot of driving in deer territory. You might think that means out in the country. Hardly. Thanks to protections and laws against hunting in many counties, the deer have done nothing but multiply and poop and eat and multiply and in-fill suburban areas and even some fairly urban ones. The deer are everywhere and it’s getting worse.

It’s no longer a question of having to go “out in the country” before you encounter them. Now, they’re everywhere.

OK I admit part of my irrational problem with deer is that when I was a child merely thinking about driving someday in the future, my parents hit a deer and utterly destroyed their car. Totaled it. Miles from anywhere Wyoming and long before cellphones, they had to wait hours for another passing car to take them into town. So growing up, I kept hearing this story about how mom had killed Bambi and how Bambi had nearly killed them. Bambi I am not worried about. But trashing my damn car because some stupid forest rat can’t sit still for two extra seconds and let me pass -THAT pisses me off.

Yes I have had a lot of coffee today. :)

53. legolex says:

This is absolutely horrifying. I understand geese are nuisances but they stick around because they have no predators. There are parks that employ people who have trained their hunting dogs (Spaniels etc) to chase these birds away and after so long they don’t come back. It turns out it’s great training for the dogs / owners and it chases the birds off for good. Why can they look into something like that?

54. Zagro says:

Hungry guy wants a goos takes one to eat it gets arested for cruilty.

so lets go kill a metric ton of them insted of moding a jet’s intake .

55. all4jcvette says:

Last I looked they were on the endangered species list, but they every where and don’t seem that endangered to me. But I can’t kill the one that made a nest next too our employee enterance while it attacks anyone that comes in the door because it’s eggs are next to the door in the hedges. However the government can kill them. Seems like a double standard to me.

56. halfcuban says:

The best part about all the responses here are the people complaining about NATURE having ANIMALS in it. Amazing. If you guys want well coiffed nature but a house on a golf course. But then you’ll probably bitch about people hitting balls into your windows.

57. bvita says:

About f**ing time. Humans 1 Birds 0. My ancestors didn’t claw their way to the top of the food chain only to be toppled by some GD snail humper that’s too stupid to reproduce or some other such drivel.

While we’re at it, I’d love to see USAir sue Cupcake (Anne-Katrin Titze) for contributing to the problem that turned their airplane into a raft. Maybe if Ms Twitze hadn’t been feeding the vermin those folks would have made their connections on time.

58. Whuffo says:

It’s so reasonable to eradicate nuisance species like this when they inconvenience us humans. We’ve been doing it for years and we’ve developed some new methods for exterminating them in a clean and hygenic fashion. Gassing them with CO2 – it’s just so civilized.

Of course, there are no “extra” species or populations on the planet – and we’re already starting to miss some of the ones that we pushed into extinction years ago. What’s a few hundred geese in the grand scheme of things, anyway.

One day our chlidren’s chlidren will look back and wish we’d left some of the life on this planet alone.

59. DanGarion says:

What a fucking joke. Maybe they should have looked at the environment impact and moved the approach instead…