Woman Kicked Off Plane For Unruly Behavior, Goes Back To Airport To Be Even More Disruptive

A female passenger on a Southwest Airlines flight threw her name into consideration for Most Aggressively Annoying Person On Earth over the weekend. Not only did she cause her flight to make an unscheduled landing, she later returned to the airport to wreak even more havoc.

The Southwest flight from Orlando to Providence, RI, was diverted to Raleigh-Durham International Airport on Saturday night after an apparently intoxicated passenger got into an argument with a Southwest staffer.

The woman and her family were booted from the flight in Raleigh, but she was not arrested when she deplaned.

Fast forward a couple of hours. The passenger is back at the airport, still apparently intoxicated, and once again throwing verbal barbs at Southwest employees at baggage claim.

This time she was arrested, though not without putting up a struggle, say police.

She has been charged with resisting a public officer and disorderly conduct at an airport terminal.

N.Y. woman charged with disorderly conduct at RDU [WRAL]

Comments

1. apd09 says:

It’s not her fault, the alcohol made her do it, the bar should not have served her as much, her family did not enable her by allowing her to go back to airport, blah blah, blah…

I bet she sues the airport bars that served her.

• Clyde Barrow says:

LOL,,,I was reading Fark.com earlier today and there is a teacher suing her school because she got a sore throat because she has had to raise her voice over the children.

2. Beeker26 says:

When I first saw above that she’s from NY, the first thing I thought was “gotta be from Long Island”. Sho nuff…

3. c!tizen says:

Gotta love the classy people out there.

4. NarcolepticGirl says:

I wonder what happened on the flight.
    The police said she didn’t seem to do anythign criminal – usually officials are pretty ‘by the books’ about arresting/detaining people that “ruin” flights. It couldn’t have been that bad.

Maybe once they realized she was starting to get drunk – they cut her alcohol off and she probably argued with them about it.

5. TailsToo says:

Oh, she was from NY.. that explains it.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Long Island, actually. The rest of us deny its existence.

• Beeker26 says:

Having spent the first 18 years of my life on Long Island I knew that’s where she had to be from.

• thisistobehelpful says:

And yet you guys fight with New Jersey over KEEPING it.

• Beeker26 says:

I’m still praying for an earthquake to break it off at the Nassau border and fling it out into the middle of the Atlantic to sink.

Or at the very least let it get hung up off the Coast of RI or Massachusetts and let it become their problem.

• pantheonoutcast says:

That’s *Staten* Island. That can sink into the sea for all I care. At least eastern Long Island has nice beaches…

• Clyde Barrow says:

When I saw her picture, I figured Detroit.

• bigTrue says:

Nah, people from Detroit proper are pretty polite. Living in a violent place tends to do that to you. Now, go north of 16 Mile Road and that changes. The white people are all “We’re too good for Detroit” types who drive huge SUV’s with soccer parent stickers on em and treat anyone in a service position like shit. Birmingham, Bloomfield and Rochester are the worst. The rest are generally either A) euro ceo types who are stuck up from the get go or B) minority types who “came up” like the Jefferson’s and think everyone should be waiting on them hand and foot because they have money.

I grew up in Rochester and I’ve been moving south ever since. It’s like the more money and further you get from downtown, the more people act like everyone should treat them like royalty when it’s not the case.

6. Segador says:

A few months back, I got to watch two complete asshats get arrested for being extremely hostile to the gate crew for Frontier Airlines.

Shortly after takeoff, a loud “THUMP” was heard in the cabin, and the plane listed to the left for just a second. Our plane had hit a flock of birds, resulting in the loss of one engine and requiring our return to the airport.

The pilots were totally professional, explaining immediately over the intercom what had ust happened, that we had lost the use of one engine, but that the other engine was fine. They said that we were returning to the ground ASAP, and that they had no idea when we would be re-booked on new flights. Many people were panicked, but the calm and cool displayed by the pilots and flight crew did a ton to help calm people.

Back on the ground, we looked out at the plane, we could see that the left engine had definately sustained bird strike(feathers/gore), and it looked like it might have been on fire as well. Most of us were just thankful that the pilots had managed to get us safely back on the ground. Not this classy couple. They demanded to be upgraded, and to have a new flight immediatley, and other absolutely ridiculous requests. At one point, they were threatening to call their lawyer, and they started threatening the crew directly. They were hostile to the girls at the gate to the point where one was crying and the other wouldn’t deal with them at all.

The best part was, after the police cuffed them and they were sitting against a pillar at the airport, the regional manager for Frontier (who had been called in when things escalated) told them that they were being put on a no-fly list for Frontier, and that he;d do his best to make sure that they never flew with Frontier or their partner airlines again.

It was beautiful.

• El_Fez says:

How they made it off the plane without getting punched in the face. . .

• Clyde Barrow says:

Now this is what companies ought to be doing all the time and that is getting rid of the bad customers instead of saying “I’m sorry” and “I’ll make it right no matter what”. I would think a company would get more responsible customers knowing that these numnuts will never fly on Frontier again.

Frontier, you’ll get my business.

• Beeker26 says:

Ahhh, stories like this warm the cockles of my old, thrice-jaded heart…

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I think I would be happy to be alive and immediately call my wife when we landed. Worrying about re-booking would be the last thing on my mind.

• caradrake says:

Maybe they were afraid the Langoliers would get them.

• Putaro says:

I think it’s great when asshat customers get this treatment. I wish it would happen to company employees who are out of control and TSA agents overstepping their authority.

• failurate says:

I don’t ever want to hear a pilot say we are returning to the ground ASAP.

7. AntiNorm says:

Now if only they would start booting people off of planes for having screaming kids, and for reclining into my knees.

• Beeker26 says:

I get so fed up with people who just slam their seats back into my knees. One time I finally had enough (I wasn’t in so great a mood to begin with) that I decided to push back. The woman in front of me went flying into the seat in front of her. She turned around all irate and I just smiled, shrugged, and said “oops”.

I still push back when someone clobbers my knees, tho I try not to push too hard anymore. Just enough to get my point across pretty clearly.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I do it too; push back, I mean. I don’t want people reclining into my space. However since I haven’t flown in 3 years it’s not like I’m terrorizing the skies by pushing people’s seat backs into an upright position. But I admit I’ve done it before…and jammed my knees into the seat so they can’t recline it again. Yup, I’m one of those assholes.

• e065702 says:

Travelling on an aircraft is a group activity requiring dynamic, fluid cooperation between various sub-groups.
          From the tone of your messagte it is best for all if you continue your “no-fly” policy.

• Marshmelly says:

and how is the person slamming back their seat into recline on someone’s knees “cooperating” either? They’re maximizing their space while limiting another’s. I’m glad this guy pushed back. Although I also don’t understand the purpose of reclining seats anyway…they don’t feel anymore comfortable to me than a regularly positioned seat and, more-so, I would feel terrible to have someone behind me having to endure less space because of me.

• humperdinck says:

So it’s inconsiderate to recline now?

• FangDoc says:

It is when you throw my laptop into my chest with no warning! At least ask the person behind you if you can recline. If she’s working on a laptop on a noontime flight, respect it!
          Although, only serious ‘bags and ‘baguettes would stop you from reclining on a redeye.

• MarsVolta187 says:

I’m 6’3″, and I travel very often for business. The worst feeling in the world is having some 5’6″ person recline to the max for 4 hours on a 5pm flight.

• Beeker26 says:

No, but it depends on how you do it. A considerate person would either ask or at least look behind them to see if there is room to recline, and then slowly move the seat back. I’m talking about people who without any warning slam the seat back as hard and fast as they can without any consideration for who or what’s behind them.

• jenjenjen says:

Sometimes it reclines a lot faster than you expect it to. Hanlon’s razor is a useful thing: don’t attribute to malice what can be explained by mere stupidity. Or in this case, unfamiliarity with the seat hydraulics on this particular airplane.

8. rpm773 says:

In her defense, once back at the airport she may have been provoked further into outrageous behavior by the other passengers in the terminal.

I know that when I see people like that, I really like to push their buttons.

9. TheMonkeyKing says:

Great. Another yankee dumped in my town. Thanks.

10. Ilo says:

Some cop in Raliegh-Durham is thinking “Why oh why did you dump this on us, Southwest? This was none of our business until you swooped down and plopped this lady on our doorstep.”

11. sanjaysrik says:

Ah, NY, you make me proud.

12. vastrightwing says:

Q: can this woman be put on a No-fly list for being a terrorist?

• Hoot says:

She’s not a terrorist? I mean, the woman is a crazy sack of potatoes with no restraint or common sense but hardly a terrorist. So I would hope they’d save that list for real people who might be terrorists, instead of inconveniencing all the 8 year old kids with her name who try to get on a flight.

I would liken it to any business where if your behavior is inappropriate or illegal, you can be banned from their private property premises.

13. kataisa says:

Stay classy, Longuyland.

14. smo0 says:

I’m pretty crass when I see outraged customers over crap like this – especially when I see employees doing their best to remedy the situation. I have patience for people doing their job and trying to make things right (I have zero patience for stupid people, however) but when they are branded with the “customer is always right” tattoo – I like to step it and say what they’d love to say.

15. jimstoic says:

This would never have happened during Prohibition.

16. frak says:

I hope SWA bills her for the extra fuel, landing fees, extra salaries, and the time of everyone on board.

17. Atsumi says:

If someone is disruptive enough to make them LAND A FREAKIN’ PLANE, shouldn’t an arrest be immediate?

18. JulesNoctambule says:

My cousin was telling me about this last night! He works at the Wake county courthouse and always has great stories about the crazy things people do that get them arrested.

19. aboxoflogic says:

For the guy who was “sho” (sure) that she was from Long Island – I was sure she was from Miami. Same thing though right?

20. ElizabethD says:

Thank you for preventing this woman from landing at my airport (PVD). We already have enough drunken idiots in Rhode Island as it is.

21. veg-o-matic says:

Oh god WHY isn’t that Airline show still on A&E????

This is too perfect.

22. halfcuban says:

It always amazes me how little people are able to hold their liquor when you essentially have to sit in a seat and do NOTHING. I’ve gotten absolutely soused in the airline lounge before boarding a 12 hour flight from Japan to Detroit, and no one was the wiser. And I kept drinking while onboard the plane, courtesy of my first class upgrade.