Save Money On Dental Care: Go To Mexico

It costs a lot of money to go to the dentist. And with many Americans lacking dental coverage, getting your teeth taken care of is often cost-prohibitive. But a handful of entrepreneurial dentists in Mexico have stepped up to the plate, offering discount dentistry to a growing U.S. customer base.

For example, the average price of getting a porcelain crown on a tooth in the U.S. is around $945. But patients at DentiCenter, a chain of dental offices sprouting up in border towns from California to Texas, pay only $250.

DentiCenter, whose patient list is 97% U.S. citizens, was founded in 1991 by a Mexican-born, USC-trained periodontist. And as the U.S. economy headed south in recent years, more and more patients have headed south of the border for dental care.

“The recession definitely helped, because people needed to save money, and the spread the word about us,” says DentiCenter’s founder.

According to the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions research group, “dental tourism” is increasing about 20% a year. And the patients heading to Mexico for discount dentistry aren’t necessarily poor.

Says the Deloittee Center’s exec. director:

These are not the underserved… These are people whose out-of-pocket expenses hit their discretionary spending very, very hard. They are trying to juggle health care costs with groceries, transportation and housing.

And DentiCenter isn’t just a cash-only operation. The chain has also been certified as an in-network provider for Delta Dental and Aetna.

On average, the 38 dentists employed by DentiCenter earn only around 1/3 of the approximately $200K/year their counterparts in the U.S. make.

But will the eventual rebound from the recession mean the end of dental tourism? Doubtful, says the man from the Deloitte Center:

I don’t think this is going to end with the end of the recession… The cost of healthcare is becoming a major problem in every household. This is a trend, not a fad.

For cut-rate dental care, head to Mexico [CNN]

Comments

1. JoeDawson says:

Thats all well and good for those who live on the border… it would cost me a lot to get there

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Very–even more if you have to have a procedure that requires several visits.

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Most dental procedures, even multi-step ones, can be completed in one (quite long) office visit.

As for the cost: even with the cost of a super-saver fare to say, San Diego (the most accessible border town for most people), and a stay at an inexpensive hotel, the cost of braces, multiple tooth veneers, or complex orthodontic work will save hundreds if not a thousand or two vs. US prices.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

The six months it would take for my implant sockets to embed can’t really be compressed. Of course, drinking tequila for six months may make it so I only remember a week…

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Um. It took me something like three months for my root canal and crown to be completed. It required some serious reconstructive work, and my mouth and gums had to have time to heal between sessions. Some procedures CAN be completed in one extra long visit, or over the course of a few day within one week, but there are others where healing time is necessary between stages of treatment.

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Which is where I came up with, “*most* dental procedures…”

• OnePumpChump says:

For a cleaning or one or two fillings, it probably doesn’t make sense. For a mouth full of metal, you could be flying from Alaska and still come out way ahead.

2. Tim says:

Why is it in Mexico?

I see no reason for them to not be in the U.S., unless they aren’t licensed, don’t want to pay malpractice insurance or in some other way wouldn’t be legal in the U.S.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Because presumably the dentists who work there are Mexican, and therefore, can be paid less than the average American dentist, keeping the costs down.

I’d love to know what the malpractice laws in Mexico were like, however.

• sonneillon says:

If you screw up their teeth. You hire out the local drug lord to send Chavez the brick to mess up the Dentist’s teeth.

• TouchMyMonkey says:

This is why my wife went to Hungary to get her implants done. Hungary is a member of the EU, and the dentist she went to was approved by the German national health insurance people – you know, the ones who don’t stand to make a profit by sending people out of the country for dental work.

• ChuckECheese says:

They’re in Mexico because they’re Mexican.

• econobiker says:

Hospitals etc offshore medical transcription to India to avoid paying $15hr or 10¢ per line versus paying $15day or 3¢ per line.

Economics.

3. veronykah says:

If you have a college near you with a dentistry program that is also a great place to get lower cost dental work.
    I’ve been going to my student dentist for a year, getting a gold crown for about $500 last winter. The work takes longer but is overseen by at least 1, usually more, actual dentists and specialists who are extremely experienced in their own private practices.

• ElizabethD says:

This is also true for routine checkups with cleanings: If you have a community college or other postsecondary school with an accredited dental hygienist program, you can get a cleaning and x-rays for as little as $10. You may be on a waiting list, but it’s definitely worth getting on that list! All the student hygienists are supervised by experienced hygienest/instructors.

4. ChuckECheese says:

I go to Los Algodones MX a few times a year for various medical-tourism related things, including routine dental care. I was there just last weekend. Cheap smokes and tequila too. My dentist here in Mesa AZ has pamphlets in his waiting room warning of the dangers of Mexican dentistry. I tell him he needs scary pictures to go with the warnings about hepatitis and hiv. Why are US medical practitioners so totally overpaid? That’s the primary problem with the medical industry – people who work in it feel that they deserve to be paid at least twice to ten times what anybody else makes, which means there’s an inherent economic unbalance in the system.
    It’s fun to stand in line at the buffet at Quechan Casino Resort, just up the road from Algodones, and look for people who have new, fresh, square, bright white caps on their teeth, like a mouthful of Chiclets.

• Coelacanth says:

When your tuition costs more than a mortgage on a modest house in the suburbs (this is excluding undergraduate studies!), it becomes pretty clear why medical practicioners charge what they do in the US.

Would you want to be paying $200k in student loans for grad school forever? I wouldn’t…

• bandit says:

Agreed. The student loans for med/dental school are exorbitant. Also, people say, “well, gardeners and contractors and blue collar workers have years of experience like doctors!” True, but a landscaper doesn’t get a call at 2:00 am because a 2 year old’s heart has stopped working. They aren’t responsible for the life of a child. They don’t have encyclopedic knowledge of medicines that can heal you, and if they make a mistake, they won’t permanently maim or scar you (your yard, on the other hand, may see some damage).

• econobiker says:

“people who work in it feel that they deserve to be paid at least twice to ten times what anybody else
      makes”

Much like the legal profession, this industry is extremely resistance to off shoring since it provides a point of service. Versus every other industry (electronics, casting, textiles, for instance) which has shipped out years ago to the lowest paid region or country.

• saveourthriftysouls says:

Los Algodones rocks! Spent four days at a clinic there last year and saved over $2,000 on my root canal, gum surgery and new crown. Total cost of my trip (including airfare, rental car and motel) was less than a thousand.

5. davegins says:

Even though a crown is not as serious as bariatric surgery, do you really want to trust any aspect of your health care to these guys? Instead why not try student work from a dental school. At least you can use the American legal system is something catastrophic happens.

• ChuckECheese says:

In most cities, it’s impossible to get an appointment at a dental school. Or it takes half of your life to complete all the appointments they make you go to. We need a public option.

• wrongfrequently says:

In Peurto Vallarta there are tons on American and Canadian ex-pats and there has long been a booming business in serving their medical needs, I personally know many many older couples who live part-time in PV and they have had many medical procedures both emergency and routine all with good results.

• veg-o-matic says:

Not all Mexicans are incompetent at everything.

6. wrongfrequently says:

I’m getting a broken tooth fixed in Mexico on my vacation. I’ll also be stocking up on migraine meds $25 for 5 pills VS $20+ per pill here.

I have ZERO shame about where and how I get healthcare anymore.

• ChuckECheese says:

I agree. I can get my teeth cleaned and examined for $25 to $40. I haven’t needed work, but I know you can get a mouthful of porcelain Chiclets for about $600. I would be worried about complicated stuff unless I carefully researched the place. You might go in for a hair transplant and come home with a sombrero stuffed full of drugs stitched to your scalp.

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

200k/year? Yeah, I can see why it’s so expensive.

• Monoplex says:

$200,000 is the salary for someone who’s gone through 8+ years of school and possibly two more years of residency graduated with six figures worth of debt, and been practicing for a decade. That is, IMHO, in no way being overpaid.

• ChuckECheese says:

Yawn argument. Lots of people go through years of education and training to do their jobs. These people also have big education expenses, and they don’t get $200K/year or even half that. The reasons docs get the big bucks is because the medical complex preys upon people’s fears of being sick and infirm, and because the industry works very hard to protect its financial interests, and because, unlike most business models, medicine never discloses its costs or real expenses to the public – it’s always somewhat a mystery what you’re gonna pay. Unless you go to MX, of course.

• Traveshamockery says:

So why are the costs so high in America? Salary is certainly one component, but have we stopped to ask what all those reasons are, or why salaries need to be so high (such as the prohibitively high cost of education)?

• Beeker26 says:

Many doctors will claim it’s due to exorbitant malpractice insurance. But this doesn’t stop them from driving Jaguars and living in palatial houses, so your guess is as good as mine.

• bandit says:

Do you know any doctors? Any? My father, a doctor, drove a 20 year old car until it finally gave up the ghost. Many doctors in our area live modestly.

On the other hand, the personal injury attorney down the road has a pool, three story house with a wraparound porch and turrets, trampoline, wrought iron fence, and four new cars.

• myrna_minkoff says:

I know several. They do indeed live like kings. The one with the smallest house paid $600k for it. He leases a new Mercedes. Every year. His wife is a SAHM with a gardener, a nanny and a maid. She does not cook. She gets things catered.

• pantheonoutcast says:

“it’s always somewhat a mystery what you’re gonna pay. Unless you go to MX, of course. “

Yeah. Then it’s a mystery if you’re going to get back home without dysentery.

• Monoplex says:

Far more people have the basic skillset to be tradespeople than to be dentists. While not discounting the math involved in many trades, it’s not molecular biochemisty.

Tradespeople are also able, if I’m not mistaken, to earn money as they’re learning their skill. Dentists are not only spending huge amounts of money on education, they also not earning any money to speak during that period.

If being a dentist was easy, more people would go into the field and salaries would drop.

• shepd says:

Co-op education. And, to boot, dentists usually work at university clinics, so yes, they get paid while working (or they’re volunteering, I don’ t know how that bit works, but I do know about co-op placements). And the co-op placements pay far better than first/second year apprenticeships, and they don’t require you to buy thousands of dollars in tools.

• shepd says:

Apart from the debt and the type of schooling, that strongly describes a tradesman that knows 2 or more trades.

And they don’t get $200k.

• Draygonia says:

Yes, and construction workers who are skilled at their trade and work for 50 years don’t get that much. As far as I see it, they are highly overpaid. I would say no more than 100k. The government does not pay their dentists that much, neither should the private sector.

8. JacobRoss97 says:

I’m gonna bite. That pic of the kitten is OMG cute!

This is coming from a guy btw.

9. pantheonoutcast says:

From the article:

“A Big Brother-like panel of television screens adorns the wall of his office, each showing different, live views of exam rooms in all six DentiCenter offices, so Eng can keep an eye on things from afar.”

Wait, why? Trust issues? That doesn’t exactly instill me with confidence, the fact that his dentists need to be constantly monitored…

• ChuckECheese says:

So he’s a Mexican control freak. Good for him. These places must maintain the highest reputation – a few bad reports will sink him, and he knows it. So what if he’s got denti-cam? You can wave at the cam and say hi to El Jefe next time you’re in the clinic.

10. JuliB says:

I’m planning on taking my sister to Costa Rica for dental work after MUCH resource.

• JuliB says:

I meant research, not resource. She needs over 12 K worth of work, and as a limit of 1K per year of coverage. It will be a lot less down there…

• myrna_minkoff says:

I’ve been looking into this as well. I need three implants, which are going to run me about $20k here. And I have insurance — it just doesn’t cover anything.

• wrongfrequently says:

yeah and wouldn’t you rather spend 3k or much less AND have a vacation with that 20K, I know I would.

• myrna_minkoff says:

Exactly. Even if I have to do it in two trips, it’ll probably still save me money.

11. Snoofin says:

Sorry but I’m not going to a third world country where doctors and dentists get a half assed education to get my health issues taken care of. Ill pay for quality care here int he US. I guess people aren’t willing to pay extra for quality anything anymore. These are probably the same people who buy cheap electronics and appliances and then complain when they break 2 days after the 1 year warranty

• evnmorlo says:

The majority of dentists are half-assed. Might as well pay less.

• veg-o-matic says:

So USC is half-assed for you, yes?
      Because the center described in the article was founded by a USC grad.

Also, do tell us of your extensive familiarity with the Mexican system of dental and medical training.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Yeah the founding dentist went to USC. Where did his staff go to school? Correspondence course? Adult learning annex? Tijuana Upstairs Medical College? As long as the people he hired have the same or better level of education, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Oh, wait, anyone else who went to USC is either going to open their own clinic or work here in the US for a much better salary.

• Snoofin says:

In addition to that what are the quality control standards for sterile tools. How old are the tools? I doubt they are using the same modern equipment that my dentist uses. How clean are the rooms? and lastly do you get a free toothbrush when you go home?

• PineRoot says:

It’s quality care if you are careful, although, I can see instances where you aren’t able to do so. I go to MX for vacation every summer(and am able to ask around for feedback on a doctor), and just do my dental work down there, it’s cheaper and it as always turned out well. A coworker of mine goes to Peru for his dental work and eye exams; he has always been satisfied, both of us do it since we are there often enough that staying an extra couple of days to get the work done is worth it.
      Also, does Mexico really count as a third world country anymore? I thought it was a developing country or in the process of moving to the developed status.

• Jeff-er-ee says:

Dental and health care in Thailand is on par with what the majority of Americans get…for about 20% of the cost (and my insurance company will reimburse me for medical expenses there, although I have to front the money). Many of the health professionals are American trained, although I gather that the training that they receive there is also well respected (I can’t personally vouch there).

Many Americans have the preconception that if it’s not in America, it’s 2nd rate. The truth is that much (NOT all) of American healthcare has become 2nd rate, and we’re still paying through the nose for it. Check out http://www.bumrungrad.com/ . Bumrungrad is probably THE most expensive hospital in Thailand, and is still a fraction of the cost of care in the US. That’s just one example. Definitely worth checking out.

• BigBadRAM says:

Have you ever been to Mexico for medical care?
      The 11th ranked economy in the world… 11th… out of 200+!!
      This mentality that if it isn’t from the US, or expensive, it isn’t any good, really annoys me.

I’m lucky enough to live in a border town so I have easy access to quality care at a reasonable price. Here in The States, I see the doctor for about 5-10 minutes tops. In Mexico, the doctor takes my vitals, my medical history, and doesn’t rush the process. He will explain what is wrong, how I got sick, and exactly what I have to do to get better. At times I have spent a whole hour with the doctor.

Yes, the co-pay with my medical insurance is less expensive, but I’m happy to pay a little more to get quality health care.

12. econobiker says:

Hey, our (oh so private) medical records are already being transcribed by Indians so why not cut out the middle man and go right there…

And US hospitals get around the offshoring of medical records by terms like “approved subcontractors) etc in the HIPAA or liability forms you have sign off on to get treatment.

13. GrymOne says:

Surprised DrRonster is not on this thread flapping about his 1k upper plates.

Again.. I call for an Investigation on how some dental practices seriously rip off the consumer.

14. TouchMyMonkey says:

And soon to be the only in-network provider in some areas.

15. Vinasu says:

My husband needed extensive dental work. The estimate by a dentist in Las Cruces, New Mexico was more than $3000. We were both students at the time with no insurance. We went to the Washington Dental Clinic in Juarez.

We parked in El Paso and they drove us across the border in a van. We sat in the waiting room while a receptionist served refreshments (oreos and cokes–obviously drumming up future business for themselves). They did all the work in a marathon session and then drove us back across the border. Total cost was almost $500. Nearly ten years later, my husband has had no problems with any of the work that was done.

Even if we had had to pay for airfare if would have been worthwhile.

• Vinasu says:

I should add, my sister also had lasik surgery done in Juarez by an American doctor. He keeps an office in El Paso, but does all of his surgeries in Juarez because the overhead is so much cheaper. That was 7 years ago. Her vision is still good.

There is nothing wrong with going to Mexico if you are seeing a decent doctor.

• Monoplex says:

Consider this: There’s a shortage of dentists in the U.S. with dental schools shutting down and older dentists retiring. This is at the very same time aging boomers are needing more and more dental work.

If a Mexican dentist could meet the standards required to practice in the U.S., don’t you think he or she would have?

• Jeff-er-ee says:

Why? Because of COURSE everyone wants to live in the US?

No arrogance in that statement at all, is there?

• Monoplex says:

No U.S.-centric arrogance at all. Just the economic reality of having the potential to make a six-figure income on this side of the border. Don’t try to twist it.

• Thespian says:

Oh, please. If the U.S. suddenly announced, “Hey, immediate citizenship for anyone who wants it,” the populations of many, many of the world’s other nations would empty in short order.

• suedehead4 says:

Um, because you can’t just move to the US if you feel like it, or to other countries, for that matter. There are these things called immigration laws. And I doubt a dentist could do it illegally, given the licensing/legal requirements to practice in the US–hard to slip under the radar.

16. tml4gre says:

I would have serious doubts as to the quality of the work. Sure, there may be stories of never having problems with work done in Mexico (and just because something doesn’t hurt, doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem…but that’s another thing) but there is much less oversight and regulation of dentists in Mexico than in the US. Not only that, but what about their training? Just because the founder of the business was trained in the US does not mean all the dentists in the company are. Getting work done in Mexico is putting yourself at a very high risk of complications.

17. polizzi82 says:

I worked in a Pathology Lab in San Diego and we’d get the occasional “Mexico Dental Work” patient who’s jaw got infected with Necrotizing Fasciitis (Flesh eating bacteria) or MRSA. Not too far from your brain to be skimping on proper care and surgery. Usually they chase the diseases by taking chunks of face and bone out before either leaving the patient faceless or lifeless.

18. Monoplex says:

There are plenty of Dentists on the U.S. side of the border who make a damn fine living fixing Mexican dental work. I promise you fixing the work is usually vastly more expensive than having it done right in the first place.

But hey, it’s your head.

19. ash says:

I had LASIK done in Peru for 1/4 of the cost that it would have cost me in the US ($900 vs $4500). If I had to get lots of expensive dental work, there’s no question that I’d be going abroad to do so. It’s just too expensive here.

• Mewf says:

I was panicking thinking I was going to go blind when I had it done in the US, I couldn’t imagine doing it in Peru…I don’t care how much I would save…just not worth the risk to me. I ended up paying 3k after my health insurance discount.

btw…I went from 20/200 vision to 20/12, awesome and totally worth the 3k.

20. Alberto says:

Oh my god people, stop believing that ALL Mexico is as horrible as the border towns!

I currently work as a teacher in Austin and go back and forth between Texas and my hometown Monterrey.

I have to tell you that since I only have health care plan in the U.S but dental is NOT covered.

I come during american holidays and make an appointment and deal with ALL my dental needs here in Monterrey with no issues, affordable and simple.

Even though I find amusing and funny how american media portraits Mexico as being like 40 years behind in technology, trust me, that is not the case.

Is as if I go to the dirtiest slum( I won’t mention any names) in the U.S and take for granted that the rest of the country is the same.

From wikipedia:

Monterrey has some fine hospitals,[35] including three with Joint Commission accreditation -[36] the Joint Commission is a private healthcare accreditation group.

Monterrey has healthcare standards above the average for Mexico

Its convenient location, low prices and quality of medical care have made of Monterrey a very popular medical tourism destination for United States patients.

I would gladly give you any information you request if it helps you take that horrible(yet amusing) idea of how this country is.

• Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

Thanks, and please excuse the fact that some of my countrymen here in the US live their lives as frightened veal calves with a serious case of NIH (“Not Invented Here”) Syndrome, and the only border they have crossed being their run for Taco Bell.

21. Mewf says:

When I was young, my father took me to the Philippines for dental care. I’m not from the Philippines nor is my father nor any other family member, my father just wanted to go there because we didn’t have health insurance and he wanted a vacation. I would never do this as an adult nor would I ever do this to my kids…there is a reason it only costs $2…and my teeth cringe at the thought of it.

22. LACubsFan says:

Anyone getting dental work done in Mexico is taking a HUGE risk. I used to work in the dental field and I’ve seen the horror stories. I’ve seen the metal bits left inside drilled out teeth, I’ve seen swelling that would make the elephant man run in horror. They don’t have the standards we have here for “dental school”, for cleaning and sanitation of instruments, and they are not under OSHA guidelines.

Good luck!

23. yankinwaoz says:

Last month I walked over the border at Nogales and had my teeth cleaned and xray examined for $40 cash. No appointment, I just walked over to the street where all the doctors and dentists are and walked into one. The dentist herself didn’t speak any English, but her assistant spoke perfect English.

Teeth are teeth all around the world. I don’t see any problem with routine care being done down there. I’d give it a miss if it were surgery and there was more risk.

24. BETH says:

People who need $10,000 to $20,000 worth of dental work haven’t been to the dentist in years. It’s their own fault. Brush and floss daily and see the dentist twice a year, and you won’t be stuck with astronomical dental bills. Regular dental visits for cleaning and exam are not expensive and will prevent trouble down the road.

25. energynotsaved says:

I know a lot of people go to Nicaragua, too. I met a minister last year who spent a couple hundred in Nicaragua but would have spent (I think) $7,500+ in the US. Even with airfare, etc., he saved a bundle. As it is, I’m headed to the dentist for the first time in a long time. The visit is a near emergency. The last time I was there, I was told it would be $3,000+ to fix what needed to be repaired. I’m planning another mission visit to Nicaragua in December. If it is bad, maybe I’ll go earlier or stay later and see the dentist….

26. HogwartsProfessor says:

If I lived closer, I would probably try it out. I lost a tooth from a cavity that got so bad the tooth broke because I was unemployed and could not afford to get it fixed. I tried all the low-income clinics and places around here but they told me they would not help me–they would only pull the tooth. They literally would NOT fix a cavity. So the lower cost options aren’t always better in the US. I expected better but apparently that’s just too much work.

The root was all funky inside my jaw, so an oral surgeon had to take the broken tooth out anyway. Lucky it didn’t break until I got a job and my insurance kicked in. I just don’t get why the clinic couldn’t put in a filling. Stupid.

• tml4gre says:

Not all cavities can be filled. Sometimes, if the cavity has enlarged to a certain point the tooth is not fillable and must be extracted. Putting fillings in teeth like that is just asking for trouble down the road.

27. pot_roast says:

I always thought that we should have tested the single payer waters with dental care. Have a nationwide plan that people can buy into. $10/mo for an individual to start. Free annual cleanings, $250 yearly deductible, and you pay 10% of major stuff.

Start there and see how well it works. Delta Dental seems to be doing ok…

28. banmojo says:

many of the US citizens going abroad for dental/health care aren’t doing so because they WANT to, they HAVE to or else they can’t afford to have that crown put on to save their tooth. Let’s not forget the main forces driving healthcare UP in the USA is NOT doctor’s/dentist’s salaries, but rather the extra costs – licencing, malpractice, increasing costs of supplies, meds, etc. Not to mention the insurance companies are screwing us royally, and will continue to as long as both Dems/Repub polly’s keep taking their special interest money. Legalized corruption of the grossest sort. Citizens WAKE UP NOW AND TAKE CONTROL BACK OF THIS ONCE GREAT COUNTRY PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WAKE UP NOW BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!!!

29. Bagumpity says:

Aren’t they offing each other like Kilkenny Cats down there? I keep reading stories about how it’s unsafe to be within a gazillion miles of the border due to all the drug lords’ feuds.

30. ReverendTed says:

As a dentist, I can tell you that dentistry doesn’t have to be expensive. Prevention is the key, and it all comes down to diet and hygiene. Cut down on the frequency of sugar intake, brush twice a day and floss once a day, and for most folks that’s all it takes. (Outside of tooth grindingjoint problems, which are a whole other ball of wax, and accidents.)

31. Raxan says:

My experiences with dentistry in Los Algodones have been very positive. I fall into a group that is fairly well off but don’t see the need to shell out thousands of extra dollars needlessly. There are some tips to observe, but the quality of work done equals or actually exceeds (usually exceeds) what I have experienced with U.S. dentists. Also even though the offices are modest (who needs to pay for fancy offices) the technology is very good. My US dentist lagged on digital xray technology behind my Mexican dentist by about a year.

Dentistry is primarily a mechanical skill requiring manual dexterity plus the training of course, Mexicans excel at this. And many if not most Mexican dentists along the border are trained in the US. I am now helping my Nephew and Niece who need an enormous amount of dental work costing at least $60,000 in the US but will cost me approx. $16,000 in Mexico. Los Algodones has a very large parking lot on the U.S. side of the border where you will see buses parking as well as cars that come from a distance because it is worth it. You simply park there and walk across the border which is safe and secured in the Yuma sector. I stay at the Quechan Casino resort as it is the only place on the US side close to the border.

Entering Los Algodones you do need to be careful as there are a lot of hawkers selling dental services and I don’t know their quality. I use a dental clinic owned by a woman who has been in the business for 26 years. They have regular dentists and also periodontists, surgeons, and implant specialists whom they share with other clinics. The service is very professionally handled. There are other dental clinics with similar situations and I am not going to plug any one of them. You can find more info on BBs and websites for Los Algodones, or other border cities. I have no qualms about using the Mexican dental clinic and have met many Americans who have used the service for many, many years. Also keep in mind that some who post here negatively may have a connection to US dentistry

32. Catpause says:

In my youth I visited Mexico for surf, tequila, and señoritas. Now I have to go there for affordable heath care. Viva la Mexico! Now, where can I get affordable maple syrup?