Personal Finance Roundup

10 thrifty ingredients to improve your meals [Smart Spending] “Affordable, healthy meals need not be boring and bland.”

21 Web Sites for Finding Deals Online [Kiplinger] “We’ve tested and picked 21 Web sites we think are easy to use and will help you save money all year.”

4 More Ways to Save on Maternity Clothes [Wise Bread] “Here are four clever tips you may not have known about!”

I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Sign Here [Wall Street Journal] “Move over, heirs and heiresses: Baby boomers are flocking to sign prenuptial agreements, too.”

Nine Tactics That Work for Starting Food Preparation at Home [The Simple Dollar] “Making food at home isn’t the hard chore that many people make it out to be.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

Comments

1. FatLynn says:

I find the last article to contain some of the worst advice I’ve ever read. It is much easier to stock your kitchen with staples and then buy whatever meat and veggies look good/cost little when you get to the grocery store than to do it the other way around.

• PunditGuy says:

The emphasis on recipes is misplaced as well. Learn a few cooking techniques. Once you’ve got those under your belt, recipes are almost irrelevant.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I agree. Chicken is chicken. Once you realize that chicken doesn’t always have to be prepared the exact same way every time, you can be free to go nuts with sauces and marinades and whatnot.

We don’t really have a problem like the Simple Dollar woman does, since my husband totally knows making our own dinner is cheaper, but I personally calculate the cost of the entire meal, throwing in a few cents for spices. Then I tell my husband – the fact that we can both have top notch steak for the price of eating ONE steak in a restaurant is clear evidence that eating at home is cheaper.

I think she needs to start calculating costs and telling her fiancee at every meal how much everything cost. Money talks.

Also, if he’s convinced that eating out is cheaper – well, he’s an idiot.

• FatLynn says:

Lol, I like the last bit. I’ve convinced my better half that if we cut out the mid-week fast food runs, we can then afford the really fancy steak from Whole Foods.

• Rachacha says:

We use a service called “Let’s Dish” (similar to other services around the country). The concept is simple, they select a monthly menu that participants can choose from. Participants then go to the shop, and assemble the meals in ziploc bags in portions that suit the individual family. You simply place the bags in the freezer when you get home and you have meals that are usually ready to eat in 30 minutes or less with little or no fuss. There is a slight premium over the cost if you were to go to the store and purchase all of the raw ingredients yourself, but it is nuce because you don’t need to purchase that container ot dried mustard, onion soup and bread crumbs to make a meal, they have done it all for you.

For our family of 4, we get 24 meals for $250, and the result is a variety of meals and new recipies that are easy to prepare so we go out to eat less often.

• kalaratri says:

Easier, yes. But cheaper at the start, no. Right now the lady is trying to prove that it’s cheaper to eat at home so having a huge starting cost would make her fiance think he was right.

2. NarcolepticGirl says:

“21 Web Sites for Finding Deals Online”

Some of the sites listed kinda blow.

Example: Dealio.com – I just checked it out and entered in a few products to compare and it came up with horrible results. Better off using Google Shopping instead of thats site.

3. DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

That “10 Thrifty Ingredients” list is mistitled, in my opinion. Those are all fairly expensive ingredients, that, used sparingly, could improve the flavor of cheap ingredients. I wouldn’t call good cheese, fresh herbs, wine, etc. thrifty.