Passport Fees Rising On July 13

passportfees

(hjl)

If you have apply or renew passport on your to-do list, better put it on your “done” list this week if you want to save money. Starting July 13, new higher passport fees go into effect.

Type of Passport | Old Fee | New Fee
Passport Book – adult | $100.00 | $135.00
Passport Book – minor | $85.00 | $ 105.00
Passport Book Renewal – Adult | $ 75.00 | $110.00
Passport Card – Adult | $45.00 | $55.00
Passport Card – Child | $35.00 | $40.00

The new fees are to pay for things like increased security measures and more than doubling the number of passport facilities. Unfortunately it will mean less coin for delicious authentic churros.

Here’s where you can go to apply or renew a passport. And if you find yourself needing a passport faster than the normal amount of time, check out “How To Get A Passport Fast.

New Consular Fees in Effect on July 13, 2010 [Travel.State.Gov via LAT] (Thanks to Vergel!)

Comments

1. Southern says:

You missed the best part – it’ll now cost you $450 to renounce your US Citizenship. :-)

2. montusama says:

Damn…I want to get a passport but I’m still broke…guess I’ll be paying the new fee. Though I guess 35 dollar increase isn’t THAT bad.

• teh says:

You should absolutely get a passport — you’ll find a use for it in the future and be happy that you didn’t have to pay the rush fee.

3. tootberg@spam.la says:

Took me exactly 7 days to get my passport last week, and that includes transit time from the post office to the US State Dept. and from them to my house. They were giving me a 4-6 week estimate on turnaround. Weird.

• shadowsystem says:

when they get really busy it takes 4-6 weeks so long as they don’t get flooded (which ironically is usually this time of year) its usually 2-3 weeks … they must be playing it safe after getting pounded by congress in 2007 when it was taking them 8-10 weeks because of a serious influx.

• Aresef says:

I got my passport in late 2007, after the Western Hemisphere Travel Initative rush died down. They said 4-6 weeks for me too. Took 4-6 days.

• rlee says:

Weird. I just got mine the other day, 2.5 weeks after submitting the paperwork. As for the “added security”, I doubt it — looks like it still has an RFID chip.

I agree that the old rates were already pretty obscene.

• tofupuppy says:

Just got mine in 10 days door-to-door, paying out the nose for overnight shipping to the passport agency ($18) and expedited service ($60) on top of the $100 renewal fee.

• cowboyesfan says:

You can go in person and get your passport while you wait. Of course, there is an additional fee for this.

4. Yankees368 says:

I still don’t understand why the prices for these things are so high. I just can’t find any way that justify this.

• ARP says:

As they mention, anti-counterfeit measures are constantly being updated.

I think it’s also a part of the “fees as a substitute for taxes” movement that’s been going on for a while. It’s too politically dangerous to raise taxes or reduce services, so the government hides it in fees. This essentially creates a variant of a consumption tax.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Well its good for something like 8 years as well, so if you take $110 or $135 / 8 its not that bad.

• shadowsystem says:

if you look on the “death and taxes 2010″ infographic under state department… you’ll notice Consuler Affairs(CA) isn’t on there… nor is passports…. passport services receives virtually no support from taxes… and helps pad CA from having to request tax payer money… welcome to not being subsidized for government services like ARP said. – passport services has been doing that for a while actually its not just recently. — and they’re good for 10 years.

5. Quake 'n' Shake says:

The new fees are to pay for things like increased security measures

For those of you who wind up paying the new fee, I’d like to thank you in advance for the body cavity search.

6. bitslammer says:

OK I’m going to say that this cost is unreasonable. Hell it was unreasonable at $100.

As a “free” country of citizens with supposed freedon to travel this is quite a bit of money for someone on a fixed budget. Granted if your that poor you aren’t going to be vacationing in the French Riviear, but you may have a legitimate need to travel to Canada or Mexico. Passports should be free or the fees should be nominal at best, i.e. no more than $20.

• ARP says:

I agree, but ain’t gonna happen.

Since everyone is afraid to raise taxes or cut services, we’re moving towards a de facto consumption tax, by charging large fees for things that should be much cheaper or free to feed the general fund or other areas of operations beyond what the fees was supposed to pay for.

• SamidhaMosquito says:

For driving to Canada and Mexico, you can use the cheaper passport card instead of the classic passport booklet.

• humphrmi says:

As a “free” country of citizens with supposed freedon to travel

You are free to travel around your free country without a passport. A passport allows you to travel to other countries, that aren’t obliged to treat U.S. citizens as their own, some of which don’t have freedom of travel. Thus a passport allows you to travel in their countries.

• shadowsystem says:

like you said: if your budget cant alot 60 bucks to get a card to got Mexico or Canada…. and your on a fixed income… maybe you shouldn’t have fucked your income up so you can afford to go on a vacation… and if your being payed by SSI long term… thats a whole lot of moving for someone who supposedly cant work… and if you want to spend 20 bucks for a passport how do you feel about that kid at doing your background checks and verifying your private records? because thats about what your going to get for 20 bucks.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Given that they’re renewed for what…a decade now? 15 years? I think the slight uptick in costs is okay. It’s not like you have to do this every year.

• Randell says:

You can’t be serious? Passports have NOTHING to do with travel in the United States. You are free to travel in your “free country” all you want. If you CHOOSE to travel to another country you need to pay for that ability.

• bitslammer says:

Of course I know you don’t need one to travel in the US. Where did I say that?

If I choose to travcel to another country I should still not have to pay that much for my right to be free to do so.

• Noir says:

What a crybaby. Proportionally talking, a passport would be about 400 bucks here and there’s no “renew” option, you have to buy a new one every time.

• DFManno says:

You think you have a “right” to travel to other countries? Try traveling to Cuba. The feds will want to have a word with you on your return. The Supreme Court has ruled that there is NO constitutional right to travel outside the U.S. [Regan v. Wald, 468 U.S. 222 (1984)].

• meltingcube says:

You didn’t read his comment, did you?

• jennsters says:

Actually you do need a passport to travel to some place in the US. When you fly into the Northern Mariana Islands, and possibly Guam, you need to present your US passport even if you are entering from Hawaii.

• Bog says:

But you are required to have one to leave or (re)enter the country. Last time I traveled the person in line in front of me only had her drivers license and they would not let her leave because she didn’t have the passport on her person at the gate. The looked at everyone’s else’s passport with a high power magnifier glass. Basically, you must have a passport to leave or enter without one they will stop you.

As far as the comments for requiring the passport for traveling to Guam, yeah, that was illegal, but they have the guns and power now and we are letting them get away with it.

• Erika'sPowerMinute says:

Yeah, that whole “free to travel within your country” thing:

Until a very short time ago I lived on Guam–a U.S. territory, just like Puerto Rico; U.S. dollars, U.S. postage, U.S. federal court system–and I needed a passport to fly to the mainland.

Also–you need a passport to fly between Guam and Hawaii, and between Hawaii and the mainland. Last time I checked, both Hawaii and California are both U.S. states, but you have to have a passport to fly between them, even nonstop. Stoopid.

• rockasocky says:

Do you mean someone born in Guam needs a passport between Hawaii and the mainland, or everybody does? Because if it’s the latter, you’re misinformed.

7. sir_eccles says:

Still cheap compared to getting a British passport through the Consulate in Washington (about twice the price).

8. Geekybiker says:

I make mine at home….. Errr scratch that.

9. Kaonashi says:

I can understand the price raise and the need for fees since passport services (not to mention other diplomatic services for international travel) aren’t cheap but I hope someone sues over the renounciation fee. That can’t be right that they’d make you pay money to say you no longer want to be a citizen.

Not that I ever think I will but if I ever decided to renounce my citizenship and they wanted to charge me for it I’d tell the country I wanted to get citizenship in that I renounced my citizenship regardless of whether the US accepts it or not and that they should treat it as a valid renunciation.

• ageekymom says:

I think that was supposed to be a joke…

• shadowsystem says:

it comes in with this: http://internationalliving.com/2010/03/10-renounce-citizenship/

basically people over seas renounce their citizenship so they don’t have to pay taxes.

• evnmorlo says:

Since US citizenship no longer protects you from being imprisoned or executed without a trial, but still makes you liable to be charged with “treason,” it is a good idea for everyone to renounce citizenship. This works best if you appear Latino, since that confers protection from deportation.

• Diebesbeute says:

Correction, they renounce so they don’t have to pay taxes TWICE… I know, I know Foreign Tax Credit/Debit and all, but still, possibly being liable for a double tax burden and definitely being required to fill out tax forms for both the country you are working in and a bully from your past that want to keep their finger in…. kind of pointless. Why the US can’t just let it go like other countries…

10. veg-o-matic says:

Dangit. Now it’s going to cost me more to get my dental work done…

11. chiieddy says:

Let’s put these numbers in perspective, shall we?

Type of Passport | % Increase in Fee (rounded to nearest whole #)
    Passport Book – adult | 35%
    Passport Book – minor | 24%
    Passport Book Renewal – Adult | 47%
    Passport Card – Adult | 22%
    Passport Card – Child | 14%

So is the government really expecting me to believe there is a 12% increase in the amount of work required for processing a renewal versus a new application?

In addition it used to cost 33% more to get a new passport versus a renewal. It is now just 23% more to get a new passport. They kept the price point at $25 more but failed to keep in mind that we’re looking at bigger numbers now.

I call bullshit on the pricing model.

• Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Let yours expire, then get a new one. Pay less.

• Southern says:

It has nothing to do with the actual “cost” though – it’s just a way for them to make money.

• wetrat says:

You know, when I got my passport 3 years ago the wait time was MONTHS. The fact is that they have added a lot of processing centers and reduced the wait times so it is much more reasonable. As a consumer who values convenience I would gladly pay these increased rates in exchange for the faster service (which is what it sounds like they’re doing with the money).

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yep, i think in 2006/2007 i waited 10 weeks for mine

• Tallanvor says:

In 2003 I was able to get my passport in under a week. The reason it’s taking so much longer is that so many people need them now thanks to idiotic laws that require passports or passport cards for travel even to Canada. Usually increased sales of a product allow you to decrease your production costs… Funny that the government doesn’t seem to be able to handle that.

• SpruceStreetPhil - in a new Pine flavor says:

When I got my passport 5 years ago the wait time was also in months. I think there was a strong correlation of weather and passport processing locations at the time… (New Orleans, Katrina)

• evnmorlo says:

Once they get you hooked on passport they can charge more. Actually a renewal costs them more in postage to send your canceled book back. Basically all the work for a new passport is done at the PO, which charges its own fee.

• shadowsystem says:

that…. or your both didn’t actually bother looking at the real pricing model and accounting for the fact that you pay the total fee to two different sources… and realize its actually raised by exactly the same amount…..:

+35 to GOV
        Passport Book – adult | $100.00(75+25) | $135.00(110+25)
        Passport Book Renewal – Adult | $ 75.00(75+0) | $110.00(110+0)
        +20 to GOV
        Passport Book – minor | $85.00(60+25) | $ 105.00(80+25)
        +10 to GOV
        Passport Card – Adult | $45.00(20+25) | $55.00(30+25)
        +5 to GOV
        Passport Card – Child | $35.00(10+25) | $40.00 (15+25)

• SenorBob says:

Actually, for a new one they have to mail your original birth certificate back to you. Granted, a birth certificate is lighter than a passport, so the postage will be less, but not THAT much less.

12. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

What’s a passport card? And can I get one instead of a passport book?

• phrekyos says:

It looks kind of like a driver’s license. It’s only good for land and sea travel to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean though. You can get a card, a book, or both.

13. PanCake BuTT says:

Don’t forget to nuke your passport, or take it to your next MRi, or even better Hammer-Time it. Bad RFiD !

• SissyOPinion says:

I was just going to back over mine with my car but I’m intrigued by the nuking idea…

• jacques says:

I nuked my chase credit card with RFID in the days before I dumped them. Left a tiny burn park and a pinhole where the chip was. Only needed a few seconds in the microwave. But I’d be careful with passports, that could be considered defacing it if caught.

14. Tallanvor says:

The passport fees are bad, but at least an adult passport only has to be replaced every 10 years. I have over 2 years left before it’s time to renew mine.

What is really outrageous are the fees for those of us overseas. It’s now $50 per document you need notarized! Or really, it’s $50 per sheet of paper that needs to be notarized. For those of us overseas, there are no other options for getting a document notarized.

Then again, I shouldn’t be surprised. Embassies as a rule seem to do everything they can do to make Americans feel unwelcome in their own embassies. Go figure.

• sweaterhogans says:

Yeah, a price increase sucks, but $110 every 10 yrs really doesn’t seem like a big deal. What kills me is other countries charging you way to much for a visa. Most countries people want to visit don’t bother, but third world countries (like India–$150 for 10 yr visa) KILL ME.

15. tiz says:

why is consumerist ONLY about the US. there should be a consumerist.ca

16. lordargent says:

Damn, I just made an appointment a week or two ago. The earliest I could get was the 16th.

17. Myotheralt says:

I was in the Army Reserve, and they got me an Official Passport, it says “The bearer is on official US Government business.” I have had no other passport. Would I have to get a new one to get a regular blue book, or could I just ‘renew’?

• evnmorlo says:

Google says no, but you could double-check @ 1–877–487–2778
      or by email at NPIC@state.gov. Customer Service Representatives are available M–F 6AM–12 Midnight Eastern Time (excluding federal holidays)

18. strawberryjam says:

Damnit!

We just got our marriage license in the mail and this doesn’t give me enough time to get my new social security card, and then my new drivers license to apply for a passport.

19. mattarse says:

I’ve never heard of the passport card, and when you look at it this is about useless except for truckers.

• jacques says:

Easy, there….
      The passport card is good for those who only go cruising, or those who live or travel near either border. I live near the canadian border, and if my state didn’t offer enhanced drivers licenses, I would get one just for the occasional trip over. Easier than worrying about a passport.

20. smo0 says:

OH damnit to hell! I have been putting this off… if I fill out the app and everything tomorrow can I still get it at 100 bux?!?!?!?!
    AHHHHHH SOMEONE RESPOND!