Great Customer Service Is Just How Wagner Rolls

Michael writes bought an electric paint roller to get through the huge amount of painting required to make his new house look nice. Eventually, its motor died, leaving Michael and his wife without painting power. All was not lost, however: Michael had saved the receipt, and the roller had a two-year warranty. A two-year warranty that the company stands behind. Now Michael has an even better roller, and wanted to share his experience with Consumerist.

Every now and then a company gets it right with customer service. My wife and I moved into our house in March 2009, and one of our very first purchases was a Wagner Power Roller – a machine with an electric pump that pumps paint through a flexible tube and into a roller for painting the bare white walls of our home. We had great success painting most of the house and recently got the machine out again to finish one of the few unpainted rooms.

The Power Roller was fine for the first day or so of the most recent painting job, but then the motor began to die. It got to the point that, if we held the roller arm in just the right position and pressed the pump button, it would pump paint for a few seconds before dying. In the wrong position, the pump would make one feeble whir and then quit.

We checked the manual and discovered that the machine came with a two-year warranty – excellent! I called Wagner to ask what I should do for warranty service, and they gave me a phone number for a local servicer. When I called that number, though, the person who answered said that Wagner was mistaken – they did not service Wagner power rollers.

Frustrated, I called Wagner again and explained the situation to another customer service rep, Kim. Kim didn’t bat an eye and immediately offered to send us a brand-new machine – although, she explained, it might not be the same exact machine we have because they don’t sell that one any more. She gave me a fax number and asked me to fax (to her personal attention) my contact information and a copy of the receipt from the purchase (good thing I keep those!).

Three days later, UPS dropped off a brand spanking new Wagner Power Roller Max at our front door. The new machine has features that the old one didn’t – it’s a better product. Kim didn’t demand that I send back the old machine or take it to someone who could verify the problem – she believed me when I said that the motor was dying and took care of the issue right then and there.

I highly recommend Wagner, not just for the quality of their machines (our first one only died after many, many, MANY hours of painting) but for the quality of their customer service.

What a great story. Happy painting!

Comments

1. HalOfBorg says:

Well, it SHOULDN’T die after many, many MANY hours of painting, but things do. And the company took good care of a customer. WIn for both.

• dadelus says:

Well, in the immortal words of Peter Steele of Type O Negative fame, Everything Dies.

To be clear, the words are immortal. Peter Steele, unfortunately, not so much.

2. RevancheRM says:

Another excellent example of how the Consumerist works both ways, reporting companies who get it and companies that don’t.

3. legwork says:

Good for them.

Still, Wagner equipment is “Harbor Freightish” in a proof-of-concept way. Don’t expect professional performance or durability, but you will gain insight as to how a serious version of the same tool might perform. If that’s good enough, great.

4. chiieddy says:

Looks like you can buy these at Home Depot for a little over $80 if anyone is interested. :-)

5. infected says:

A company provided warranty support for their product.. this happens thousands of times a day. I don’t see the hoop-la in this story or article.

• Tim in Wyoming says:

Then come over to my house and look through my records of the last four warranty issues I have had….. It is actually rare for a company to step up and honor their warranty and not skirt around what they say they will do in their warranty agreement.

6. sirwired says:

It’s a sad day when a company merely honoring the terms of its warranty is considered “above and beyond”. (Especially since it involved a short wild-goose chase to find service.) Shouldn’t honoring a warranty (preferably on the first call) be an absolute baseline for being considered even a marginally acceptable company to deal with?

• pjorg says:

After providing bad information about where to have it repaired, they then immediately shipped a replacement (a newer version, actually) which was received three days later. No verification hoops, no shipping and handling, no “please get the old one back to us.”

You can say that this is merely the baseline, but I for one will be looking hard at Wagner products when I become a homeowner in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

• sirwired says:

The only reason they shipped a newer version is because they don’t have the old one any more. Again, this is hardly “above and beyond.” If a company can’t fix something under warranty, isn’t replacing it with a new one free of charge exactly what they are supposed to do? It was nice that they didn’t want the old one back, but again, this is hardly “above and beyond” since they really should have had a service center close by that handled it to begin with.

Above and Beyond would have been replacing it after the warranty ran out. Or replacing it even if the problem was the customer’s fault. Or maybe sending a bunch of goodies with the new one, like a box of spare roller covers.

7. Dopaz says:

Its stories like these that make me love Consumerist. I actually go out of my way to purchase products based on posts like this over other brands. If I pay a little more but know they back their product, I consider it money well spent.