BP Spill Now Spoiling All Gulf States As Tar Balls Hit Texas

Congratulations to BP and all the others responsible for the Deepwater Horizon disaster. You’ve officially managed to screw up every U.S. state along the Gulf of Mexico. Texas had been the only of the five states bordering the greasy body of water to be untainted by the spill, but that changed over the weekend when the first batch of tar balls washed up on the shore of the Lone Star State.

According to the Coast Guard, about five gallons of tar balls were found Saturday on the Bolivar Peninsula, northeast of Galveston, with another two gallons found Sunday on the peninsula and Galveston Island.

“It was just a matter of time that some of the oil would find its way to Texas,” said a science guy from the University of Miami.

Meanwhile, the mayor of Galveston sees a silver lining to all this.

“This is good news,” he said, not sounding at all like Murray Hamilton in Jaws. “The water looks good. We’re cautiously optimistic this is an anomaly.”

While the spill has barely touched Texas, it’s making inroads in Louisiana. Tar balls were spotted on Monday in the Rigolets, one of two waterways that connect the Gulf with Lake Pontchartrain.

And though the mayor of New Orleans said they are deploying assets to protect the Lake Pontchartrain basin, an official from the Louisiana Office of Fisheries expects the oil will eventually make its way into the lake.

As for the spill’s lasting effects, a commercial fisherman from Mississippi puts it best:

This isn’t going away. This isn’t a sneeze or a hiccup. This is diarrhea for a long time… My lifestyle is screwed. It’s over. The thing that I love the most I’m not going to be able to do anymore.

Tar balls hit Texas beach; oil from blown-out ocean well washes up along all 5 Gulf states [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. petermv says:

I have mostly thought that politics and politiicans form Texas were strange, this just confirms it. A beach coast Mayor states “This is Good News” when informed that their beaches have been hit with tar balls, and a US Rep from Texas apologising to BP for Obama getting cash from BP to pay for their mess, and referring to it as a “shakedown”.

Now I know what they mean when I hear “Only in Texas”.

• RvLeshrac says:

Looks like you’re free to mess with Texas all you want now. Texas is the new Canada.

• paladrache says:

Re: “This is good news”

In complete context: Galveston Mayor Joe Jaworski said he believed the tar balls were a fluke, rather than a sign of what’s to come. “This is good news,” he said. “The water looks good. We’re cautiously optimistic this is an anomaly.”

• JuliB says:

The govt had no legal standing to demand the money to pay out for claims. That is why it’s a shakedown.

2. dreamfish says:

All they need to do is put those “Don’t mess with Texas” signs on the coast and the oil will stay away.

3. catnapped says:

“IT’S OBVIOUSLY OBAMA’S FAULT!!!!!!!!!”

/snark

• pantheonoutcast says:

But it’s not snark. It IS Obama’s fault precisely as much as Katrina was Bush’s. Work that out any way you see fit.

• petermv says:

Having the might of the US behind you and still not providing any help to the suffering and dying citizens of New Orleans, while patting the responsible person on the back and saying what a great job you are doing was a complete Bush failure.

Comparing that to an oil well blowout one mile underwater, where it is completely out of reach of most human abilites and saying it is Obama’s Katrina is complete and utter nonsense.

This oil spill can and should be lumped together with the rest of the Bush failures, in this case, the failure to regulate effectively.

• nffcnnr says:

• pantheonoutcast says:

Uh huh. Let me know when the statute of limitations on “Ignorant people blaming Bush for everything that has happened in recent history” runs out.

And as I remember correctly, the “suffering and dying” of New Orleans took their assistance money and went clubbing.

• modelchick8806 says:

Really? That’s not what I recall my aunt doing. Don’t you sound intelligent.

• c!tizen says:

That’s going to be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. The decisions a president makes are felt for sometimes decades after they’ve left office. Look at things like social security and Medicaid of which affects we’re feeling decades after the fact. That’s just the way it is. I’m not going to bash Bush, that would be way too easy and what good would it do anyway? But if I did want to be a smart-ass I would probably go with something like…

Ask the troops who served 3 to 4 more tours then they signed up for when the statute of limitations runs out for Bushs’ BS. Probably about the same time their PTSD turns into dreams of rainbows and unicorns.

• petermv says:

Unfortunately the statute of limitations for Bush’s legacy will never expire. He was one sorry ass mistake of a President.

• smo0 says:

Weren’t the bills for offshore drilling done during the Bush administration? And doesn’t he have investments in BP and that shady company responsible for the “hardware?”

Curious.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

And who said offshore rigs were safer than they have ever been?

• Jesse says:

The fact of the matter is this oil disaster was a result of a major systemic failure and a lot of people were at fault on both the corporate and regulatory level.

I don’t think the Bush administration is any more at fault than the Obama administration. The current administration had 15 months to implement changes at the regulatory level but didn’t.

4. Michael says:

Of course BP doesn’t want to stop this as much as anyone else because they love all the bad press and the very real possibility that this will bankrupt them.

5. MrEvil says:

This sucks, I shoulda gone to Galveston at the first of June when I was in Houston. Now Galveston’s going to be ruined by the oil spill and I won’t get to see it in its un-fucked state.

And seriously, I’d love to have some of the drugs the mayor of Galveston is having. An Ecological disaster begins washing up on your shores (the primary reason you still have any industry) and you think it’s good news?

• AstroPig7 says:

Actually, Galveston prior to the spill wasn’t much better. If you can reach any other state’s gulf beaches, then I advise doing so before hitting Galveston.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I think it’s annoying when the post, as it is written, leaves out full context. The mayor wasn’t saying the tar balls were good news – he thought the tar balls could be a fluke, and not a sign of a huge problem, then he was saying that “it was good news.”

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

If that wasn’t done, do you know how many posts wouldn’t get a single pageview?

6. zibby says:

I still say that the first person that gathers up a bunch of these things, throws some google eyes on ‘em and markets them as “Pet Tar Balls” makes a fortune. If only I could get down there…

7. u1itn0w2day says:

This was sort of a given even though BP has apparently tried to cover up the spill by keeping it underwater with dispersants. And downplay the spill as well.

I’m Mexico will wind up with tar balls and sheen along with the south east coast of the US. They say Miami will get it by August when that loop current has had time to carry the oil around the tip of Florida.

What’s creepy even though it isn’t many a community’s fault they are say stuff like come on down, jump in, the water’s fine with little or no ‘caution oil spill’ signs.

8. liz.lemonade says:

Interesting. There’ve been tar balls on TX beaches for decades, thanks to a history of offshore drilling. I remember family trips down to Corpus in the ’80s, when the hotel would give you little towelettes to wipe the tar off your feet after the beach. And when I lived in Houston, everyone said not to go to Galveston because it was one big tar ball after another.

• u1itn0w2day says:

Now now don’t be so quick to blame those tar balls on offshore drilling. ‘They’re are naturual leaks seeping from the ocean floor’.

It’s amazing what people accept as normal or even notice what is ‘normal’. Tar at the beach I just cannot accept as ‘normal’.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I guess I was lucky. We always went in the ’70s and the only thing on the beach was those nasty Man O’ War jellyfish. My dad did step on a piece of glass, however. But that kind of thing is everywhere.

9. petermv says:

I’m just wondering what the gulf is going to look like after the first hurricane blows through.

10. cromartie says:

And this differs from any other day at Galveston Bay how?

11. Elvisisdead says:

As someone who grew up going to the beach in Galveston – we’ve ALREADY had our fair share of oil, thanks. Dig 2 feet down into the sand, and it looks like fudge ripple ice cream. So, 7 total gallons of tar balls is, indeed, good news.

Why did no one pitch a fit over it to date, you ask? Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

12. peebozi says:

hopefully bp will continue to fight for the free market principles and refuse to be intimidated into cleaning up the so-called “oil spill”. requiring them to clean up or reimburse the deadbeats who stopped fishing is a travesty of the American ideal AND free markets!!!!