Use Your Obsolete Computer To Grate Cheese

While Vince “ShamWow” Shlomi might think slicing cheese with an Eminem CD is the ultimate in repurposed tech, MacForce has one-upped him big time. The tech consulting company is out with a video demonstrating how the Apple PowerMac G5, launched in 2003 as a $2,000 workhorse computer, is now better suited to working as a humble cheese grater.

As the Mac ‘n Cheese lovers at TUAW point out:

Actually it’s just the case doing the grating — you have to admit, with all of those tiny holes for ventilation, the case works pretty well. It does make a mess, though, and there’s quite a bit of cheese still left on the unit. It may not be able to run 10.6, but the old G5 will spruce up your salad if you so choose.

Nice to know that there’s such a practical use for obsolete computer hardware. Add some of the models that have been recalled for bursting into flame, and you might be able to prepare an entire meal using old gadgets.

Grating cheese on a G5 [TUAW]

Comments

1. rahntwo says:

I’ve been using one to strain my tea for years.

2. El_Red says:

That’s not safe. Who knows what chemicals are there on this tower. And it must be very dirty, too.

3. flarn2006 says:

That reminds me of something I saw in MacAddict, back when the G5 wasn’t obsolete.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I agree. I thought this looked familiar. I have a bunch of back issues, but don’t feel like thumbing though them all.

4. dreamfish says:

I wonder if you could grate ginger on it too?

5. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I just knew that someday, somebody would come up with a use for a Mac.

6. Jthedoc says:

Actually that case is probably worth a hundred bucks on eBay

7. madanthony says:

We’ve referred to these at work as “cheese grater” macs for years, but it never occurred to me to actually do that.

Although as long as you don’t need to run 10.6 or intel-only software, a G5 – especially a later dual-processor model – is still a very usable machine, and working ones actually still are worth a few bucks in the secondary market – I was at the Penn State surplus auction last fall, and working g5’s (I think they were 2ghz or so) with adc cinema displays were going for $200+

• incident_man says:

The PowerMac G5’s are the last (chronologically) Mac I’d consider getting; I just am not a fan of the Mac-tel boxes. That’s about the time the quality started going to $hit.

• sqlrob says:

They started going to shit before then

/iMac G5
        //in the shop twice

• incident_man says:

About the only iMac I liked was the original Bondi Blue one. Mine is still running. They removed the cooling fan on them not long after that and then they started having problems. My dad’s dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 (early 2004) is still running strong too. That goes the same for my PowerMac G4/466 and PowerMac G4 Server.

I don’t care what Steve Jobs says; it doesn’t matter if its got a PowerPC chip or Intel one, having a cooling fan inside is still a good idea.

• madanthony says:

There were a run of G5 iMacs with video distortion issues.

I loved the form factor of the g4 lampshade iMacs. We’ve got a ton of the silver intel iMacs at work and they’ve been pretty solid so far, but they are a PITA to take apart.

• rekoil says:

Agreed – a few months ago I sold a dual 1.8 G5 tower on Craiglist for around $500.

8. Shonky McShonk says:

well you could use your dell to grill the cheese

9. Coles_Law says:

“It does make a mess, though, and there’s quite a bit of cheese still left on the unit.”

Steve Jobs later issued an email claiming the problems were a result of the demonstrator holding the G5 incorrectly.

10. f0nd004u says:

Man, this makes me sad. Those were, and are, really nice machines. I’d slap Gentoo on it and use it as a file server in a heartbeat.

People, don’t give up on your old machines! Give them to people like me who will put them to good use.

• TVGenius says:

We’ve still got almost a dozen G5s at work running just fine, and they’ve been punished with lots of video rendering and stuff too. One ran for two and a half years straight doing a time lapse video with no freezes, crashes or reboots.

• f0nd004u says:

Motorolas processors have always been awesome for that. And the G5 is a freakin badass proc; the first commercially available 64-bit processor, and they are the precourser to the cell procs in PS3s, which are some of the best processors available on the commercial market (IMHO). If I had some, you can guarantee I’d be using them as cloud computers.

One of the main reasons Apple dropped the PowerPC was because at the time, the G5 looked like it wouldn’t scale down to laptop specs. If only they’d been invested in… I feel like PPCs would be a force to be reckoned with.

11. ridbx says:

Hah, one of these (sans cheese) is still my daily production machine.

12. yessongs says:

I wouldn’t even use a Mac to grate cheese, but an Iphone could be used to steady a table since you can’t get any decent reception from it.

13. zandar says:

For a graphic designer, this is one hell of a workstation. If you think your G5 is only good for grating cheese, please send it to me.

Or just throw it in the landfill. That seems to also be implied by mr. cheese grater.

14. rpm773 says:

I came here desperately looking for a way to perform a fast Fourier transform with a cheese grater.

Looks like Google’s ‘I feel lucky” screwed me again!

15. Zeke_D says:

obsolete?!?! I just got my first mac, an Apple Power Mac G4! anyone have an obsolete G5 to send my way?

16. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I’m never quite sure what people mean when they say “obsolete.” It seems like plenty of these are still out there being used by plenty of people. Not sure how that makes it obsolete.

17. PsiCop says:

There is no way a PowerMac G5 could be useful only for grating cheese. Granted, it can’t run Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6), and it can’t run a lot of Mac software released in the last (say) 3 years which is intended for Intel CPUs, but I can find a lot of things which will work great on it and find more than a few uses for it.

18. Yorick says:

I’m still using my 2004 G5. Going strong.

‘course, I’ve only had it for three years. I used a 2000 G4 up until then. I only upgraded for speed and so I could use 10.5.

19. Galium says:

Just what I always wanted, a cheese grater bigger than my table. This story was pitiful, a six year old could have used better imagination. Must be a very slow day for complaints, to let an “I got my name out there, everyone should be impressed” type story. Has the slow down from the bad economy decreased complaints, as no one is buying anything to complain about? Just curious. Or maybe you should do a story about the economy’s affect on complaints. There are a lot of variations it could take. It would beat this crap.

20. trujunglist says:

considering that my $3k G5 never once worked properly and Apple refused to fix or even admit that there was a problem with the power supply/fans/entire fucking shitty ass design of the travesty known as a G5 revA tower, I wish I’d thought of this years ago…