Kentucky Man Caught With $64,000 In Stolen KFC Gift Checks

Yesterday, we wrote about the 10 Commandments Of Good Coupon Users, and among them was “Don’t raid multiple coupons from the coupon dispenser.” Well, a man in Kentucky ignored — to the extreme! — this commandment, treating a document-storage facility like a coupon dispenser and making off with $64,000 worth of KFC gift checks.

Police say the man, who is now under arrest, stole the the stash of $5 checks from the Iron Mountain Records facility where he had been employed. He subsequently began selling them to others who could either use them for food at KFC or have them converted to cash at the fast food joint.

The missing checks were first noticed in January during a routine audit by Iron Mountain. The company notified the police, who worked with KFC to track when stolen checks were redeemed. Ultimately, the trail led back to an Iron Mountain employee.

The 37-year-old has been charged with “theft by unlawful taking,” which sounds vaguely redundant.

KFC Coupon Caper: Man allegedly steals thousands of $5 gift checks [WHAS11.com]

Comments

1. ecwis says:

Iron Mountain is a pretty sketchy company. They “lost” all my personal information and refused to even offer credit monitoring service. I’m not surprised they hired someone who stole tens of thousands of dollars in checks from their client.

• DowneMixedBoi says:

I agree. Not a company to trust with your personal paperwork.

You’re better off sticking it in a cardboard box in your garage.

2. The_Legend says:

That’s a hell of a lot of Double Downs…

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

12,800 of them.
      7 days a week, 3 meals a day, 52 weeks a year
      About 11 3/4 years worth of Double Downs. Better find some friends.

4/12
      DOUBLE DOWN EVERY DAY

• Darthwave says:

12,800 double downs. Something tells me my Gift check thief will be seeing a cardiologist very soon.

3. nbs2 says:

There are different ways to steal something, but getting into details isn’t in keeping with the spirit of the holiday.

I am surprised to find out that something like this would be stored at IM. I suppose I shouldn’t be, but I never really thought about the bulk printing that goes into creating these gift checks.

That this guy was going through the docs at IM does make me wonder if more companies should reevaluate their IM contracts. They seem to be the doc storage site for every company I’ve ever worked for. There’s a lot of confidential documents in that mountain.

• Megalomania says:

Eventually, SOMEONE will have access to the documents. That they caught this by a routine audit (not when someone else noticed and tipped them off) is a pretty big plus in my eyes. As long as this makes them perform more screening in the future on employees and perhaps re-screen current ones as well, seems like it turned out pretty well.

• scoosdad says:

What I want to know is how and why Iron Mountain is “auditing” someone’s private stash of documents. I figured if you gave them something, it’s in a sealed box that goes inside some kind of secure storage area.

What, do they weigh the boxes when they come in and periodically toss them on a scale to make sure nothing’s changed?

• Dutchess says:

Document storage isn’t Iron Mountain’s only service.

When my company went through a financial crisis we had to hand over all the titles to our 17,000 vehicles as collateral for a bridge loan. We previously held the titles in my office in fire king cabinets. IM was used as the middleman between us and the bank. When we needed to request a title or a copy of a title we would call our IM rep and they would handle the request and send us only the document we needed.

4. fantomesq says:

Since the checks were entrusted to his employer, its probably a form of embezzlement and a felony at that value level.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Since the checks probably came from a different state, it’s probably federal, as well.

5. yessongs says:

Dude must really like KFC!

• AnonyMouse says:

Hopefully he also likes roommates named Bubba, and Big Steve. I have a feeling there’s gonna be a lot of “Double Downs” in his future. ;)

6. wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

That is REVOLTING amount of FKC, even if he ate a lot of the grilled chicken.

• DanRydell says:

He SOLD them

• wonderkitty now has two dogs says:

Is there a “joke” typeface we can use here? I mean, other people made jokes about the thief consuming the chicken for himself… but um, yeah.

7. MrsLopsided says:

The Bay department store in Canada used to (still do?) insert “Bay Dollar” gift certificates in with credit card statements- valid in-store on one weekend only. Customers would come in with a wad of fan-folded certificates (straight off the presses) and the cashiers were not allowed to challenge them.

8. FrugalFreak says:

So how does one go about getting one of those Gift certificates? A promo, purchase only?? Why wouldn’t they keep them in a safe at corporate headquarters?

• scoobydoo says:

Probably some kind of customer service complaint coupon when you mail them explaining that the double down made you poop blood for a week.