A new commercial in Old Spice’s “the man your man could smell like” series of ads hit the airwaves and the Internets this week. If you’re not delighted, you should be. The commercials are silly, visually interesting, and–according to their star, the very visually interesting actor Isaiah Mustafa–surprisingly low-tech behind the scenes.
Here he is, on a recent interview on G4’s “Attack of the Show.” If you can’t play the video at work, here are some of the highlights:
- There’s no CGI: just a very elaborate set built on a lake in Vallermo, California.
- It’s all one continuous shot, and required “36 or 37″ takes.
- In the first scene, those are prosthetic legs.
- The circular saw is terrifyingly real.
- The waterfall was man-made, and Mustafa wears a harness and wire through the entire shot.
Mustafa won’t reveal how he ends up wearing jeans in the last vignette where he’s sitting on a motorcycle. Mysteries.
And here’s the commercial itself, if you’re wondering what this is all about.
Isaiah Mustafa Reveals Secrets Behind Old Spice Commercial [G4] (Thanks, Joe!)