American Apparel Promised A Free Thong, But I Remain Without Butt Floss

It’s a familiar story: company offers free item. The promotion goes viral and appears on deal sites, as well as the world’s greatest consumer blog. Company runs out of the free item and shuts down the promotion. That’s what B. says happened when she signed up for American Apparel’s e-mail list to get a free thong. SHe signed up, and then the company ended the promotion after the fact, perhaps hoping that customers wouldn’t notice. Update: American Apparel contacted us, and B. now has replacement thongs.

B. writes:

American Apparel ran a marketing scheme where they stated if you signed up for their email list you would get sent a free thong. I partook in this and signed up and gave them all of the necessary info. When I never received a free thong I emailed them asking why I never received the thong and if they could possibly resend it. This was their response:

“After receiving thousands of signups and mailing out thousands of thongs, we’re bringing this fun promo to a close. If you missed out, don’t worry – you can still sign up and be first in line for our other deals, special offers and other surprise giveaways. Meanwhile, we’re digging through our warehouse to see if we can find another great style to give to our new subscribers. Thank you”

B****** I stated in my email that I had participated in the original promo and they reply that it is now over? I already signed up so why is this woman asking me to sign up again to receive deals with the vague possibility of another promotion?

Don’t lose hope, B: maybe they’ll find a whole pallet of last season’s thongs and send them out. But probably not.

Update: American Apparel followed up with B. and sent a lovely selection of thongs to make up for the delay. If you haven’t received yours yet, we counsel patience.

PREVIOUSLY:
How To Score A Free Thong From American Apparel

Comments

1. FatLynn says:

I received mine. It is really nothing to get that excited about. I’d offer to send it to you, but I am wearing it right now.

• RandomHookup says:

That’s a whole different business…

• SixOfOne says:

I got mine also and noticed that it needs some repair work. Part of the fabric didn’t get attached to the elastic in the back. O.o

• dabarak says:

Hmmm… so if you’re wearing it now, would you send it to me when you’re done?

(I’m… KIDDING!!! I’m not really a kink.)

2. FatLynn says:

I got mine. It’s pretty lame. Shall I send it to B?

3. Cicadymn says:

Th B stnds fr Btch. Srr cldn’t hlp t. ‘m sr sh’s qt nc prsn.Tht’s t bd thgh. Nthng lk gttng grl n thng t kp th wrld hpp. nlss th dn’t blng n thng. Thn b ll mns w nd t hnk .

4. rpm773 says:

…Without Butt Floss

What a pleasant description.

5. mianne prays her parents outlive the TSA says:

To be fair, it’s only been a little more than a month since this “deal” went viral. The CSR’s statement seems to state only that the offer is currently expired. IE Don’t sign up today hoping to score free butt floss. However, It’s still possible that B’s thong is on its way.

• FatLynn says:

Yes, mine just arrived. Hers could still be en route.

• Fidget says:

Ditto. It’s not all that inspiring though. So I’m going to turn the lights out in the laundry room and take pictures while I look really depressed laying on the floor. I make my own crappy ads.

6. pantheonoutcast says:

“Meanwhile, we’re digging through our warehouse to see if we can find another great style to give to our new subscribers.”

In other words, “We ran out. So wait a bit and we’ll send you something else.” So, wait.

I was going to say, “Don’t get your panties in a bunch,” but that would be like adding insult to injury…

7. Anathema777 says:

Dear B,

I read three words of your email and took a guess at the rest!

Thanks,
    American Apparel

8. lizzybeans11 says:

I received mine as well quite recently. Also came w a coupon. Did B get the coupon at least?? That would seem like nicer thing to do than just ignore the customer.

9. Parsnip says:

I got mine just yesterday. Have a little patience. The promotion wasn’t very long ago.

10. anime_runs_my_life says:

Okay, there are more important things to fuss over than getting a thong. Honestly. Yeah, it’s free, but really? Are you that hard up for underwear?

• hoi-polloi says:

AA didn’t live up to their end of the deal. B gave her personal information in exchange for a free product. The free thong was motivation to sign up, which she may not have done otherwise.

• greggen says:

I take offense at the companies non-apology. ‘if you missed out’? Er, this company got the email list signup and did not deliver the promised item.

Would it be OK to walk away from the register and say ‘so sorry you missed out me paying for these items today, I already paid many other businesses, and will be busy digging in my sofa and looking for ways to find more money. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones who get paid for the items I take next time I shop. Thanks for the free item!’

11. nova3930 says:

I got the one I ordered for my wife. She loved it, doubly so since it was free…

12. Shervey9 says:

I got my pair last week

13. ZeGoggles says:

This article really can’t be evaluated unless some pictures are posted of those having trouble securing the item.

You know. Just so we can assess the situation.

14. Morte42 says:

My girl got hers. B must just be unlucky.

15. peebozi says:

i think this is a free market issue and it will work itself out.

16. CPC says:

My wife got hers, too. She signed up pretty early, though. Once these offers hit Slickdeals, etc. they usually disappear like this.

17. iParadox{InLove} says:

I got mine. It was purple.

18. cromartie says:

Now, see, I saw “Free Thong” and Laura’s byline and got all excited.

But, alas. Not quite what I hoped for.

I hate to blame the op, and I know AA isn’t exactly above board, but some simple math would dictate that anytime you put up the word “Free” on the internet, demand will outstrip supply pretty quickly.

What happened to her is exactly what one should expect to happen every time a promotion like this is run. Too many people wanting too little free stuff resulting in a “sorry we’re out, now you’re on our mailing list forever” return. This isn’t new, and it’s why we all have junk e-mail addresses for our stuff to go, and a circular file for the resulting mail catalogs.

19. Mecharine says:

Never in my life did I ever think that I would see the phase “free thong”.

20. ittybittykitty says:

@FatLynn I got mine too and I wouldn’t pay anything for it. Super cheap, Wal-mart quality. But isn’t all their clothes like that? I can’t stand their stores, too hipster for me.

21. pixiegirl says:

I got mine, apparently in American Apparel language a extra large = a size 4.

22. Audiyoda28 says:

My wife got hers – really nothing to write home about. OP needs to deal with the fact this was a promotion and the offer was for something free – if the company behind said promo want to pull the plug they have that right. Just like the OP has the right to opt-out of their future offers.

23. wittyalias says:

I got mine a week or two ago. But that was several weeks (at least a month I’d say) after I signed up. So I’d say if the promotion was still running when she signed up, it’s on its way. Saying she ‘never’ received it doesn’t really indicate how long she’s been waiting and the email from AA doesn’t say that they’re backtracking on requests already received.

24. Pinkbox says:

I got mine just a few days ago… didn’t really care if I got it or not though, and honestly, the quality is pretty low so I doubt I’ll ever wear them at all.

25. specialm says:

I just got mine late last week. Perhaps she should have a little more patience since it was merely a free thong…

Obviously she got a canned response that didn’t quite apply to her predicament, so on that note, I think it’s too bad American Apparel’s service wasn’t better. But she should definitely wait and see.

26. Stanky1231 says:

Bwah hahaha. I just got a thong in the mail today. I was under the impression I somehow was randomly selected through some marketing nonsense to receive this. Turns out my girlfriend got a hold of the promo bandwagon and sent it to me.
    Looks like I’ll be modeling for her tonight…

27. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I received mine. Granted, I asked for an XL and got a S… but still…