When Is It OK To Use The Handicap Restroom?

There’s a pretty heated debate a-brewin’ on the normally tame pages of Dear Abby’s advice column this week about when — if ever — is it okay for someone without a disability to use the restroom stalls constructed for use by the disabled?

Looks like Abby had previously advised a reader of larger size that it was okay for her to use the handicap stall because she had difficulty getting situated in the smaller stalls. Since then, the longtime advice columnist has gotten plenty of feedback from both sides of the argument.

There are those who claim that, like handicap parking spots at stores and offices, these stalls are reserved for those who need them most.

Then the opposite side of the argument goes that these stalls are for everyone’s use and that they exist to accommodate those who need them.

Surely our readers have just as many varied and well-reasoned opinions as the old biddies (like me) who read Dear Abby?

Dear Abby: Are restrooms for disabled for use only by the disabled?

Comments

1. tekmiester says:

An empty restroom is an empty restroom. If there is no handicap person in the store, then surely you can do your business and not interfere with them. I don’t think there are any laws related to handicap restrooms.

• Putts says:

Exactly, I’ve used handicap stalls plenty of times over the years, and not once have I ever emerged from a stall to find a handicapped person waiting on me to use it.

It’s not like a parking lot where there are hundreds of non-handicap spots and only 4-8 handicap spots…an average men’s room will have 1 handicap stall and 1 or 2 non-handicap stalls. It’s unreasonable to assume that those handicap stalls can only be used by handicapped people.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Or around here where there are hundreds of handicapped spots and only 4 regular…

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

My best friend has been in a wheelchair since age 3. I’ve helped him to the bathroom plenty in the 14 years I’ve known him, in bars, at concerts, and we’ve never had a problem with the handicap stall being in use. Granted I’ve only known him 14 of his 32 years, but I’m willing to bet that he doesn’t expect to never wait in line for a stall. Also, if there are lines in the bathroom, people voluntarily help him to the front.

I use handicap stalls because they’re not ridiculously tiny. I’m not a large man, but some stalls seem like they’re built for pygmies.

Also, keep in mind that smaller bathrooms may ONLY have a handicap stall. Many bathrooms I’ve visited are like this.

• QuantumRiff says:

I always thought it was handicap Accessable not Handicap reserved.

Now the parking spaces are reserved, and say so.

• Shadowman615 says:

Exactly. Plenty of bathrooms only have one stall, and that one happens to be Handicapped accessible. Does that mean nobody else gets to use it? No! Because it’s not a reserved spot.

• jimstoic says:

Exactly. The headline on this page creates a misconception that they are “handicap restrooms.” That this isn’t true is obvious when one considers that many establishments have only one restroom, and that restroom is handicap-accessible. Surely people are not saying that this restroom shouldn’t be used by anyone who isn’t handicapped.

If people want to change this, then they need to do it by law. Which would be stupid.

• dangermike says:

If I had an urge so pressing that I even fathomed using a public restroom, all bets are off. The first open stall is mine, in both cases.

• It'sRexManningDay! says:

Exactly. I can’t believe there’s even a debate about this. It’s not like you’re going to be in the restroom for hours at a time, as you might if you’re using a handicap-reserved parking space. The disabled rightly have handicap-accessible stalls made available to them, but they do not have “no waiting in line for 5 minutes” rights too!

• sea0tter12 says:

Actually, some handicapped people really can’t wait. I have two people in my life like that. I took my grandma, in a wheelchair, into a public restroom recently. There were at least five stalls, and the only occupied one was the handicap accessible one. However, my grandma has bladder issues, and when she has to go, she *has* to go. So I had to help her into a tiny stall, get her pants down while I kept the door closed as much as possible, embarrassing her when other people walked in. The other woman exited the stall and gave me a sheepish look as she left quickly. I have another friend in a wheelchair like that — if she feels the need to go, she has to go as soon as possible because she doesn’t have the muscle control to hold it very long like we do.

So, no, the handicapped really do need those spots to be available without a wait.

• kujospam says:

I agree those 2 people really do need it. But are you saying that all wheelchaired people have bladder problems? I don’t know because honestly I’m ignorant about the issue. The only time I have used the handicap spot is if the other toliets are in use or they are so nasty that I just couldn’t bare it. But I’m never in there longer then 4 minutes if I actually have to go. But if they seriously had that bad of a problem and nothing can be done with it, btw you make it sound like they have to go within 2 minutes of feeling the urge, then maybe it is time for depends. It sucks I know, but even non handicapped people I know have to use them because of bladder issues.

• whgt says:

Exactly…can able bodied people NOT use handicap accessible ramps? Does one need a handicap tag on their wheelchair in order to access a handicapped stall…no. They are not the same as parking spots where you have to be registered and have proper tags.

• spamtasticus says:

Perfectly explained by penn & teller

2. B says:

When the other stalls are full.

• shepd says:

Exactly, and with a office of at least 300 people, 95% of whom are guys and only two men’s stalls (I am told the ladies has a panacea of 6 stalls), that means if you’re handicapped you will have to wait (like everyone else). Although, I expect people would be nice and let you cut to the front of the line.

If we were to make people not use the handicapped stall if they weren’t handicapped, it would hardly ever see any use and we’d be doing a lot of cleanups on aisle 11…

• johnrhoward says:

panacea?

• sagodjur says:

Yeah, someone got that one wrong on the SATs. I think shepd meant plethora.

• Bakergirl says:

Could it be considered a panacea for my bladder with six stalls and no waiting?

• AnthonyC says:

If you need a stall to relieve your bladder, maybe the men’s room is not the right place for you?

Most likely the men’s room has urinals and stalls, whereas the women’s room has only stalls. Hence, fewer stalls in the men’s room because most bathroom breaks don’t require them.

• Marshmelly says:

some guys might not be comfortable not using a stall? I know my boyfriend says he usually uses one if available. I’m not a guy so…I don’t know haha

• shepd says:

Bingo. And yes, plethora was what I should have said.

There’s 4 urinals. And that’s great, but 2 stalls isn’t cutting it for this many guys. I’ve almost had to drive to a coffee shop when desperate for a non-urinal use of of the washroom. :(

• DanRydell says:

Or when the other stalls are not full. Or on days ending in Y. It is ALWAYS ok to use a handicapped stall.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Not if there’s a disabled person in line in the bathroom who needs to use that particular stall, so no, it is not ALWAYS okay.

• Fidget says:

Here’s the REAL debate: do you yield the handicap stall for families? I make the call based on personal need and perceived annoyance of children (which could sway either way; if they suck, and the parents suck, I don’t want them roaming freely around my feet).
          There’s really no one who can say “NEVER use the handicapped stall;” you just yield it in the immediate presence of a handicapped person. But families could get some discussion going.

• CalicoGal says:

No way in HELL do I yield the “big” stall to someone with kids.
            Your family in the bathroom = not my problem.

• allknowingtomato says:

It could easily become your problem if the parent goes to the bathroom, leaving the kid unattended, and the kid then sticks his/her head under the stall to stare at you doing your business. I would yield the VIP stall to a parent with young kids in tow if it would allow the parent to keep the kids from running amok all over the rest of the bathroom.

• CalicoGal says:

No way in HELL do I yield the “big” stall to someone with kids.
            Your family in the bathroom = not my problem.

• RandomHookup says:

A little girl in the men’s room can create some awkward moments.

• Scoobatz says:

I lump these bathrooms/stalls into the same category as family stalls. Both are designed with a particular audience in mind, but they can be used by anyone. Personally, when it’s time to use the bathroom, I prefer the club box myself.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

My wife is in a wheelchair. She was in a large bathroom with 8 stalls, 1 accessible and there was a line. The person directly in front of her took the handicapped stall when it became available forcing my wife to wait. She also took nearly 10 minutes. Person after person came through the line using the regular stalls in the interim.

So the disabled can wait but to make them wait that much longer is just mean.

• TJ says:

That is a situation where that woman should have ceded the handicapped restroom to your wife.

(Not that things would ever work out this perfectly in real life, but…) In an ideal situation, if there are more than 8 people in line, and 8 stalls, your wife waits in line like everybody else, until she has 7 or fewer people in line in front of her. At that point, the next time the handicapped stall opens up, it goes to her.

An exception to this would be when a person is in dire need to use the next available stall. (Granted, there’s no way to verify this.) Letting somebody who’s about to burst jump the line ultimately moves the line quicker, since getting everything out cleanly is much quicker than cleaning up an accident.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I have IBS and have had to wait at the end of many a line. 3 minutes feels like an hour to me. I don’t ask to jump the line or have special treatment even though I could crap myself. Luckily, I’ve always made it to the toilet in time, sometimes just barely, but I wait my turn…

• seaanemoneman says:

Wow, that story makes me angry.

• nonsane says:

The rest of these replies are all wrong. The only time it is not okay to use the handicapped stall, is when a handicapped person is already inside the stall…. No one wants to share the seat…

3. sanjaysrik says:

Wait, first off, it’s Dear Abby. That alone speaks volumes as to who is commenting on this. Stall is stall. If you have to go and all the others are taken, do your business and get out. Unless there is a convention of wheelchair users or disabled folks, it’s another locale.

4. farcedude2 says:

I’m all for anyone using them, and only giving preference when someone who needs it actually shows up.

5. sirwired says:

My view is that you shouldn’t use them unless you need them if other stalls are available. If the handicapped stall is the last one, by all means use it. If you can’t fit in an undersized stall, by all means use the disabled one.

However, if the other stalls are open, and you just want to use the handicapped one because you like the space… forget it.

• sanjaysrik says:

It’s a bathroom for crap’s sake, not as if you’re grilling meat in there.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Point is, don’t use it unless there’s no other choice, especially not if you think you might be a while.

• devwar says:

Guess what, handicapped people can wait in line too.

• lyllydd says:

Yup. I’ve been the one in the wheelchair, and on a walker, and on crutches. I never begrudged the desperate person who got in ahead of me. I waited.
            Mind you, being in that situation has made me more aware of other people who need to use handicapped facilities, and I will always let them go first.

• johnrhoward says:

“If there’s only one stall, and someone who actually needs it comes in, and it’s occupied…what then? “

Is that a trick question? Then they wait until you’re finished.

• sirwired says:

Sometimes when you gotta go, you gotta go. If there is only one stall that can serve your needs, and some selfish prick is taking his sweet time in there because he liked to stretch while using the can, that’s gonna suck.

• DanGarion says:

And? People that aren’t handicapped have to wait, so can the handicapped.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Well, no. People who aren’t handicapped can use any available stall. Handicapped people can generally only use the handicapped stall.

If you goes to the handicapped stall when there are other ones that are open and you’re not handicapped – you just want the space – a handicapped person who comes in doesn’t have a choice. They have to wait for you – my point was that if there are no other stalls, use the handicapped one. If there are other ones open, don’t be a jerk and use it if you know you might be a little while. You had a choice in stalls – the handicapped person doesn’t.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

If you goes? Lord, I need an edit button and more coffee.

• OMAC says:

I use the handicapped stall if the regular stalls are too small. If you think I am being a selfish prick, I DARE you to use the regular stalls at O’hare airport. They are next to impossible to use, not because of the size but the shape of the seats, and let’s not forget the idiotic automated seat covers.

I won’t use a stall if the paper dispenser is jammed too close to the seat. It happens more often than you think.

• ajlei says:

Heh, I just went to O’Hare for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was mildly amused and mildly disturbed by the automatic seat covers. Never seen those anywhere in the northwest before.

• leprechaunshawn says:

O’Hare moved to the northwest? I hope not, I’m flying out of there in a couple weeks.

• Fidget says:

All airport stalls should be able to accommodate people’s obscene amount of luggage. Or they should set up an airport appointed luggage babysitter outside the damn bathrooms. Cut the wait time entirely and make the TSA useful.

• Alvis says:

Same thing non-handicapped people do if all the stalls are taken – wait.

• peebozi says:

they’d have to wait. or would you expect the abled to wait if one of the non-accessible stalls was in use but the accessible was available?

i never understood why the disabled would want special treatment after all those years of fighting for equality

• Tim says:

If there’s only one stall, no matter whether the person waiting for it is disabled or not, they wait for it. The alternative is that if there’s only one stall, and it’s handicap-accessible, you just plain can’t use it unless you’re disabled.

• FigNinja says:

I only use it if there aren’t any small stalls left, though I don’t think the disabled are on the whole any less capable of waiting than I am. If they’re incontinent, they’ll have a catheter. But since I know I don’t like waiting, I don’t want to make someone wait if its just as easy for me not to. I just feel it’s a kinder thing to do.

• hattrick says:

This isn’t like a parking spot, where the handicapped person really can’t (and shouldn’t) wait for you to come back. You’re going to be in the bathroom for, what, 3 or 4 minutes? At most?

I agree that handicapped people should not wait if there’s a line, they should go directly to the front. Life is harder when you’re handicapped and we need to be decent human beings. They should also get the handicapped stall the moment it is free, for the same reason.

But the idea that everyone should not use that stall on the off chance that a person in a wheelchair could show up and be inconvenienced for the 3 minutes it takes you to use it?

That seems a little silly.

• Lord Percival Q. Pennyfeather, III says:

Then it’s agreed … regular people can park in handicapped spaces if they’re just running in to buy smokes or maybe some Pop Tarts for tomorrow.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

as a disabled person, i don’t see any reason for me to get to jump to the front of the line in the restroom. i’ll happily wait my turn for the stall with the hand rails i need to get onto and off of the toilet.
            but i feel that a person with crohn’s or another urgent bathroom need should get to jump to the front of the line. but even the people i know at work who suffer from crohn’s never ask to go first

• nbs2 says:

The trouble with Crohns and IBS is that they are “invisible” disabilities. They really only come in to play when eating and crapping, and most folks with it don’t look like it.

I remember people making cutting remarks about my Crohns sister being anorexic.because she couldn’t eat hardly anything, expressing jealousy over her dropping to a size 0, etc. I consider myself a little more sensitive to the needs of Crohn’s/IBS folks than the gerneral public, but unless I’ve been told that you have one of those, I’m just going to assume that you had some bad fish or Mexican for lunch.

• closetgeek says:

Single toilet restrooms are usually added to meet plumbing count per IBC (and/or other codes depending on region), and have to be handicap accessible. It gives an option to use less space when short a fixture or two. They are counted as regular fixtures when figuring how many toilets you need per men or women occupants. So I would say anyone can use them since they are figured that way. That being said, if you are waiting in line at a handicap stall let the person in the wheelchair go in front of you.

• Sarcastico says:

What if it’s a one-seater? As in, one large “bathroom” inclusive of toilet, sink & mirror that also happens to be handicap-accessible. . .are you also going to pass on using it because a handicapped person might be in the locale and might have to wait on you? What about all those selfish people that merely visit the can to comb their hair, pick their zits, or sneak a smoke? If it’s a one-seater, do you think they’re thinking about you waiting outside the door with your legs crossed, frantically hopping, holding your camel-toed parts and trying not to pee on yourself?

• farker says:

That’s not even sarcasm, that’s just dumb. Nobody was talking about a single-stall bathroom…

6. agraham999 says:

I’m simply going to use the stall I have to touch the least.

7. El Chicharron says:

I have no reservations about using the handicap stall. I’ve never once had an encounter with a disabled person who needed the stall while I was using it.

• FredKlein says:

Quite frankly, I’ve never once witnessed an encounter with a disabled person who needed a handicapped parking space while someone non-handicapped was using it.

In fact, In almost every parking lot I’ve been to, I see 75% of the handicapped spaces empty, while non-’capped people are forced to park halfway across the lot.

• mrscoach says:

You’ve obviously never had occasion to go out with handicapped people before. My niece was on oxygen because of her cystic fibrosis and couldn’t walk more than 50 feet without getting winded. She had a handicap placard and I was amazed at how often we had to circle to find an empty handicapped spot.

Don’t say she shouldn’t ever have gone out if she was in that bad of shape, the doctor WANTED her to get out because a) the exercise was good for her, and b) she needed to socialize. You try staying home because of a congenital defect in your genes and see how you feel.

My point? She didn’t have the option of us parking farther away, she needed to be as close as she could to her destination, and she would still have to sit down and rest.

Now that was parking spaces, with bathroom stalls she would be one of the first to give up the handicapped stall to someone else, if they needed it. Of course, she probably wasn’t as wide as the actual toilet, so the tiny stalls didn’t bother her.

I’m also from western Texas, where I have seen semi-arguments over who will hold the door. “You go ahead” “No, I’ll hold the door for you” “no, no, I’ve already got it, go ahead”. Problem solved if it is one of those double entries, where there is another set of doors to go through, the first person holds the door for the original door holder. Thank you’s all around.

• dg says:

Me neither… and if I did, then that’s too bad for them. I’m using whatever stall I want. If that means that someone else has to wait while I do so, then that’s their problem.

8. Alvis says:

All the time. It’s not like a parking space where you’ll be there for hours. Sometimes non-handicapped people have to wait for a stall to free up, too.

9. leftturnonred says:

Sometimes the handicapped stalls are so large it feels like I’m dropping the kids off in the middle of my old high school gymnasium. Just too weird. I prefer the confines of a regular crapper.

10. billpendry says:

I’m in the “these stalls are for everyone’s use and that they exist to accommodate those who need them” camp.

11. VA_White says:

Use the stall. If a handicapped person enters the restroom, they get to jump the line and use the handicapped stall next.

• webweazel says:

I agree. In fact, many handicapped stalls nowadays is where they put the baby changing tables. Following the logic the other way, are these changing tables ONLY meant for handicapped people with babies? Everyone else has to change the kids on the bathroom floor just in case a handicapped person comes in? Not likely.
      I use the handicapped stall all the time when I have my toddler with me. The extra room is a help because I need to be in there helping him. We both don’t fit in the smaller ones.

12. UnicornMaster says:

The handicap stall is not constructed for the sole purpose of the handicap user. That is ridiculous because what percent of the public is handicap. It is a stall that happens to accommodate handicap people. That said, use it at free will but just don’t cut in front of a handicap person to do so.

13. dragonfire81 says:

I take issues with a lot of “advice” Dear Abby gives, but on this one I don’t know. I have used handicapped stalls on occasion when they were the only stalls available and I really had to go but for the most part I stick with regular stalls.

As a male, I don’t often need to use a stall out in public (unless I’m sick, my body usually does fine holding it in until I get home) but when I do I’m not picky about which one I take usually.

14. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Well, unless you are like me and spend 30 minutes reading a novel sitting on the Colbert, I don’t think you will be in there long enough to really cause someone any real discomfort. And I’m sure if you are on the Colbert and see a set of wheels or some crutches from underneath the door, you’d hurry up. Besides, what if two handicapable people come into the bathroom at the same time? Does the person with the “lesser disability” have to wait?

15. pop top says:

Does anyone remember this skit from In Living Color? Jim Carrey was waiting in line to use a stall and went to the handicapped stall no one was using and he was immediately arrested. He has to use the bathroom again some time later so he throw himself down the stairs, becomes handicapped and when he goes back to the bathroom to use it, there’s now a line of handicapped people waiting for the single handicapped stall. Oh ILC.

If all the stalls are full, and there aren’t any handicapped people waiting to use it, then why not? It’s not legally reserved for them like parking spaces are, so I don’t see a problem.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

IIRC, he tried using the normal one, and was beaten up.

• balthisar says:

I thought it was SNL, but in any case, it was more like this: he wasn’t handicapped, but the police caught him trying to use the handicapped stall, and beat the crap out of him while explaining how important it was to reserve those stalls for the handicapped. Of course after having the crap beaten out of him, we was severely handicapped, and when attempting to use the same bathroom he found the handicapped stall busy, and used a normal stall. The same police caught him, and started to beat the crap out of him again, all the while lecturing about how privileged handicapped people were to have their own stalls, and that he shouldn’t be taking up space in non-handicapped stalls.

16. Veeber says:

There are a lot of places which only have a handicap accessible stall. so we can’t use them? I don’t see it as equivalent to parking. With parking you have no idea how long the space is unavailable forcing those who need the space to park farther away makinig it more difficult to get to the buildings. With a bathroom, it would be what 10 minutes? Don’t take the stall if others are open, but if it’s the last one and you gotta go …

• Veeber says:

Forgot to add. In a lot of places the larger stall is where they put the diaper changing table. Trying to change an infant on the sink counter is nearly impossible by yourself.

17. SkokieGuy says:

I’m in the second camp. Buildings must provide reasonable accommodations, which the large stalls represent. But, I think that everyone waits their turn. To put wheelchair-bound people ahead of their turn in line seems unreasonable.

MANY people have an urgent need to go to the bathroom, for example a prostate cancer survivor. He doesn’t need the space of the handicapped stall, but his need to go is just (or more) urgent, so to expect him to wait till a regular stall is available (and leave a handicapped stall unused, in case a handicapped person happens to enter the restroom) seems rather silly.

• Caldonia says:

I actually have a mother in a wheelchair and a father who is a prostate cancer survivor. My father agrees that he is much more capable of getting to the bathroom quickly than my mother, and with so much more ease. Life is obviously not fair, or no one would need a handicapped stall. Would you make a man show you his surgery scar to give him your place in line, or would you take his word? You’d take his word! Otherwise he might show you the scar anyway…

• JulesNoctambule says:

Have you ever tried getting from your wheelchair on to the toilet? Or assisted anyone disabled in doing the same? It’s nowhere as easy as you might think it is, and the extra time when you really have to pee can make a great difference.

• Ziggie says:

There are different types of handicap though. Who are people to judge who is handicap and who isn’t? My mom for instance has had 2 knee replacements and needs the bars in the handicap restrooms in order to use the bathroom. She does get super frustrated when mothers take group of kids in there and hold the handicap restroom hostage for 10 minutes or more while each child uses the restroom.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Those children need to go to the bathroom, and it’s very possible that the mom doesn’t want to leave the kids to their own devices in the regular stalls. They can lock themselves in and do other untold damage (small kids always find a way.) Just b/c you are handicapped doesn’t mean the stall belongs to you and only you. Other people have reasons for using it, and someone may have an untold handicap that someone with a more obvious handicap doesn’t see (my mom has a pin in her leg and needs the bars to help her up and down)or need to change a diaper on the changing table that is in the stall.

• Caffinehog says:

While I think a handicap stall is for everyone’s use, you should let them cut in line. Why? YOU can use any stall that becomes available. They are limited to one possible stall.

18. jo3lr0ck5 says:

They are the only restroom/stalls that I use…for many reasons.

19. Jared The Geek says:

I use them all the time in my building. We have no one in a wheel chair. I am 6’4 and about 300 lbs. The regular stalls have the toilet paper roll placed that when I sit I would have to reach between my legs and over to get to it. The stalls are thin and awful.

At my old office the handicapped stalls were totally separate rooms and I would go in there all the time, it was like a vacation. No need to smell or listen to the duties of others.

20. tgrwillki says:

I make it a point to use the handicap stall, as I like to stretch out a bit.

/going to hell, I am.

21. wellfleet says:

When you park in a handicapped spot, you’re likely to be occupying that space for much longer than you would be occupying a bathroom stall. Also, a handicapped-accessible stall merely guarantees that a handicapped person *will be able to make use* of the bathroom, not *how quickly* said person can access the stall.

22. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Also, does this apply to the handicapped sink as well? Can non-handicapable people use that sink?

• Daverson says:

Depends on whether or not all the urinals are in use, and how bad you have to pee.

• MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

Well, if the two outside urinals in a row of three are in use, it’s stall time, anyway.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

And ramps. Can I not use the ramps?

• Buckus says:

No, you can’t use ramps. If the only way into a building is by using the ramps, you obviously can’t enter the building.

23. Clyde Barrow says:

A handicap restroom is not just for use by them, but it is made to be accessible to them. It does not imply that non-handicap folks cannot use them.

24. robocop is bleeding says:

Remember, if you get caught using the disabled toilet, be sure to blame it all on the red bearded man.

• Jeff_Number_3 says:

LOL

Love that episode. I wonder how many other people will get it?

• womynist says:

Are you referring to the episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” where Larry David gets into an argument with a man in a wheelchair about using the handicap accessible bathroom?

If not, does this story remind anyone else of the CYE episode where Larry David gets into an argument with a man in a wheelchair about using the handicap accessible bathroom?

• Baxterjones says:

“If you don’t mind me asking, how were you disabled?”

“Acid.”

• Owls Are Raptors! says:

Oh my god I had forgotten about this! It must be difficult being gay AND disabled.

25. mszabo says:

I’d have to say the stalls are for the latter, they are for everyone’s use but someone who is able to use a smaller stall should use it if its available.

1) Being a guy a lot of times the only ‘stall’ is the handicap stall. Clearly its intended for multiple uses here.
    2) Being a Dad, the baby changing area is almost always located in the handicap stall, I’d further say going to a public bathroom with a small child, it seems reasonable to take the child with you into the stall. The alternative of leaving an unattended 2 yr old alone probably isn’t acceptable.

I can see the desire to have a handicap only stall, but it doesn’t seem like that is the way most public bathrooms have been constructed.

26. Dallas_shopper says:

I never use the handicap stall unless it’s a balls-to-the-wall emergency, i.e. I will make a mess if I don’t.

I can almost always wait. As in 99% of the time. When I’m in line in a public bathroom, I would rather let someone go ahead of me and use the handicap stall (and be that rude person) than do so myself.

• erinpac says:

I hate when someone at the front of the line has decided that’s the polite method and 20 non-disabled people are waiting while they wait on someone who’s had bad chicken and will be an hour in the one normal stall of three.
      I’m not sure it’s more polite to make the whole rest of the line either wait 3x as long or decide how many people they will ‘cut’ for the empty stall.

Use the stall last, let handicapped cut… but no mile long lines just to spare the possible future wheelchair guy a few seconds.

• Rain says:

This reminds me of when I was at the front of a long line a woman breezed past us all into the unoccupied handicapped stall, completely ignoring the out of order sign on the stall door.

Would love to know how that turned out for her.

27. Sian says:

When the other stalls are full. The handicap stall should be the last one to be used, but there’s no good reason not to use it when every other, ah, receptacle, is busy.

28. Emilliy says:

I love the size of the handicap stalls. I use them all the time they are the only ones that I can fit into while shopping with my 3 kids. There is no way that I can fit myself, a 5year old, a 3 years old and a baby seat into a regular stall.

29. NumberSix says:

Unless there is someone there who needs it, it’s just another stall to use.

30. JF says:

Considering that the baby changing stations are often located in the larger stall….. I’d say they are fair game.

31. ssnseawolf says:

It’s like bus seats. The handicap seats or benches are for everyone, unless a disabled person shows up.

• diasdiem says:

I wish it was possible to apply this to handicapped parking.

• waffles says:

How would that even work? When you’re using the stall you know when someone needs it. When you’re sitting on the bus seat you can see when someone needs it.

Do you park in a spot and sit around to watch your car?

• kujospam says:

I think the guy might be talking about those few places that have like 5 parking spaces and 1 of them is a handicapp. Like at a convenient store.

• psm321 says:

Perfect analogy, thanks

32. johnrhoward says:

It’s always ok. If it’s empty, use it. Those stalls are there to ensure there is one that will accomodate a disabled person, not to make it so they have an express line.

33. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Most handicap stalls I’ve seen lately have the baby-changing station inside.

I rarely use handicap stall, even though they’re usually the only stalls that I can walk inside, turn around, close the door, lock it, and then go about my business without having to lean precariously over the toilet. Whose idea was it to start designing bathrooms with 1 inch of clearance between the door and the bowl?

34. UltimateOutsider says:

If non-disabled people weren’t allowed to use them, the signs would make that clear. I’ve never seen a sign that seemed to say “disabled folks only.” I’ve only seen ones that implied, “If you’re disabled, this is the stall that will suit you best.”

I avoid using them unless things are dire, but I’ve never gotten the sense that they were off-limits.

35. msbask says:

The author of the ‘letter’ wrote “…. many disabled people also suffer from bladder- and bowel-control issues and are desperate to use the facilities when they enter a restroom”.

Many non-disabled people suffer from this as well. I’d bet that every single reader of Consumerist has suffered from this particular problem at at least one point in their lives. Should they forgo an empty handicapped stall on the 1 in 1,000 chance that a handicapped person might enter the restroom?

• harrier666 says:

And those with bladder issues who are handicapped wear adult diapers for such emergencies. I know my mother did, and she certainly wasn’t alone. For those of us that rarely have that situation, it can be more of an emergency as we aren’t as well prepared!

36. Thyme for an edit button says:

If they were like parking spaces, you could get fined and towed for sitting on the pot without a special handicapped decal.

37. Randell says:

I know this will sound rather snarky, but eww to taking dumps in public toilets. I couldn’t tell you the last time I took a crap in a public toilet. So to be a good consumerists, I will say, I make my shits at home

• womynist says:

This may be TMI, but I suffer from what they call “safe toilet syndrome”, as in, my body basically shuts down if the only restroom available is public. Going #1 is no problem, but #2, no matter how badly I have to do it, my body just won’t let me.

I prefer to make mine at home too. Or at least at a friend’s house.

• selianth says:

Okay, but keep in mind that us girls sit *every* time. (And to bring up another oft-argued topic, for the love of god ladies, SIT, don’t hover. Thank you.)

• Randell says:

I don’t understand how you girls live with those things. Ya gotta sit every time, you bleed and have cramps every month for years, and then at some point they want you to push a 6 or more pound human out of it. No thanks

38. sirwired says:

To those in the “these stalls are for everyone’s use” camp: Sometimes when you gotta go, you REALLY gotta go. (Come on, be honest… hasn’t that happened to you at some point? If for no other reason than to kneel before the porcelain throne after a bender) If you are in a wheelchair and the only handicapped stall is in use by somebody who just likes the space, and all the other stalls are free, that’s just a bad situation.

Does it happen often? No. But that doesn’t make it any easier on the poor guy (or gal) in a wheelchair.

• devwar says:

I’d think a handicapped person who may not have ease of access to a bathroom as much as a non-handicapped person would be able to hold it a lot better than most people. I really don’t see a handicapped person rolling into the bathroom exclaiming that they’re going to explode. And besides, if they are, they can knock.

• sirwired says:

Just because somebody can’t use their legs does not give them extreme powers of bladder and bowel control. They are just like the rest of us…

• guspaz says:

If they’re just like the rest of us, why do they need to get in sooner than the rest of us? Some of us who aren’t disabled have digestive conditions too. I’m sorry, but if I’m having an episode, that handicapped person can wait whether their need is urgent or not; their need is no more urgent than mine.

• JulesNoctambule says:

Try this — rent a wheelchair, take it into a bathroom stall and try getting yourself out of the chair and on to the toilet without using your legs at all. Oh, and add an arm brace to one arm for a little extra difficulty. No cheating, now! Then say how easy it is and how no extra time or effort is needed.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Actually, it’s the opposite. Some disabilities come with the unfortunate effect of making more difficult to hold it.

39. smo0 says:

… simply put – when all other stalls are full.
    If you’re a fat person going into a stall because there’s just “more room” you need to rethink your situation. Now, granted, plenty of fattys have those “go carts” plus handicapped stickers on their cars – if you’re one of those… GRAND! you successfully beat the system, go you – if you’re not, and there are other stalls open, kindly use one of those.
    I’ve been in that exact situation, I was in a fairly empty restroom – using a stall – I walk out to see a woman in a wheel chair waiting patiently, she smiled as I walked by, but then the one and only handicapped stall door opened and we saw a relatively larger woman tromping on out – and her smile went to a sneer, the woman walking out shrugged like she didn’t care as the handicapped lady rolled on into the stall passed her.

I was washing my hands, I couldn’t help but glare at the woman as she was fixing her hair and just gave me this snide “I don’t give a f*ck what you think” look.

I just rolled my eyes and went on my way. I try not to say anything anymore – because I know I won’t shut up and I come from an Italian family so, I can be fairly loud when I argue.

• pop top says:

So the woman used the stall that was easier for her to use due to her size and somehow that deserves a glare? You sure showed that hambeast!

• smo0 says:

Try telling that to the handicapped woman waiting for the stall. She didn’t deserve “the look” that woman gave her… so I returned the favor.. if this makes me a judgemental jerk then I would proudly wear that hat!

• newdogoldtricks says:

So the “larger” woman returned a sneer with a shrug of her shoulders, so she deserves a glare from you? Did you ever consider perhaps she was embarrassed to emerge from doing her private business to two people staring at her? What response would you have preferred, groveling and apologies? The woman chose an empty stall that was most comfortable for her, and while she was in there (for apparently a reasonable amount of time), a handicapped person showed up and politely waited for the same stall. Big deal. The fact that you think this story is even worth relating is telling.

• speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Didn’t the handicapped woman sneer first?

• pop top says:

You are such a revolutionary!

• kmw2 says:

All you’ve proven with this comment is that you’re a judgmental jerk. Congratulations.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

I knew the anti-fat bigots couldn’t resist responding to this. Please do the rest of us a favor and be an effin’ human being instead of just a judgmental blowhard, mmmmkmay?

• valleygirl_18002 says:

It sounds as if the larger woman was feeling guilty about using the handicap accessible stall (only after she saw the handicapped woman), otherwise her demeanor wouldn’t have changed to an “I don’t care” attitude.

I don’t care who uses the stall.

40. danmac says:

I’ll usually use a non-handicapped stall, but if the other stalls are in use, or if they’re filthy, I have no reservations about using it. I believe that accommodations must be made for people with disabilities, but everyone poops.

Incidentally, there’s a pretty funny episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David is “caught” by an irate handicapped man when he exits the handicapped stall in a restroom. Later in the episode, he returns the consternation when the handicapped man emerges from a normal stall (all the other stalls are taken).

• Baron Von Crogs says:

I’m glad someone posted that. It was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this article.

41. LawyerontheDL says:

My father is in a wheelchair and he would be the first to say use the stall if there isn’t someone there waiting for it. It’s not some sacred ground, it’s a roomy toilet stall. I’m not going to tackle a handicapped person to get there and certainly would let someone who needed that particular stall go ahead of me, but I’m not going to leave it open and suffer in some sort of odd homage to disabled people everywhere.

42. tungstencoil says:

Agree with the “use the stall if you want to” crowd:

1. There’s no law that limits them to exclusive use, like handicapped parking.
    2. Who are you to know why I might ‘need’ to use it?
    3. Many places (like my office), *only* have a handicapped stall. Extension of the “you can’t use it” logic would dictate that I couldn’t use this one. Of course that makes no sense, but it demonstrates that non-exclusivity of the handicapped stall.

Frankly, whether it’s “I want the space”, “I feel most comfortable there”, “it’s the only empty one”, or “I just feel like it”, it’s just a non-issue. The exception would be if there were some sort of line or other scarcity situation and a disabled person was waiting. In those circumstances, one should defer use of the handicapped stall to that person.

This actually came up at a Fortune-100 company I worked with; a disabled person complained to HR. They basically came back and said what I just did: no law, no obligation.

43. burgeab says:

I make my own poops at home.

44. Stages says:

I use the handicapped stall when I have my toddler with me, particularly if she needs to go too. Otherwise one of us would have to be outside of the stall with an open door while the other is using the bathroom, and that’s not really acceptable.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I have yet to see a public bathroom stall where a normal weight adult and a toddler would not fit.

I have been in this situation…waiting for the one handicapped stall with my disabled mother, desperate to pee, while some yummy mummy who doesn’t want to bang her elbows guides 3 of her tow-headed offspring through the complicated urination process.

It’s a real pain in the ass watching your mother trying to maintain her dignity and NOT wet herself waiting for that.

Selfish.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I have been in some that were barely large enough just for me, and I’m not big at all. If you get yourself in there with your kid, congrats, but you still have the close the door. If there was a way that doors could open accordian style, that would be so much better than the full size doors that swing out.

• selianth says:

I have seen plenty of public restrooms where the stalls are so incredibly tiny that a small adult barely fits in there, never mind adding a fidgety toddler. They’re not really that uncommon.

• hoi-polloi says:

You haven’t been to the bathrooms where I work. I’m 5’10″ and under 160. I have enough room to work with, but it would be a royal PITA if I had to coordinate both my 3-year-old and me using a standard stall.

I feel badly for anyone on the verge of having an accident. We can all relate to that discomfort and anxiety. Were I in your shoes, I would have politely informed the mom of the situation and asked for her to make way ASAP. Being in the stall and engaged with three kids, she was probably unaware of what was going on. As it is, I can’t blame a mom of three for going for the easiest option. Three kids in one stall makes for easier herding, and you’re not using all the toilets when someone comes in.

• kalaratri says:

Wait, you think 3 children would fit in a stall? Where the hell are these bathrooms and why aren’t they around here?

45. tedyc03 says:

Seems to me that elevators, ramps and other devices exist to aid the handicapped in accessing buildings. We don’t object to non-handicapped folks using these items, do we?

Some common courtesy might come in handy here but I don’t even see a reason for a debate.

46. SwoonOMatic says:

Where I work there is such a shortage of rest-rooms, the ladies room is fair use. Granted, it is a single bathroom bathroom (Not one with stalls.) Whatever is available.

47. EllenRose says:

It depends on your definition of ‘handicapped’. I’m not handicapped, but I’m old enough to *really* appreciate those grab bars when I’m getting back up. And I have a handicapped friend (blind) who might get lost in the larger handicapped stalls.

If you have a reason for using the handicap stalls, use them. If you don’t, don’t. And “all the other stalls are in use” counts as a reason.

48. hennese says:

I was in Paris many years ago and I had to do my business (I am a male) – and the men’s ..sit down… facility was out of order. I believe it was at a McDonalds or some fast food joint. I really had to do #2 and hunting around for another restaurant to do #2 was not an option. The womens restroom door was propped open and I could see the stall was empty, so what the hell, I went in – did #2 and promptly left. I didn’t even stop to wash my hands – i figured at least that time I had an excuse (I did go over to the mens room to wash though). The point is, if ya gotta poo, ya gotta poo. Just because there is a handicapped sign on it does not mean it is RESERVED for them, but it indicates that it is handicapped accessable. Screw anyone who says otherwise, they are just like to bitch about stuff.

49. CtrlAltTabby says:

Times I’ve considered it acceptable to use the handicap stall:

1) When I was extremely pregnant. Many of the restroom stalls don’t have space for a normal person to turn around, much less one with a soccer ball in the belly.

2) When I’m sharing a stall with my child… the same stalls that don’t fit a pregnant woman certainly don’t fit a mother and child.

3) When it’s the only available stall. It’s there to be used, and while I’ll pick a normal stall first, there shouldn’t be a line forming while people avoid the handicap stall. Lines in women’s restrooms are bad enough as is.

50. ospreyguy says:

I like to shit in comfort and as such use them where ever and when ever I can. Even exclusively at work, going to different floors if they are occupied.

51. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’ve used the hadicap stall too many times to count. The day a handicapped person actually catches me in there, I will apologize profusely and feel terrible. But that day has not yet happened…

52. ReverendLoki says:

Suddenly, the forums went quiet, except for one transmission, which was repeated continuously:

ALL THESE STALLS ARE YOURS EXCEPT THE HANDICAPPED ONE. ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE.

53. suez says:

I’ve been in some restrooms where the normal stalls are so tiny that even someone who’s not overweight can barely maneuver in them without banging elbows and knees, etc. In those cases I feel no guilt in using the bigger one.

Likewise if the other stalls are filty or out of TP.

Seriously, it’s not as if I’m going in with a book to camp for an hour. I’m in and out in less than a minute or two. There’s no sense in not utilizing it if the others are unacceptible.

54. mergatroy6 says:

The handicap stall is for everyone’s use. I won’t use it though, and not because I am trying to be a good person. The locks in the stalls are almost always of questionable function. If you you use the handicap stall the distance between the bowl and the door is substantial. I don’t want to have to get up during that critical time to hold the door closed while yelling “Occupdao, occupado”.

55. DanGarion says:

Everyone has to wait for the bathroom, the stall is only set up to make it easier for someone that is handicap can use it, not so they are the only ones allowed to use it. So in other words, it is always ok to use it.

56. MrsLopsided says:

I look for cleanliness and privacy. Depends what I had for lunch – but the bonus stall (handicap stall) is usually first choice. The bonus stall gives more room, security for your bags/coat, audio privacy, and you feel like royalty on the higher throne – but sometimes the door opens outwards & doesn’t have a good lock – can’t put your foot out to block. Failing that it’s a clean end stall with one wall. Cleanest stalls are usually #2 in 3 holer & #2 & #4 in a 5 holer.

Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

• PietroCrazy says:

I vaguely remember reading a study saying that #1 always tended to be the cleanest stall because everyone would go with #2.

57. Bhockzer says:

As an architectural draftsman who works, and lives, with an architect, I feel I can solve this query. The most important thing to remember is this; they are not handicapped stalls, they are handicapped ACCESSIBLE stalls. Because of this distinction, I personally feel there is no difference between using a standard stall and a handicapped accessible stall. I’ve actually been told by a couple of handicapped people that while they appreciate having a stall designed to accommodate those with disabilities, it’s almost as if they’re being segregated because they can only use that single stall.

So, just think of it this way, you don’t feel bad or like you’re in the wrong when you use a single room restroom that has handicapped rails on the walls behind and to the side of the toilet, do you? It’s not made just for handicapped people. It is however designed with their comfort and usability in mind as well as the use of comfort of able bodied people as well.

• captadam says:

Right. It’s all about universal accessibility. Design public spaces so that everybody can use them. All stalls should be made larger with features that allow them to be used by everybody. Of course, this is not always possible when older buildings are being retrofitted. But when new buildings are being constructed, there’s no excuse not to provide an extra foot or so.

58. Leo says:

Many bathrooms only have two stalls — one for the disabled, and one narrow one. It’d be absurd to think we should never use the large one on the off chance someone handicapped comes in. These aren’t reserved for them. If a disabled person has to wait in line to use the bathroom, so what? Congratulations, we’ve accomplished total equality for the disabled. Parking spaces are occupied for hours at a time while the people are inside, and it makes sense for them to be reserved. If anyone needs to make use of a bathroom stall for hours at a time, then whatever’s wrong should be considered enough of a temporary disability to cut them some slack. Otherwise the disabled person just has to wait like the rest of us for a few minutes.

59. HogwartsProfessor says:

1. If I go into the restroom and the only stall available is the handicapped stall, I will use it.

2. If there is another stall available besides the handicap one and someone in a wheelchair comes in, I would take the regular stall and let the wheelchair person have the big one.

3. If I’m already IN the stall (it was the only one at the time, changing a baby, etc) and someone in a wheelchair comes in after me, how will I know they are there? When I come out, then they are welcome to have it. If it’s the only stall available and an able-bodied person were there first and the wheelchair person let them go ahead, then that isn’t my business. I might say something if they were being a dick about it, though.

4. I will choose the handicap stall over a regular one if I’m changing clothes, like at the ice rink. UNLESS there is someone in there that needs to use it because the other stalls cannot accommodate them (and that includes a morbidly obese person), it’s fair game.

Parking spaces are different. ONLY those with a handicap tag or hanger are permitted to use those spaces; that is the law. I never park in those. It won’t kill me to walk a bit, as I’m fairly healthy and can use the exercise anyway. Sometimes I park farther back on purpose, as it’s easier to get out.

60. KixStar says:

I’m 9 months pregnant, and use them all the time. There are some places where the regular stalls are just too small for larger people.

And at work, where we only have 2 stalls, even when I’m not pregnant, I use the handicapped stall daily because there’s very few handicapped people who come in to use our bathrooms.

But I’m for anyone using them, but if there is someone in a wheelchair, or a mom with a little kid waiting in line, let them have the bigger stall first.

61. captadam says:

I’d argue that every stall should be accessible to all. Not my fault that some places only see fit to make one stall accessible.

If I walk into a restroom and only the handicapped stall is available, I’m going to use it. If a handicapped person comes in and needs to use it, he needs to wait his turn–just as I would wait MY turn if I walked in and every stall was available. Note, however, that I have very rarely been inside a men’s room when (a) it’s been full, or (b) a handicapped person comes in needing the stall.

I should add, too, that I need my space when I pee in a public restroom. It’s a psychological thing. I am usually able to do my business better in a handicapped stall, especially if the restroom is crowded. That stall accommodates my needs, so I’m going to use it. That’s why it’s there, right?

62. the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I’ve never seen a sign in any bathroom stating that a stall is for the use of handicapped people ONLY. The stalls are there to accommodate those who need it. They are not reserved for the sole use of the handicapped.

63. HeyThereKiller says:

I always use the handicapped stall, because one of my annoying pet peeves is bathroom stall doors that open inward…

Never once prevented/delayed or otherwise inconvenienced a handicapped person who needed to go.

64. peebozi says:

unless someone’s planning on moving into the handicap stall, it’s on a first come basis.

either way, the free market will work this one out.

65. MuffinSangria says:

We have 3 restrooms on our floor at work. A lady’s room (with handicap stall), a men’s room (with handicap stall), and a spacious private handicap bathroom. There is a kind of unspoken rule about it’s use. If you are just going for a quick pee, use the regular restrooms. If you need to do something that requires a little more privacy (the stalls in the other bathrooms provide no privacy, big gaps between doors and walls), use the private handicap bathroom. I feel absolutely no guilt or shame using it. It’s a handicap accessible bathroom, not a handicap only bathroom.

66. whatsherface says:

I always use the handicap stall at work. Why? Because it’s the only toilet that doesn’t flush 7 times while I’m still sitting on it doing my business. We have those stupid electronic auto-flushers that waste more water than regular toilets. The handi-cap stall has the only normal toilet.

67. scurvycapn says:

Here is footage from the Curb episode everyone is talking about.

I have to say that while Larry can come off like a jerk sometimes, I agree with almost everything he says.

68. backinpgh says:

If that isn’t the case, then does this mean I’m not allowed to use a handicap ramp to talk to the entrance of a building either?

I believe the accessible stalls are open to all unless and until a disabled person needs to use them.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

You can walk up the ramp if you like. I had to once when I fell over a dog and had trouble climbing the steps going into a university building where I had a class.

69. Rube Goldberg says:

The school that I used to work at renovated the bathrooms of one of their program house dorms a few years ago. Because of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the bathroom was required to be expanded to accommodate the larger stalls. As a result, one of the bedrooms had to be annexed, meaning two fewer students could participate in the program.

Never mind the fact that this renovation was on the second floor of a building that was virtually handicap inaccessible.

So yeah, I have no problem using a stall that is there out of compliance.

70. Buckus says:

The stalls are designed to accomodate handicapped, but it’s not reserved for handicapped persons. In my office there are no wheelchair-bound persons, so I feel comfortable using the handicapped stall. When in a public place, I tend to use the regular stalls unless there’s only a handicapped-accessable stall, or when the regular ones are all occupied.

71. SpendorTheCheap says:

I thought handicapped people just went in a colostomy bag?

• hoi-polloi says:

Over a series of years, my grandfather had a stoke, had his lower leg amputated due to poor circulation, and had his other leg amputated. He could use a toilet, but you needed some room to get him there.

72. runswithscissors says:

I think it is ok to use the handicapped stall if the others are full or left in a disgusting state.

i.e. if there are 4 stalls, 1 of which is handicapped and unoccupied, 2 are occupied, and 1 is normal and unoccupied then I’d use the normal one UNLESS is is a disgusting crap-fest which, grossly, men’s room stalls often are. In that case – handicapped stall.

Exception: There’s this one special handicapped washroom – not a stall but a small room that IS a stall, and it has all these ropes and pulleys and is for those who need all that equipment due to their handicap. I never use that room and won’t unless it’s that or my pants.

73. DrLumen says:

Handicap stalls are just another stall. They are fair game and I will use them at any time. While I’m not going to say I’m heartless and would make a handicap person wait, there is no real reason for them to go to the head of the line either.

One point to mention is that the local health department and architectural standards dictate how many restrooms/stalls a building/floor must have. When the ADA came along, a lot of the available stalls were eliminated or reduced to make more room. So, by regulations and standards, the handicap stalls are just counted as another stall. By the same token, there is not a ‘law’ that says a handicap person HAS to use a handicap parking place or a handicap stall. There is no reason they can’t use a standard urinal if they are able. I’m biting my tongue on this because there is a lot of nonsense in the ADA guidelines.

I guess putting braille instructions on a drive up ATM makes it only for handicapped persons?

74. Osi says:

It is ALWAYS ok to use the handicap bathroom. Most businesses in town here only have handicap bathrooms and no other kind .. so …

75. brianisthegreatest says:

If it’s empty, I’m probably gonna use it. If there are people in the other stalls, I’ll probably use it. I have never had a situation where I was in a bathroom and a disabled person was in need of the stall. They usually have the personal sinks and mirror, much more convenient.

76. Nuc says:

As many others have said….a stall is a stall is a stall. It’s ACCESSIBLE, not reserved.

77. ichiban1081 says:

I love those stalls because they are spacious and I don’t feel boxed in but I only use them if the other ones are occupied. Those bars are great for holding onto when you have to brace yourself after eating Mexican or Thai food.

78. kunfushuss says:

I use the handicap stall for probably two-thirds of my seated business. Why? I work on a floor of probably 100 healthy individuals, 60 of which are men. at any point during a workday, there may be 1-3 men in the bathroom, few of whom must be seated for relief.

The statistical probability of someone coming in to the bathroom who requires that seat more than I is very low… there must be a handicapped visitor on the floor who has business to do at the exact time I do. Seriously, not happening.

Does claustrophobia count as a handicap? If so, I’ll claim that.

79. kcvaliant says:

I just wish those so called handicap people would actually use their parking spaces.. Literally their will be two equally spaced spots from the entrance and the guy with the handicap parkign sticker parks in the normal spot..

Then at work we have some guy in a small european sports car that parks in the handicap.. Obvisously your vision and reaction time is good enough for the sports car, and your legs are strong enough to get in and out of that lil car you are crammed in, wtf do you need a handicap tag for??

Wish there was a way to see if these people are actually really handicapped or just stole a tag or made up a reason for a plate..

• magnetic says:

You get a major major ticket for swiping and using a disabled placard. If you found out someone was cheating, what would you really do?

80. harrier666 says:

My mother was in a wheelchair for much of her life. Not once did I hear her complain about waiting for a stall. If it is in use, it’s in use. It’s not as if you are waiting for hours on end. But then, my mother was an extraordinary woman. Because of this, I never gave a second thought to using a handicapped stall.

I was once in a bathroom at work, a flight school. We rarely had handicapped people, as you might guess. Well, when I went in the stalls were full so I took the handicapped stall. By the time the handicapped woman came in, at least one other was empty. She was beating on the door as I finished up. Quite fun.

She gave me an earful. I told her about my mother and about being treated equally. When she came out, I (somewhat immaturely) made it a point to open every door for her, sweep a broom in front of her as she walked (btw, no noticeable handicap besides a slight limp), and even offered to carry her purse. It wasn’t the most adult thing I’ve ever done, but I was pretty angry at how she had reacted. It is a bathroom. The stalls have special equipment to help those who have difficulty use the facilities. It isn’t a time pressure thing (at least, in general, no more often than for the rest of us). Handicapped parking stalls are closer to the building, making it easier for someone with difficulty to walk to the door. If we were waiting in our cars and able to move quickly, I wouldn’t see a problem with being in those either. But we leave our cars and don’t see who else comes or goes.

As for the “if a handicapped person needs to go, and the stall is taken”… well, that is a human condition we all deal with. Most handicapped persons, such as my mother, wear adult diapers for such emergencies if they occur often. Most handicapped people, in my experience, are patient and not concerned about these little things. They have a great view into what is important in life. If it is someone, such as in this story, who is just heavy, they don’t have the same viewpoint as those who have been handicapped by something out of their control.

81. SpongeBathSquarePants says:

I consider these to be the handicap/mom with kids stalls. You’d think that with such a large segment of our population being children, we’d do a bit more to accommodate their needs too!

82. harrier666 says:

Not all handicaps are visible, either. A friend of mine is severely phobic. She can only use a restroom if she doesn’t have to touch much at all. She will always use the handicapped stall, or she’ll hold it. It’s never been a problem for her to wait, nor has she had problems with anyone glaring at her for using it (I brought this story up to her to get her opinion). I don’t think this is that big of a deal to all but a very few people that will argue about anything.

83. Blious says:

I have used it when I had to go badly and there was absolutely in the store outside of 2-3 other customers who werent using the bathroom. No big deal

84. Gandalf the Grey says:

It’s just another stall.

I usually use them when I need to use a stall in public because the toilets are almost always higher. I have hip issues from when I wrecked my motorbike a few years ago, so the extra height is a big advantage, and I don’t hurt so much when I get up.

If there was someone who needed the specialized facilities, I would choose another stall in a heartbeat.

One thing to remember, is that just because you can’t see a person’s handicap, doesn’t mean it’s not there. Except on the extremely cold days of winter, I don’t walk like I have hip issues, but I can sure as hell feel it when I do certain things, like sit down or stand up.

85. ElleAnn says:

I’m always tempted to use the handicap restrooms at work because they have super sensitive automatic flush toilets (which frankly make me nervous) and at least in the big stall I can pull up my pants without the toilet flushing 2-3 times.

86. MyTQuinn says:

Restroom stalls are for everyone. Just because some of them are designed to accommodate people who need more than the basics doesn’t mean they are reserved for any one group. I used them frequently when my kids were young and needed help. Quite often these stalls are where the baby changing stations are located.

Also, the height of the seat in these stalls is uncomfortably high, so I avoid them whenever possible.

87. Dyscord says:

I use them mostly because the others are too small. Handicap accessible doesn’t always mean handicap only, unlike parking spaces

88. Megladon says:

All that extra leg room, and you got bars in there to help you push out a load… I dont know about you but i’ve had some big ones that have made my legs shake when i got up, and i’m glad the bars were there for that too. To let these go unused would be sad. And its not like you need to hang a sticker saying your handicaped to use the stall when you go in, so this is very different then parking, as far as bio goes, its fair game.

89. donopolis says:

I find it interesting that people tend to forget that Handicap Accessible parking was originally intended for the accommodation of vans with lifts. It was not just so people who may not walk real well could get closer to the store. That is a much more recent development.

and just to stay on topic…if the stall is open it is fair game…and wheelchair users get to the front out of courtesy.

90. Span_Wolf says:

A handicap bathroom is just a bathroom until a handicap person needs to use it.

91. davidc says:

Excuse me … just cause your Handicapped doesn’t mean you don’t have to wait in line like the rest of us.

The stalls are there so the handicapped have a place to relieve themselves … if they have wait till you are done, then so be it.

Oh wait, you mean the stalls are there so they don’t have to wait? so I guess the store needs to hire somebody to make sure they only allow in 1 handicapped person per stall because heavens forbid that 2 handicapped people want to use the same stall at the same time.

OMG a handicapped person being treated the same as the rest of us? What is the world coming to?

• JulesNoctambule says:

Just for kicks, rent a wheelchair, drink a few pints of water until your bladder is about to go, take the chair into a public bathroom and attempt to get from the chair on to the toilet without using your legs at all. So quick and easy, right? No trouble at all, and certainly no need to allow extra time, of course! No reason at all that a disabled person might need to get to the bathroom before you do.

92. common_sense84 says:

Easy. When it’s the only one with toilet paper. When it’s the only one empty. When it’s the only one not covered in poo. When you want to stretch out a little. etc.

Basically whenever you want.

93. DeeJayQueue says:

So what kind of malarkey is this? We’re not allowed to use the handicapped stalls in the bathrooms now? I suppose we’re not supposed to walk up the wheelchair ramps with our baggage either. And forget about pushing the buttons that make the doors open. And you are going right to hell if you try to use the little ramp at the corner to walk down instead of stepping off the curb at a crosswalk.

I have my own issues with handicapped parking spaces and their abuses, but at least there’s a law that keeps them open. That’s about the only handicapped-accessible concession that there is a law to keep able-bodied people off of though. I use the handicapped stall all the time in the bathroom. I don’t feel bad about it because I generally only use the bathroom when it’s not crowded because I’m poop-shy.

94. Santas Little Helper says:

First come, first serve.

95. BK31 says:

To me that’s like saying I can’t use the ramp cut in the sidewalk at a crosswalk because its a handicapped ramp. The HC stalls are just HC accessible to meet the inclusive design requirements of most building codes and there are no laws governing its use. There are building codes and ADA codes saying that they need to be included in the buildings, but I don’t think its rude to use the stall. There are plenty other things to make things easier for handicapped people to access like lower service counters, ATM’s, drinking fountains etc, that we all use on a regular basis.
    Now I’m not saying there aren’t people out there that will be dicks and hog the facilities, but if you’re going about your normal business there’s no issue to me.

96. LostTurntable says:

I’m 6’6”. Nine times out of 10 I can’t sit in the regular stall, the toilet paper dispenser hits my knee. So it’s either let me use the handicapped stall or let me crap on the floor.

97. whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

You know, I wrote a whole thing about able people having just as much right to use the big stalls as anyone else.. then I realized that, now that there’s a motorlady on my floor, I’ve been less inclined to use the handicapped stall.

So yeah, I guess my subconscious believes that able people should use that stall only if there is a specific reason, such as: It’s the only one available, the others are badly fouled, you’re at B&N and you have to stand on the toilet to open the door, or you need to change clothes.

98. Mary says:

Oh please, this is nothing like parking unless you like to spend two hours in the stall reading a novel or something. You don’t park in a handicapped parking space because you’ll likely be there for a long time, in which it is easily conceivable that a handicapped person would come by and require the space, and not be able to sit in their car for a moment until you’re done.

If you use a handicapped restroom, you’re likely to be in there for a few minutes, tops. Then you’ll be gone. In that amount of time, the likelihood of ANYONE entering the restroom at all is slim, and the likelihood of a handicapped person requiring the stall being made to wait is even tinier.

You should probably avoid using it if you’re at all comfortable or able to use the other stalls, yes. But if you’re not comfortable in them or have an issue with them, then use the handicapped stall. Just don’t sit in there and play Scrabble on your iPhone for twenty minutes.

99. K2 says:

If I look around and don’t see a handicap person; I (you know, the one with the “invisible” handicap), will use the handicap bathroom. If I’m in areas where there is an increased likelihood of someone actually needing it (the mall, an airport, a line), I don’t.

Also, some retrofitted bathrooms don’t provide enough room in the normal stalls for some non-handicapped to do their business (I’m referring to Fluffy, not Jumbo).

It comes down to common sense and common courtesy.

100. SphinxRB says:

I use them sometimes. I’m tall (not fat), they are easier for me to use. Trying to manuver in those cramped regular stalls is difficult. I have never had an issue of a person needing it while I was in there. If all others are full, and you need to go, your going to use it. I agree also, the stall I have to touch the least amount of surfaces, is the one I’m going to use.

101. Moosenogger says:

I think it’s perfectly acceptable to use a handicap bathroom stall if there isn’t a handicapped person waiting to use it. Why should I have to stand around and possibly wet myself because I waited too long after drinking a large soda? If the stall is there, available, and no one handicapped needs to use it, then I’ll happily hop in there.

102. Wireless Joe says:

The handicapped stall is often where an establishment puts the changing table for small children. It’s also the only stall that will accommodate a parent with a small child who still needs help on the potty; It’s ok to use, even if neither one of them are handicapped.

103. Unicorn-Chaser says:

I like holding onto the side bars, kick my legs back and do dips while I pee. Much more fun than just standing there. So I always make it a point to use the monkey bars stall.

104. cmdr.sass says:

They’re handicap-accessible, not handicap-only.

105. MedicallyNeedy says:

If you are in a wheelchair and there is a line… you get to be next.

106. lakecountrydave says:

Establishments are required to have handicapped accessible restroom so that a disabled person can use the facilities. They are not required to provide greater access only equal access. If there is a line the disabled person needs to find the end of it and wait like everyone else. My oldest and dearest friend (RIP) was wheelchair bound, and he openly despised any special treatment. Treat a handicapped person just like any other person you might encounter. If you are a rude dbag to everyone else, then be a rude dbag to the handicapped as well. Oh yeah, grow up you rude dbag:)

107. Tomas says:

The stalls with extra space and SAFETY GRIP BARS are indeed intended for use by the handicapped and disabled who can be totally unable to use the other stalls, but sadly their use is not protected by law as the parking spots are.

Being handicapped, I do find it annoying when I need to use the only stall I can in a restroom, it is the only stall occupied, most often by an able bodied person who has no need for the extra features placed in that stall for our use.

I with those stalls were protected by law for our exclusive use – or that ALL stalls were created as handicapped usable stalls…

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

or that ALL stalls were created as handicapped usable stalls…

I find the height of the toilet in handicapped stalls problematic. The regular stalls are more comfortable for me, assuming the regular stalls aren’t tiny. (And I’ve seen some TINY stalls: ones small enough to give people who aren’t fat at all trouble, small enough that the tissue actually has to be located above your head for there to be room for it.)

108. polyeaster says:

i like the big stall bc touching the walls of other stalls by accident creeps me out. i don’t take so long that a handicapped person would be in dire need.

109. The Marionette says:

I figure it this way, there are buildings which the main doorways (that both disabled and abled people can walk/wheel through) but there’s no debate on if we can use those. Handicap restrooms (stalls) are the same, it’s just handicap accessible. Movie theaters have handicap accessible seats, you’re free to sit in them, but the theaters usually have a policy that if you’re sitting in it and a handicap person needs to use it then you must move to a different seat, which there WILL be one. Anyways personally I don’t care, even though I’m not handicap but if I were I probably still wouldn’t.

110. Jerem43 says:

This has been going on her column since her mother was writing it. And no, the stall is accessible, not reserved. Too often I have seen a case of entitlement with handicapped people.

I have even been yelled at because the restaurant I worked in did not have handicapped stalls in the bathrooms. The building was over forty years old and exempt from the ADA because it was a privately owned structure built before 1973. The woman refused to accept that were exemptions in the ADA and vowed to have us shut downed and fined out of existence, despite us having a valid occupancy certificate that stated exempt on it.

I would have loved to seen her face when the building inspector explained that are exemptions in the ADA for private businesses. Sometimes the Republicans do get things right…

111. Ce J says:

I am a mom of two little ones and I have to use the larger stall when I have both kids with me and/or the stroller. My choice would be to leave my children unsupervised. I always offer it if there is someone who needs it more than me. And I have never witnessed anyone who did not defer to those individuals.

112. Jerem43 says:

Also, the last time this was addressed the person who wrote in expected the right to use the handicapped stall when ever she wanted. My issue is that these stalls are designed to be accessed by the handicapped and not reserved for them.

In the first series of letters under the original Abby, the handicapped woman expected others to move out of the way so she could have exclusive access to the HP stall, despite their being a line. She stated that as a handicapped person, she was entitled to use the stall despite others with a pressing need to go. This isn’t the purpose of the ADA, the ADA is designed to give the handicapped the same rights as others not exclusive ones. Handicapped parking spaces are near the front of buildings because many people with disabilities simply cannot go large distances like an able-bodied person can. Handicapped accessible doorways and ramps are there for the same reason, however this does not mean the able-bodied cannot use these features.

Also, have you noticed that the handicapped stalls in many locations also double as a family accessible stall? It has the room to accommodate the fold out baby decks for people with children to change their kid’s soiled diapers. Do we tell them to screw off? What if there is a line, are we supposed to not use the stall because a handicapped person might come in? If there was a handicapped person in line at a crowded place, common courtesy would be to allow them to use the stall when it opened up, not move them to the front of the line just because of a disability

113. Carlee says:

I like the “accessible/senior citizen seat on the bus” analogy.

If you want to use the handicap stall, use it. Assuming that you aren’t going to be taking a long time in there (and by that, I don’t mean if you actually need to take a long time), since someone who may need to use the handicap stall may come along.

114. FrankReality says:

All of our restrooms at work are handicapped accessible and there are no handicapped only restrooms.

So, even though I’m not handicapped, when I need a stall I go into the HC one. First, the seat is higher and there are hand rails which makes it much easier for my older wearing-out arthitic body to get down and back up. Second the HC stalls are rather spacious and are much easier for me since I’m claustrophobic. Third, the bigger stalls have much better ventilation.

Demand for the HC stalls is very low, so I’ve never prevented a handicapped person from actually using one.

One other point while talking about HC restrooms. I find it strange that different states have different code for handicapped accessible facilities – in my state, the men’s rooms require the short style of urinals, one at normal height, and one at a lower, wheelchair accessible height. Believe it or not, recently someone filed a complaint with the state because one of the urinals was 1/2 inch too high.

The states surrounding us have urinals that reach the floor, thus there is no need for a normal height one and a second short one – one works for all. Go figure.

115. Not Given says:

They are not reserved. There are no handicapped permits for them. They put changing tables in some of them and sometimes a little seat to strap a small child into. Some restrooms only have one stall so it has to be big enough to accomodate whatever handicap someone might have. That doesn’t mean someone else can’t use it. Also if I’m close to having an accident I will run anyone down to avoid it. Otherwise if there is a line for the stalls and a handicapped person enters they should go to the front of the line for that stall but it should not be left empty when there is a line.

116. jamar0303 says:

Where I live there are more than a few places where the handicaped stall is the only stall with a proper sit-down toilet. And when I use a hole-in-the-floor dealie things go… badly. So I go for it whenever it’s available.

117. chaesar says:

my office men’s room has three stalls, one is handicapped accessible, I use it all the time because its the size of an efficiency apartment, about twice as big as my cubicle, which gives me a little more piece of mind when I poop

118. denisem says:

The restrooms are handicapped accessible, not handicapped exclusive. The handicapped get first dips on them and when a handicapped person is not present those stall can be used.

Does anyone really think a waiting line of women are going to leave every handicapped stall empty while the line slowly moves along just in case someone handicapped happens by? Not going to happen.

119. DaveBoy says:

It is no different than a hotel room for handicap. If there is not handicapped person, the hotel will put someone else in the room if they need it. Use the stall and enjoy

120. kairi2 says:

I ALWAYS use the handicapped stalls and never think twice about it. All about the extra space and not ashamed to admit it. I don’t like strangers pissing 10 inches from me. Plus, these stalls are usually the last ones, and given I was a back of the bus and back of the classroom type of girl, it just makes sense. The handicapped stall is the corner office of the restroom world.

121. mk says:

Wow, hot button topic. So here are some thoughts from a disabled person who has to use the accessible stalls. The idea behind the accessible movement is to make the world easier for more people to navigate. Curb cuts make it so wheelchair users can easily traverse a city, but they also make it easier to push a stroller or for little kids to ride their bikes out of traffic. They are not reserved for the exclusive use of the disabled.

Accessible toilets make it so more people can enjoy the public environments. If you are too tall, too phobic, need to corral your toddlers, or just too creaky to get up an down on the regular seat please use the accessible toilet. It is there to make your life easier. It is not reserved for the exclusive use of the disabled.

If there is a line for use of the facilities and you are the next in line for the disabled stall and you do not need the assistance it provides it is polite to ask if anyone else needs that stall. If there are no takers, then go ahead and use the stall.

As for the rather nasty complaints about fat people using the toilet. I have a muscle disease, there is nothing visual to mark me as disabled, I look pretty normal. Well except for all the extra weight you put on when your physical activities are curtailed. Combine that with some nasty drugs I have to take for my condition and I am the fat woman who got sneered at for using the disabled toilet. I get this rude treatment all the time. I finally just make a big show of rapping on my left leg. The hollow ringing sound usually stops the nasty comments.

You can not judge how disabled someone is by looking.

122. damageddude says:

Going to the bathroom in a handicapped stall is not the same as parking your car in a handicapped spot. While you can always wait for a regular spot to open up or park in the back of the lot, sometimes when you gotta go to the bathroom, you gotta go.

A bathroom is a bathroom — some are handicapped accessible some aren’t (and I’ve been to plenty of places with one unisex bathroom that just happens to be wheelchair accessible). In my office there would only be one stall if the handicapped one were unavailable. I personally don’t like using the handicapped stall as I find the toilet is higher in many places and not as comfortable.

123. DragonThermo says:

As for single-hole restrooms, well, if you have no choice, you have no choice.

For multiple-hole restrooms, if one does not require the extra room and higher seat (e.g., arthritis in the knees), use one of the other stalls.

If no other stalls are available, then have no choice, but don’t dawdle.

Personally, I do feel guilty using the handicap stall if all others are not available, but at that point, the Call of Nature has a higher priority, but I do try to hurry.

124. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I see them as handicapped accessible, not reserved for the handicapped. In addition, in my entire life of 37 years, I have never once been in a bathroom where someone handicapped was actually using the stall. My husband says the same thing. He has never been in the bathroom and seen a handicapped person using the stall while he was in there.

I only use them if they are the last stall available, or if I have my small child with me. I don’t think they should sit there empty, not being used when I really have to go pee or am having an IBS attack and it is the only bathroom to use.

125. JiminyChristmas says:

I’m an architect who works with the accessibility code every day. Anyone can use any stall. This is not an arguable point.

The pavement markings and signs that mark handicap stalls? The accessibility code describes in detail what and where those things are supposed to be, and the criminal code sets the penalties for using the stalls without permit.

There is absolutely nothing in any code anywhere that says who can and cannot use accessible toilet facilities.

Think about it and the answer is right there in the word accessible. We have these laws so people can have access to public accommodations. The laws aren’t to give them a pass to the front of the line, just access.

126. farker says:

Obviously the only time men use stalls is if they need to take the Browns to the Super Bowl…that being said, it isn’t a big deal in men’s restrooms.

Even so, I would only use a handicapped stall if A) all the other stalls were occupied or B) there was a normal-sized stall, but it was dirty enough that I would rather use the handicapped stall.

I think that these guidelines would be pretty appropriate for women too.

127. quaru says:

As a handicapped person, with a service dog, I’ll use a regular stall if some prick is in the handicapped stall, but often that involves my dog sitting on their feet. I’ve gone into restrooms with several stalls, all empty, except the one handicapped stall.. Also, mind you I’m 6.5 feet tall, with a service dog. Those normal size stalls with me and my dog squeezed in is quite funny.

On a side note, in Michigan, there are rest-stops that have a “handicapped bathroom” When I was moving down state earlier this year, the mens room was closed, being re-routed to the handicapped room. Since it was “off season” this was mostly fine. Except there was some woman in the handicapped stall for like, 10 mins. Being rude is being rude.

• the_wiggle says:

yes it is. including your assumption that the woman was being rude by deliberately making you wait 10 minutes.

ever had the Period Flood from Hell? IBS? Food poisoning? UTI? any of these can make for a lengthy stay.

128. KIPLING says:

Its called “universal access” for a reason, and that is the intent of the building code.

Ever been in a single use toilet room? The *building code* requires it to be “accessible” to all, meaning that handicap people are able to use it; its not for their use only….. the same thing applies to those stupid ramps outside; anyone can walk on them. It would be the dumbest thing ever if every building that had a toilet room, had to have a completely separate toilet room for handicap people, those individuals make up far less than 10% of the population, and do you see anyone carrying around some kind of handicap card to use the potty? NO.

Also, as far as toilet rooms /restrooms with multiple stalls, when they are occupied we all have to wait our turn, most humans dont take more than say 1-2 minutes to do their business most of the time, maybe females take longer.

If all the stalls where being used, I would have to wait my turn just like the next guy, and so would they.

In an ideal world, All restrooms would have all toilets 100% accessible to all people, meaning every toilet would essentially be a handicap toilet, but the law (building code) only requires that at least 1 be provided for each sex. Making all of them accessible is a waste of valuable space and money for most building owners, is your office a celebration of where people take a poopie, or is it dedicated more to the spaces where they work and do productive activities.

129. the_wiggle says:

pee or worse on the floor or use the empty stall?

no brainer folks.

130. EZ says:

There’s only 2 stalls in our office with 2 urinals as well. If i have to drop a deuce and stall 1 is in use, i’m sure as hell gonna use the handi-stall. All it is is wider with a drop down bar that lets you bear down and pass that mother past your cheeks with the quickness.

131. Benedictum says:

I use it whenever I feel like it.

But then again, I’m handicapped so…

I try not to park in handicap parking even though i have a permit though, if I feel well enough to get to the doors from a normal spot. Rather someone worse off get the closer parking. Pisses me off when I see folks that aren’t really handicapped using em too.