What Would You Do With A Forklift Full Of Wheat Thins?

Have you seen Nabisco’s new attempt to engage with customers through those social networking thingies that all the kids are into? They’re the latest brand to reach out through social media and find customers who are already talking about their brand, then engage with them. In completely ridiculous ways. Take, for example, the woman whose mournful Facebook post about running out of Wheat Thins led to the delivery of more Wheat Thins than one person could ever eat.

The commercial isn’t entirely accurate: according to its star, the original post was on Facebook, not Twitter.

Does this kind of marketing make sense? More importantly, what brands do you wish were trolling social networks, giving away piles of stuff?

Unsuspecting Tweeter Gets Truckload of Wheat Thins [YouTube]

Comments

1. dragonfire81 says:

I tend to keep most commercial entities OFF my social networks.

• mac-phisto says:

i usually do as well, but i admit that i broke my own rule when i came across this: http://www.hoagiefest.com/

it’s just too goddamn fun to pass up.

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

Well, if I knew they were going to deliver a palette of Wheat Thins…

Sort of reminds me of this, though, and then I can’t stop laughing.

2. MamaBug says:

i’m addicted to monster energy drinks….mmmm…truckload of over-caffeinated goodness!

I do like their “hit-and-run” technique.
    “here’s a shit-ton of wheat thins! BYE!”

3. tgrwillki says:

I wouldn’t mind if Bang & Olufssen Showed up at my door and delivered a palette of their expensive electronics.

4. KillerBee says:

I would be more concerned about my address being so readily available to anyone reading my tweets. (I’m not on Twitter, btw)

5. jo3lr0ck5 says:

I love wheat thins..I eat them with mustard and cheese…separately though.

6. mythago says:

Er….no, this marketing doesn’t make sense. It’s the zucchini method. Somebody gets a truckful of Wheat Thins, wow that’s awesome I will never want for Wheat Thins, and a couple months they’re sick of Wheat Thins later all their friends hide when they ring the doorbell because “goddamnit, here comes Laura trying to foist off more Wheat Thins on us”.

The obvious answer is give them away to a food bank.

7. nbs2 says:

If Nabisco is running around handing snacks out, I could use a few pallets of Oreos.

But, I’d rather have Tastykake-man stop by with chocolate cupcakes, the Dublin Doctor bring by several kegs worth of Dublin Dr. Pepper, some Reese’s for the missus, and some Pepperidge Farm Goldfish for the kid.

Oh! And if Barbara could bring by a TARDIS-ful of Puffins, that would be good too.

8. DaWezl says:

Sigh…I would love for Turtle mountain to deliver me a case or two of Coconut Milk Ice Cream–especially the Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor that I can’t get around here.

I’d also love for Utz to deliver me a case or two of Crab Chips, for the same reason–it’s just not available here anymore. :(

I don’t think I would want a whole pallet full of either though–especially the ice cream. That might get messy!

9. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

woot! did the same thing when they delivered a pallet of action figures to someone’s house as part of their BoC.

10. Rocket says:

Where in the world is she gunna store all of that? And how did they get her address?

• Draygonia says:

Yeah, she didn’t seem too surprised by the delivery, lmao..

I discard this as a PR stunt.

11. chaesar says:

donate most to food banks, then buy five gallons of hummus

12. milkcake says:

I wish Cash4Gold was giving out blocks of gold as big as the one shown in the video.

13. The Marionette says:

They’re probably old

14. WhoLikesPie? says:

Ahhh, I’m out of beautiful exotic lingerie models… my life is over?

c’mooooooon work!

15. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

I stand behind my No Social Networking — They’re not social…they’re (points above) Marketing Networks.

16. snarkysniff says:

I got a $200 coleman giftcard for posting that I was going to be a first time camper on facebook!

• cash_da_pibble says:

That is so awesome-Camping stuff can get expensive fast, and Coleman is a nice brand! Pick yourself up a lantern, a stove and a nice tent!

17. erinpac says:

I could do with a forklift of Propel in my garage.

I don’t think Wheat Thins would really store that long, would they?… :-/

18. cmdr.sass says:

For the target demographic, this stunt will get more eyeballs than a commercial in prime time for less than 0.01% of the cost. It absolutely makes sense.

19. coren says:

Ok, I might be crazy, but I swear I saw this article way earlier this morning. Am I insane?

20. Bob says:

So, what’s wrong? She ran out of Wheat Thins and now they sent her a lifetime supply.

Now let her try to run of Wheat Thins again!

21. Thyme for an edit button says:

I think it is funny.

I think we all have products we are loyal to and would find it rad to get a pallet of that product. I am sure this woman will enjoy the Wheat Thins and end up giving away a lot of them as well.

Now, if only I could get a pallet of Pirate’s Booty”

22. Billy Everyteen says:

Jealous this guy is. Wheat Thins and regular Triscuits are delicious. I can go through a whole box of Triscuits in a sitting. That is a whole lot fiber!

23. cash_da_pibble says:

Oh man, I love Yan-Yan. All kinds of Yan-Yan. But I never can find any Yan-Yan. If someone dropped off a full pallet of Yan-Yan at my house, I would be so happy. I would give Yan-Yan to everyone I met to open them up to the wonderful yumminess that is Yan-Yan. I fI could eat Yan-Yan every day, i woudl be so happy, and would never get sick of Yan-Yan.

Yan-Yan.
    Yan-Yan.
    Yan-Yan.

( if they’re going for quantity, i win!)

24. selianth says:

I would have seen if I could traded the pallet of Wheat Thins for the guy delivering them. Yummm.

25. psm321 says:

I’m out of wheat thins :(

26. Dandelion says:

(sighs) Tony Chachere’s Dirty Rice Mix. I love the stuff, but you can’t BUY it on the Canadian West Coast. I get my friends in the States to send it to me every now and then, and I make do with Zatarain’s.

They could drop a pallet of the stuff in my driveway, and I’d be happy.

27. Talisker says:

I’d love to be able to give a pallet of Wheat Thins to my local food bank.

28. CalicoGal says:

SOOO SADDDDDDDD!!!!

I’m ALL OUT of HARIBO GUMMI PEACHES, I said HARIBO GUMMI PEACHES!!!!

*sob*sob*boo*hoo….

29. Starfury says:

I wouldn’t mind if Ferrari decided to drop a car off at my place.

30. Milehimama says:

hmmm must look up who tweets for Godiva.

31. ekthesi says:

Hmm…I’m all out of cute nurses, Nabisco…my life is over.

(crosses fingers)

32. anime_runs_my_life says:

Trade ‘em in for Triscuts because I can’t stand Wheat Thins. They always leave a pasty taste in my mouth. Bleh!

33. MongoAngryMongoSmash says:

What in the name of Sandy Duncan’s eye is she going to do with all those Wheat Thins? Hmm, become a piece of marketing?

Dear PNC, I’ve officially run out of money. I has a sad. :(

34. Osi says:

I see something much better then Wheat Thins in that picture ..

35. howie_in_az says:

I wish Ferrari would do this.

For me.

Repeatedly.

36. brianisthegreatest says:

I would eat them–all of them.

37. madanthony says:

I want to know where I can get a bright-yellow ’80′s Japanese panel van like theirs.

38. CapitalC says:

“You know what we should do instead of donating goods to foodbanks or shelters? Let’s go and deliver an entire skid of the stuff to someone who made a possibly sarcastic comment on Twitter!”

Yeah, genius.

39. Donathius says:

I’d be pretty happy if Apple showed up at my door with a palette of…well…just about anything they make, really.

40. Snaptastic says:

If I got a pallet of Wheat Thins Vermont Cheddar Artisan Crackers, I would wet myself with glee.

41. BytheSea says:

My family could go through those in a couple months. We are cheese eaters, and cheese needs a tiny edible holder to go from the plate to the gaping maw.

I know this is bad, but I wish I’d get a pallett of water bottles. Every time I try to reuse them, I lose the lid or leave it at work, or step on it, or knock it somewhere gross, or forget I opened one and have to open another. At least I recycle.