Here We Go Again: This Time The Toyotas Have Defective Engines

Toyota says that 270,000 cars worldwide, including Lexus sedans, have potentially faulty engines. NHTSA says that the company has not formally notified the agency of a recall, but a supposedly reputable Japanese newspaper says that the company plans to inform government agencies of the issue on Monday.

Apparently the defective engines can stall while the car is moving. The AP says that a US Toyota spokesperson would not confirm that a recall is planned.

Toyota says 270,000 vehicles have faulty engines [AP]

Comments

1. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Well, there’s your problem. The stalling engines were supposed to go into the cars with the stuck pedals.

2. annodyne says:

Gee, isn’t this the opposite problem from what most have complained of?

3. smo0 says:

My guess is… it’s time for an overhaul and redesign?

Of course they’d have to bring back their safety inspections…. *pencils that into the budget*

4. Big Ant says:

“Apparently the defective engines can stall while the car is moving”

Probably just the hackers hacking your engine. +1 for insecure engine computers.

5. sonneillon says:

This is an opportunity for GM and Ford to come out with some solid car designs and incentives and move to capitalize on market share. They couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present. Unfortunately I have the feeling that they are going to just try to pitch their failed designs again just harder.

For disclosures sake I do own a Chevy Cobalt.

• tbax929 says:

My sister has a Cobalt in bright yellow. It’s adorable, and I really enjoy driving it (I took it on a recent trek to Phoenix). I have an Equinox that I can’t say enough good things about. I think GM is making good products, they just have to overcome years of making shitty ones. There are folks who’d still buy a Toyota over a GM car. That’s years of GM quality issues GM has to overcome (even if it’s just in perception).

• sonneillon says:

Don’t get me wrong I do like my Cobalt, it was priced right and has all the features that I wanted but GM has like 8 cars that sell decently and a pile of ones that are crap.

• jurupa says:

Um what do you think Ford has been doing for like the past couple of years? Making good cars that people actually want to buy. GM still has yet to learn from their mistakes and for the most part is still trying to operate like old GM even tho they are now a shadow of their former selves.

• sonneillon says:

Ford is making some moves but neither Ford or GM is going about it in a bold way. This is the time to strike. They should have started going at it when the break issue first came up. Now with the engine issue it is time for them to push out some of their new vehicles and go hard at it. GM has the chevy volt. Use that to go heads up with the prius.

• AoE says:

If it makes you feel better, I work in the auto industry and I can assure you that Ford has actually used the Toyota situation to great advantage so far. They’ve been moving cars this year like nobody’s business.

As for Volt vs Prius? Probably GM hasn’t been doing that since it would take a serious fool to market a $40,000 car against a $23,000 one. Despite some of GM’s moves over the past few years, no one at the company is quite that stupid.

• sonneillon says:

but with tax credits it puts the volt under 30k… well sorta as well as any tax credit works. While the Prius doesn’t get those delicious tax credits any more.

• jurupa says:

Ford Fiesta, what else is there to say? You talk about being bold, there you go. A non boring small compact car for the masses. And you do realize that the Volt is an electric car while the Prius is a hybrid? Why will they even compete against each other? The Volt will be more competing against the Tesla than anything else.

• sonneillon says:

It has a gasoline engine in it too. It’s a plug in hybrid. It has a 40 mile range without the gas engine and 300 miles with the engine. They compete against each other because they both seek the same green high MPG crowd.

• jurupa says:

And the gas engine is only there to be a gas generator for the batteries. The volt only gets power to the wheels via its electric engine, making it an electric car. Its not a hybrid like the Prius where both engines put power to the wheels. And just because the Volt is in the same market as the Prius does not make them direct competitors. The Volt is more of a direct competitor to Nissan’s Leaf than to the Prius.

• oldwiz65 says:

GM and “solid car designs” are mutually exclusive. My brother bought a new Buick Lucerne, and 1 week after receiving it it died and it took them 4 days in the shop to get it working again. 1 month later one of the fuses went out and the dealer said it would take a day or two to replace it as they had to take some things apart to reach the fuse box. That is not solid car design in my book.

I test drove a Chevrolet Malibu just 6 months ago and found it to be ponderous and vague to drive. The controls were so complicated that the salesman could not figure out how to do basic things; he actually tried to get out the manual while I was driving the car to figure out how to do something with the instrument panel. Worse yet the salesman insisted that the deal was only good for today and it was 3 in the afternoon.

6. Hooray4Zoidberg says:

At least they now have experience doing a global recall so maybe it will go smoothly.

7. common_sense84 says:

Wait, why no here we go again for GM, Ford, and chrysler recalls? Those companies have never had a model that hasn’t had at least a few recalls.

And the stuck pedal issue still hasn’t involved any real world cases. Every case reported was a result of people hitting the gas instead of the break.

• common_sense84 says:

“In the aftermath of the recalls, Congress is considering an upgrade to auto safety laws to toughen potential penalties against automakers, give the U.S. government more power to demand a recall and push car companies to meet new safety standards.”

Oh and this will never happen. This would ruin the failing 3 (GM, Ford, and Chrysler). The “foreign” companies are the only ones who could survive such a law.

• AoE says:

Can you expound on this failing 3 idea of yours? I’m just curious how Ford, a company that did not take any bailout money, did not go bankrupt, has been doing better and better financially as the years go by and in fact has been enjoying record sales is failing?

• Mr. Mangold says:

Yep…my Mazda Tribute (made when Ford owned majority stake in Mazda and the same vehicle basically as the Ford Escape) has had two different recalls on it in the past 12 months…yet neither were earth shattering “here we go again” news.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

IIRC, the police officer and family that died suffered from the stuck accelerator.

• AllanG54 says:

The police officer and his family died because…duh….they didn’t put the car in neutral or shut off the engine before the car reached 90 mph

8. FatLynn says:

If my boss drives one of these, do I send him this link, or do I pretend I am not reading Consumerist at work?

9. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

Just saw an ad the other night touting how safe and secure Toyotas were. They must have jixed themselves.

10. 3rdUserName says:

I wish we could find out what models these were..

11. Marc101112 says:

According to Toyota “we’re currently spending over a million dollars an hour to enhance the technology and safety of our vehicles.” That adds up quickly…

12. legwork says:

“You’re holding the steering wheel wrong.”

-Steve

13. kimmie says:

Toyota has had engine problems for years that they will never admit to. I am not surprised in the lease.

My 1997 Toyota Camry threw a rod and exploded oil all over the street with no warning. At the time, it was under warranty, and Toyota refused to cover it at first. However, the dealership said it had to be a manufacturing error, because engines don’t just do that. The forums were *full* of people having the exact same problem. I wrote a very polite letter to Toyota HQ and initially they blamed neglect at changing the oil, but I’d kept all my maintenance records to prove them wrong. They finally covered the engine replacement, but would never admit that it was their fault.

• nutbastard says:

toyota hasn’t been as bulletproof as their reputation says they are since ~1991. not coincidentally, that’s when they stopped making fun cars and everything went beige. (MR2 got fat, GTS corollas discontinued etc)

• vrefron says:

ZOMG! Toyota acts like any company offering a warranty! Evil! Evil!

14. TasteyCat says:

So basically some Toyota cars may and/or may not be recalled from various unknown years and possible models. I own one of the recalled vehicles. Maybe.

15. zombie_batch says:

There’s no specific model or any facts for that matter in the AP article, just unverified sources. Take this for example:
    “The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the U.S. government’s auto safety agency, said Toyota had not formally notified it about a recall. Japan’s top-selling daily Yomiuri said the company will inform the Japanese transport ministry of a recall on Monday but the paper cited no sources.”

This is all just FUD until verifiable facts are given.

16. The Dord says:

Doesn’t seem like Toyota is getting a break these days. Stuck pedals, now its engines. QC needs to be ramped up big time, imo.

17. bananaboat says:

Now if we could get Honda to disclose their complaints to NHTSA, we’d see many car companies are comparable when you see the real issues.

It will be interesting to see how Toy comes out since they have a lot of faithful customers. Continue with the issues and they’ll become the poster-child of Chrysler in the 80′s.

• JuliB says:

I love my 2001 Toyota and plan to keep it forever. I wonder whether my next car will be another Toyota.