Continental Introduces New, Fancier Cocktails… For A Fee, Of Course

A lot of air travelers partake of liquor while flying, whether it’s to calm the nerves or just something to make watching the latest Robert Pattinson movie on a 6″ screen palatable. But for those passengers who find a gin and tonic lacks the razmatazz to match their personality, Continental will soon have the solution… and be willing to charge you premium for it.

The airline has partnered with cocktail mixer company Stirrings to offer mojitos and pomegranate martinis (though I’m guessing these will be more like the Kool-Aid version of the cocktails).

If that weren’t enough, you can now cover your booze with the medicine-meets-cotton-candy taste of Red Bull to offer the energy drink.

For a drink mixed with a packet of powder or a shot of Red Bull, the airline thinks $9 is a reasonable price. Or if you’ve got a little alcoholic-in-training flying with you, virgin versions of these icktails are all yours for $3.

Continental To Sell ‘Specialty Cocktails’ In Flight [WSJ]

Comments

1. smo0 says:

No thank you – I will already be blasted from my Daley Booze Carts.

2. mac-phisto says:

or, do what i do. pack a ziploc bag full of those little nippers & then order your favorite mixer on ice (or just ice). cost savings = $5+/drink.

3. Big Ant says:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these m***********g drunks on this m************g plane!

• fsnuffer says:

If you don’t like flying with drunks then take the bus. Oh wait, that may not be such a good idea either

4. scoccaro says:

no appletini’s?

5. danisprout says:

You are actually wrong. Stirrings is a premium mix, not powder made with all natural ingredients and real cane sugar. They are delicious. It’s about time Continental, now United, did something right.

6. bobloblaw says:

we flew AA in may and they offered stirrings cocktails and red bull drinks @ $6/pop. I know, a had a few …hehehe.

7. cash_da_pibble says:

Hey now.
    Stirrings is a pretty high-end mixer.
    They use a lot of quality nummies in their products.

8. aloria says:

I’ve used the Stirrings pomegranate martini mix– not impressed. I’m grossed out by the idea of a mojto mix– what would it be, mint flavored sugar syrup? No thanks.

• colinjay says:

mint flavored sugar syrup with a twist of lime is exactly what a mojito is… of course provided you remember to add the rum.

• mac-phisto says:

well, actually fresh mint leaves are a pretty important part of a real mojito. of course, i wouldn’t expect a FA to even know what a muddler is, let alone how to use one.

• colinjay says:

not that any reasonable person would even expect a FA to muddle a drink while the rest of the plane waits for their refreshments.

i personally think it’s great that they are using a product that doesn’t have HFCS and artificial flavors at the very least.

• aloria says:

Gross, dude. The only mojito worth drinking uses real mint leaves.

I’d rather have the FA put a shot of whiskey into a diet coke than suffer some nasty improvised version of a “fancy” cocktail.

9. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

If I’m paying $9 for a mixed drink there had better be naked strippers less than 10 feet away from me.

• mythago says:

While I agree with the underlying principle you’re espousing, unfortunately, in the big city you aren’t going to pay less than $9 for a cocktail unless it’s Happy Hour and you’re drinking off the limited HH menu.

• aloria says:

Stay away from NYC, then. $9 is a common price for a GLASS OF WINE.

10. Big Mama Pain says:

Now if I could just get my Continental flight attendant to get off her ass and GET me the cocktail without acting like they’re doing me the world’s biggest favor…

11. sonneillon says:

I bet a liquor store in an airport would make bank. Especially if they sell small shots.

12. jurupa says:

$9 for a cocktail is cheap, but then again I live in SoCal.

13. tungstencoil says:

Personally, I think it’s good:

Airlines are having trouble profiting. That’s a whole ‘nother story…

They need to make more money.

Some people will pay for cocktails, and pay more for premium ones.

They’re happy, the airline is happy, and maybe they make some of the $ they need without adding retarded fees.

14. Coles_Law says:

Well, more alcohol on board is one way to reduce customer complaints.

15. Coelacanth says:

Price sounds reasonable to me, although I’ve almost always been disappointed with anybody’s pomengrante martini mix…

16. chuckv says:

How much is just booze (i.e. nip of rum) on Continental? I prefer my drinks on ice or with a splash of soda.

17. HogwartsProfessor says:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a drink on a plane. I’m always just guzzling water.

18. AllanG54 says:

I wonder how flight attendants, who used to have to be nurses back in the 30s and 40s, feel about becoming nothing more than servers at a TGIF.

19. TVarmy says: