Passengers Sue To Stop Continental-United Merger

With both Continental and United Airlines ready to say “I do,” a group of peeved passengers has busted into the church prepared to give their reasons for why these two carriers should not be wed.

The complaint, filed yesterday in a federal court in San Francisco, says the combined United/Continental would constitute a monopoly that will ultimately result in increased fares, reduced number of flights, diminished services, the loss of tens of thousands of jobs.

“We believe in competition, not combination,” Says a lawyer representing the plaintiffs. “The trend in this particular industry is heading straight for monopoly.”

A Continental rep lol’d at the lawsuit:

We believe this suit has no merit, and we will vigorously defend what we strongly believe to be a transaction that is in the best interests of Continental, its shareholders and the flying public.

Likewise, the United mouthpiece said that, far from being a monopoly, the Continental/United Voltron would “benefit customers with the most comprehensive route network, connecting people across the world and the US, including 148 small communities.”

United, Continental Sued in Bid to Block Merger [BusinessWeek]

Comments

1. TuxthePenguin says:

Wait a minute… airlines are routinely on the brink of bankruptcy and everything they list as possible downsides to their merger are what a lot of anlaysts say will eventually need to happen…

Do these people not realize that there is still American, Delta and Southwest? And that they are in an almost textbook oligopolistic market? IE – every follows fares down, but never up?

I’m almost to the point of making air travel a utility and have a singular airline, a la British Airways.

• Fallom says:

Just to clarify it, it’s the AMERICAN airlines that are routinely on the verge of bankruptcy. I’ve taken many flights to South America that still offer an open bar and free meals.

• M-D says:

“Do these people not realize that there is still American, Delta and Southwest?”

…and JetBlue, Virgin America, AirTran, USAirways, Frontier, Alaska…

2. Bernardo says:

A bastard airline child? Does Jacob want united to?

3. Quake 'n' Shake says:

I think the big loser here is Cleveland. I can see the Newark and Houston Continental hubs remaining, but not a 2nd midwest hub. There will be fewer direct flights to and from Cleveland.

4. fontman2008 says:

It will destroy Continental . and make United even worse , They suck so hard :)

5. areaman says:

GJ to who ever thought to put the Voltron picture up.

6. econobiker says:

Gawd, there goes any vestige of Continental customer service…

United Airlines complaint website http://www.untied.com

• Pryde987 says:

That’s funny because it’s actually United that had really open connection options and Continental that limited frequent fliers/segment abuse. Now United has very restrictive rules regarding connections, moving towards Continental policy. =(

7. NumberSix says:

If it means I can fly yo my destination in Volton, I’m all for it.

8. cromartie says:

I agree with you. The only real possibility is that O’Hare is maxed out, and the combined airline might use Cleveland a bit more for the regional stuff (making better use of Concourse D).

9. sonneillon says:

If Jet Blue was cheaper I would fly them exclusively. They have the most leg room.

10. HAL9001 says:

Add me to the list! I have flown Northwest, Delta & United and always had awful experiences on them. When I flew Continental I’ve had relatively good experiences & they’ve consistently scored better on customer service. If the merger is allowed…..that’s the end of Continental & I don’t want my miles going on United….I hate United. Guess I’ll have to use up everything & only fly to where Virgin flies.

11. gman863 says:

I think it would be better if Continental merged with Ireland’s largest airline.

Who wouldn’t enjoy a flight on something called Conta-Lingus?

12. trimetrov says:

“…a transaction that is in the best interests of Continental, its shareholders and the flying public.”

When has a corporate business decision ever simultaneously met the best interests of company, shareholders, and consumers?