Mayor Daley Wants Liquor Carts At Chicago Airports

Ever been sitting at the airport and wanting some booze, but too bogged down with bags — or pesky kids — to belly up to the bar? Well, for travelers passing through Chicago’s two airports, the Windy City’s inimitable mayor Richard Daley has the solution — pushcarts full of booze.

Realizing there’s money to be made for his city, Daley’s administration is pushing for a new type of liquor license that would permit “the sale of alcoholic liquor from pushcarts within authorized areas at O’Hare and Midway.”

The pushcarts would roam the corridors of the passenger terminals — the airport equivalent of a baseball stadium beer man — and would be operated by those restaurants and bars already serving located beer wine and booze in the airports.

Does this sound like something you’d take advantage of? I would imagine for parents traveling with their kids — especially young children — this would be a positive, yes?

Daley wants liquor carts at O’Hare, Midway [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. smo0 says:

YES YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

2. Bakergirl says:

Agreed! I also want Cigarette Girls, “Cigars–Cigarettes…?” And A special knock at the security check in….

3. redd77 says:

Hmmmm……The article doesn’t say how much Daley’s going to pocket from this.

4. Kilawat12 says:

I don’t know about you guys, but I love every article that has a stormtrooper picture on it. And i would very much love a legit stormtrooper armor. That is all. Back to whatever this article is about.

• copious28 says:

agreed

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

I love that pretty much every vacuum-forming tutorial out there on the net ends with “Tada! Stormtrooper armor!”

5. danmac says:

This would be very nice…I like to have a Scotch at the airport before I fly, but I don’t like waiting 20 minutes for a drink at one of those crowded airport bars.

6. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

It would mean more if I can pass out in a drunken stupor on a second cart that will still wheel me over to my gate.

• evilrobot says:

You can, but there is a fee.

• Paladin_11 says:

You don’t want this. I ran across this at O’Hare once. The drunk person in question was not allowed to fly, and when he objected the police were brought in. At least United rebooked him for free on a flight the next day. (or at least that’s what they told him at the time)

7. Dover says:

It would be a major positive if they sold diphenhydramine to knock my kids out for the flight.

8. Hoss says:

I’m in full support. Most all flights are uncomfortable from ticketing to landing and it’s been years since we could bring a flask of something enjoyable. The grunts from the airline steward when you order something on the plane other than coffee or soda are insulting, particularly if they need to go back to the station to get something and worse if we don’t have exact change. And then if you want a second drink, you better be prepared to make a scene.

Give the people what they want

9. SkokieGuy says:

If they are going to have mobile carts, I’d much rather have Dim Sum.

10. axhandler1 says:

Totally for! Would these operate in the same business hours as the restuarants they represent? One of my biggest problem with airport bars is when my flight leaves at 7 a.m. and the bar isn’t open yet. Even when they are open, they are always so crowded.

11. Quake 'n' Shake says:

It’s a red herring! He wants you all drunk so nobody noticed that Chicago hasn’t altered their hand gun laws to comply with SCOTUS.

12. rpm773 says:

It’s a good idea, if it’s done right. That means a very large “convenience fee” tacked onto the already exorbitant markup for airport liquor. Then there’s the city of Chicago sales tax, which at last check was something like 157%, that would need to be added.

But I trust Daley and Chicago would find a way to achieve all of that, if history is any guide.

13. Thyme for an edit button says:

I am for it! Then if you have a good seat at a crowded gate, you don’t have to give it up to try and find a good seat in a crowded airport bar.

14. NarcolepticGirl says:

Weird. Isn’t Chicago one of the biggest nanny cities in America?

• Lividity says:

I wouldn’t call it that. Especially when it comes to beer. Chicagoans want beer. Lots of beer. Beer everywhere – oh, and alcohol too. There’s a Walgreens outside of Union Station that used to have huge plastic bins filled with ice and beer so that you could pay a dollar to the guy and grab a can for your train ride – you didn’t even have to go into the store, dude was out on the sidewalk.

So, this doesn’t surprise me at all and I’m thinking people will love it, especially because all the bars in Chicago airports are already at capacity.

• ARP says:

I wouldn’t say we’re a nanny city. I would say we’re about average when it comes to regulations. We are, however, an overtaxed/over-feed city. Bottled water, parking meters, entertainment taxes, high sales tax, etc. We were tolerant of it and Daley’s corruption, when things got done (snow plowing, garbage, parks, special events, etc.). But now we’re being overcharged and not getting the services in return.

We also enjoy our beer- lot’s and lots of beer. We’re home to Goose Island, Revolution Brewery, Half Acre,Metropolitan, and others.

• SubPrimeLender says:

not sure what that is supposed to mean – Chicago has alot of laws but many are not enforced

I lived in the city for 11 years and still live int he here are a couple interesting points about fdrinking and other things in Chi – town

- Chicago has some bars that are open till 5 am
      – every bar in chicago can be open till 2 am – 3 am on sat
      – Chicago has hundreds of street festivals every summer , they ALL server beer
      – Some areas of chicago have at least on bar per block, they have tried to remove liqour licenses from some high crime areas but the many areas have bars everywhere.
      – The city made some steps to decrimimlize marjiuana a couple years ago
      – You dont have to drive anywhere after drinking beacuse of ample cabs , which seems to only encourage more drinking

Taxes are high – but the taps are flowing , New orleans and maybe vegas are the only places I have seen as much drinking – but the difference in chi is its mostly the locals participating

The handgun thing is kind of a joke – I really dont think most residents even knew , and in all honesty I dont see how they could enforce it . They cant come in and inpect your house for handguns. Its probably better this is overturned , the law was meant to keep guns away from gangs and it never worked

• mythago says:

Not sure. What do you mean by “nanny city” – a city that doesn’t let you do anything you want to 24/7 without consequences?

15. kdui says:

Sounds like a good idea!

16. nbs2 says:

I’m going to go with the same response I would have if it had been a Cinnabon, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, or any other cart.

Get off your lazy fat butt and get it. Are you Gate Lice so determined to hover around the jetway that you need to have everything brought to you?

• Megalomania says:

I don’t think they CAN get off their butts and get it, since no one is selling it in the airport.

• nbs2 says:

I’m pretty sure MDW and ORD both have bars in the airport. If you want or need the alcohol, go get it. The lice could use the exercise.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i think part of the challenge could include the luggage factor. say you are a parent traveling as a lone adult with a kid. you want a drink and you know one won’t impair you enough to be a danger to yourself or your child while traveling.
      but you have a 10 year old, your carryon, your personal item, their carryon, their personal item…. and if you want a drink you have to move the whole kit and caboodle into the nearest restaurant/bar. there’s no one to watch the luggage or the kid if you were to just run over there. in most airports that becomes a massive security issue
      so i’d best most people would just decide against getting out of their seat in the terminal and letting their kid get on with coloring sponge bob or playing nintendo DS or whatever and pray the drink cart comes early in the flight

• Hoss says:

What is so offensive about convenience? You never eat or drink anything at the gate because this is some sacred space?

• nbs2 says:

I have no problem with consumption. I made sure to avoid discussing that topic (although, I have the same spill smell concern with alcohol as I do with heavily scented foodstuffs). But, I do think that anything that encourages people to keep traffic in the gate area cycling is a good thing.

Gate areas just don’t handle large crowds well.

• mythago says:

Huh? You think people waiting for their plane should walk aimlessly in circles, because, what, it pains your eyes if you’re not watching something moving at all times?

• halfcuban says:

I don’t disagree with his larger point, which is that most gate areas do not have suitable seating options in order to hold the number of passengers boarding a plane. I’ve seen lobbies at airports for gates involving 747’s where there aren’t enough seats for a plane a third the size. Airport planners figure that most people will be milling about or walking around before their flight, and so to cut down on space, intentionally have smaller waiting areas. I could imagine anything that encourages people to sit around in the waiting area would only exacerbate the seating problems in many airports.

17. MarvinMar says:

Cigars–Cigarettes…..Novelty Dogie Poo

18. dadelus says:

As a business traveller who has spent many a night trapped in the hell that is O’hare airport I think this is a wonderful idea. But only if they keep roaming past 9 or 10 or whenever all the rest of the eateries close down.

19. Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

Yeah no. The same mayor who refused to allow people to legally own handguns thinks it is perfectly ok to allow ample access to the top reason there are difficulties in flight? RLY? I am thoroughly against most “bans” because they tend to create more problems than solve them. However, I would vote for a ban of liquor in airports and on airplanes.

• MMD says:

Ummm…a handful of liquor-induced problems on planes vs. thousands of handgun deaths a year…not sure I agree with your choice of which ban to support.

20. dolemite says:

It still kills me how government and law enforcement treat pot smokers like the utter scum of the earth, but you get on a plane plastered from drinking scotch, you are a good ‘ol gent. Absolutely no difference in the two. Well, except drunk people are more likely to be belligerent. How many “angry” pot smokers do you see getting in bar fights? And no, I don’t smoke pot, I’m just amused that a politician is pushing one form of legal narcotics on the populace, while vehemently opposing another.

21. Big Mama Pain says:

The only thing that would make this a better idea is if there was a portable smoking room attached to it.

I’ve never heard of referring to people at the airport as “lice”….but, after flying for a while, you can definitely spot the ones that don’t fly much. They are usually tightly clinging to a way oversized carry on bag in one hand, their boarding pass in another, while propping a cell phone up to their ear with their shoulder.

22. Tracer Bullet says:

I’m all for this one. It’ll help pass the time when I’ve got the blues.

23. MercuryPDX says:

I remember when I would sit in the “Bar Cars” on the Long Island Railroad and enjoy a beverage or two on the way home from a long day.

I’m all for it.

24. mythago says:

Only if they accept Southwest drink coupons.

25. StutiCebriones says:

On the Chicago Tribune’s Web site most of this morning, the headline next to this one was “Chicago flight diverted because of drunk passenger.” I just liked our mayor’s sense of timing.

I would rather that the mayor apply his prodigious brainpower to solving our extraordinary murder rate this summer, creating an environment where small business can thrive and Wal-Mart isn’t needed, and restoring services that have been cut back. And learning math, so that we aren’t giving away 75 years of parking funds for a few years’ worth of money up front. I don’t care one way or another about the liquor pushcarts; I just want a mayor who runs and takes care of the city. (Is this sort of idea even his call? Does the FAA have a say?)

26. b612markt says:

27. swat says:

I LOVE HIZZONNER! LONG LIVE DA’ MAYOR! We should make Daley mayor FOR LIFE! oh.. wait… nevermind.

28. guymandude says: