Does Your Baby Need Designer Diapers?

designerdiaper2.jpgDo you look at your baby and say, “I love him/her so much, but why can’t he/she be more fashionable?” Well, the braintrust at Pampers has come to your rescue with a new line of colorful poop-and-pee-absorbers designed by Cynthia Rowley.

The new 11 designer styles of Pampers will start going on sale at Target stores in mid-July.

Those wishing to have fashionable ankle-biters will have to pay for the privilege, with a 24-pack of the Cynthia Rowley Pampers going for a suggested retail price of $15.99, around $6 more than you’d pay otherwise.

For now, the designer disposables are a limited-time thing, though that could change if they prove to be a retail success story.

Also of note, these high-price diapers use the controversial Dry Max technology, which is currently under investigation for allegedly causing rashes and sores in its infant users.

Pampers offers designer-brand diapers [AP]

Comments

1. ArcanaJ says:

Oh, for the love of… That may not be the stupidest thing I’ve seen today, but damn it’s close.

• axhandler1 says:

For me, this absolutely qualifies as the stupidest thing I’ve seen today. I’m not too worried about it getting trumped anytime soon, either.

• MonkeyMonk says:

I think they’re awesome and would definitely buy them for my child as an alternative to normal Pampers if the mark-up wasn’t so extreme.

• axhandler1 says:

The higher price is the reason I find these so stupid. If these were the same price as the regular ones, I wouldn’t care.

• ArcanaJ says:

The day is young.

• sonneillon says:

Agreed. The only question I have with diapers is “How many can I buy for 30 dollars?” And at Costco that number is a lot.

• ArcanaJ says:

Exactly. The day I was finally able to stop buying diapers of any kind was a good day indeed.

2. Triterion says:

How about you just put your baby in pants like you should be doing?

• Fidget says:

No kids here, but I have babysat them, and trying to get pants of any kind on those chubby little legs without greasing the sucker is pretty damn hard. I plan to do the whole imperialist baby in a dress/skirt/thing that just flops over its head. Always.
      Also, parents who get those soft-backed cloth tie shoes? Your daycare provider resents you. Those things suck so hard to get on, and kids can untie them so freaking fast.

3. dragonfire81 says:

Can these be any worse than those “Denim” diapers that are all over TV now?

• Bizdady says:

Don’t get me started on these! My wife bought a pack of these for our son and thinks they are “adorable”…

oh boy, poor kid lol

• craptastico says:

i have to admit, i saw an ad for those that made me laugh that said “the coolest you’ll look pooping in your pants”

• NarcolepticGirl says:

That commercial is ridiculous and creepy.
      I wanna know who would go out and buy their baby those diapers after viewing that commercial.

• edicius is an acquired taste says:

Yeah, I saw that commercial multiple times when I was at the gym yesterday. I think they may have finally made a commercial even more annoying than those inane E-Trade ones.

4. nightshade74 says:

Ok it’s a toss up which is more obnoxious…Huggies or Pampers…

5. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

They should just give up and put cartoon characters on them like they do for underpants.

• nbs2 says:

That’s what they normally have. The boy’s Swaddlers have Sesame Street characters and the girl’s Pull-Ups have Disney Princesses. The unisex Swimmers have Finding Nemo. Once he gets out of the Swaddlers, we may switch him to the Kirkland diapers, which have generic characters (although, I hear tell that Cruisers are better for boys while the Huggies/Kirklands are the way to go for girls).

• Kuchen says:

Yep. Luvs have Blue’s Clues characters. I think the normal Huggies have Disney characters.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Good! I haven’t bought diapers in years and years–my youngest brother is 7 now–and we only ever got plain whites. But kids don’t care about fashion, they care about Spiderman.

• nbs2 says:

The problem is that the Pull-Ups come in two different designs. She prefers one over the other, so she gets a wee bit fussy when she runs out of that one and has to use the other.

The other problem is that the designs make it hard to use “pretty underwear” as a motivational tool. And giving up the Pull-Ups is a nogo. They use a velcro like fastener instead of adhesive, so if she separates a side while getting on the toilet, it can be refastened instead of tossed.

6. smo0 says:

Hm… I did not know about the Dry Max thing… scary.
    Cloth ftw!

Hahaha…. ew.

Poops.

7. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

I will wait for the diamond studded ones with gold plated fasteners. Only the finest for my little perfect snowflake.

Or the Wal-Mart version which comes with a “rhinestone and stud setter” kit. Whichever comes first.

8. redskull says:

Stuff like this is the reason Al Qaeda hates us.

9. duxup says:

Our little guy doesn’t mind the Dry Max diapers. They work well for us.

10. kalaratri says:

If they weren’t more expensive than the regular ones, they’d be awesome in the summer under dresses and stuff so you don’t have to add another layer.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

That’s why plain white diapers would make more sense. I don’t know of any brand that has plain white (waistband included).

11. nbs2 says:

My kid will be wearing these.

Why? Because in a few months, they’ll be on clearance for next to nothing.

12. ChuckECheese says:

It’s never too early to start teaching your babies that fashion is worth suffering for. Dry Max burns are not too high a price to pay for those smokin’ diapers!

• Doubts42 says:

• ChuckECheese says:

Get your baby’s feet bound in the womb while they’re still tiny!
        Botox your baby’s cheeks and eyelids, so when they cry, they won’t get those nasty wrinkles and crows feet!
        Ask the nail place for a discount on acrylics, since infants’ nails are so much tinier, requiring less work and materials.
        Um, this has been too easy.

13. Gman says:

Sure. I bet that they also spent $30 for a Baby Gap outfit that goes over that designer diaper too.

Still not as bad as nearly half the stuff Baby’s R Us shills as “must have” items.

• harryhoody says:

What’s wrong with buying a $30 outfit for your child? If you have money to buy it, so be it. I can’t stand people who are afraid to use money. Save, save, save. Be cheap. Why? You can’t take it with you, and there will always be more money to make. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but if it makes you happy, then do it.

14. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Yes, because we need to have designer things to put shit into.

Bravo. My brain just exploded.

15. "I Like Potatoes" says:

As a mom of four, I could care less what the diaper looks like. I DO care what the diaper smells like, though.

16. chefboyardee says:

Yet people still wonder why everyone hates America.

• cmdr.sass says:

They hate us because we’re free to do and say stupid things if we want to. Neener Neener

17. Ilovegnomes says:

Now if someone could make diaper bum(per) stickers with funny sayings that I could put across the back of their diapers (as they run around pant-less on a hot summer day), I might go for that.

• ChuckECheese says:

How about “Baby on Board?”

• Ilovegnomes says:

I was thinking of new spins on old classics like,
        “Tailgate Me and I’ll Wipe A Booger On You!”
        “Give me a bottle and no one gets hurt.”
        “I beat up your honor student.”
        “If the music’s too loud you’re too old.”
        “Born to poop.”

Add your own!

18. Grogey says:

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

19. DoubleBaconVeggieBurger says:

They look a lot nicer than most disposable diapers. But not as nice as most cloth diapers, of course.

20. nbs2 says:

How is anybody going to see the diapers? The class of folks that has their baby running around in just a diaper (at least use a onesie) doesn’t seem to mesh with teh class of folks that shops at Target*.

* Unless it is my local Target, where I’d swear the people look more peopleofwalmart-y than the people that shop at our Walmart.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Well, from my experience, the babies of Florida are usually dirty, sticky and only wearing a diaper. Especially at Walmart.
      I didn’t see so much of that in Massachusetts or here in Tennessee…

21. Erykah says:

Just use cloth diapers – they are re-usable and fashionable without being ridiculously expensive and disposable.

• stormbird says:

You could tie-dye them for the hippie look! Dye them black for the emo look! Pinstripes! Jackson Pollock! There could actually be a market for cloth diapers like that.

Or you could pay lots for something with printed lines that goes on your baby’s arse, gets pooped in and thrown away.

22. Dyscord says:

I think the same thing about underwear. I know a lot of babies run around in diapers….but still.

23. ninabi says:

I see Pampers decided not to use my “bio hazard disposal bags ‘n duct tape” diaper design idea.

Plaid? A print lifted off a roll of paper towels? $6.00 buys fine style….but skipping a few boxes of these “stylish” diapers and one would save enough money to buy the baby some real clothing that you know, might cover up that diaper.

24. Rain says:

Things that matter to me in a diaper:

1) Does it leak?
    2) Does it cause a rash on the particular child I am fastening to?
    3) Can it be put on and taken off of a squirming baby as easily as possible?
    4) Is it affordable? (Answer: No)
    5) Can it adequately protect me from the bio-hazard that is baby poop? (Also a no)

Things I do not care about:

1) Is it fashionable?
    2) What will the other parents think?

25. minneapolisite says:

For one baby…

Lifetime cost of disposable diapers: $2577
    Lifetime cost of “designer” disposable diapers: $4366

Lifetime cost of least expensive cloth diapers: $381
    Lifetime cost of most expensive cloth diapers: $1677

P.S. You can re-use those cloth diapers for your next baby, pass them down to another baby, donate them to http://www.clothdiaperfoundation.org, or re-sell them for approximately 50% of their original price tag.

26. craptastico says:

is it just me, or have i seen these “high fashion designs” already on my paper towels? i can’t believe a designer a lot of money to design this nonsense.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

Honestly, that’s the comment I was going to make. These diapers aren’t actually fashionable. The plaid actually looks straight up ugly. The denim looking diapers may be just as silly but at least they actually look good.

27. kajillion123 says:

Babies don’t care about about fashion, these people are just using their babies as fashion accessories.

28. jj030306 says:

To whoever would spend their money on these… just take that extra $6 and throw it in the trash. That’s where diapers end up anyway. Your child is literally going to poop in it. It doesn’t have to be pretty.. God knows the baby doesn’t care.. it just has to work well!

29. lettucefactory says:

I can’t blame them for trying. Cloth diaper fans are still in the vast minority, but they seem to be growing. And as best I can tell, a necessary component of the cloth diaper experience is nonstop gushing about how much cuter they are than disposables. Trust me, several of my friends have gone down this road and while they seem like normal, intelligent people most of the time, get them in the presence of a cloth diaper with little frogs on it and they cannot shut up about how adorable it is. They post dozens of baby-ass-in-diapers pictures to their Facebook. I’ve never understood this. Frogs or no, it’s still a shit catcher.

If I worked for Pampers, I’d want a piece of that, too. Though they’re never going to get it – cloth diapering is anything from a simple exercise in frugality or environmental awareness to an absolute cult, depending on who is doing it, and designer Pampers just don’t exist on that spectrum at all.