Consumer Reports Video Faceoff: Droid X vs. iPhone 4

Playing like a polite re-enactment of a gadget blog comments section flame war, two Consumer Reports journalists pit the features of the iPhone 4 against the new Droid X in this video thunderdome. Who will win? Will the iPhone’s Retina blind the Droid’s amber oculus? Or will the Droid’s tapered top-knob bash the iPhone into shards? “Two phones enter… one phone leaves…”

To limit the variables and ensure a fair fight, both reporters were forced to dress in brown.

Keep drilling down on these two contenders stats and powers by checking out publishing sibling Consumer Reports Electronics Blog iPhone 4 first look and Droid X first look.

Smart Phone Smackdown: Droid X vs. iPhone 4 [ConsumerReports.org]

Comments

1. 3rdUserName says:

The guy on the right looks like George Lucas..

2. CompyPaq says:

CR is playing into the megapixel war? I thought that they knew better.

3. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

How is this a fair fight? You can’t get the Droid X on AT&T and you can’t get the iPhone OFF AT&T.

• BuddyL says:

I don’t think they were focused more on which carrier is better- it was more towards which device is the better computer (not phone). Maybe they should focus more attention to better CLEARER call quality, LESS CALL DROPS ACROSS THE BOARD – rather than our phone can do this, and this, and this, and this…..

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

True, but its not like they’re interchangeable rivals – you can’t get them both on the same network so it isn’t even worth comparing.

• AustinTXProgrammer says:

Well, if one is up for a new phone and will switch networks for the phone, I think it makes sense to compare them.

• Alvis says:

Better call quality takes more bandwidth, and there’s not enough demand for it.

Also, FEWER!!!

• JennQPublic says:

The thing is, other than local user reviews, there’s no real way to compare phones and/or service. Service varies so much from locale to locale, knowing what processor speed each phone has is kind of irrelevant.

4. Sayersj629 says:

I don’t think this statement was entirely accurate…”Two phones enter… one phone leaves…” …they didn’t declare either a winner.

5. andyg8180 says:

That was NOT a video faceoff… Waste of 2 minutes..

6. KyleOrton says:

So the point of this is that regardless of how analytical or reputable the source, you can’t evaluate a phone without being a fan of it and putting down another phone. Yay,

7. diasdiem says:

Listen all! Listen all! Touch screens lead to apps, and apps lead to downloadin’, and that was damn near the death of us all! Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talkin’ about limited data plans! But we’ve learned, by the dust of ‘em all! Consumer Reports learned! Now, when two phones get released, it starts here. And it finishes here! Two phones enter, one phone leaves.

And right now, I’ve got two phones. Two phones with a gut full of features! Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls…reviewin’ times here!

8. biggeek says:

Master thespians! Acting!

• PercussionQueen7 says:

Yeah, this was almost painful to watch. Maybe CR should invest in a few community college actors for their videos…

9. SanDiegoDude says:

Hey I like that. It wasn’t a “faceoff” more than a “here are the features you get with each phone” but at least it laid out the facts for folks. Too often fanatics from either camp muddy up the waters when comparing phones… This just laid out the strong points of each phone and pretty much ended with “they’re both good, get whichever one suits you the most.”

10. dangermike says:

meh. I use a years-old nokia on a pre-paid plan. It actually *is* a smart phone (E51), but I’ve never used the “smart” features on it. I just don’t care to. Browsing the web with a weak processor on a tiny screen is pointless, and I’m never so far away from a computer that I can’t just look up anything I need to know (or to call someone who can look up the info for me — there’s a novel idea using a cell phone to *talk* to someone).

I have a cell phone to call people and to have people call me. I begrudgingly accept and embrace the existence of SMS, occasionally use the camera, and other than the alarm clock and notepad utilities, I haven’t even looked into the other extended features.

In the book of dangermike, these are the criteria to consider when designing a phone:
    -does it work well as a phone?
    -is it small enough to inobtrusively ride in a pants pocket?
    -Is it built tough enough to last several years of riding in a pants pocket?
    -is the ringer loud enough to hear from my pocket over the sound of my car and radio when driving or over the factory noise when working?
    -can I import my own sound files to use as ringers?

One of my favorite things with my current phone is that it has a metal bezel and battery door and that the plastic that is used doesn’t scratch easily, wear down excessively, or crack with stress or shock. And unlike most phones I’ve seen, the plastic is dyed black throughout so that as it wears down, you aren’t left with unsightly brightly contrasting layers of unfinished plastic showing through. I thought about replacing it with some new fangled touch screen phone but then I started hearing about how short lived touchscreens are and started to realize that the combination of size, aesthetics, durability, and call quality simply is not met at a price I would be willing to pay for current products. If the unthinkable happens, I’ll probably just replace it with the same model.

• FlashFlashCarCrash says:

you could have just said “Get off my lawn!”

;-)

• superberg says:

Many modern smartphones(Nexus One and iPhone 4 included) have 1 GHz processors and 512 MB RAM. Weakness is no longer an argument.

It’s fine to say that you’re not interested in these features, but to imply they aren’t up to snuff is simply wrong.

11. jayphat says:

Skip the birth, gimme the baby. Tell me who won.