Universal Really Needs To Release This Movie On DVD

Often all you need to see is a movie poster to know that a movie will be unspeakably awesome. This 1950 drama, apparently never released on home video but somehow seen and rated by 58 incredibly lucky IMDB users, is undoubtedly a spiritual successor to Reefer Madness, but has been lost to the ages.

From a user review on IMDB:

Laughably, the shoplifting syndicate operates on a level of ruthlessness and secrecy on a par with the Nazis in The House on 92nd Street, the heroin smugglers in To The Ends of the Earth, or the Communists in The Woman On Pier 13. But I Was A Shoplifter has been picked clean of wit, style and suspense; it stands as a grim example of a particular post-war posture of humorless self-importance, passing itself off as entertainment.

They had me at “picked clean of wit, style and suspense.” One day I will track this movie down and review it for you, Consumerists. This I swear.

Confessions of an Ex-Fragrance Model by Christina Warriner {Fragrant Reading – Repost} [Scented Salamander]
(Thanks, Bec!)

Comments

1. womynist says:

I have a vintage poster like that from a movie called “Sex Madness” and it says it is by the makers of Reefer Madness. It looks hilarious (in a nostalgic way). I’ve never seen it anywhere, but I think I’m going to check IMDB. (Why didn’t I think of that in the first place?)

2. drwxrwxrwx says:

I suppose it would be somewhat ironic to download a torrent of it…

• AoE says:

It’s only ironic if you’re the sort of person who doesn’t understand the difference between piracy and shoplifting.

3. rahntwo says:

Heh, Reefer Madness was on hulu a few months back. It was so bad it was good.

4. Chaosium says:

“posture of humorless self-importance, passing itself off as entertainment”

I don’t know, sounds like reality tv to me, if you substitute “humorless” with “smug and soulless”.

5. Keavy_Rain says:

Maybe it’s because I’m still flying high from my weekend marathon of MST3K, but I’d love to see Joel and the robots take on this cinematic masterpiece.

• GinaLouise says:

It’s not the shoplifting film, but you can stream/download a copy of “Maniac,” a wackadoo film about mental illness from the same folks behind “Reefer Madness,” at RiffTrax.com. RiffTrax is the next best thing to MST3K — the films are riffed by Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy (Servo) and Bill Corbett (Crow).

6. Yo Howdy says:

It has Tony Curtis…that gives it some legitimacy doesn’t it?

7. motown missile says:

Another lost classic! Maybe a big film preservation company like the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Stiftung can locate and restore this timeless gem so millions of new viewers can thrill to it’s unspeakable awesomeness.

8. Apeweek says:

I found a movie like this once – hilarious – in the basement of an old movie theatre (yes, I used to have a 35mm movie projector in my basement.) The film was called “Sandy, the Reluctant Nature Girl”. It was a “nudist” movie – some theatres showed these before “adult” movies became mainstream. All the scenes are carefully posed – I think it would barely merit an “R” rating today.