Stone Brewing Co. Discovers Its Beer Mustard Is Missing The Beer

In addition to pale ales, Stone Brewing Co. sells mustards and sauces made with beer. Last week, in a blog post titled “MustardGate 2010,” the company announced that it recently discovered its mustards were beerless. (Or as they describe it, those mustards are “instant beer mustards–just add beer!”) The real mystery is what happened to the beer; the brewer says the kegs sent out to the mustard company were sent back empty.

Although their apology video is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the company seems sincere enough about the manufacturing screw-up. Their official recall offer is somewhat meager: bring your mustard into their physical location and they’ll swap it for a 22 oz. bottle of beer, or use a coupon code to take 10% off any other order. But on their Facebook page, they say they’ll be refunding accounts:

We will be refunding all accounts that ordered from us, and are going through our records to review all the orders placed. Please bear with us as we try to make this a speedy process. We intend to make it right with not just our fans, but stores as well. Please give us a call.

MustardGate 2010 [stonebrew.com] (Thanks to Nick!)

Comments

1. Eat The Rich -They are fat and succulent says:

Somewhere in Mustard Land, there are a lot of drunk Ooompa Loompas.

2. denros says:

“The real mystery is what happened to the beer; the brewer says the kegs sent out to the mustard company were sent back empty.”

The real mystery is, how come I didn’t get invited to that kegger?

3. smo0 says:

Must have been one hell of a party.

4. Megladon says:

Can we possibly drop the “gate” part every time something means scandal? Its old and way overused. Also shows a lack of creativity on everyones part to think up or use new words for about 35 years.

5. OletheaEurystheus says:

Oh god I love Arrogant Bastard Ale. I didnt know they made food products too!

• ScubaSteve says:

AB is hands-down one of my favorite beers…but the faux oak barrel version is not worth your time IMHO (unlike real oak barrel brews aged in one-time use scotch aging barrels).

Double B is okay, but seems a little gimmicky…and I prefer the standard AB. AB may also be the only beer that markets itself by stating that you won’t like it…and tells you to set it down and go get a yellow fizzy beer. :)

If you want to get your socks knocked off, try their Ruination IPA instead of Double B. It rocks. In fact, Stone rocks in general…and you can see that from the way that they handled this issue.

• ScubaSteve says:

• Swervo says:

Their Arrogant Bastard hot sauce is excellent, but usually I only see it sold in three-packs with the Oaked Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard hot sauces, neither of which I think are anywhere near as good as the AB stuff. Wasn’t a huge fan of their bbq sauce, but the mustards aren’t bad.

6. DoktorGoku says:

I absolutely love Stone IPA. Never tried the mustard, though, but now I will :P

7. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Capt. Pabst Sparrow wants to know what happened to the beer!

8. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I confess – I did it. I can’t stand mustard, but I love beer. Therefore, I could not, in good conscience, stand by while perfectly good beer was sacrileged into this heinous condiment.

So I drank the beer. Take that you mustard-eating, um, masticators!

• chiieddy says:

I hope you’re only talking about that crappy yellow mustard some Americans are lead to believe is mustard. Real mustard is a blend of spices and is a brown, not yellow, color. Dijon is a lovely mixture of brown mustard and wine. Yum.

Mix some mustard with honey and bake into chicken or marinate fish for a really great flavor profile.

9. Hoss says:

I don’t care that they didn’t make the mustard — would you trust those two to do anything right?

10. LaziestManOnMars says:

Their mustard doesn’t even have stones in it! Misrepresentation from jump-street on this one…

This is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film, “The Never-Ending Story.”

11. Megalomania says:

Whoever was manufacturing that mustard is going to have one hell of a breach of contract suit on their hands. Doesn’t even really make sense for them to not do it since any income from selling the beer or giving it to employees would be absolutely negligible.

• Bakergirl says:

It’s possible they f@cked up the recipe, and since it would be horribly expensive for them to remake after waiting for more beer (Not to mention losing face and possibly the account), they probably thought, ‘Hey, we won’t mention this, more likely they wouldn’t miss it…Who’d know…Shut up!…They won’t find out…(Hic)….OOOoh damn I’m hammered…”

12. Bakergirl says:

At least they are coming clean about the issue instead of pulling a Mitsubishi.

God knows what would happen if the brakes failed on my mustard.

13. JulesNoctambule says:

I like their beers, and I like mustard. I can see this ending up in my pantry in the near future! Love to know what excuse the company is giving them for the disappearance of the beer.

• Fidget says:

Stone IPA makes my life. God, if that’s not a Monday beer, I don’t know what is. A Monday afternoon beer, at that.

14. BomanTheBear says:

God, please tell me that they’re intending to make Ruination Mustard.

15. dwb says:

They never said HOW they found out there was no mustard in their beer . . . er . . . beer in their mustard.

16. lukesdad says:

I would hardly describe any beer from Stone as “meager” in any sense of the word.

17. blueneon says:

Well, I hardly ever drink beer and I eat mustard once only once in awhile. But I would buy either product from this company only because I loved that video. I found it a clever and amusing way to deal with the problem. Bravo guys!

18. ldavis480 says:

Stone’s Ruination IPA is probably one of the best IPA style beers in the world. For many years it used to be my #1 favorite (I must confess that Russian River Brewing’s Pliny the Elder subplanted it as my top ale), but it’s still on my top 10 favorite beers of the world. I’m willing to overlook this mustard mistake and continue to buy Stone’s beers ;-)

19. Taubin says:

I absolutely LOVE Stone. Their IRS is amazing. I was lucky enough to have the last bottle of their 2007 IRS during the last Winter Storm. Honestly, the best beer I’ve ever had… Good job Stone at making things right!

20. jake.valentine says:

Stone Brewing Co…….Simply the best micro/regional beer you will find. Their IPA? Amazing. I am a Philly native and reluctantly admit how awesome the beer is in San Diego. A local Stone beer, a local fish taco, and year round perfect weather. Life is Good……………if you can pay the ridiculous Cali taxes.