Mmm… Cheerwine Filled Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

Yes, it is the Cheerwine Kreme Filled Krispy Kreme doughnut. Two beloved Carolina brands together in a collision of flavor. Diabetes never tasted so good!

If you’re not familiar with the regionally-produced Cheerwine, it’s a very bubbly sweet-cherry soda that enjoys a bit of a cult following.

Krispy Kreme’s Facebook page says they’re only available in Carolina grocery stores for the month of July. Sorry, rest of the country.

Someone needs to put a burger or a piece of chicken between two of these and turn it into a sandwich, stat!

Cheerwine’s Photos [Cheerwine’s Facebook Page] (Thanks to puddintank!)

Comments

1. ChChChacos says:

Wow I think I will be making a special trip to NC for this. I always stock up on Cheerwine anyways when I’m passing through NC. Delicious.

• nbs2 says:

Where do you live? I’ve picked up Cheerwine at the Dulles Wegmans. Won’t help on the doughnut front, but it could reduce your need to stock up on the beverage.

• Etoiles says:

We’re visiting in-laws (my husband’s family) in NC twice this July. I have a feeling we’re going to have to find these somewhere before we go home to Virginia…

• Dave on bass says:

Ditto, although Cheerwine is creeping northward now. They have it in glass bottles at a local Garden Center (Nall’s, Springfield/Manchester) and I buy as many as I can carry every time I go there.

2. zandar says:

last cherry soda i had tasted like cough syrup. Is Cheerwine any better?

And now I’m cringing at the thought of a donut with cherry cough syrup filling.

• user765 says:

I couldn’t agree more, cherry soda almost always tastes like cough syrup.

Until I tried cheerwine….it is delicious

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

I like Cheerwine but I understand the whole “cherry cough syrup” thing. If you grew up on Robitussin (like I did) then you will detect subtle notes of it in Cheerwine too.

• brotheryang says:

I love Cheerwine and id say no it does not taste like cough syrup unless you get diet. diet taste more like cough syrup then cough syrup does

• twonewfs says:

We spent one year in culture shock in SC. I was convinced Cheerwine was developed – in what out neighbors always talked about as THE war -.to flush out Yankee spies – no Northerner could take a sip and survive!

• twonewfs says:

• Dave on bass says:

It’s tangentially sort of like Cherry Coke, but at a ratio of about 95% Cherry and 5% Coke.

3. Draygonia says:

YES! Finally it pays to live in SC!

4. MovingTarget says:

I bet these would be good deep fried !

5. Smashville says:

I like Cheerwine, but this sounds disgusting.

6. nbs2 says:

I’m leaning towards a CFA fillet as the choice of filling. Mild flavor in the coating; juicy, but not greasy, interior; solid, yet meaty, texture. Split 90 degrees in each direction from the filling hole, shove the chicken in. Eat.

7. dreamfish says:

Never mind the cheerwine, Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Mountain Dew are the perfect combination!

8. crashfrog says:

“Cheerwine”? Is it served in flagons by forest elves?

• mojoald says:

We just got it here in WI. It’s basically bad Dr Pepper.

• Spaceman Bill Leah says:

Wait.. it’s in WISCONSIN!?

Oh please tell me where. I am scheduled for a trip to my favorite cheese store/antique mall/New Glarus beer run in the near future.

9. qbubbles says:

How did I not know this drink existed!? I NEED THIS!

10. JulesNoctambule says:

Oh, sweet biscuit jesus — two of the best-known Carolina foods have become one! Red dye does tend to make my throat swell shut, but I’ll try one of these anyway. Because I lack the whole self-preservation thing.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

you want to flip a coin for which one of us is going to go get some and dissect them for the photo experience?

• gStein_*|bringing starpipe back|* says:

oh, i WILL go find some.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

the real question is how can we turn a profit with nationwide shipping?

also, if you use a cheerwine krispy kreme to make a bacon cheeseburger, which explodes first: the space time continuum or your heart?

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…biscuit Jesus?

11. petey says:

Sun Drop filled next, please…

12. Pinkbox says:

Uhm, yeah… I’ll be buying these.

13. Hayden1028 says:

I haven’t had Krispy Kremes for 3 years–when Stater Bros. stopped restocking them fresh daily.

I hate my life.

14. JonStewartMill says:

If it tastes like *anything*, it’ll be an improvement on regular Krispy Kremes. You could get the same flavor with an 80/20 mixture of sugar and shortening.

• webweazel says:

THANK YOU! Krispy Kremes are just plain nasty. Like chewing on a sugar cube. ZERO flavor whatsoever. Bought some chocolate varieties of KK donuts once, and they tasted EXACTLY like the regular plain ones. How the hell do they do that? I want a chocolate donut to taste like a chocolate donut, dammit. And if I buy a variety of flavors, I’d like them to all taste slightly different from each other, thankyouveddymuch. PASS.

• El Soze says:

Have you ever tried one fresh?
      As in, it *just* came off the line and they handed to you?

If not then please do so before making any more false statements :)

15. HogwartsProfessor says:

OMFG I have to send this to my honey. He got me hooked on this stuff when I visited him. I drank four in two days!

I would order it from Amazon (can’t get it where I am) but the shipping is astronomical. And you MUST have it in the bottle.

16. andyparkerson says:

I have Cheerwine every time I drive through NC because I am amazed something can be so offensive to the tastebuds without tasting “bad”. The taste is so wrong, I think I am imagining things. It doesn’t taste like cherry, or anything else recognizable.

I like to think that it resembles the “tea” that Arthur Dent first requested from the ship’s computer. A lot of thought and care has gone into it, but it remains abhorrently unenjoyable.

17. Vanilla5 says:

Cue Wilford Brimley…

18. tgrwillki says:

I’ll make a double down sandwich with this tomorrow and send in pics of it.

19. Bakergirl says:

I’m so sad that I will never be able to try this….

20. t-spoon says:

The Krispy Kreme boxes they sell in grocery stores are gross. If you’re going to eat them you’ve got to to to a proper Krispy Kreme bakery. And that’s only if Dunkin Donuts isn’t an option.

21. satoru says:

I live in MA and they basically closed down all the Krispy Kreme’s here! Apparently we have just as many health police retards here as in California. The weird thing is, I just went to the UK, and they had Krispy Kreme’s there! And quite a few which surprised me. The irony that I would have to fly across the Atlantic to eat and an American chain?

• The Twilight Clone says:

It’s not the health police. Krispy Kreme made some very bad business decisions in the early-mid 2000s. There was some embezzlement, over-expansion, etc. The Atkins fad didn’t help.

They closed all the KK restaurants in Minnesota too, for all these reasons.

22. acasto says:

Wow, surprised at the responses. Living in Asheville and having Cheerwine everywhere I guess I just take this stuff for granted.

23. KJR52 says:

Despite being born in NC, and living there for over 20 years, I don’t recall ever having Cheerwine. I know a few people who love the stuff though.

For Krispy Kremes, I actually went to college in Winston-Salem where they were founded, and they did a fair bit of sponsorship for our school. Nothing like having a hot one right off the conveyor belt. Bad thign about that is, once you’ve had a freshly-made one, you can’t ever eat the ones that have been sitting around.

• LBD "Nytetrayn" says:

I disagree; I’d rather have a Krispy Kreme that’s been sitting for a bit than none at all, which has unfortunately become the choice after the nearest bakery closed here in Toronto.

24. nodaybuttoday says:

they should put 3 scoops of ice cream in the middle of two halves and make an ice cream sandwich like they do at the Peter Pan Bakery in NYC…

25. womynist says:

Oh….mah….gawd…..
    I never knew Cheerwine existed until my trip to NC last year. It’s so strange that it’s awesome. Too bad they don’t sell in in the Northeast…maybe my bf’s family down in NC will buy us some of these and ship them…posthaste!

26. GetOutOfDebt.org says:

How very Carolina. Most of the country won’t have a clue what this is all about.

27. ArizonaGeek says:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! I need to make a visit to the Carolina’s!

28. DashTheHand says:

Caroline’s Cakes/ Gourmet Deli in Annapolis, MD carries Cheerwine for those in the area.

29. ZaerApollo says:

Oh lawdy, why am I not back in Raleigh right now?!!

30. NCSpacey says:

Local news in Charlotte just reviewed these, and they weren’t a big hit. They have 400 calories EACH, and enough fat grams to last you for a week!

There is another NC drink that isn’t everywhere…Sun Drop. I haven’t seen SD doughnuts, but I have seen SD Ice Cream bars.

31. Willem says:

A member of our “vacation posse” bought a dozen of these while visiting Edisto Beach.

I found them to be disgusting. Others disagreed.