Pilot Detained After Dropping Pants During Security Screening

Look, pilots, we know that times are tough, but when security asks you to remove your belt and shoes, you probably shouldn’t laugh and drop your pants, ok? Because if you do, you’re going to end up detained and will have to explain yourself to a judge. Just ask United Airlines pilot Michael Slynn, who forgot this relatively simple advice yesterday in Rio de Janiero.

Slynn was detained but released shortly afterward and allowed to fly back to Washington, D.C., after signing a document promising to appear before a judge the next time he is in Brazil, the spokesman said.

Federal Police Chief Rafael Andreatta was quoted by the Internet site of the Brazilian newspaper O Globo as saying the pilot “did not respect security rules and made fun of officers.”

United is investigating the incident.

Pilot Detained For Showing Underwear [AP]

Comments

1. aja175 says:

…and that’s what we like to call a career limiting move.

2. mrsam says:

Wait a second! You mean to tell me I *don’t* have to drop my pants and bend over, each time I go through security?

Since when?

3. FredKlein says:

Well, that’s what happens sometime when you’re forced to remove your belt. Ya know?

4. TheHaroldTimes says:

Looking like a fool with yo pants on the ground

5. DangerMouth says:

Must be a guy thing.

I had a buddy who once, after waiting in line for an hour to get into a club and paying the cover charge, responded to the girl stamping hands by whipping out his dick and saying “stamp THIS”. (why yes, we were escorted out without being refunded our cover charge. Thank gods TSA wasn’t involved.)

Oh, Otto, what a treasure you were. Possibly my favorite Otto line of all time was, when detained by a cop for speeding, Otto looked over from the passenger seat to me and said “You want I should beat up Barney Fife?” Some years after paying the fines, I find this hysterical, but I admit to reducing my Otto-exposure after that incident.

• uber_mensch says:

It’s obvious that you are easily amused, I just wonder if that includes self-amusement. You know, like laughing at yourself whenever you say something.

• the atomic bombshell says:

Boy would I ever have stamped that. And hard.

6. smo0 says:

“did not respect security rules and made fun of officers.”

My hero *swoon*

• David in Brasil says:

Unlike in the US, “disrespect for officers” is a crime in Brasil. Too bad he wasn’t aware of that little fact.

7. Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

I like the Brazilians.

When the US made visas difficult to obtain for Brazilians, the Brazilians instituted a painful visa requirement for Americans.

When the US started taking fingerprints of foreign tourists entering the US, Brazil started taking fingerprints of Americans (and only Americans) entering Brazil.

Their airport security people acting like jerks to Americans is only reciprocal treatment for the treatment Brazilians receive when they go to America.

[However, the Brazilian police actually being reasonable and letting the pilot fly the plane home rather than throwing him in jail for a few months pending trial is utterly unlike anything that US federal law enforcement would do]

• 47ka says:

To be fair, no Brazilian pilot, to my knowledge, has dropped his pants at a security line, so we really don’t know how the TSA would react either.

• varro says:

The TSA would beat or positionally asphyxiate the pilot in the security room.

8. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

He must have thought that Carnival extended to the airport. It doesn’t.

9. deadbird says:

I really don’t see the huge problem. I mean, it’s only a matter of time before we are all forced to strip naked and have to fly in one of those paper hospital gowns anyway. With nothing allowed on board except our IDs which we will have to attach to our foreheads or something so they can be easily read! This guy is just ahead of his time and probably got so sick of the outrageous demands that he went a bit silly for a second. I think this will be happening more and more now. Humans only have a limited BS meter after all.

• oldwiz65 says:

IDs will be rfid chips that will be embedded into your body so they can track you everywhere. Eventually they will link it to a pain chip so that if, for example, fail to report to jail, you will be in pain. Actually a sci-fi book had just this kind of device in it.

Anyway I worry about my pants simply falling without my belt.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I suggest you invest in some crampons, because your slope is very slippery.

10. sopmodm14 says:

for laughing ? seriously >?

11. MrsLopsided says:

Did they return the pants or hold on to them as evidence?
    “This is your captain speaking, it’s a little breezy up here….”

12. DangerMouth says:

All jokes aside, it is ridiculous that the *pilot* of your goddamned plane has to perform ‘security theater’, while thousands of cleaners and caterers have access to these same planes with almost no or only sporadically enforced restrictions.

See Ask the Pilot:

13. P_Smith says:

On a more serious note, the “security” morons are uptight about everything, even the blatantly obvious. I used to wear with my pants a nylon belt with a plastic buckle which wouldn’t set off metal detector nor need removal, but even that was too much for the morons to deal with.

Now I travel on planes in sweat pants. At least it’s comfortable and I don’t get hassled about wearing a belt.

• parv says:

Going in & out from ITO, HNL, IAD, SFO, LAX, Las Vegas, & DFW (once round trip), I did not & had not removed my belt with obvious metal buckle, except ones when I forgot keys in my pockets.

Which airport(s) did you fly from when you had to remove your belt?

14. brianary says:

More power to this guy. I wish I had done this.

Now we can be detained for not showing proper respect? WOW.

• David in Brasil says:

In Brasil, you certainly can. Disrespect to a police officer is an arrestable offense. As I said above, too bad the pilot wasn’t aware of this little fact.

15. DerangedKitsune says:

Really, why hasn’t everyone figured out now that if there’s one group in the US you DON’T joke with it’s the TSA? Not only aren’t they terribly bright and thus liable to miss your joke, but they are renound for having no sense of humour and not being able to take a joke of any kind.

If you’re better treating anyone with complete seriousness, it’s those people.

• SChance says:

RTFA. This wasn’t the TSA, this was Brazilian airport security.

• MrsLopsided says:

The point is – don’t mess with airport security – no matter what country you are in.

• DerangedKitsune says:

Yeah, yeah, I did that after the fact. Mea culpa.

Still, the point stands. Airport security or boarder security of any kind, are not people you want to surprise, mess with, or act in any fashion other than what they expect of you. Because they’ll ruin you with nary a second thought.

16. ElizabethD says:

Hmmmm. Pics or it didn’t happen.

17. dg says:

“Your Honor, no disrespect was intended. I took off my belt as ordered, and my pants fell down. I was so surprised that I burst out laughing. What else could I do?”

18. Eli the Ice Man says:

This is far more offensive than machines that see right through your clothes anyway.

19. seishino says:

Considering that they’re basically taking nude 3D photos of you at the airports now, I can hardly see how the traditional rules of clothing etiquette apply.

“Get over here. Frank is going to swab your pits for bomb smells. George here is going to pat you down from head to toe. This machine here will take a 3D picture of all of your nudey bits. Don’t worry, we won’t leak them on the internet. Now take off your watch, wedding ring, jewelry, shoes, and pants. No, wait, not the pants! Oh my god! Oh the humanity! I saw something of yours that is covering up your gentlemen’s vegetables! I’m scarred for life and can never be a screening agent again!”

Sure the case is about being “disrespectful” of security screening agents. Which, quite frankly, seems appropriate. But the actual act of dropping trou doesn’t seem any more out-of-place at a modern airport security line than taking off your shoes would at a shoe store.

20. jonharrell says:

And then the TSA failed to conduct Sobriety Test????? Anyone dropping their pants should automatically be subjected to a breath test. Number 1 reason to drop pants in public: drunk.

21. gman863 says:

Maybe the pilot thought full body cavity searches were a Brazilian custom.

22. DovS says:

Awww, sounds like security needs a better sense of humor. They should have laughed along with him. Then confiscated his pants and sent him on his way.

23. Big Ant says:

“when security asks you to remove your belt”

My pants would be on the ground to, that why I wear the belt.

24. yagisencho says:

If he was wearing underwear, and especially if they were boxers, what’s the big deal? This sounds like small people with outsized authority getting in a huff when someone calls their bluff. Tough.

25. Clyde Barrow says:

Maybe the guards recently saw the movie, “Papillion” and figure he was “hiding something”.

26. ganmerlad says:

I am the friendly faced white woman who is constantly searched to prove the searches aren’t racial. I now act like being body searched (for the 40th time) is a joy. And whip my shirt up the second someone questions my under wire bra is a bomb, because I am fed up. Dropping pants is another option. Thanks for the idea.