The $25,000 Hot Chocolate

What’s the best thing to eat in your $33,000 bed? A $25,000 “frrrozen haute chocolate” from Serendipity 3 in New York, obviously.

First hitting New Yorkers’ wallets and waistlines in 2007, it contains a mix of 28 different cocoas, 14 of which are the priciest known to man, five grams of 23-karat edible gold and it’s served in a chalice lined with edible gold. On top is whipped cream and yet more gold. On the side is a special truffle, La Madeline au Truffle from Knipschildt Chocolatier, which on its own sells for $2,600 a pound.

Ok, but that’s not really enough to deserve the $25,000 price tag you say. You’re right. At the bottom is an 18 karat gold bracelet with a carat of diamonds. And you’ll be eating all of this with a gold spoon set with white and chocolate-colored diamonds. Hooray.

As an added side-bonus, you may also be graced with a surprise serenade of cockroaches and ornery health inspectors.

You get to take all your cutlery and prizes home, just remember to run them through the dishwasher first before wearing.

10 Foods You Can’t Afford to Eat [Coupon Sherpa]

Comments

1. tgrwillki says:

The only Haute Chocolate I’m eating is Mo’s Bacn bar by Vosges.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I recently had the pleasure of trying Bacon Chocolate – and it was the most odd and fulfilling experience I’ve had recently I think. Your brain wants to think ok this is a very odd taste but it was SO TASTY. It was very strange.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Try the Calinda or the Black Pearl bars, too. Vosges FTW!

2. Megalomania says:

so after you figuratively flush away $25,000, you’ll be literally flushing away about $1000 that night.

• Draygonia says:

Ah! Now I understand that spongebob episode… You know… The one where the chef uses gold to counteract the smell of the expensive cheese?

3. JulesNoctambule says:

Feh. I’d take some quality handmade caramels over that froofy pile of show-off any day, but then again I like neither gold nor diamonds.

4. grucifer says:

If I was a millionaire, maybe. But even then I’m against diamonds so probably not.

• Hoss says:

Are you against diamonds because of human rights issues at the mines? Then I don’t get why you’d say maybe to a culinary disaster with an impersonal piece of jewelry for $25,000 People who spend like this dont give a rats arse about human rights

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

I’ve been a millionaire and I would not be able to live with myself if I bought that, knowing that people are starving on this planet. The high I would have gotten from donating it anonymously to the right charity would last as long as all the years of sleepless nights I would have if I ate that thing.

5. pecan 3.14159265 says:

Don’t give this to your dog.

6. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

A coworker was telling me about a “$1000 burger” some restaurant sells; it’s a cheap $5 burger, served with a hugely expensive bottle of champagne.

7. Xay says:

I’m not a big fan of gold or diamonds, but the rest of it is very tempting.

8. Pixel says:

You can get that with a side of cockroaches, fruit flies and failed health inspections.

9. ElizabethD says:

Paging Marie Antoinette….

10. Sockatume says:

Haute chocolate? As in, high chocolate? That’s not even a pun. The French language just curled up in a ball and died of shame.

11. A Bay Horse says:

Does anyone honestly order that? How distorted is their life view, when they can order a fluffy dessert that costs more than some earn in a year.

Yes, I’m a kill-joy.

• 47ka says:

There’s probably about 50-100 bucks of food product on that plate (not counting the gold since gold is quite expensive at the moment). I wonder how much it would be if I gave back the dishes and spoon afterwards.

• Shadowman615 says:

I guess if you’re uber-rich and trying to buy a potential mate, that’s one way to go.

12. unimus says:

I’m going to sell a $1,000,000 couch. It consist of my 20 year old couch and $1,000,000 cash stuffed inside. You do have to pay me up front so I can afford the said cash inside the $1,000,000 couch.

13. Supes says:

So how much would this cost without the bracelet and all the gold cutlery? Like if we just wanted to see what it TASTES like?

14. Javin says:

Somehow, eating large amounts of heavy metals just seems like a bad idea to me. Call me crazy.

• GuJiaXian says:

Gold is largely inert and is safe for human consumption.

Now, whether eating gold is smart from a financial perspective is an entirely different matter…

• partofme says:

Forget the financial perspective or the health perspective. What could possibly motivate someone to eat gold? There is no upside. I can’t imagine it adds any flavor.

• DangerMouth says:

I think it must be the “because I can” attitude. Nothing else would explain it to me.

• Bonster says:

It doesn’t. Flavorwise, it’s neutral – just sort of tastes like nothing. It makes things look flashy and decadent and is popular in high-price chocolates, usually a very fine sprinkling over the top or applied as gold leaf. Edible gold is very, very, very thin, and less expensive than you would think.

That said, I like gold on the outside of my body. And it doesn’t digest, making things sparkly that shouldn’t ought to be sparkly.

• kdui says:

Eating gold once in a while is not so bad. If you have it all the time it accumulates and becomes toxic. But most of us are not rich enough to do that. It happened to Diane de Poitiers though! -_-;

15. NORMLgirl says:
  16. El-Brucio says:

But will staff be required to pay sales tax on it if they take it as their employee meal?

17. OranjeLament says:

Wait, no 30 Rock Plunder reference?

18. davere says:

I wonder if my local Target carries editable gold. I just have to make sure to buy 2 individual packages instead of a 2-pack, I know their tricks!

19. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

I guess I don’t get the whole paying way too much for something worth only $100.. Just because you’re rich and you supposedly already donate large sums of money to charity doesn’t mean you can’t get by living like regular people.

• Hoss says:

“Old wealth” that donates doesn’t buy something like this — stupid “new rich” high on heroin would do it New rich like thisnt donate (unless their agent PR tells them to)

20. Mike says:

Recession? What recession? Now excuse me while I got sh*t gold and diamonds. Man that was good hot chocolate.

• hoi-polloi says:

I have a clear image of someone really impressed with himself since he can afford to literally shit gold. No, thanks.

21. Cicadymn says:

After a long nights sleep in my $30,000 bed. I like to enjoy a $25,000 cup of hot chocolate while in my $790,000 crystal bathtub.

22. Im Just Saying says:

The twelve dollar version is amazingly delicious. Especially at Serendipity 3 at Caesars when its 110F.

23. Cicadymn says:

Haha now that I think about it $25,000 would totally change my life. Kinda funny and sad to see that amount of money thrown away on something like hot chocolate.

I wonder what it’s like to be a kind of person that has so much money that you can spend 25k on a drink.

24. lihtox says:

I wonder if “edible gold” tastes good? Generally speaking, if someone offered me a dish with metal shavings in it, I would turn it down.

• Winfield says:

I agree with you. The closest that I believe that I’ve come is drinking that Goldschlager liqeur, or whatever it is. Seems like it’s all just for show, but maybe I’m missing something.

25. Hoss says:

Is it 1999 again?

26. Bativac says:

Do they really expect to sell these or is it just a gimmick to get them free media exposure?

27. galaxy says:

how does this post not have a reference to 30 rock’s $1000 dessert from plunder?!

28. Shred says:

This is old news.

29. denros says:

for 25 grand, it better have dark matter sprinkles on top and a wormhole leading to a universe composed entirely of chocolate at the bottom.

30. Mysterry says:

… I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that Serendipity 3 closed because it kept failing the health inspection; but I don’t care enough about it to google. Waste of money, waste of gold… and diamonds.

31. Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Ratatouille is real????

32. RobertBaron says:

This is bullshit. It’s not a $25,000 hot chocolate. It’s a $25,000 bracelet that comes with free hot chocolate

33. coren says:

How is food more valuable if it’s served/eaten with fancy silverware/flatware? oh, have a pepsi…served in a platinum cup. 200 bucks!

34. LaziestManOnMars says:

No one buys this shit… the restaurants “offer” it so they get in the media. The media covers this with an “oh, gosh, how wacky!” attitude… Rubes all over the country gush and talk about how morally superior they are to those rich city folk… etc. When was the last time you saw footage from one the the wars on the news?

35. Tiandli says:

Edible gold? That’s money down the toilet….