Do Not Try To Sell Your Baby For $25 In Front Of Walmart

Aspiring entrepreneurs, keep in mind: Walmart doesn’t want you selling anything in front of their stores. And they really, really don’t want you to sell your own children out front at cut-rate prices. Police in Salinas, Calif. say a couple were trying to do just that: sell their 6-month-old infant to a stranger for less than the price of a case of diapers.

According to a police spokesperson:

[The couple] were arrested early Wednesday, hours after [the father] approached two women outside Walmart and asked if they’d like to purchase his child.

Villegas says the women had thought [the father] was joking but when he became persistent, they became suspicious. The women reported it to police.

Police: Calif couple tried to sell baby at Walmart [AP] (Thanks, mythago!)

Comments

1. Omali says:

It’s good to see it doesn’t take a company like Wal Mart to offer low prices for cheap crap.

2. Daverson says:

I would have bought the kid just to get it away from those douchebag “parents.”

• Big Ant says:

And ended up in jail with those parents.

• Moweropolis says:

So long as you call the police immediately after receiving the child and explain what happened and why you did it, I don’t think any charges would be filed.

• mythago says:

Except for the part where it takes a couple of days to sort it all out, and then the asshole parents pretend the whole thing was all your idea.

• Daverson says:

I don’t think I would have been going to jail, since I would have called the police and let them know about it immediately.

I guess I should have said that in my initial post. Sorry for the confusion.

• Fidget says:

Actually, my friend and I ran into someone trying to give away their baby outside an Atlanta Ross’s. The parents were probably planning to hand the kid over, then immediately call the police, scream for help and shit and say their baby was stolen. Then part 2, then millions of dollars, somehow.
          God, Ross is creepy.

• Javin says:

Agreed, but I would have had the parents sign a “contract” that had their name and address on it to hand over to the cops. These people sound stupid enough that they would’ve used their real info.

• dreamfish says:

Bring on the breeding licenses!

• Clyde Barrow says:

Me too. I like kids.

3. parkj238 says:

CPS on line 1…..

4. evnmorlo says:

Unless they are holding hands, trying to sell a baby to two women will not end well. And no one will take you seriously if you offer it for $25. These amateur mistakes are why people need to hire an agent.

• Omali says:

Eh, it was a dead deal from the beginning. Those Salinas babies won’t fetch you much more than $25 on the open market, and you have to consider maintenance costs while you look for a buyer.

• segfault, registered cat offender says:

California Baby Broker to the rescue!

A newborn can fetch as much as $10,000, but a six-month-old will bring somewhat less.

• SillyMama says:

I dunno. I have a six-month-old and he is already fat and cute and giggling and SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT. That last bit alone ought to bump things up a few thou.

5. iggy21 says:

In a related story, Walmart has now reduced their price on babies to $24.98

6. nbs2 says:

Six month old kid means she got pregnant when they were 37 and 19, they were under the influence, he’s on probation for something….somehow this whole situation was not destined to end well for anybody.

7. NarcolepticGirl says:

Wow. weird.

“38-year-old Patrick Fousek and 20-year-old Samantha Tomasini “
    Geez… the dude is already with a baby… no wonder why he’s trying to give one away.

The couple were apparently drunk, so who knows if they were serious or not.

I will say that my father is one of those people that likes to ‘mess with people’ far longer than he probably should. Hopefully it was a misunderstanding and just someone with a ‘bad’ sense of humor.

Also, not sure how this is really consumer related. Maybe because ‘Walmart’ is in the title?

8. Bakergirl says:

I think what is really worse….Is that the ‘Dad’ will end up serving time since he’s on probation, but the ‘Mom’ won’t be convicted and she’ll still be able to keep the baby. The poor kid will be stuck will a dad in jail until it’s 10th birthday and a mom that couldn’t care less.

• womynist says:

I don’t think they’ll ever get the child back. I read a different article today about the same story, and apparently they were both high on meth at the time, and the mother admitted to the police that she had been breast-feeding the baby while high on meth. That right there is reason to never give her the baby back. Can we just sterilize these people?

• Bakergirl says:

Wow, The article I read didn’t specify wether it was drugs or booze. But I kinda expected the baby to be exposed to whatever they were doing. That would make it tremendously harder for that kid to be adopted. I fear it’ll foster’s home for children till he/she’s 18.

• PAZ002 says:

I agree with sterilizing people that have no right of procreating. People that try and sale their kids, have no right being parents.

9. rpm773 says:

How much meth does $25 buy?

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

$25 worth of meth isn’t enough to last until the next baby is born, not even if the baby is premature. Using babies to fund a habit is just not efficient.

10. Wowbagger.the.Infinitely.Prolonged says:

Attempting to sell your child should not automatically get you labelled as a ‘bad parent’. Attempting to sell your child to the People of Walmart, on the other hand, is clearly just wrong.

• dangermike says:

It’s not very business savvy, either. They could have a second, take them both to target and put a “regular Price $25 or two for $70″ sign on it. Or better yet, hawk it off in front of a Best Buy, and offer $5 if they’ll buy a $100 “Baby Install”

(and to digress, does it bother anyone else when verbs are used as nouns without the appropriate -ion suffix? That annoy the ever loving crap out of me. It’s almost as bad as omitting the Oxford Comma)

11. morehalcyondays says:

Wal-Mart: Always low prices, always.

12. Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Man, and I’ve been paying $30 for babies at Target!

13. nbs2 says:

I make my own babies at home.

14. PanCake BuTT says:

I would rather have them pay me $25 times 100k, cause that is what it is going to cost you to raise that lil punk. Babies are so overrated, & I don’t want to hear about biological clocks ticking either !
    Just my p.o.v. ~!~

• morehalcyondays says:

There’s more to life than money. Children are a blessing and a joy.

• PanCake BuTT says:

You do know that this planet could only sustain so much ‘blessing & joy’ ?

• pjorg says:

Please take your “human beings suck” attitude elsewhere.

• Alter_ego says:

Just because a person doesn’t want kids doesn’t mean they think all human beings suck. That’s not why I’m choosing not to have any. It’s just a plus that earth certainly isn’t in danger of underpopulation, so I have no obligation towards civilization as a whole to procreate.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

The post is entirely pointless, though. Why the heck would he/she come to this particular post and start spouting off about whether having children is valid, when that’s not even the point of the article? If it was relevant, it’d still be stupid, but at least it would be relevant. Since it’s not, I really do see it as a simple “babies suck” attitude. I’m no huge fan of children either, but come on – that’s not the point.

• dolemite says:

I’ve known many many people with kids. 50% of the time, they loathe them, the other 50% they say they are the greatest thing ever. So I seriously doubt they are a blessing 100% of the time.

Honestly, I’ve never really felt the urge. I have 2 stepbrothers that are 4-5 now, and they are fun to hang out with for about 2-3 hours, but then I say “ok, I am good on the kids front for this week.”

15. PanCake BuTT says:

Don’t fret my Iphone fanboys, thats just the i4 spewing out indecent SAR levels. Hold that!

16. TerpBE says:

Great, now every time I try to leave Walmart with my son, there’s going to be somebody at the door bugging me for my receipt!

• Bakergirl says:

Actually Walmart doesn’t prosecute shoplifters for less than $50 bucks. So is actuality, you COULD walk out with several babies. I sugest down each pants leg.

17. ElizabethD says:

Crazy and sad.

18. Winteridge2 says:

Actually, I think they should be commended for recognizing what kind of parents they are, and trying to improve their baby’s survival chances, but perhaps they should aim a bit higher.

19. dolemite says:

It’s just too easy to have kids, and stupid/irresponsible people have the most. Just “fix” everyone at birth, and at the ages of 18-21, you can take a battery of tests that prove you are smart/competent/and self-sustaining, and remove the block.

20. Ebriosa says:

It was just a Mayor of Casterbridge reinactment, but updated. Not a boozey country fair, but Walmart. Same thing. Except he forgot to try to sell his wife, and no sailor picked them both up and the wife didn’t come back later with a SPOILER SPOILER and the husband was the new mayor of the city because he’d given up drinking for 20 years.

People today are much more boring than Thomas Hardy’s fictionalities.

21. Jack Handy Manny says:

What a deal. Usually babies go for $30 bucks a pound and they were trying to sell it for $25 total?……..Uh, I mean…that’s terrible.

22. mythago says:

What puzzles me is that this was a cute little baby instead of, say, a teenager or a two-year-old.

23. Rickdude says:

WTF?!?!

24. Mr. Ree says:

The last time I offered $25.00 for a young girl, I got kicked in the nuts and the cops were called. Where’s the justice in this?
    You should advertise your wares where people are looking to buy – like Craigslist.

25. Winteridge2 says:

What I don’t understand is this: couples desperate for children will spend up to $25000 to go to China or Africa to adopt a child. Why not find a way to link them with parents like this right here at home, for less money? Maybe not the best of genes, but hey…

• kung fu lola says:

Domestic adoption laws in the US are restrictive and sometimes favour the biological parents so heavily that people spend years and thousands of dollars only to walk away empty-handed. There are many people who adopted internationally who would have taken in local kids, but are turney away or just turned off by incredibly broken US system.

26. SillyMama says: