The $33,000 Mattress

How much would you pay to sleep on the Porsche of mattresses? How about $33,000? That’s how much E.S. Kluft & Co.’s king-size Palais Royale mattress and box spring will run you. It contains 19.5 inches of of luxury fabric and materials, including:

• Two layers of Beligan pima cotton jacquard
  • 10 lbs of cashmere, mohair, silk, and New Zealand wool
  • A layer of soft biofoam
  • A layer of hard biofoam
  • A layer of natural latex
  • Layers of organic cotton felt
  • A layer of bullshit
  • And over 2,000 hand-laced steel springs

Supposedly all this gets you the greatest night sleep ever, but are the benefits that people enjoy from their fancy new mattress really from the product, or just from the fact that it’s a new mattress?

Be sure to check out our tips for buying a new mattress, and sister sib Consumer Reports guide to getting the right mattress.

A Mattress at $33,000? [WSJ]

Comments

1. farcedude2 says:

“A layer of bullshit”
    I certainly hope not.

• thehammer says:

This is special bullshit, its imported from Sweden. Only the best bulls are used, they are specifically bred to produce bullshit that smells like roses. This bullshit not only smells great it will help your back, improve your sex life, and raise your credit score. All in your sleep!!

2. tedyc03 says:

“A layer of bullshit”

I see what you did there…

3. Bativac says:

Hand tied springs make a difference. I bought a 100 year old sofa with hand tied springs and it’s still as springy and comfortable as ever, whereas my 3 year old Big Lots sofa is about ready for the dump.

• DangerMouth says:

I’d still find it hard to take someone seriously after hearing they spent 33K on a mattress. But as I’ll probably never actually meet anyone in a position to do so, I guess it’s moot.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Does the fact that you bought it at Big Lots make a difference? I thought Big Lots usually sold castoffs from the manufacturer.

• El-Brucio says:

I suspect the difference in quality may be the spring itself, and not that it was hand tied. A lot of the newer furniture isn’t only assembled cheaply, it’s made out of cheap materials as well.

4. danmac says:

Even if the materials cost $10,000, that’s still $145/hour for 160 hours of work…it looks like I got into the wrong line of work…

5. smo0 says:

I’d need a test drive first.

6. Muddie says:

I have a really, really expensive mattress at home (about a third of the price of this one though) and it really does make a difference.

That being said, damn that’s an expensive bed and I would love to test drive that thing.

• mikeyz says:

I have a really cheap mattress that I’ve been sleeping on quite comfortably for over ten years.

So, our anecdotes just cancelled out.

7. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

At 33,000, I’d want a mattress made out of unicorn fur and angel down.

• trey says:

if you want the unicorn fur you will have to spend upwards of 10 times that amount… what do you think this is… charity?

• The Porkchop Express says:

mine would have to come with a cuople hot babes in addition to the unicorn fur

8. DangerMouth says:

1 800 MATTRE$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ã‚œ-゜ノ) says:

They went out of business. Total tragedy. They’re the only mattress folks I bought from that didn’t somehow find a way to piss me off.

9. Hoss says:

If it’s like most mattress sales, the price is $33,000 marked down to $3,000 this weekend only

10. the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

I think Hästens mattresses are more pricey. They’re stuffed with horse hair and made for royalty.

11. gonzaga707 says:

Maybe they are trying to compensate?

12. MsAnthrope says:

I have a tempurpedic that was approx. $1000 and I thought it was spendy. However, I can say without embarrassment that I unabashedly LOVE my bed. LOVE. Mmm….want to go home and take a nap now.

13. blinky says:

Hope they don’t drop a pea in there.

14. EdK says:

Hey Ben, you sorta mixed up the stats and brands. The Hästens Sängar AB mattress is the one you described, which costs $69,500.

15. Chmeeee says:

At $33,000, that’s more like the Rolls Royce of mattresses. The Porsche would be $8,000, and be semi-uncomfortable, but ultra-lightweight with exotic materials.

16. amgriffin says:

If I were absurdly wealthy and wasteful enough I would eschew beds completely and just have a padded room full of giant fluffy pillows and ubersoft blankets. Sort of like the ball pit at Chuck-E-Cheese’, but without the smelly, dirty kids and all the germs, boogers and urine. You’d open the door to the room-o-pillows and fling yourself into it for an evening of delicious sleepy-time comfort. I’d build a new fort to sleep in every night and watch movies on a giant wall mounted hdtv.

• Angus99 says:

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

• Javin says:

And at night, it would have a see-through ceiling so you could look at the stars, and keep the room at a chilly 60 degrees so you’d bury yourself in the blankets.

Want.

• Javin says:

Want.

17. Retired Again says:

I have had custom mattresses for years. Most Comfortable is not applicable to a mattress. Feels good NOW or Ahhhh (short term) but FIRM with exceptional SHEETS is closest to Most Comfortable and Healthy.
    So whomever put “a layer of Bullshxx” actually is telling the truth. No matter what product – you can sell a few for fortunes. Solid Gold toothpicks work poorly, but people pay $650. for them!

18. wackydan says:

Luxury Materials…??? That you are only going to cover with…. Sheets.

• Scrutinizer says:

You must try the $9,000 frictionless sheets. Only after having made love in a bed with these sheet do you truly appreciate what Newton was talking about.

19. morehalcyondays says:

For that kind of money I’d expect to be sleeping on the backs of my servants.

20. Noby Noby Boy says:

Spending $33k for something you’re going to spend roughly 1/3 of your life on (or 1/3 of the next 10 years of however long you own the mattress) seems smarter than dropping $150k on a fancy car you’ll only be in for an hour or less per day.

21. citrus538 says:

Do you know how I sleep well at night? I sleep on my mattress stuffed the $33,000 of cash saved by NOT buying this mattress.

22. nicksears says:

i want to pee onit

23. trey says:

i work for a high end interior design firm and we have clients that get these types of beds all the time. although i have never had a client ask for one by name… we normally spec these out for master bedrooms. although this is not the most expensive bed out there. try getting a 9′ by 9′ bed custom made by a high end company like this one.

some people have it like that. hell… we even have one client in Port Charlotte that has his own island and is building a 3500 sq ft guest house (yes you read that right… guest house) the drawings are in the works for the main house and it will make the guest house look like it is a guest house.

there are clients out there like that… there is a reason there is a company out there that makes these beds. because there is a market for it.

only thing is… you never really hear about these people… they spend a lot of time an money to remain somewhat anonymous.

it must be nice… but i wouldnt know.

• mythago says:

There is a difference between spending money on quality and spending money on something that costs $[zillion] merely so that you can way you have a zillion-dollar mattress. It’s not a moral difference, but it does raise the question “If you’re so rich, why aren’t you smart?”

• trey says:

Why is it that those complaining about others with money always say something stupid like…
        “If you’re so rich, why aren’t you smart?”

I will pose this question to you… “If you are so smart, why are you not rich?”
        But then again you did type “aren’t” before you. You do know that aren’t is a Contraction of are not.
        Therefore, “If you’re so rich, why aren’t you smart?” reads, if you are so rich, why are not you smart.
        Also you said “There is a difference between spending money on quality and spending money on something that costs $[zillion] merely so that you can way you have a zillion-dollar mattress.”
        To the ones with the money there is no difference. As long as they can get satisfaction from their purchase then it has fulfilled their needs.

24. OnePumpChump says:

It’s stuffed with eagle feathers, and inlaid with the beaks of a thousand eagles.

• RadarOReally has got the Post-Vacation Blues says:

It is just … the luxury edition has so much more eagle. It saddens me to think of you missing out.

25. Michael S. says:

It amazes me on the price of some merchandise , that is most likely made exclusively for the very rich just to say to your other rich friends how you could waist money, and say I have arrived! The rich world is very different from the “Real World” $33,000 mattress is unbelievable.

26. jimstoic says:

It’s a steal compared to the Hastens Vividus, which runs $60K.

But hey, they are handmade by craftspeople rather than manufactured by machines. I’m all for that.

27. Tiandli says:

Fools and their money.

When filthy rich people pay for overpriced garbage, I don’t see their wealth or status, only their stupidity.

28. Groanan says:

The 8″ Foam mattress I got from Rocky Mountain Mattress cost me about $600 and it’s comfort and sustainability has far exceeded every other mattress I have ever bought or experienced in a store.

So much so, I bought them for my siblings as well because I felt bad for them with their pillow-top super coil, etc., bullshit mattresses that weighed a ton and eventually became malformed.

I mention this mattress only because you can’t try it out in a store (unless you live in the area), and because I found it to feel much better than the posturepedic brand endorsed by Oprah.

My hope for future mattress technology is for them to find ways to make mattresses thinner and lighter without giving up comfort.

29. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

And I thought the super extra deluxe biofoam triple pillow top matress for $1400 that I have been lusting after at Dillard’s was expensive.

30. cornstalker says:

I was marketing director for a luxury mattress company for four years, and we sold mattresses made with organic cotton ticking, New Zealand wool, and natural latex. The cost of materials for a queen-size mattress was under $1,000. I have no clue what the hell “bio-foam” is (like a cheap poly foam with varying ILDs) or any other components of this mattress, but I’ll bet real money that there’s nothing in this bed that justifies the $33k price. The luxury mattress market is largely a con — after a certain price point, all you’re really paying for is the “luxury” of bragging about how much money you just flushed down the toilet.

31. thehammer says:

Thanks soooo much for this article, I will start saving for this mattress immediately!!! I cant wait!! I’m gonna be at the club telling ladies “my bed has hand-laced springs, thats right hand laced. Whats that? You wanna see it right now? Okay”