Netflix Is Fine With No Saturday Mail Delivery; Amazon, Not So Much

When we first wrote about the US Postal Service’s plan to put an end to Saturday deliveries, only 35% of the 7,000 readers polled thought it would be a hassle to their way of life. However, many commenters wanted to know what this would mean for deliveries of their precious Netflix DVDs. Yesterday, they got their answer.

Explains a VP for the video delivery service, who you know is the guy that’s been holding onto that copy of Battle Royale you’ve been waiting for:

A well-functioning Postal Service, positioned over the long haul to meet changing customer and consumer demand, is more important than maintaining current delivery frequency.

The folks at internet retail behemoth Amazon.com held a slightly different opinion:

Ceasing Saturday deliveries would be much worse for our rural customers, who simply would not be able to receive parcels on Saturday because there are no alternatives.

And then there’s the not-at-all-greedy pharmacists at CVS Caremark, which shipped over 50 million prescription by mail. The Caremarkers say that these changes, will — and this really, honestly, swear-to-god breaks their hearts — probably have to raise prices to their customers.

The ultimate decision on whether or not to transition to a 5-day delivery schedule for the USPS is still wrapped up in a several layers of red tape, giving all of the above companies plenty of time to change their minds many times over.

Major online retailers split on plan to cut Saturday mail [WashingtonPost]

Netflix Backs U.S. Postal Service Saturday Delivery Cut [BusinessWeek]

Comments

1. incident man stole my avatar says:

What’s the difference… for the last 6 weeks we have been getting our mail after 6pm

• DorianDanger says:

In just enough time to get overtime on their 20something an hour. No wonder they have no money. Every postal carrier person I know(through others) brag about how much they make for such a fairly easy job, and how easy it is to get overtime…I too get my mail after 6pm- and sometimes they won’t even deliver it, they’ll just write me a stupid note saying, “come get your mail” I’ll come thinking it’s like something big, but it’s like ONE LETTER that they couldn’t be bothered to deliver. /endrant

• TouchMyMonkey says:

So you never actually heard any of these postal workers brag about how much money they make. Just second-hand hearsay from other people.

The truth is, we are getting over when it comes to mail service. Most every other country pays more for a stamp than we do. Who else will deliver a letter anywhere in the USA you want it to go and virtually guarantee it will get there in a couple of days with 99.99999% accuracy for 44 cents?

Those red Netflix envelopes arrive with such speed and frequency that it has utterly obliterated the brick-and-mortar video rental business. Amazon has transformed Christmas shopping from a major hassle to a far more pleasant experience where you go to the crowded mall because you choose to, not because there’s no alternative. How’s that for effectiveness? Can’t very well do that with a postal service made up of Cliff Clavens, can we?

And we can’t help it if you live in East Bumfark, Nebraska, or wherever, and it takes your local carrier to past 6 PM to deliver your mail because you’re 30 miles from the post office. You still get your mail, don’t you?

• msbask says:

I couldn’t agree more. I give the Post Office a letter and 44¢ in NY, and within 3 days, my letter is clear across the country in the hands of my friend in CA. In all my 40+ years, I can only think of one instance of something being “lost in the mail” (oincidentally, that was a Netflix DVD.).

How is that bad service?

• Starfury says:

I’ve shipped stuff using USPS and it’s always gotten there quickly and not too expensive. Small (under 14oz) packs go for about $3 first class. CA to NY: 3 days.

• UnicornMaster says:

I too agree. I say raise the price of stamps to $1.00 and cut down on junk mail.

• [MG]LooseCannon says:

That isn’t how they get paid. They get paid for xx hours for each route – no matter how long it actually takes them to finish. So if the route they have is rated at 8 hours, they get paid for 8 hours even if it takes them 12 hours to finish.

• FrugalFreak says:

Yep that is how my sister explained it. She WORKED for her money. People that sit at home in AC and think just handing it off is an easy job are wrong. They deal with Heat,cold, breakdowns, Mail counts, Case sorts, Alot goes into the job that consumers don’t see.

• redskull says:

That’s how it is at my parent’s house– there’s a 7 hour window in which their mail can potentially arrive. Anywhere from 11am to 6pm. So every day around 4 or 5 they have to wonder if they just didn’t get any mail that day, or if it hasn’t come yet. It can’t be that hard to deliver mail at approximately the same time every day.

I can see how cutting Saturday delivery could be a problem for some. I don’t understand why they don’t cut out Wednesday.

• zerokool420 says:

i still want my netflix on 6:32 pm saturday RATHER then on 11am monday.

2. Veridian Dynamics says:

I don’t mind losing the Saturday delivery day. But CVS/Caremark claiming they need to raise their prices because of it? I don’t buy that one bit. I pay way too much to them for the one mail in prescription I get already.

• common_sense84 says:

It’s possible. They lose a whole day of shipping. Thus they have to ship more on the other 5 days. And doing more work in a shorter period of time is going to cost more.

Granted this must me they are at capacity or near it with the 6 days schedule.

• rooben says:

They don’t have to change anything – what they’ve been talking about is Saturday delivery. Post office hubs are open 7 days a week, and CVS probably doesn’t sit around waiting for a postal worker pickup – they drop off these perscriptions in bulk at a hub.
        Even if they close the hubs on Saturday, CVS could still pack all of the perscriptions on Saturday, if they wish – the only thing would change is that they would have to drop off more packages on Monday.
        Raising prices is simply an excuse.

• 47ka says:

There are some medications that require refrigeration, so in order to ensure that they get there on Friday they may need to use quicker, and thus more expensive, shipping methods.

3. sgtO says:

I think I’ve mentioned this before…

A friend of mine works for the post office. According to him he pulls in close to 100K from overtime.

But here’s the really interesting part – he says that on a normal day, he only does a couple of hours work. He’s got the night shift so he says he clocks in, takes a nap for an hour or so, then he and his buddies spend all night playing cards, shooting pool and kinda just hanging out.

After his shift is over he’ll stick around a few more hours so he can get overtime pay…

But here they are, cutting Saturday service because of budget cuts.

• ARP says:

How is this any different than a CEO getting paid millions of dollars to go golfing, eat out, etc.?Sure they do some work once in a while, but I don’t think they’re killing themselves.

I find it interesting that we have all this anger towards what we feel are “overpaid” blue collar workers, but have no issues with the pay of high level executives, who often do nothing, or worse, hurt the company (see HP-Compaq, Home Depot, etc.).

• nbs2 says:

HAve no problem with overpaid CEOs? What website have you been looking at for the last several years. It certainly can’t be this one.

• Brunette Bookworm says:

Oh, I think plenty of people have issues with overpaid CEOs. I do. I’m not sure exactly what they are doing that they deserve millions and millions a year for when they aren’t the ones making the money for the company. However, if postal employees are getting paid to do nothing and the postal service is short money, then there is a problem. Obviously there are area they can cut first without cutting mail service. Having two days without mail could be a problem. So many insurance companies force people to mail-order prescriptions now that I can see it causing problems for them.

• Rocket80 says:

High-level executives are accountable to their shareholders, board of directors, employees. It’s not ‘blue collar’ workers we are comparing them to, it is government employees, who are never held accountable for anything, mainly as a result of their unions, but also because govt. is not in business to make profit.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

The USPS is not tax-funded and has to break even, so, yeah, it’s pretty accountable. More accountable than Wall Street, anyway, which can count on taxpayer bailouts. Or were those the private corporations you were talking about?

• [MG]LooseCannon says:

That’s not unusual – there isn’t much to do on the overnight shift in some facilities, but you still have to have someone there. The trade off your buddy makes is that he works overnight and sleeps during the day (if you think this won’t totally screw your whole life up, try it sometime). Then he sticks around and helps out in the morning when the really do need the help. It’s cheaper to pay him 20 hours of OT a week than it is to pay another full time employee.

• backinpgh says:

This is probably why government entities like the USPS and public transportation and the government itself can’t balance a budget or god forbid make a profit, while companies like Walmart make a fortune: They forbid overtime hours without express permission and need…you can’t just stay late because you feel like making extra money.

• ARP says:

Agreed. You need to put some responsibility on branch manager, just like a retail store. If they can show they have a need for the overtime, then they should be able to approve it. But it should be backed up with stats that show increased volume of mail, more packages, or something that justifies it. My guess is that there is not.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Your guess is incorrect. My friend the postmistress does extensive tracking of her employees; supervisors even have to follow employees on routes once a year, literally walking behind them timing the route, to tell if they employees are carrying “enough” houses on the route or if more can be added. One of the questions they asked in her interview for this position was, given that this post office is operating at capacity and you can’t hire any more employees, how are you going to cut $200,000 from expenses?

• Pax says:

“Can’t hire more employees” … that’s a big part of their problem.

If they have enough WORK to do, that their employees are pulling in stupendous amounts of overtime … then they have enough work to hire more people, instead.

_I_ say: Wage freeze for the next 5 years. Hire more workers, to the point where no overtime is NEEDED, outside the holiday season. ADD a day of delivery – Sundays – and still save money!

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

The USPS is not tax funded.

• TehLlama says:

Yes, and on top of it they’re on top of land owned by USPS now that they never paid for, while UPS and FedEx have had to use assets to purchase or rent places to conduct business, and neither even have the opportunity to compete for federal shipping projects, or delivery of certified mail (all of which are still lucrative). Saying that USPS isn’t directly and indirectly supported by federal government is simply untrue, and honestly without that they’d be in bankruptcy court more often than the airlines.

• Palmer says:

The USPS is not allowed to set it’s own rates, unlike any private company.
        Whenever FedEx feels like it, they raise their prices, balance their budget and make a tidy profit.

The USPS can’t do this. They have two major impediments.

A: Rate increases have to be approved by Congress.
        B: The USPS is legally forbidden to earn a profit.

They do a great job balancing their budget though. Typically after a rate increase, they will be running at a surplus for some time. Eventually costs go up, the surplus goes away, and then they run at a deficit for a while (funded by that surplus).

Once the surplus runs out, they apply for a rate increase.
        Of course, you never hear about the surplusses… only when they are short on budget and need to raise rates, because that actually affects you.
        The fact is the USPS has run above budget more often than below.

Educate yourself on a topic before spouting crap like that.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why does a post office need a night shift?

• Big Mama Pain says:

Ever read any Bukowski? : )

• QueenofSheepsbaaah says:

Night shift sorts the mail that came in that day and loads up the individual trucks for the next days deliveries.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

They sort overnight so your mail gets to you earlier. The front of the house where you go to mail stuff is only the tiniest part of many mail facilities. One of my best friends is a postmistress of a post office in a city of 34,000 that is a 24-hour facility. Not only do they take all the mail for that city, but for several surrounding rural towns. They receive trucks 24 hours with mail and the sort goes on all night to get the carriers out at 8:30 a.m., the rural routes out as early as possible, and the trucks to the more distant facilities on the road asap.

There’s actually not a lot of sort going on during the day; that’s when employees are at the front of the house serving customers or out on routes. But overnight the back of the house is insanely busy. I visited her at work and got to tour the guts of the post office and it’s AMAZING how huge and complex an operation it is, even for a small city like that.

• Darury says:

I was just at the local Post Office this morning. The amazing thing, the lobby opened at 8:30am, as I’m walking in I hear the following conversation:

Worker 1: I’m going on break now
      Worker 2: OK, I’ll go as soon as you’re done.

Now explain to me how early they’d have to arrive that they need a break by 8:30 in the morning? Given that they probably arrive around 6:30-7am to prep for opening, isn’t it typically a little more work required than 2 hours before you go on break?

• FrugalFreak says:

My sister used to go in at 5:30, so YES it could be time for a break. USPS is not always typical 8-5 work like cubies are used to.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

One of my best friends is a postmistress; she has a shift come on at 4 a.m. to get the sort done for the mail delivery guys to leave on routes by 8:30.

They’re an overnight sort facility that takes deliveries 24 hours and redelivers out to more rural postoffices for THEIR deliveries; not all facilities are. But this is not even a very large post office and then run shifts around the clock.

• s0s has a chewy nougat center says:

It depends on the state, I think. Where I live, employees are required to receive a paid 15 minute break during a four-hour shift (so, after two hours of work), a paid 15 minute break and an unpaid 30-minute lunch during a six-hour shift, and two 15′s plus the unpaid 30-minute lunch.

A lot of people think it sounds excessive, but I’ve found that getting to take those breaks really does make me, at least, more productive. Plus it’s nice to have them when you’re spending your day shifting well over a ton of product by yourself, by hand.

• Palmer says:

How is 2 hours before a break unusual?

Start shift
        Work 2 hours
        Take a break
        Work 2 hours
        Take Lunch
        Work 2 hours
        Take a break
        Work 2 hours
        End shift

2 breaks plus lunch on an 8 hour shift = 2 hour stretches of working.

• Naame says:

I don’t think your story is reflective of the entire USPS. Maybe it is reflective of a single branch due to poor management, but we see stories here on Consumerist every day involving private industries where a single store/branch amongst thousands happen to be a lot worse than average due to poor management.

4. rdclark says:

I still want to know if the Post Offices themselves will remain open on Saturdays, the only days many people can get to them for sending packages, applying for passports, etc.

Personally, I’d propose they shut down everything on Mondays (close the local branches, no deliveries, give everybody possible the day off), in exchange for being open on Saturdays and maybe one evening per week. They’d probably do more business if they were open when people can actually go there.

• Tim says:

All of the proposal’s Congress and USPS have been discussing would keep Post Offices open on Saturday.

• Nate says:

I’m a bigger proponent of cutting service mid-week. Here’s the reason. If you cut Saturday or Monday, people still go 2 days without mail. Not a big deal unless you’re expecting an important package like medicine for example.

If you cut Wednesday for example, then at most everything get’s delayed one day. We could cut service Tuesday and Thursday, save millions of dollars and we wouldn’t have the issue of stacking mail for 2-3 days.

5. Polish Engineer says:

Use the money we would have otherwise dumped into the postal service to provide subsidies for broadband infrastructure to further transition out the need for the USPS.

We will always need snail mail but not everyday. It’s time to come to grips with that reality.

6. absherlock says:

As a customer of CVS Caremark, what they hell are they talking about? How does one day less of postal delivery cause my rates to go up? I understand possibly having to pay more for next day delivery (which it really isn’t anyway), but otherwise I’d just wait an extra day, right? Or are they talking about greasing some palms for “under the counter” Saturday sevice?

• jrwn says:

I would suspect that if you order it on Friday and they ship on Sat,they would have to use a different carrier, UPS/FedEx to make sure you get it on time. This might be important for meds which need to remain cold.

• Big Ant says:

I’m guessing they will have to expedite everything to get the medicine delivered on Friday instead. I could already see the lawsuits coming in (frivolous or not they will still cost $ unless courts start making lawyers fees and fines for frivolous lawsuits more forthcoming) saying I didn’t get my stuff Saturday and Sunday I fell ill. Though I don’t see why they don’t just say to get the orders in earlier or pay for speedy shipping if they insists on getting orders in at the last possible time.

7. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Why can’t we discontinue Wednesday service? Seriously, what piece of mail sent Tuesday do you NEED on Wednesday that you’re only using standard mail service for?

• Fidget says:

The only argument I’ve seen for this is that the post office people want a “real weekend.” But I think they need to suck it up and realize that tons of jobs, particularly ones that pay well, are not going to give you a sat/sun weekend, and that you’re not culturally entitled to one or whatever. Or hell, break down the shifts differently while discontinuing Wed service.

• the_wiggle says:

and that disgusting attitude is what’s wrong with this 24/7/365 corporate slave world.

just what exactly is wrong with a real weekend? time with family. time to shop. to attend school. participate in sports. attend congregation of your choice. to relax. these are things that make life bearable or even worthwhile.

the destruction of the weekend is not helping anyone.

• kujospam says:

I totally agree with you, I have been saying this for a while also.

8. dulcinea47 says:

Uh, is Netflix going to charge me less if I can only get one DVD a week instead of two? B/c that’s essentially what will be happening.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Why would Netflix be responsible? The plan is two DVDs at a time with unlimited rentals per month, not two DVDs at a time per week. Netflix has absolutely no bearing on how many discs you rent per month, or how you choose to stagger your disc rentals.

The way we do it now is we get two discs at the same time (let’s say Monday), then watch one Monday, send it back Tuesday, and watch the second one on Tuesday or Wednesday. Then we send back the second disc, and get a third disc on Thursday or Friday.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Having four fewer delivery days per month IS a drop in service for the same amount of money, though. Sure, Netflix doesn’t care how you choose to return your discs; but it’s like paying a membership for a gym per month, and suddenly they close on one of the days per week that you go. Me no likey; I already live in a really rural area where sometimes the turn around time for Netflix is more than a day or two-I need all the delivery days I can get!

• Big Ant says:

You do not only pay for the delivery service. With my plan I pay ~9 a month for one DVD at a time and Unlimited online streaming. I rarely ever use the mail one anymore and stream at least 2-3 time a week, and when not busy about the same each day. I think Netflix is happy with this because it will mean more people will switch to streaming, which will save Netflix shipping costs in the long run, now what this means to people with no internet competition or the bandwidth(and the like) usage and costs is another topic altogether.

• diasdiem says:

I’ve had a DVD sit on my table for almost a month because I didn’t feel like watching it, all the while enjoying unlimited streaming.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Me too; I have the same plan. What’s worth it for me is no late fees. My DVD often ends up sitting on my coffee table for a while before I have time to watch it, or before I remember it’s under a pile of crap and find it again.

• He says:

Of course not. That’s why they’re totally OK with it. They prosper when people pay for more than they get. Amazon only propsers if people get what they pay for.

• brinks says:

If you haven’t already, upgrade to the three-at-a-time plan. You’ll always have one at home, one on the way, and one you just sent back. It’s well worth the extra couple of bucks, and it will be MORE worth it if there’s an additional delay because of Saturday.

• Big Mama Pain says:

So…giving Netflix MORE money to compensate for one less day per week of delivery..Hm. The whole idea is to return them ASAP to get the maximum number of dvds out of the membership.

• Kyanar says:

Wow, Netflix counts a DVD in transit towards your quota? Here in NZ, the one company that does DVD rental by mail removes it from your quota the instant you tick “returned” on the website (which you do when you pop it in the prepaid envelope to go back).

Maybe it’s Netflix who should be changing the way they do things rather than you?

• Pax says:

Why would that be?

I rent from GameFly – which is to console games, what NetFlix is to movies. Last night, TWO games were in my mailbox. Simultaneously.

Of course, I actually pay to have more than one disk/game at once. If you aren’t willing to pay to have more than one movie “out” (either at your home, or in-transit) at once … then any reduction in delivery frequency is YOUR issue, not NetFlix’s. Besides, since when were two-day turnarounds guaranteed?

Additionally, all netflix customers get free, UNLIMITED streaming movies from their “PlayInstantly” catalog. And clearly you have a computer. So … 1+1=_ …?

9. aja175 says:

I’m really curious to hear the reason for the post office delivering one less day a week would force a few companies to charge more? It’s not like they are going to hire a bunch of ex-pizza delivery types to bring these meds to customers.
    It would appear that nothing will change except waiting an extra couple days to get a script if ya waited till the last minute to order the refill

10. toddb says:

Besides the fact that the USPS is a money-sucking hole, providing benefits far beyond what employee’s should actually be earning in a job that is less complicated than flipping a burger and tossing fries in a basket, IMHO they would be much better off cutting residential delivery from Tuesday and Thursday, leaving Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat. Many people that actually work full time rely on Saturday delivery/pickup. Leave corporate delivery alone at Mon-Fri. Cutting an extra day of residential delivery might give them enough money to have the physical post office open on both Sat and Sun – providing a service to the people that use it, instead of catering to the employees. Run some studies on usage and, if Sunday service isn’t worth it, then cut it back. There’s more savings.

• ARP says:

See posts above. Lots of people are overpaid and it directly impacts you. If the C-level at Best Buy don’t deserve their salaries. And if they made less money, they could charge less for their products, etc.

• Skyhawk says:

Yes, but when Best Buy spends more than it earns, it is not empowered to come to my house and take my money at the point of a gun.

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

Neither is the post office, which is self-funded and must break even. Unlike Wall Street banks (which aren’t unionized!), which get bailed out with taxpayer money.

• Skyhawk says:

“Since its reorganization into an independent organization, the USPS has become self-sufficient and has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s. However it is currently borrowing money from the U.S. Treasury to pay its deficits.[3]“

• Eyebrows McGee (now with double the baby!) says:

The USPS is not tax-funded.

11. salviati says:

While I wouldn’t look forward to losing Saturday delivery of Netflix, I can handle it. But it only seems fair that Netflix should lower the price a bit since they’ll be saving 1day/week worth of disc handling (they won’t have to pay any staff to receive/sort/or ship out any disks on Saturday).

Amazon wouldn’t really affect me since they send all my packages via UPS anyway (but I’m not a ‘rural customer’).

Screw CVS Caremark.

• GTI2.0 says:

Actually, they would likely still ship on Saturday (the USPS would still accept mail on Saturday), there just wouldn’t be any delivery of the disks shipped on Friday until Monday (along with the Saturday disks)

12. womynist says:

+1 million to Chris for the Battle Royale reference! I love that movie. And it stars the guy who plays Vic Romano on MXC (Takeshi’s Castle)!

13. humphrmi says:

Looks like CVS Caremark is looking for any excuse to raise prices.

14. davere says:

So if Monday is a holiday, would that mean 3 days without mail? How not cut Wednesday?

15. Tongsy says:

We don’t have mail service on Saturdays in Canada and the country still functions, just wait until Monday.

• Tongsy says:

I will add though that some post offices are open saturday (and some even sunday)

• lilacorchid says:

Yes, to drop off/pick up packages or buy stamps. Who needs letter mail (aka junk mail and bills) on the weekend! Seriously. I don’t!

16. ARP says:

Maybe a stupid idea, but could they keep post offices open on Saturday (or Tuesday or Wednesday) and simply not deliver mail? So, they’re still accepting and moving your mail and packages, but actual delivery get’s delayed one day? Or, they could just have the branches open to accept packages, but they don’t get shipped/delivered until the next business day? Or does that not provide enough cost savings?

17. ahow628 says:

I’m still confused why they would dump Saturday, a very popular day and keep a wasted day like Tuesday. Get rid of Tuesday delivery. Tuesday I pretty much only get junk mail. Rarely do I get anything important.

• drburk says:

They won’t get rid of a weekday because financial transactions can occur (read banks are open for business) and heaven help you if my pay day changes. Of course my employer could liven things up a bit and get this direct deposit you young kids keep talking about.

18. drburk says:

How about each neighborhood gets their mail delivered to 1 giant set of PO Boxes. A postal worker could make 5 stops and deliver mail to over of 1000 homes. Come to think of it apartments, colleges, business and many other places do this, so why not a neighborhood? Sure it sucks on cold rainy days but I’m sure you could upgrade your box to one with a live webcam feed so you can see if you have mail.

19. Rocket80 says:

I don’t mind them offering less service in theory, however, offering less service while their operating budget continues to increase is absurd. If they cut service, they should be cutting my taxes too. Also, legalize competition in the delivery of first-class mail and we wouldn’t even NEED the USPS.

• diasdiem says:

The USPS doesn’t get funding from taxes. It’s funding comes entirely from shipping and postage fees. It’s had to borrow from the treasury to make up for deficits because so many people send email instead of letters, and receive and pay their bills online, the revenues have gone down. Seems like it’s junk mail, parcel delivery, and mail-order services like Netflix and business mail that brings in the money. They need to bring down costs, which eliminating a delivery day will help do.

Private competition for mail delivery would be a bad idea. If people complain when postage goes up by $.03 a stamp, just wait and see what the postage rates will be if the postal system ever gets privatized.

• FrugalFreak says:

Oh sure, I’d love to have my important mail held up by private enterprize extortionists. I think I prefer the USPS over private business any day.

20. UnicornMaster says:

” would have to shoulder higher costs triggered by altered delivery schedules or higher rates charged by Postal competitors.” I say the Postal service should KEEP Saturday delivery but raise postal rates to $1.00 for a first class envelope. Maybe that will cut down on junk mail. The only useful thing I get in the mail are magazines and catalogs.

21. JulesNoctambule says:

We were wondering if they had already implemented the no-Saturday-delivery policy for a while, because Saturday delivery abruptly ceased on our street for a few weeks. Turns out that our replacement for the regular carrier just hadn’t bothered delivering our mail.

22. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Netflix should reduce their monthly subscription price by 1/6.

• Mike says:

Well that would only make sense if Netflix cost was actually going down by 1/6th, which it is not. The post office is still charging the same amount to deliver things, but giving you less service. If Netflix dropped their prices they would essentially be cutting their profit. If anyone should drop their prices it is the Post Office.

23. LMacConn says:

To get New Releases on the release date, I currently need to drop my Netflix dvd(s) in the mail on Saturday, so Netflix gets them on Monday, and they arrive at my place Tuesday (dvd new release day is almost always tuesday, i don’t know why.)

When Netflix didn’t have Saturday service, I could drop my dvd(s) in the mail on Friday or Saturday to achieve the same result. If the USPS stopped Saturday service, I would simply drop the DVDs in the mail on Friday, which would be more convenient for me since there is a drop box closer to my work than my home (I don’t trust outgoing netflix to unsecure mail boxes, like at my house.)

Maybe I put too much thought into this, but despite being a high volume user (going through at least 8 dvds per week) for a few years, I consistently get 1 brand new release each week, and no “throttling” issues.

24. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Um. Both shipping companies (privately owned, not naming names) have Saturday Delivery options. Quitcherbychin Amazon.

25. Krobar says:

Seriously F caremark, I hate them and hate that to have health insurance at my company with prescription company I have to use them. Most worthless company ever.

26. markmark says:

The ultimate problem is that each post office has it’s own management team and style of management, or lack thereof. My brother-in-law works in an office that is very efficient and sparsely staffed in a very rural (mountainous) area. Those guys work hard and wear out their own autos for the job.

27. coren says:

The fewer movies you rent, the more $$$ Netflix hauls in ( they loooove my parents). Less delivery=less movies to send a month = profit. No underpants required.

Amazon doesn’t make more money by mail being slower, and with Prime it might be argued that they could make less, especially with folks in rural areas where UPS or FedEx may not deliver (as the article pointed out). So yeah it makes sense for them to be against it.

and then CVS are just greedy fucks, so they’re happy either way cuz they’ll find a way to make it cost you more.

28. evnmorlo says:

Of course Netflix doesn’t care, since shipping fewer movies means they make more profit.
    I still don’t see how USPS thinks it doesn’t have to raise postage prices this year when everything else paid for in dollars increases 10%+ every year. They must be getting kickbacks from Netflix as well as the union to manufacture the crisis.

29. Link_Shinigami says:

Canada does 5day post week; Has since I can remember. I see no reason America shouldn’t adopt this, because it’s totally worth the inconvenience of having to drive out to a drug store (Drop points because offices close at 5) to pick up a package that requires a COD (Cash on delivery. Only happens when stuff comes from the states) that you don’t have exact change for because the guys that do these deliveries don’t have change and only take exact change (Ever try to make exact change at $56.34 in a span of 5 minutes? Not fun).

Note the sarcasm above, but in all seriousness, there is no real difference if you’re willing to loose a of not getting mail.

30. Not Given says:

I think my lazy ass mail carrier has stopped Wednesday deliveries on his own.

31. Woodside Park Bob says:

Netflix may be fine with no Saturday delivery, but I (a Netflix member) am not. I frequently get Netflix deliveries on Saturday and return them so Netflix receives them by Monday morning. I then get another movie in Tuesday’s mail. If there is no Saturday delivery, I would end up getting fewer movies for the same Netflix monthly fee. If there is no Saturday delivery, Netflix should reduce its monthly fees to reflect the lower value of the service to customers.

32. whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

I think my parents count as rural customers, and I really, *really* doubt they give a rat’s patoot about Saturday mail delivery. As far as I know, Amazon doesn’t do time-certain shipments via USPS. In fact, I’m not sure USPS really, truly, money-back-guaranteeily, does time-certain shipments at all. And if it’s not time-certain (sorry for continuing to repeat that phrase, but I can’t think of a synonym), then how can anyone lose sleep if Saturday becomes a non-option?

And I’m not a customer of CVS Caremark, but on the assumption that it is closely related to CVS, I think I’ll scuttle my plans to get a box of Ensure and some kickass nail polish from the local pharmacy today. Jerks.

33. Jimmy37 says:

LOL, Of course Netflix doesn’t mind if there are only 5 delivery days, instead of 6. That change cuts their processing costs by 1/6 and no one can blame them for taking an extra day to deliver a DVD.

34. Billl says:

Who needs mail at all? It’s all junk anyway.

35. Alessar says:

I really would prefer to lose a midweek delivery day, like Wednesday, over Saturday.

36. guspaz says:

As a Canadian, the idea of mail delivery on weekends is bizarre.