Man Biking From Florida To NYC To Promote Pizza As Health Food

I’ve always wondered why pizza gets such a bad rap as a junk food, even though one could eat a sandwich with tomato, cheese, pepperoni and basil and not raise an eyebrow. Perhaps it’s the fact that people tend to consume massive amounts of it, usually accompanied by massive amounts of high-calorie beverages. But now a man is out to change pizza’s junky public image with a one-man bike tour from Florida to New York.

The cyclist, Florida pizzeria owner Matt McClellan, isn’t just riding his bike from St. Petersburg to the Big Apple. He’s putting his money where his mouth is — eating only pizza for the entire month-long trek.

His journey began June 4 in Florida and, biking around 90 miles a day, stopping every 3 hours to chow down at a local pizzeria, he plans on making it to NYC’s Times Square — the last place in the city to go for anything resembling pizza — on July 4.

Says the pizza-lovin’ fool:

I used to believe that pizza was a junk food. I felt guilty selling pizza. But now I know I am not hurting people…

We have to change the image of pizza from a junk food to a health food… I am eating pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

McClellan’s PR stunt is getting some sideways glances from nutritionists.

“Pizza is not a health food,” said Lisa Young of New York University. “There is nothing wrong with pizza in moderation. But eating it all day long is not advisable.”

Others point out that McClellan can get away with the extra calories from all that pizza because he’s, ya know, riding his bike 90 miles a day.

Here’s a question: How many slices of pizza — and what kind of pizza — do you usually eat at one time?

Pizzeria owner bicycling up East Coast eating only pizza for meals to peddle it as health food

Comments

1. YouDidWhatNow? says:

When I was in Jr. High we had a “pizza month” or something like that, since it was actually a food that’s really good for you.

Nothing fried, and you get your meats, veggies, dairy, and grains all at once.

Sure, if you eat 5 lbs at a single sitting, you’ll get fat. But pizza in and of itself is far from junk food.

• Javin says:

Yeah, there’s an “Anthony’s Pizza” around here (not a franchise) that makes their pizza with ALL fresh ingredients. It’s basically bread, big chunks of veggies, some meat, and a little cheese. Sounds like a balanced diet to me!

Unfortunately, it’s also very good, so I eat about half a pizza in a sitting. Can’t even justify that one to myself…

• UnicornMaster says:

Um, they tried to pull that crap in our middle school, telling us that Pizza is actually a health food containing all the food groups.

What they don’t tell you is pizza usually has salt cured fatty meats, fatty salted cheeses, salted tomato sauce, and a ton of refined white flour (no grains or fiber here) and barely a serving of vegetables (like ketchup). Unless you’re eating a full on vegetarian pizza with very little cheese on a whole wheat crust, pizza is not health food.

2. danmac says:

Pizza is perfectly healthy if you happen to be biking across the country…if you’re watching the Tour de France from your couch, however, I can’t say that eating nothing but pizza would be great for you…

• obits3 says:

It’s all about calorie burn. When I was in college I would eat pretty unhealthy food, but not gain weight because I walked everywhere. Using the same diet, I gained 30 lbs this past year when I started working a desk job. In order to get back to where I wanted to be, I cut calories and made time for exercise every day. Also, I actually lost four pounds on a four day trip to see some friends even though I ate a lot (because I walked everywhere).
      Calorie burn (i.e. activity level) is why you can see a fat person eating “healthy” food and a skinny person eating candy all day. Our bodies are not designed to be this sedentary, so maybe the reason we have such a problem going on “diets” is because the real “healthy” foods for our bodies are too calorie dense for our lifestyles. We crave carbohydrates (i.e. Pizza!) because are bodies are built to burn a lot of calories (and Carbs help replenish the glycogen/sugar in our muscles). Most diets end up cutting out a lot of calorie dense carbs and our body is like “but I need these” in addition to other foods. Remember all those carbs at the base of the food pyramid?
      Many people say it’s 90% diet and 10% activity, but from experience I would say that it is the opposite. I’ve lost 12lbs in two months so far and all I did was eat a little less and exercise every day (I didn’t change what I ate, just ate a little less). The only reason that there is so much emphasis on diet is because people aren’t active enough. They need to work out harder, move around more, and use bigger muscles (i.e. the legs).

• evnmorlo says:

If you eat irregularly and eat mostly junk it is harder to engage in physical activity without puking.

• obits3 says:

@evnmorlo
          My point was that activity level is the key factor. As a college student, I did eat very irregularly. What I was also getting at was that eating carb heavy food is not the culprit. It is hard to “engage in physical activity without puking” because your body is not conditioned for the physical activity (not because of the carbs). This would be like having a car that has not been started for a year, putting fresh gas in it, and saying “the car won’t run well due to the gas.” Anything can become excessive. If I eat a ton of food and then start to workout, of course I will have problems. But it’s not the food that is at issue; it is the time gap between food and exercise =)

• JulesNoctambule says:

[citation needed]

3. danmac says:

Oh, and my (extremely) guilty pleasure is Totino’s frozen pizza, which costs like $1.25 and is nothing but processed ingredients…delicioso!

• Sayersj629 says:

They’re so tasty, but they’re absolutely one of the worst things you can eat in terms of calories and fat calories vs the amount of food you’re getting.

4. JohnDeere says:

all four food groups is all i need to know. probably the healthiest food there is.

5. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I don’t eat pizza at all. I’m a low-carbing diabetic. My blood sugar was tested last week and it was fine though not as low as I’d like (it was 6.3 and I want to be 5.5 or lower). I don’t think I could eat pizza even if I biked 90 miles a day.

• tbax929 says:

I wouldn’t want to live in a world in which I couldn’t eat pizza. I’m not being insensitive, mind you. I’m just saying it’s one of my favorite guilty pleasures.

• Fidget says:

Eggplant pizzas ftw? I have no clue about dietary restrictions, but you just use eggplant rounds as the base and top with tomato sauce and whatever cheese it’ll hold…
      God though. I’d die. I literally have some form of pizza-ish thing once a day and have for almost all my life. It’s the easiest, balanced vegetarian food to love.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I know some guys who practice martial arts who eat a lot of pizza, but don’t look a bit out of shape.

7. Hi_Hello says:

Awesome!! how can bread + tomatoe sauce + cheese be unhealthy? it’s the loaded of meat and bacon that prolly make it no good for you…

some pizza are way to greesy though….

• Etoiles says:

Actually, bread is very high-calorie for its nutritional return. Which is a pity, because it’s my favorite food on earth. I could just eat a round sourdough loaf and a bit of sharp cheddar cheese every night for dinner and be happy, but if you count calories or follow a program like WW at all, it’s the damn bread that gets you every time. *weep*

That said, though, I’m a big fan of having a thin-crust margherita-style pizza that gets a lot of flavor out of only a little bit of cheese. You could do a lot worse for dinner than that.

• denros says:

funny you mention that, favorite pizza I make is on a thin crust, whole wheat sourdough. I wish more places did this – what separates the best pizzas from the rest is the crust – crispy, blistered with a little bit of char outside, pillowy soft chewy inside. Here’s the guy that got me started;

• zandar says:

god, i know it- I’m the same way, I could polish off a loaf of crusty sourdough with a sharp cheddar in nothing flat.

But yeah, sadly, that is why pizza is bad for you. too much white bread.

I’m a cracker-thin crust lover myself, so I don’t feel quite as bad about that, though. ask for reduced cheese and double pepper and onions and you really are straying into healthy food territory.

It’s a dirty shame no national chain has an edible whole wheat crust. A local place called Shakespeare’s makes a whole wheat crust that is better than the white crust. Though I still have problems with the portion size. I can eat a sturdy medium from there all by myself without batting an eye.

• Garbanzo says:

Bread, especially made with refined flour (which the vast majority of pizza is) is a fairly unhealthy food. Most cheese is high fat, including saturated fat. Tomato sauce can often have added sugar and oil. So while 1 ounce of cheese on a slice or two of 100% whole grain bread with multiple slices of fresh tomato could be a healthy choice, 4 ounces of cheese on white-flour crust with sweetened tomato sauce…not so much.

8. MamaBug says:

there are MANY substitutions on pizza – pesto instead of tomato sauce, different kinds of cheeses, super fresh veggies…you don’t even have to cook anything but the dough sometimes. mmmm.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Yeah I love to do pesto pizzas with feta, basil, and mushrooms. Om nom nom. One of my friend once made a white garlic sauce pizza with feta, arugula and spinach and it was surprisingly good.

I forgot what my point was and now I am really hungry, so I’ll just go with: Nontraditional pizzas are indeed awesome.

9. smo0 says:

I had spinach and artichoke pizza for lunch with feta cheese and a white garlic sauce.

Mmmm.

• tbax929 says:

Everything is subjective. That sounds horrible to me. I like mine on wheat crust with spicy italian sausage and pepperoni. I wouldn’t want feta cheese anywhere near my pizza.

• smo0 says:

/puke

Yeah… subjective – clearly defined RIGHT HERE people. LOL.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I can’t have pepperoni and sausage on one pizza – that’s just sodium overload. I’d much prefer the spinach, feta, and artichoke pizza. Mmmm. My favorite “light” pizza is a margarita (or margherita) pizza though. There’s nothing like melted mozzarella chunks, tomatoes, and basil.

• mocena says:

Don’t listen to the haters, that sounds delicious!

10. aloria says:

The reason pizza tends to be unhealthy is that places put an ungodly amount of high-fat cheese on it. Of course, the slices that are practically sweating hot oil tend to be the tastiest.

• denros says:

mozzarella isn’t a high fat cheese, in fact high-fat cheeses tend to burn when you make them on a pizza. and in any case, the refined white flour is normally the worst thing on it. use whole wheat or a blend and it gets a lot healthier.

• aloria says:

Perhaps it has less fat than other cheeses, but anything that bleeds over a tablespoon of oil into my plate counts as having a lot of fat in my book.

• denros says:

I won’t get into the explanation about why fat (even saturated) isn’t as unhealthy as some people think, but I’ve never had a great slice of pizza that’s had oil pooled up on it. Certainly nothing I’ve made, either.

• El-Brucio says:

As a cheese it may not be high fat, but as a food in general it is horribly fatty. Regular mozzarella cheese gets over half it’s calories from fat. Even with part-skim mozzarella the fat content is still over a third.

11. nbs2 says:

I don’t get pizza’s stigma. Make a thin crust with a bit of olive oil, a little cheese, and a good bit of fresh veggies, and you’ll be eating just fine. May a Pizza Hut Deep Dish Meat Lover’s Supreme, and you are probably better off eating a stick of fried butter.

As for my habits, we try to make single serving “pizzas” at home. Thin crust, vegetables homemade tomato sauce, a little cheese. But, I have a weakness for the Costco Artisan style pepperoni. I can polish off half of it and still have room for more (but I try not to be greedy).

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I LOVE pizza. Love it. It’s really one of my favorite foods in the entire universe. I have a lot of favorite combinations, but I pretty much love all kinds of pizza. I was so sad when I moved 40 minutes away from my favorite pizza place in the entire universe. We actually make special trips out there just for pizza.

• DanRydell says:

Replace the veggies with meat for a pizza that doesn’t suck.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Pshaw. You don’t know what you’re missing. Generally, though, I find that men like meat on their pizzas more than women do. Maybe that’s why.

12. emt888 says:

When I was a kid, my doctor once told my mother that the pizza was the best breakfast food because it had all four of the food groups in it. Of course that was back in the 80′s when everyone was just a little bit crazy…

• tsukiotoshi says:

hah! My pediatrician told my mom that, too,when I was a kid and to this day I still parrot that to people when I get raised eyebrows about eating pizza for breakfast.

13. MikeF74 says:

The guy who broke the record for solo hiking to the south pole ate nothing but sticks of butter for energy. This guy is cycling 90 miles a day — and a high calorie diet is appropriate for him.

14. Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

Pizza: refined white flour, saturated-fat-laden cheese, sodium-saturated sauce, with (optionally) fatty meats and symbolic bits of vegetable.

No, not healthy. Not even close.

• MamaBug says:

maybe if you go in that direction from Domino’s. homemade dough, olive oil or pesto, feta cheese, fresh tomatoes, and some basil do you good.

• nbs2 says:

Pizza: whole wheat flour, symbolic bits of high saturated fat cheese, homemade with almost no salt sauce, with (optionally) symbolic bits of fatty meats and lots of fresh vegetable.

No, not unhealthy. Not even close.

• denros says:

that’s a bingo.

• aloria says:

Right, because most people who are eating pizza are taking the time to make it at home from high-quality ingredients. They aren’t ordering it because it’s a cheap and fast takeout item. No sir.

• denros says:

what a concept – cheap, fast food unhealthy? alert the media!

seriously, calling something pizza is not descriptive enough to make the distinction of “healthy” or “not healthy”. It’s like saying “chicken is bad for you!” fried chicken from kfc? or baked almond crusted chicken in your oven?

Let me reiterate as clearly and simply as I can: there is nothing INHERENTLY unhealthy about pizza, as it is traditionally prepared. People tend to live in insulated reality bubbles where what they are used to or grew up with as the de facto standard. I appreciate what this guy is trying to do.

• smo0 says:

It’s amazing how companies can pervert a soybean and make it something entirely unhealthy. I approve your line of reasoning.

• LafinJack says:

“there is nothing INHERENTLY unhealthy about pizza”

Do you seriously think that’s how people who hear about this guy will see it? They’ll just think “HEY THIS GUY SAYS PIZZA IS HEALTHY” as they call Domino’s.

• LandruBek says:

I thought in bizarro world it would be spelled “azzip” or something like that. Anyway, whatever this thing is that you are talking about sounds interesting and I would like to try it sometime.

15. Tim says:

I see this sort of like the people who counter SuperSize Me by saying that if you eat three meals a day at McDonald’s for 30 days, you can actually lose weight. Yeah, if you exercise a lot and eat the lowest-calorie foods, of course you’ll lose weight.

16. Bossco says:

Yeah if you bike 90 miles a day, a Pizza is probably a good source of carbs and protein.

17. Aeirlys says:

Like a lot of fast food, you can make pizza yourself that is much healthier than anything you can buy. It’ll be more expensive, take longer, and taste nothing like your favorite delivery place (which is not to say bad, just different), but it will be better for you.

I’m not sure this guy can make that argument since he’s not controlling the ingredients, though.

18. segfault, registered cat offender says:

That’s pretty good mileage–he’s getting around 30 miles per pizza if he’s stopping three times per day.

19. mr_pollock says:

One of the issues being raised in these comments is the transcendental meaning of “health food” and “junk food,” both of which do not have transcendental meanings. No “food” is going to be inherently healthy, universally. And no “food” is going to be inherently unhealthy, universally.

Is pizza health food? It depends.

Is pizza junk food? It depends.

20. dulcinea47 says:

Pizza isn’t a “junk food” in the way some things are that don’t even have ingredients that you can pronounce, but it’s not too good for you. The crust has tons of calories and is usually made with white flour. The cheese has even more calories and shedloads of fat. If you put meat on it, more shedloads of saturated fat. If you load it down with veggies, well, the veggies are still good for you, but would have been healthier if they weren’t on a platter of carbs and fat.

Still, it’s fine in moderation…

21. dolemite says:

Pizza can be healthy or bad for you…all depends on how it is prepared. And I don’t mean you have to eat a wheat, thin-crust with no cheese and lots of veggies to be healthy.

22. ret3 says:

I favor 2 slices at a sitting of my homemade Old Forge style pizza, topped with mozzarella, basil, oregano, mushrooms and tomato sauce made from my great-grandmother’s recipe from Calabria.

• nbs2 says:

Old Forge….we make a trip up to the Scranton area every year to get some of that stuff. So good. So unhealthy – but as a treat, who cares?

23. qwickone says:

If you’re buying a medium pizza for less than $15, it’s most likely not that good for you (since low quality ingredients are likely used). Homemade pizza can be easily made in a healthy way, however, eating pizza for all of your meals every day canNOT be a good thing.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

I don’t think you can correlate price with quality. If a mom and pop place uses high quality ingredients but has to stay competitive with Domino’s, it’s going to find it difficult to charge $18 for a medium pizza of the same size. I find that mom and pop pizza places will try to reduce the size of their pies or go with thin crust (less dough is used).

• DanRydell says:

The ingredients in a pizza are not really that expensive… Not that expensive/”high quality” == healthy.

24. Jabberkaty says:

I like a couple slices.

One of my favorite topping combos is broccoli and bacon or broccoli, garlic and feta.

25. mavrick67 says:

Ummm . . . June 4th thru July 4th, . . . 30 days.
    times 90 miles a day = 2700 miles. It’s only 1200 miles from St Petersburg to NYC. . . he heads north and he’s going to overshoot and end up in the Canadian Arctic Circle. Hope he brought his Passport and longjohns.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Yeah, but maybe he’s biking back to St. Petersburg, too. Or maybe in a month we’ll get a Consumerist story titled “Man Who Biked to NYC to Promote Pizza Has Bike Destroyed by Airline on Trip Home.”

• mavrick67 says:

Yeah, but he’s supposed to end up in NYC on July 4th.
        Maybe he’s taking a side trip to Chicago to try some deep dish on the way to NY?

• Megalomania says:

He started out doing 90 miles a day…. there’s more than a couple mountain ranges in the way.

• nybiker says:

A couple of things might be influencing his mileage:
      1. He’s not taking any Interstate, so he’s most likely on state & county roads, which means longer distances.
      2. Even counting point #1, he might also be going out of his way, so to speak, to meet up with other organizations to publicize his ride.
      3. He might also take a rest day or two. I know I did when I bicycled across the U.S. in 1976 & 1980.

26. denros says:

I’m going to word this very carefully so as to NOT sound like i’m trying to reference a popular consumerist meme, so here goes

I make pizza from scratch in my domicile: locally grown whole wheat flour, sourdough starter from my fridge, water, salt, little bit of fresh mozzarella (i make them napoletana style so not a ton of cheese, just a few slices), crushed roma tomatoes, couple pinches of salt and fresh oregano, basil grown in my aerogarden and a few slices of roma tomatoes from the farmers market. Everything is organic except the mozzarella, but being fresh mozzarella made from 3 ingredients it’s the next best thing. Making it healthy does NOT mean sacrificing taste in the least, as long as you use good ingredients and take the time to learn proper technique.

• LandruBek says:

That’s fine and dandy, but very few people do that. When someone says “pizza” in America (absent a ton of qualifiers) e.g., the statement “We have to change the image of pizza . . . to a health food,” what that communicates to the overwhelming majority of folks is something very different that what you cook. For all practical purposes, the American definition of pizza is a dish with a much higher glycemic index and much higher fat content than what you prepare and *also* coincidentally call “pizza.” You’re evading the problem by saying “Well, I have my own private definition of ‘pizza,’ which IS healthy.”

27. Draygonia says:

And he arrives in NYC where he immediately has a stroke and heart attack (at the same time) accompanied by his bike falling to pieces under his 400 pound ass.

Kidding.. he is biking over 1000 miles! Of course he will be healthy!

28. copacetic says:

Pizza is unhealthy. This story is crazy. This man is burning 6,000 calories a day just from exercise. Which I might add is unhealthy because he is burning off massive amounts of muscle and hurting his BMR as well. Why is pizza unhealthy? It is usually made with bleached flour and no fiber. If somebody made a a pizza with wholewheat that had a lot of fiber in it it wouldn’t be so bad this in conjunction with a low fat cheese would make it somewhat acceptable. Still this is food for active healthy people who jog regularly and lift weights. Pizza as normally prepared throughout America, should never be eaten. NEVER.

• pecan 3.14159265 says:

Your anti-pizza tirade has officially made you an enemy of the United States. How dare you hate pizza. Anti-pizza-ite! *waves pitchfork*

• Darury says:

We should probably introduce a law that just bans any food deemed “unhealthy”. I’m not saying it has to be scientifically proven, we just need someone to get their panties in a bunch over any specific item they don’t like and boom.. it’s outlawed.

• DanRydell says:

Nowhere in your post do you actually explain why pizza is unhealthy. You do mention that pizza is lacking in fiber, but that does not make it unhealthy. I see people make this mistake all the time. Just because something is not a good source of nutrition, that does not mean it is harmful.

• LandruBek says:

I think you’re swinging too far into the antipizza orbit. For one thing, plenty of people do bike tours across the USA (and elsewhere) and do 90+ miles in a typical day — it is NOT unhealthy per se, it does NOT cause massive muscle loss, and I bet it raises BMR. I do hope he is getting enough protein though.

Typical pizza, made with white flour and gobs of cheese, is certainly no good as a foundation for a healthy diet, but it can be *so* delicious that it is a foolish abstinence NEVER to partake.

• pantheonoutcast says:

Pizza is not “unhealthy.” Pizza is an inanimate object.

“Healthy” is a condition, “healthful” is a property.

Also, go back to Russia.

• zandar says:

biking- an aerobic, resistance exercise that uses gravity and your own body weight to strengthen muscles- destroys muscle mass?

you are full of it, my friend.

as far as your hate for pizza- please. Any combination of wheat, yeast, water, cheese, meat and vegetables, provided they are wholesome, fresh,a nd clean- is absolutely safe and fine to eat. IN MODERATION, like all things.

Your histrionics prove nothing.

• UnicornMaster says:

I for one agree with you on both parts.

1- biking 90 miles a day does burn muscle mass. (not sure if it’s in an unhealthy way) But why do you think marathoners are lean and thin. Once you run out of carbs and fat, guess where the energy comes from. Your muscles. You have to replace it with a high calorie meal (Michael Phelps Diet?)

2- Pizza the traditional way Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa John’s prepares it and 90% of Americans eat it IS unhealthFUL. A traditional pepperoni pizza is full of saturated fat, salt, simple carbs in the form of white flour and barely a scratch of vegetables in the sauce and a ton of fat in the mozzarella cheese. Can anyone dispute this?

Pointing this out is not unAmerican. Not sure why you guys are coming to its defense here, unless you own pizzerias or are being sarcastic.

29. colorisnteverything says:

As a cyclist who can easily burn 1200 calories in an hour and a half really moving, I think pizza is the last of your worries. You have to eat a lot PERIOD when you are biking that much. He probably needs 5,000 calories a day or something ridiculous to maintain his body weight.

The problem isn’t eating pizza. It’s eating too much of it and NOT exercising.

30. kataisa says:

“He’s putting his money where his mouth is — eating only pizza for the entire month-long trek.”
    - – - – - – -

They should turn this into a documentary “Pizza Size Me” and show him barfing up his healthy good-for-you pizza after Day 5.

31. 8one6 says:

This is really only going to work for him because he’s biking every single day of the trip. You can enjoy anything for a meal is you balance it with exercise.

32. cmdr.sass says:

You can eat whatever you want if you’re burning 5, 6, or 7000 calories a day.

33. Seasel says:

Keep it mind that while it has all the food groups one slice is around 300 calories. So basically, eating four slices a day would probably be okay if you ate absolutely nothing else. Most people I know can eat that in one sitting.

34. quail says:

Definitely depends on the pizza. Some of the doughs out there are loaded with sugar and the carbs are simple. Some places use fake cheese that’s nothing but cholesterol and crap. Even when choosing real cheese you’ve got to know what you’re picking and to not overdo it.

When pizza is done right (which is rarely where I live now) it can be healthy.

35. Paladingo says:

Pizza is full of sugar. The dough, the sauce, full of calories that don’t break down easily in your body and don’t trigger a “full” response. It’s why you can eat half a pizza and still feel hungry. It tastes good, there’s nothing wrong with eating pizza, but trying to label it a health food is silly.

For the make-at-home crowd I’ll bet you feel a lot more full eating a few slices of some whole wheat crust with homemade sauce vs a store-bought, and at that point it’s actually sidling into the “not awful for you” category.

36. hypochondriac says:

Two regular slices from my local place about once a week

37. Eli the Ice Man says:

Just what North Americans need to be hearing, right along side the chorus of “it’s not your fault you’re fat”.

38. veg-o-matic says:

Vegan pizza. And I have to try hard not to eat more than two slices at a time.

Make fun all you want, but we vegans know how to make delicious (*AHEM* cholesterol-free..) pizzas.

When not making at home, we get it from here: http://peaceopie.com/

39. packcamera says:

Lactic acid + high impact sports is not a good combination. Otherwise sport teams would serve up their athletes milk instead of Gatorade. Enjoy the cramps (and the craps) you ‘Lance-wanna-be.’

40. Cantras says:

Pizza makes one of the best breakfast foods too. I get pineapple on mine, so I have four food groups first thing in the morning.

It’s not that bad! I blot it though. >.>

41. sopmodm14 says:

he can burn off all the calories he consumes, while couch-potatoes dont

pizza can be healthy, vegan style with organic ingredients

how many pizza places do that or post caloric info ?

42. bishophicks says:

Saying “pizza is bad for you” is like saying “sandwiches are bad for you.” It depends on the bread and the type and amount of toppings. A sandwich containing a pound of meat and cheese is not good for you. A pizza that is 500 mostly cheese/fat calories per slice is not good for you. But a pizza with peppers, onions, broccoli, artichoke hearts, a little sausage and 1/2 the amount of cheese (which is the way I like to make it), while definitely not health food, is not in the “oh my god that’s going to kill you” category.

The problem with most pizza is that it’s a cheese delivery device and the pizza companies keep trying to find ways to add more cheese – baked into the crust, added in a separate layer, etc. I saw a comic panel once that was a couple of R&D guys in lab coats talking to a CEO, reporting that they were “having trouble finding new ways to hide more cheese.”

Now I need to make pizza dough tonight.

43. brianary says:

“Pizza” is an incredibly broad category to paint with such a broad brush as “healthy” or “junk”.

Would you say the same thing about sandwiches, wraps, tacos, or stir fry?

Of course not, that’s just stupid. There’s just way too much variation in ingredients.

44. Promethean Sky says:

If you can’t eat a whole $5 pizza by yourself, they should revoke your citizenship. We’re fat, and proud of it.