Like Juice Boxes For Winos: Single-Serve Wine Glasses

Have you ever looked at a glass of wine and thought, “I really wish someone would make wine in sealed, single-serve cups”? Well, apparently your fairy bartender was listening, because a man in the UK has come up with the biggest innovation in wine since Whitesnake announced their hot-tub-ready zinfandel.

Called Le Froglet, the idea was first brought to national attention in Great Britain on the business-related reality show Dragon’s Den, where the panel of experts laughed him off stage.

But it’s the cup-o-wine’s inventor, James Nash, who’s having the last laugh. Le Froglet is now being sold at UK retail chain Marks & Spencer, where it’s become quite popular with the thirsty customers.

Says a rep from M&S:

We think that they are proving popular with people who want to perhaps enjoy the summer with a glass of wine in the park as part of an impromptu picnic – either after work or for a relaxing lunch.

They are also popular with commuters who want to enjoy a drink on the train home from work to wind down. We have found that they are very popular in locations popular with tourists.

Le Froglet is being sold in Shiraz, Rose, and Chardonnay. Each 187 ml glass sells for around $3.33.

Is this something we need to see stateside? What’s next — individual tequila shooters?

Adventures in packaging: single-serve wine in a plastic glass! [DrVino.com]

Wine-in-a-glass entrepreneur ridiculed in Dragons’ Den toasts M&S success [Daily Mail]

Comments

1. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Jesus, a plastic glass? I’d just as soon drink it out of my cupped hands.

• Bernardo says:

Whats wrong with a plastic glass?

• c_c says:

Plastic messes w/ the taste. Wine enthusiasts are very picky about such things.

• Jack Handy Manny says:

This is not for wine enthusiasits. It is for alcoholics….they really don’t care.

• mattarse says:

I think it’s for more than alcoholics – I would love to have a single glass of wine when I go to the park in the summer.

• DangerMouth says:

I know, right? Drinking straight from the glass bottle is so much classier.

• Bativac says:

I don’t drink wine, but my grandma does, and I took her out to dinner not too long ago. She was served wine in a plastic tumbler (this was a fairly nice restaurant that has since closed) and was highly offended. I couldn’t figure out why. Is this an unspoken rule about wine, that it must be consumed from a glass vessel?

• ExtraCelestial says:

The taste of the plastic completely alters the taste of the wine . People are very particular about wine purity and it is easily influenced by the elements. They even designed the stems on wine glasses for this very reason.

• c_c says:

Unspoken rule? More like a spoken rule, and probably a written rules somewhere in France. There are a lot of delicate flavors in wine, plastic (or metal, etc.) would mess with that.

• mythago says:

There are also a lot of wines where the plastic is not going to appreciably mar the flavor. You wouldn’t necessarily want to drink them, but still.

• tbax929 says:

I prefer to drink mine right out of the box.

• Student Boy says:

I prefer a Yahtzee shaker

• Student Boy says:

I prefer a Yahtzee shaker

2. GyroMight says:

The only thing that is missing is the little circle on the lid to put your straw in.

3. DowneMixedBoi says:

Grey Goose please.lol

4. kuhjäger says:

They already sell individual tequila shooters here in the states. Can’t find them on the net though, but I have seen them in two liquor stores.

• dadelus says:

I recently saw tequila freezer pops in my local liquor store. That confused me something awful since I know tequila doesn’t freeze all that well.

5. EarlNowak says:

I can see this being popular in New Orleans, where there’s no open container law.

Grab a glass of wine from the drugstore so you can drink on-the-go.

6. energynotsaved says:

I saw a small bubbling wine serving bottle, with appropriate (plastic) Champagne glasses, available in my local Krogers.

7. Vanilla5 says:

This serves the hot-tub community, the “pre-game” community, and the Communion on-the-go community. Everybody wins!

8. MeOhMy says:

They had to do this because Always Sunny already patented puttting it in a can.

9. Hoss says:

Why would we want this instead of the little screw top bottles that come 4 to a pack? Those bottles are at least recyclable and there is a lot of variety in the brands

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Yeah, I was curious about that, too.

• DangerMouth says:

Yeah, I could see grabbing the glass-o-wine for a fancy type picnic, but in general, we just do not need more single use plastic crap in the landfills. It would be a step in the right direction if they were to put the 5 cent deposit on these things.

• badachie says:

Plastic isn’t recyclable?

10. anime_runs_my_life says:

I remember that episode. Both my husband and I thought it was an innovative idea since we both rarely drink. Why spend money on wine when we’ll each have a glass and let it sit for months on end in the refrigderator to go bad?

Sadly, the “Dragons” have tossed a lot of good ideas to the wayside because “no one will want that” logic that I’m sure they’re kicking themselves now for not taking a chance on. A lot of them are simply not in touch with the real world anymore.

11. danmac says:

How am I supposed to wrap my paper bag around that?

12. sallysassypants says:

I think this is an awesome idea, honestly. I’m not a big drinker and opening an entire bottle of wine just to have a glass in the summer every once-in-a-while seems like a waste. I can never finish a bottle of wine, even if you give me a week. If the product is actually good and better than those awful single-serving bottles that they sell in 4-packs, I could see myself buying some.

• Clyde Barrow says:

lol, Oh sure, in Europe and England where adults ACT like adults and can drink freely. In America? This is a recipe for disaster and I can see the failures already: Miss Princess and Mr. Spineless thought that they wine glasses were jello shots for their baby princess so of course, they turned their backs as baby princess proceeded to gulp down a half dozen for herself because mommy and daddy are in denial about their children doing anything wrong. Soon, mommy and daddy are in jail, baby princess is at the state agency being awarded custody to an Aunt and Unlcle, supermarkets will take this off the shelves, and multiple lawsuits will occur over the course of ten years while everyone from DC to Peta to Dr. Phil will hold a “meeting-of-the-minds” to find out why this happened in the first place and then the Congress will create new law to forbid such drinks because they look like children’s drinks and we cannot tell the difference cuz we’re dumb. just sayin’,,,,,,,

• Clyde Barrow says:

I know PETA doesn’t make much sense, but my entire post doesn’t. So what.

• colorisnteverything says:

Have you BEEN to England? Public drunkeness is just tolerated. People are far more into drinking then they are here and most universities have bars on campus. I was in a seminar (a small class meant to encourage discussion) and a fellow student showed up with a 6-pack of Carlsburg. No one batted an eye and he downed them. It got very loud.

13. MercuryPDX says:

“What’s next — individual tequila shooters?”

Those already exist: http://www.tequila.net/tequila-news/latest/is-that-tequila-in-your-pocket.html

• nonspecificwife says:

The liquor store we go to has an assortment of shooters in everything from small bottles to test tube style in a rack.

14. FatLynn says:

The Target by me has been serving wine in individual-sized “juice boxes” for years.

15. DangerMouth says:

Le Froglet, seriously? That almost sounds redundant.

16. NarcolepticGirl says:

“Have you ever looked at a glass of wine and thought ‘I really wish someone would make wine in sealed, single-serve cups’?”

Yes. In fact last month at work, when we had a “take cover” exercise in the hallway, I was standing around with co-workers talking about wine (I don’t know much about it). And I asked everyone why you can’t buy a single serving of wine – like a mini wine bottle. Not including Sutter Home stuff.

I admit I have no class (and as told to me by fellow commenters) and would drink out of a plastic single serving glass of wine any time.

It’s unfortunate that you can’t openly drink in most of the U.S. Would be awesome to be able to drink on the train/in the park without having to hide it.
    Although, here in Tennesse, as a passenger in a vehicle, I can have a drink.
    And in Mississippi you can drink while you’re driving as long as you don’t go over the limit.

• DangerMouth says:

Well, champagne comes in ‘splits’, which is about two glasses.

• annexw says:

You can in the UK, and usually from Tesco with your take-away salad. Was quite the hit with my sister and I when we were visiting.

17. sgnewman says:

I think it’s brilliant. Most of the time when I have a glass of wine I just reach for the first glass I see. I don’t think I even own any wine glasses. I may not be a connoisseur, but it works for me.

• mikeP says:

How is this appreciably different than the 187ml quarter-sized wine bottles that you can already get in the store? It seems like a waste to me.

18. Bernardo says:

I can see this working for picknics. Id pick a few up myself since my last few GF’s never drank more than a glass or two of wine leaving me with the rest of the bottle. I hope this comes state side.

19. aloria says:

I’d try this if not for the plastic. I am a tiny person; one glass of wine is enough to get me quite tipsy. I basically have to go on a bender to finish a bottle before it starts to taste weird.

20. c_c says:

They already have juice boxes for winos – actual little boxes of wine:

21. backinpgh says:

They actually already make wine juice boxes.

22. Billy says:

Dragon’s Den and all of its spin-offs (like Shark Tank) are great shows!

It certainly proves that the little guy is not always right. Sometimes he’s absolutely an idiot.

23. DeadWriter says:

I work in a building with 250 employees. Over the past 5 years I have figured out some statistics based on anecdotal evidence. For every 50 employees there seems to be at least 1 that goes out at lunch and gets a canned cocktail or two, drinks a 40, or hops over to the nearest bar. They may be more, but this is what I have observed.

This seems aimed at the canned cocktail drinkers.

24. mattarse says:

I think this line should read – “They are also popular with commuters who want to enjoy a drink on the train to work”

25. kdui says:

They make single-serve wine bottles/glasses already — I’ve seen it served on airplanes. Yes, plastic.

26. dreamfish says:

I saw these a few weeks ago in the Marks & Spencers at London Waterloo station. Always thought it would be a good idea, though I don’t know if I’d try it myself as I think drinking wine on a hot summer day is not a good idea (dehydration).

After all, you get those bite-size bottles of wine on flights – it’s only sensible for commuter train travel, especially if the person has some distance to go (i.e. 2-3h).

27. YouDidWhatNow? says:

…they already sell wine in individual-size bottles…a little smaller than beer bottles. So what’s the big deal? Can you actually be too much of a douchebag to drink wine from a glass bottle, but just douchey enough to drink it from a disposable plastic cup?

28. Powerlurker says:

This reminds me of the One Cup Ozeki sake they sell in convenience stores and vending machines in Japan.

• YouDidWhatNow? says:

…does the One Cup come with Two Girls?

Sorry. I’ll show myself out…

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

oh i love those. you can get them in the US in some specialty stores. i first saw them at EPCOT at walt disney world. the mitsukoshi department store sells a tiny ozeki bottle with a plastic sake cup attached as a top over the metal screw cap. with my employee discount and some takeout yakitori from the counter service japanese restaurant it was a great way to watch the fireworks

29. Javin says:

I thought the wine juiceboxes were like juiceboxes for winos?

This is more like a juice box for snobby winos.

30. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

um, i saw this is in belgium in 2007. even snapped a bad cell phone photo of it in the grocery store there.

31. Dave Farquhar says:

I don’t know about everywhere else, but around where I live, there’s a chain called Dirt Cheap that sells, among other things, $2.99 bottles of wine. So winos around here might be reluctant to pay $3.33 a glass when they can chug a whole bottle for $2.99.

32. SoulOnFire says:

My Dad co-owns a wine bar and is quite the wine connoisseur. So I sent him this link just to get a rise out of him. I’m fully expecting a lengthy diatribe about such an abomination against God.

33. BytheSea says:

And you bite a hole in the lid and suck the wine through? Yeah, I remember this from nursery school juicy cups.