Grocery Same Size Ray Keeps Shaving Cream Same Size, Lies About It

We’ve extensively documented the use of the Grocery Shrink Ray to fool humans’ puny brains into thinking that familiar products are the same size they’ve always been. But Jim has discovered something even more devious: the Same Size Ray, which has a similar but more nefarious effect on consumer products. It emblazons packaging with the exciting news that a product is now bigger: but it’s all a cruel lie. Maybe.

Attached is a photograph taken at my local Dollar Tree. It shows the appearance of the rarely-seen “Same Size Ray”, in which a product of the same size is dressed up as offering an extra amount of product.

I don’t know if you can tell from my awful cellphone cam pic, but the newer “25% more free!” cans are slightly slimmer and a good half inch taller than the original cans, making it look at first glance like the new cans contain more product. But a look at the label says that the older cans contain the same amount as the new cans: 14oz. In fact, the older cans hold slightly more product (396g vs. 395g)!

Now, Jim didn’t say what proof he has that one can is older than the other. This being Dollar Tree, maybe the cans came from different markets entirely. Be watchful nevertheless: your favorite companies might be prepping the Same Size Ray right now.

Comments

1. Bativac says:

Dollar Tree. Devious bastards!

The shaving cream pictured on the can looks suspiciously like bleached dog poo.

• AllanG54 says:

Just out of curiosity…how many times have you seen bleached dog poo to make that comparison.

2. Bakergirl says:

The Dollar Tree has let me down man…

3. Southern says:

Or, the can on the left is extremely old, they used the grocery shrink ray on new cans (making them 12oz maybe), then came out with the new “25 more” cans which took the contents back up to 14oz.

Considering they came from a Dollar Tree, the can on the left could be 4-5+ years old.

4. SiddhimaAmythaon says:

this looks like a payday for weights and measures. I see a nice fine in someones future..

5. danmac says:

How do you know that the shaving cream wasn’t hit by the shrink ray, then immediately zapped by the bonus size ray?

6. Tim says:

If 14 oz. is 25% more than the previous size, then the previous size was 11.2 oz. That’s a pretty awkward size, so something makes me doubt the company would make a product in that size.

7. PupJet says:

ARGH! Not the dreaded same size ray!!!! *Runs and cries in the corner* Them bastards aren’t allowed to have that technology yet!

8. Nytmare says:

A quick search of the web shows all cans are 14 oz. Looks like marketing fakery to me.

9. Guard says:

All products do this. They never claim you’re getting 25% more than before, they’re just saying you get 25% more than a competitor.

But they obviously make it look like they mean you’re getting 25% more than the previous same product.

• sqlrob says:

No, they compare it to themselves. I’ve seen 20% More (then in small print – than the “next smaller” size)

10. qwickone says:

Maybe there’s a caveat that says 25% more than national brands or something like that. I’ve seen that a couple of times in the fine print on the back of the can.

• Nytmare says:

The Gillette can is only 11 oz., so that might be the case if they only wrote “25% more”.

But when they write “25% more, FREE”, they can’t rightfully compare that to any product other than their own.

11. Big Mama Pain says:

I can’t even figure out why they would do this, though; it’s not like they jacked up the price a week ago, then put these out to make it LOOK like you were getting more for free, it’s $1 no matter what….

12. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I make my own cream at home. No, I do. I use a puck of shaving soap, or Tom’s of Maine, and whip it up with my brush in a scuttle/mug. It’s immensely better than anything out of a can, and doesn’t contain chemicals that dry your skin out like the propellants and other chemicals in the canned stuff do.

• stormbird says:

Yes! I’ve been doing that for a few months as well, and also using a safety razor. the startup cost is more expensive, but I can get ten blades for a dollar at Dollar General and buy a few years’ worth of blades on Amazon for the price of three months’ of a 4- or 5-blade system (that cuts worse).

13. coren says:

Unless the standard size is now 11.2 (or less) ounces and they just don’t happen to have that shelved.

14. DanRydell says:

I still like the Dollar Tree though. You don’t have to get all dressed up like you’re going to Walmart or something.

15. Lefty McRighty says:

Here’s my conspiracy theory: in order to soften the blow of the grocery shrink ray that they want to use, they put these cans out for a few months until the OLD 14oz cans are gone and forgotten, then they put out their new 11oz cans for the same price, effectively ending the “25%more” sale. My local grocery store does a similar tactic when they want to increase the price of a product. Let’s say my peanut butter has always been $2.99 regular price. They’ll put it on “sale” for $2.99, and in the fine print, show the “regular price” as $3.29. After 2 or 3 weeks, the peanut butter stops being on “sale” and is just regularly priced at $3.29.

16. d0x360 says:

How can that be legal? Isnt it false and misleading advertising? I know its shady but not legal to shrink the size but keep packages the same to fool us but to say you are getting more when you are getting the same seems very wrong to me.

• Ouze says:

I think it’s probably lawful, because it never specifies what is is 25% more then. They might have 25% more then some competitor. Shady and misleading (especially because it’s a taller can!) but not unlawful, I don’t think.

17. rexfromars says:

Hi! I’m Jim from the article.

I know the can on the left is older because there were only two “smaller cans” left (the one pictured, and the one behind it). All the “sensitive skin” cans were of the “bigger” size.

Also, I was buying this to clean carpets, not shave. Believe it or not, cheap shaving cream does an amazing job of cleaning up kitty vomit and hairball residue, and is a lot cheaper than carpet cleaner!

18. MikieJag says:

This is by far my favorite use of the free stuff. Usually right below the now with more stuff is the tiny comment

*than our smaller size.

I just have quit reading the lables and look at price per unit, of course this is also becoming hard with one brands doing oz and another grams and my favorite is each…

so one is $0.25 on is $.04 and another is $6.99. Come on, just give me one measurement and one price.

19. Justin D. Morgan says:

Could Same Size Ray might be a warning that the Grocery Shrink Ray will soon hit? (First they fool you into thinking the product is larger, then they substitute the newly-shrunken size.)

20. zero says:

26% more, could indicate a volume difference wouldn’t be *that* hard to squeeze into the same size bottle. For instance look at a bag of Doritos, huge freaking bag, with only 1/4 filled.

21. yankinwaoz says:

more WHAT? They don’t say. As mention, it could mean 25% more fineprint. 25% more red color on the label. Who knows?

22. Levk says:

hmm.. I know what they did, they shrank the can first then added the 25% more to it so it like the old one but they can say it’s 25% more since the cans they used before was less… well it made sense in me head

23. Michael the Great says:

Um, couldn’t the one on the left be the new one? They could have continued the 14oz size.

24. rookie says:

I’m having a very hard time feeling anything at all…
    The product, no matter its size, costs a dollar…
    If time were given a value, doesn’t it seem a tad strange to have a calculator out figuring out how much yer being ripped off, at the DOLLAR TREE???

In the interests of transparency, I shave about once a year…