14 People Foods That Will Poison Your Puppy

Any good dog owner knows it’s a bad idea to feed your dog chocolate. And you know at Christmas to keep the pooch out of the poinsettias. But the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center handled more than 17,000 cases of poisoned pets in 2009 — and not all of them were because Snarf got into your Cadbury’s stash.

There are many, many human foods that will cause an adverse reaction when consumed by canines, but our science-y brethren at Consumer Reports rounded up this list of common pooch-poisoners:

* Alcohol
* Avocados
* Chocolate
* Coffee grounds
* Grapes and raisins
* Gum or candy with xylitol
* Human vitamin supplements
* Macadamia nuts
* Mushrooms
* Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, powder)
* Salt
* Tea
* Tobacco
* Yeast dough

Different foods cause different problems in dogs, including cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, respiratory, neurological or blood problems, and even organ failure.

If you think your pet has eaten something poisonous, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center hotline (888-426-4435; a consultation fee may apply).

For more information and links to helpful sites, check out the full article over at ConsumerReports.org.

Comments

1. msbask says:

Poinsettias aren’t poisonous, though.

• msbask says:

Ignore. Should have ready more closely. The article didn’t say they were.

• Brent says:

When I ready the article, I ready that I’m supposed to keep the pooch out of the poinsettias. Maybe I’m misreadying?

• scoccaro says:

I thought they were for cats though… or is that Easter Lilies?

• dpeters11 says:

Easter lillies are highly poisonous to cats. Poinsettia’s aren’t poisonous, but they aren’t edible either. So you don’t want them munching on them, but not worth a vet trip.

• whatdoyoucare says:

Tiger Lilies are super bad for dogs. We had some growing in our backyard. Our weimaraner ate some and got really sick with vomiting, diarrhea, and breathing problems. Unfortunately for the housesitter (but fortunately for us) it was during our vacation. We ended up having to dig it all out.

• Verdant Pine Trees says:

Kitty will hack it all up if she eats some poinsettia.

2. Captain Walker says:

Let’s see which of these I fed to my Golden Retriever (or she just took) on her own, before she died at age 14:

Alcohol (don’t leave beer bottles on low tables)
    Chocolate (fed to her, and she once stole a tray of cupcakes)
    Grapes (she loved them and loved catching them when we’d throw them to her)
    Mushrooms (she’d eat them right out of the ground from our grass or the woods)
    Salt (I’m sure the human food we gave her now and then had a day’s supply of sodium or more)
    Yeast dough (if that means cooked bread or pizza dough, then guilty again. If it means raw, then never).

I’m sure these things in some quantity are bad for your pets, but just like I never have heard of a kid dying from sticking his finger into an electric outlet (nasty shock, sure, but they, OK I, never did that again), I never heard of a dog suffering Death By Chocolate.

• bdgbill says:

Hah! I was about to write almost the same post about my Golden Retriever. Mine would choose pizza crusts over steak any day of the week. He eats small amounts of pretty much everything we eat.

• Shadowfire says:

Golden retrievers are too dumb to die. ;-)

(former golden retriever owner here)

• nova3930 says:

I have 2 lab/golden retriever mix dogs and I remember the time my wife and I went out of town overnight only to come back and find their big plastic water bowl completely gone out of the back yard. I can only assume they ate and digested the thing because I’ve never found a trace of it.

Too dumb to die is an understatement LOL

• Doubts42 says:

I felt the same way about my golden until he died due to his own stupidity. Nothing he ate, which included everything on this list and added, rocks, plastic food dishes, drywall and multiple entire shoes (leather, plastic, rubber, glue, canvas). he just decided that trucks were easier to catch if you chased them from the front.

• the atomic bombshell says:

Sez you! My purebred Golden was terribly smart and died at 16. Oh god now I’m missing her so bad.

• scientific progress goes boink says:

That’s why we call them “golden retarded”. My last one used to try to eat bees, which he was allergic to. It’s amazing he lived to be 15.

• Powerlurker says:

My parents’ old golden retriever LOVED butter, if we were cooking and didn’t keep an eye on him, he grab a whole stick off the counter. The aftermath was never fun to clean up. He also loved tomatoes and would steal them right off the vine in our (and our neighbor’s) back yard.

• sponica says:

Yeah my dog drinks up spilled beer and has eaten more chocolate than I can remember. He’s also eaten a dead fish and a dead muskrat. But the sickest he ever got was when someone left the pantry door ajar and he ate like 20 lbs of dog food in one sitting.

He’s a big old mutt

• spanky says:

A lot of these things (all, really) depend on the amount consumed.

Here’s a page that gives some info on the amount of chocolate that you do or do not need to worry about.

Grapes and onions and avocado at least are similar. A little bit probably doesn’t hurt, but they can and will kill a dog if consumed in large enough amounts. I’m particularly careful with grapes, for example, because grape toxicity only recently became common knowledge, and we don’t have much information on what amounts are safe to ingest; but there have been reports of a dog dying of grape toxicity from as little as 8 grapes. That’s more than you might have in a raisin cookie.

And from what I have seen, the mushrooms dogs shouldn’t eat are the same ones you shouldn’t. It’s the wild grown ones that are also toxic to humans. (And no, not all wild grown mushrooms are toxic to humans, either, but it’s very difficult to ID the safe vs. the toxic ones, so you shouldn’t take that risk.)

I’ve seen way too many people dismiss these things outright based on the fact that their dog has eaten them and been OK. The fact that your (large) dog didn’t die from eating grapes or chocolate, and that you haven’t personally known any dogs who have, isn’t really compelling. They can and do.

• mocena says:

No offense, but you’ve probably got a pretty small sample size. I work at a vet hospital and we’ve seen several dogs who got REALLY sick or died from eating things off this list, including grapes and garlic and onions.

• Captain Walker says:

I can’t and won’t disagree with you as you are right there on the front lines, doing tremendous work, and, unfortunately, get to see every case where these foods DO harm our pets. And I thank you for what you do to fix our pets and get them back to us. But you don’t see the thousands (or millions) of cases where it causes no harm.

• tsukiotoshi says:

Sure, but if it is well known to cause problems I don’t see why people shouldn’t be warned. My dog died of kidney failure because my mom had been feeding her grapes. She had no idea that grapes could cause those kinds of problems in dogs. Now she does. On the other hand, that dog once ate a whole package of Andies Candies with no more serious effect then diarrhea. My aunt’s corgi died at 15 after being fed chocolate chips his whole life. So, my point is that sure there are always going to be variations in individuals, but if the food is known to cause problems in dogs don’t you think it wise to alert people to the danger?

• lordargent says:

Not to mention that there are lots of different types of chocolate that have different levels of the compound that’s dangerous to cats and dogs.

IE, milk chocolate Ande’s mints are a far cry from bakers chocolate :D

/there was a site somewhere that compared the toxicity levels of different types of chocolate for a dog of X weight. IE, how many pounds of chocolate are fatal.

/for white chocolate (hardly any cocoa solids) the dog would have had to eat several times its own body weight :P

• Keavy_Rain says:

Garlic seems like an odd one on this list, because when I was a kid (late 80′s-early90′s) we had a German Shepard/Collie mix and a Sheltie and our Vet told us to feed them garlic to keep fleas and ticks away.

Could it be one of those “Back then, we thought it was OK, but now we know better” kind of things?

• BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Dough, to me – Implies raw.

• subtlefrog says:

Grapes and raisins can cause organ failure – a friend’s (large) dog went into kidney failure after helping herself to a bag. Because you threw your dog a grape or two doesn’t mean these are safe, or anything else is safe, for all dogs.

• scientific progress goes boink says:

I’ve noticed goldens and labs seem to have stomachs of steel. All the ones I’ve owned have helped themselves to numerous poisonous and dangerous items. One ate an entire azalea bush, a good sized one at that and didn’t even act sick. The last golden ate probably a pound of valentines chocolate like it was nothing. He even ate more than a few non-food items which he passed in perfect condition. The black lab ate a freakin rose bush thorns and all and didn’t even get a scratch.

• Clumber says:

I had a Sheltie who found a chocolate easter bunny that my mom had “thoughtfully” hidden for me in my apartment. (That my mother still refuses to acknowledge that I don’t even like chocolate is another story…) All I found was a chewed-up wrapper of the candy, and my dog having constant violent grand mal seizures on the floor. The ER vet I called (it was, naturally, ~1am) told me my dog wouldn’t survive the 25 minute drive to their hospital, so they talked me through supportive care, and called me back every 20 minutes or so to see where we were with it. My dog survived, but it was very touch-n-go, very very messy, and quite terrifying to watch her go through.

My understanding (and I worked in the dog “biz” for over 15 years both veterinary hospitals and as a manager of a large boarding/grooming facility) is that the theobromine in chocolate can also build up in the liver, so a *dog eating a tootsie roll every day might not so toxic effects for weeks, but can also eventually hit a toxic point and crash.

My dogs will pretty much eat anything I call “cookie” so I just avoid stuff like grapes that could be bad. I mean, I don’t enjoy them getting raging gas from things that just don’t agree with their digestive system even if not dangerous, so why risk it when I can toss them a carrot or a dog biscuit or a piece of my sandwich to them and they are just as happy?

*my inlaws actually feed their dog tootsie rolls almost daily. They also ask us ALL THE FRICKING TIME why their dog has so much gas, is obese, etc… they don’t listen to our answers and instead decide it is all because he was neutered. AARRRRGGHHHH!!!

• Clumber says:

“….*might not _suffer_ toxic effects…”

Sorry. Work interrupted my thought process. Can we get an edit button? Thx.

3. pecan 3.14159265 says:

I freaked out when mine proceeded to om nom nom his way through his litterbox. He now poops in a metal pan, and the first few weeks he had it he’d chomp down on it and look up quizzically, like he had no idea why his teeth were suddenly ineffective.

4. dolemite says:

When I got japanese takeout, my chihuahua loved when I gave him slivers of the onion. I found out later it was bad for him, but he seems ok years later. Perhaps the serving size was too small, or maybe the damage will become evident later.

• dulcinea47 says:

It must have been too small. It causes anemia.

• sickofthis says:

Onions cause anemia if the dog eats too much. Small amounts might be okay.

Cats are susceptible too.

• swearint says:

It caused uncontrollable drooling when my Yellow Lab scarfed a small piece off the floor. She did not get sick, but for about eight hours she produced puddles of saliva.

• Looseneck says:

My dog (Husky/Shepherd mix) will throw up any onion he eats.

I’ve also heard tomatoes were poisonous to dogs.

5. Julia789 says:

Love the photo in this post – cute little hot dog!

That ASPCA poison control hotline is good to jot down and keep tacked on your fridge for emergencies. I know a lot of people who have used it for emergencies. Well worth the fee, around $50± I believe?

Their vets that answer the phone can answer all your questions and can save you a trip to the emergency all-night vet, which would surely cost more than $50.

6. Mike says:

The worst past is most dogs will eat anything they can get hold of, except of course that bag of really expensive dog food you bought them. Turn your back for a second on some dogs and they will chomp down on an entire bag of almost anything if given the chance, including many of the things on this list.

I was in Mexico once and was staying with this family that was feeding their little dog chocolate everyday. A bunch of us Americans freaked out but apparently they had been feeding the dog chocolate for years. I wonder if it is only certain kinds of processed chocolate that make dogs sick?

• SagarikaLumos says:

No, it’s the theobromine that is toxic. Only really dark chocolate has enough to cause problems in small quantities. Several ounces of milk chocolate would be necessary to cause immediate problems.

Still not good to regularly feed them, though.

• Jupichan says:

Yeah, it takes a fair bit of milk chocolate to cause issues.

My beagle/basset once ate a pound of baking chocolate. She got sick, real sick. But she lived.

7. Applekid ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ) says:

I guess this settles it. I’m not a dog after all.

8. PixDawg says:

A lot is dosage related and therefore size related. Our Old English Sheepdogs both get about one chocolate cookie per day and have for ages. One is 12 and they typically only live to about 13 max. But they are each about 125 pounds. I would not try that with a 5 pound yapper.

9. MattO says:

btw, Marijuana is also very bad for dogs – saw it on the People’s Court

10. epb says:

Wait, you’re NOT supposed to give your dog alcohol now? Tell that to Spuds MacKenzie.

11. sufreak says:

It should be qualified that some of this stuff has to be in larger quantities. I know people who give their dogs chocolate all the time, or sausage that has been spiced with garlic.

Its about quantity, not just what it is

• El Chicharron says:

I had an ex-girlfriend who used to give her Rottweiler five or six cloves of garlic a day for fleas. As far as I know, the dog is still alive at age 17.

• Doubts42 says:

Giving my dog garlic sausage would probably not harm the dog, the doggy gas might kill the rest of us

12. dpeters11 says:

Quantity does make a difference. Even some high quality dog foods use garlic, but in trace amounts. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

13. Ben says:

Won’t someone think about the cats?!

• dolemite says:

As I tell my 3 cats…nobody loves cats.

• Big Mama Pain says:

Cats are too smart to eat things that will kill them. At least, my three cats seem to think they’re pretty smart.

• sweaterhogans says:

Cats usually don’t eat things that will kill them (though mine get voracious when they smell ham. pastrami or pepperoni). I also had one cat try to eat a piece of succulent plant and subsequently kept throwing up—that ended up in a very expensive hospital visit, but he turned out to be ok.

My mom had a lhasa apso that ate EVERYTHING. My idiot sister left a big box of Indian sweets on the ground (they are basically all milk and sugar). They went out to go shopping and came back to an empty box and a happy dog. It didn’t turn out well however, as the dog spent the rest of his short life a diabetic, eventually succumbing to his ailments. Dogs can’t control themselves, so please clean your floors!

14. Bativac says:

Chocolate is bad for dogs depending on the purity of the chocolate, the amount, and the size of your dog. There is an excellent chart here:

My beagle got into a one pound bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips several years ago. I came home and found little thrown-up piles of chocolate all over the apartment. So much for getting that deposit back! He’s fine, though, and he’s been fine ever since.

15. Jdavis says:

Never give your dog cashew nuts. I spilled some the other day, went to sweep up the spill, found it had been “cleaned up” already. But then my dog had the nastiest reaction a couple of days later (the evidence was easily seen).

16. MeOhMy says:

What is meant by “Yeast Dough”? Uncooked yeast dough? My dog loves soft pretzels…salt + yeast dough!

I wish these articles would give better details about what the potential reaction is, etc. They always just say “don’t feed your pet the following”.

• hills says:

I think they mean uncooked – because after eating the dough it expands in the belly and that’s a big problem.

• MrEvil says:

I would think Impacted bowel is a pretty big problem when eating raw dough. Probably not good for a human being to eat raw dough either.

17. reddbettie says:

I have a friend whose dog died of alcohol poisoning after a no-parents party in high school. Dogs love beer, doesn’t mean their bodies can handle it. So sad :(

18. proscriptus says:

The minimum known death threshold in dogs works out to about 1 pound of 60% dark chocolate per 10 lbs of dog. Quadruple that for milk chocolate. That’s a lot of freaking chocolate. Don’t worry about it.

19. Harmodios says:

Excellent! thanks for the advise, now I know what to leave lying around the backyard for the neighbors dog to eat. Muhaha

• levelone says:

That’s animal cruelty and if you could be charged if you killed the dog and it was proven that you were responsible. If you don’t like the dog and the neighbor’s neglecting it, call Animal Control.

20. FrugalFreak says:

Garlic? I’ve heard people give dogs garlic to help with fleas.

I found this
    “The key to safe use of garlic on dogs is the dosage level and frequency of use. For a dog to develop Heinz-body anemia, he would have to eat over 0.5% of his body weight in onions to even begin the oxidative process. It means a healthy 60-pound dog would have to eat a whole 5-oz onion, or several cloves of garlic, to start the Heinz-body process.”

21. diasdiem says:

At last! The information I need to get rid of my neighbor’s annoying puppy! *twists mustache*

22. Clyde Barrow says:

I wish cat poop was poisionous to dogs. Had a vet tell me years ago that dogs eat cat poop cuz it is like candy to them and my dog use to visit my cat’s litter box like a kid in a candy store. It wouldn’t have been so bad except the dog would sit there and munch it like peanut butter and it would stick to his tongue and cheeks and he’d made these funky faces like he was trying to get every bit.

• DarthCoven says:

I’ve got the same problem. We always catch our mini poodle with his head poking into the litter box. He loves bunny poop too, but that doesn’t bother me as much since it’s mostly hay. For a while we let him munch on these alfalfa treats the bunny didnt like, but then we realized we were just enabling him.

23. Clyde Barrow says:

I had a Maltese/Pom mixed dog about the size of the pooch in the posted picture. One night while away he jumped upon my kitchen table and ate an entire box of Andres mints. For a week he pooped dark chocolate and green tin foil.

24. diasdiem says:

My mom always told me not to give chicken bones to the dog because they splinter easily.

• mocena says:

Cooked chicken bones are the ones that splinter, you can give uncooked chicken and it won’t have that problem. Well, except for the potential for salmonella. You know, on second thought, don’t give your dog chicken at all.

• axhandler1 says:

Fish, chicken, and pork bones can all splinter and stick in your dog’s throat, so don’t give your dog/puppy those types of bones.

25. u1itn0w2day says:

I always heard foods high in sugar aren’t great for dogs either. They can’t handle the volume of refined sugars as humans can.

26. Dalsnsetters says:

My dalmatian, Katie Sue, ate an entire one POUND box of Whoppers (Malted Milk Balls) one time. When I got home from work and saw what she had done, I freaked (first thought: dog + chocolate = certain death). Called the vet, splained the situation. Vet told me that it’s the dark (he also referenced baking) chocolate that is the most dangerous and can cause death. He said milk chocolate has been diluted soooo much in the processing that it would take more than 1 lb. of Whoppers to do in a dog of Katie’s size. As I recall (this was ~11 years ago now), she just had some really bad gas and diarrhea for a couple of days. On a smaller dog, it may have killed….but Kate was a large dog (75 lb. dalmatian) with a stomach of steel.

“Cat Snackies” (cat poop directly out of the litter box) were a particular favorite of hers. Anytime someone would say to me (in reference to a dish I cooked), “Well, Katie likes it” I would remind them that Katie Sue though cat shit was a delicacy so that comparison wasn’t very effective, thanks for the thought. :)

• Bonster says:

You’re in fine shape, because there’s very little chocolate in Whoppers. What you think is chocolate is actually flavored partially hydrogenated oil. There’s some cocoa in there for flavor.

Quick hint – if it says chocolatey, creme or confection in any kind of chocolate, you don’t have real chocolate.

• mydailydrunk says:

ahh, the good old “crunchy nose” syndrome. I haven’t had to scoop my litter box in 10 years. lol

27. savashley says:

My pomeranian will eat ANYTHING. It’s ridiculous. She loves Jell-O! I very very rarely give her human food, however my family gives her anything she begs for! Prime example, my dad said “hey Savannah, can Lily have a marshmallow?” I said “um heck no, she’s only allowed to have dog food.” he said “oh whoops, too late” and gave her one. She also enjoys eating the Spanish moss (or as my 10 year-old sister calls it, Chinese Monkey Grass) out of our decorative trees..I have vacuumed and swept that stuff up more times than I care to remember

• hotdogsunrise says:

My one dog loves to eat:
      Grapefruit
      Lettuce
      Spinach
      asparagus

My other dog does not and cannot understand why the first one can stand eating those foods. And yes, my dogs are dachshunds.

28. El Chicharron says:

My parents had a beagle-German shepherd mix when I was growing up and she ate anything with no problems. She stole a one-pound chunk of See’s milk chocolate one time and it didn’t even phase her.

The only time I ever saw her really get sick was when she ate a rotten lobster she found in the neighbor’s garbage. And when she scarfed down a huge tub of margarine she stole. She promptly threw up melted margarine all over the patio and proceeded to eat it a second time.

• buggurl says:

Why do they do that?! Try to wolf down the things they just threw up? It just boggles my mind when a dog does that.

29. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Ok…Grapes, really? Mine has eaten those, salt, tobacco, garlic and god knows what else she got into as a puppy.

These may be good ‘general guidelines’ — But not “one grape and she drops dead” — Don’t PANIC. Christ All Mighty ASPCA..

• nonvideas says:

Grapes are actually believed to be an “idiosyncratic” toxin – we don’t know exactly why or how they cause kidney disease and we don’t know exactly what part of the grape causes it. What we do know is that the toxic dose seems to vary from dog to dog. Renal failure HAS been reported in dogs that have had just one grape (or raisin). There are also dogs (like the lab I had as a kid) who can eat a dozen of them and never blink. But because they can and have caused toxicity at very small doses, and because it varies from dog to dog, we generally recommend against them.

Garlic (and onions) are usually toxic at a relatively high dose, so a dog getting a little bit of either one isn’t really a problem. It’s when these things become regular components of their diets that you start to see problems with anemia.

30. smo0 says:

That’s surprising, tomatos aren’t on the list – and they are very bad for dogs. My aunt learned that when she got her dog from the Amanda foundation in LA. They ask a bunch of questions about your home and she said she had a garden – they gave her a list of things to never plant or to keep the dogs away from. Tomato was one of them.

• Daverson says:

I think it’s the leaves that are toxic to dogs, not the tomatoes themselves. Every dog I’ve ever owned has loved spaghetti with tomato sauce, gets a plate of his own when we have it for dinner, and has never experienced an ill effect.

I know that the plural of anecdote isn’t data, but my brother-in-law’s St. Bernard lived to the unheard-of old age of 15 on a daily diet of pasta and sauce (Italian family – his mother made pasta to go with supper every single day and said that pasta was cheaper than dog food.)

• smo0 says:

I might have been the leaves… either way – there was a laundry list of items you CANNOT have in a garden if you have a dog that wanders around it.

• nonvideas says:

The fruit of tomatoes is not harmful to dogs. The stem and leaves are toxic to them and to us.

31. BuyerOfGoods3 says:

Hey guys — If you think your pet swallowed or ate these VERY recently, and you can make them vomit – do it. It’s called MUSTARD.

~I worked with animals. They would eat tennis balls if left unattended…1 TBSP Mustard. Check it out.

32. HogwartsProfessor says:

I IS a hot dog!!!!

I tried to find a list for cats but all the sites that have one are blocked by my stupid work. How about posting a cat one if someone can get to it?

33. wellfleet says:

My genius mother in law threw out chocolate in her yard (???!!!!) when I was visiting with my dog and he got into it. The pretty golf course she lives on was subsequently littered with doggie landmines. Other than that, he was fine. He also stole a package of 12 mini-cupcakes (plain white cake with white frosting and sprinkles) and ate the whole thing, sans plastic packaging, but wrappers and all. And he was fine. And still hungry. That said, I don’t feed him any of these items and they’re posted on my fridge along with poison control number.

34. Excuse My Ambition Deficit Disorder says:

I was always told it’s not chocolate that’s poisonous to canines, but it’s the quantity of cocoa.

35. wench1401 says:

Xylitol is really nasty, if you don’t get it out of your dog immediately it will screw over their organs and require IV fluid therapy and meds for several days. Especially in dogs under 50 lbs. So be careful where you leave your gum.

36. mandy_Reeves says:

see…I read the ingredients on certain dog foods that contain onion powder and garlic powder…and Rachel Ray puts garlic powder in home made dog treats. She made them on her dog food special.

My shih tzu, the worst thing she did was a few weeks ago…she tried to eat some gum and last year ate an advil that I dropped. She does that “omg its on the floor so it’s mine! let me snarf it up like a vaccum” trick.

37. d0x360 says:

Damn I better stop my dogs smoking and beer habit ASAP.

38. smo0 says:

On the note of chocolate (being DEATH) I heard the darker the chocolate, the worse and it could also be even more instense if it’s a smaller dog ingesting larger quanities, vs a bigger dog.

With that said. I love dark chocolate – when I was over at my exes house, I had two bars of 86% dark cocoa bars from Trader Joes… they were in my purse on the table – his mother’s weiner dogs jumped up and grabbed both bars, tore up the wrapping and ate the entire bars.
    We didn’t know this for a while, until I went into my purse to grab something and I noticed the wrappings on the floor.

They were small, older dogs… nothing happened – I stayed there over night too. Perfectly fine. Odd huh?

39. AuntieMaim says:

Our friends’ dog — a mangy, smelly little thing they’d taken in when an acquaintance was moving — managed to get a large bottle of fish oil supplements off the counter and open. Ate quite a pile of them. She was fine, and in a short time her skin and coat were gorgeous and her weird smell was gone.

40. trujunglist says:

you shouldn’t give your dog any human food. it’s really not good for them and they develop bad habits because of it. my beautiful dog developed diabetes because of human food and eventually went blind as she grew older. you don’t want that for your dog.

41. sybann says:

My two IGs get loose poo from a new bag of Innova – so all of them have different sensitivities. To those of you who say “But MINE didn’t…”

Why the hell would you chance it?

42. OnePumpChump says:

I had a dog that ate three whole bags of mini Snickers bars. Including the wrappers. And most of the bags.

(She was fine.)

43. yagisencho says:

Wow, yeast dough surprised me. Bad though even when baked into bread?

44. NickRayko says:

One thing primarily of concern to dog-owners who also happen to be homebrewers – spent (cooked) hops from the brewing process are supposed to be extremely bad for dogs (causing overheating & elevated heart rate) especially for greyhounds & similar breeds. I don’t have dogs, but rather than dumping the hops in the compost now, I chuck ‘em in the trash.

45. Dyrenia says:

My dog is 19, and she’s eaten chocolate and chocolate ice cream her entire life

46. skygirl says:

For those of you who have dogs who like to eat the “tootsie rolls” out of the cat litter…

There is a product you can get from the vet, it is a powder you put on the CAT food. It makes the cat poop taste nasty to dogs. You feed the stuff to the cat for about two weeks or until the dog gives up going near the kitty litter. It convinced my two labs to stay out of the litter box.

FWIW

47. Brent says:

Is it okay if I let my dog chew gum without xylitol?

48. Froggmann says:

Oh good, hot sauce isn’t on the list. Yes my dog likes hot sauce. The wife figured it out, she’s devilish that way.

Cadbury’s Chocolate? Yuck.

49. osiris73 says:

My border collie mix once ate a full 1lb bag of Hershey’s dark chocolate kisses. They only repercussions were purple, glittery, dog poos in the yard.

50. biggeek says:

It would have been nice to compile WHY these items are toxic to dogs.

51. mydailydrunk says:

As I have a beagle, a lab, a St.Bernard, and a dog rescued from a dump – I have been witness to astounding feats of panic eating, dumpster diving and counter surfing.

I highly recommend asking your vet about how to properly use hydrogen peroxide to get your pup to disgorge that 3 pounds of fudge they snagged. I’m not licensed, so I won’t post how to use a baby syringe full of undiluted hydrogen peroxide squirted down Rover’s throat – ask your vet how to do this emergency procedure.

52. wee_willie says:

My vet told me that chocolate is only harmful to about 3% of dogs. She started feeding her dogs chocolate as a treat after they ate a three-pound box of chocolates while she was away from home. Before I’d heard about the fatal effects of chocolate on dogs, I fed my dog chocolate occasionally. After I heard about it, he didn’t get chocolate for a long time. After speaking with my vet, I once again started giving him chocolate (his absolute favorite food) as a treat, since it hadn’t hurt him before I heard about the chocolate problem. He is a big dog, he’s 13 years old, and he still acts like a pup most of the time, except when his arthritis acts up.