Help! Cablevision Is In The Hall Listening Outside My Door!

Reader Newman says he got a voicemail from a Cablevision guy that was in the hallway at his work, listening through his office door. He tells us this is the final straw and he’ll be getting FiOS…

I can’t believe the lengths Cablevision are going to these days. FIOS must really be closing in…

I got this voicemail last night from an “account manager” after I had left my office for the day. Also attached is the business care this dope left. This stalker somehow got into the locked multi-office building, got my info from the business card on my door and was leaving me a voicemail from right outside my office door…

“Hey Newman, it’s ____ calling from Cablevision. I’m actually at 307 right now. Nobody’s answering but I can hear the TV on inside or something. Or the radio. I thought you might be in the office with headphones on or something like that. Yea, I’m actually covering [redacted], and the building here, on [redacted], for Cablevision.

I know you have us for internet, and I hope that everything’s ok with that, but that’s one of the reasons why I’m calling you. But also I noticed you didn’t have us for phone or TV and, uh, I’m one of the guys for businesses in town, and uh, I don’t know if you’re aware of the specials I’ve got going on right now for that but I’d be happy to fill you in at anytime. ***.***.**** is where you can reach me. Again, ***.***.**** is where you can reach me. Again my name is ___ ____ calling from Cablevision. Uh, where I’m based down on ___St. and, uh, ___ St. Which you may know is a couple blocks away from you. Get back to me whenever you need to. Thanks again for your business. Appreciate it, Newman. Take care.”

This guy’s got his ear to my door listening to my radio? Frankly, Cablevision blows. I have it at home and the service is terrible. The TV picture is pixelated at least once or twice a day, due to their crappy bandwidth I’m sure, and I’m tired of having service guys out to my house telling me it’s my TV.

You know, it’s nice that they care, but pressing an ear to your door is a little… um… unsettling.

Comments

1. smo0 says:

I’m sad that this site blocks out people’s names and phone numbers. I wanted to call and creep this guy out!

Boo!

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

… that’s probably WHY we have ***’s and [redacted] … XD

• Zeniq says:

I actually emailed Meg and asked the reason behind “redacting” details of articles just last week. She never responded. Maybe I should resort to a EECB?

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I’m upset they stopped offering free 911 like before. But they recently hit my door again. So I left them a little message on their hanger: http://twitpic.com/1wmeeq

• PleaseKickMeOffConsumerist says:

Man, that message is totally going to kill their business. It’s a good thing we have whistle blowers such as yourself.

• Ominous Gamer says:

Sir, you have one nasty door.

• shoan says:

i was kinda thinking that myself sorry not trying to be mean but damn

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I live directly on a main road, so this door and porch get a lot of road dust on them. If there is a mist around, it becomes like a film. There also isn’t a non-leaking outside spigot, so I can’t hook up a pressure washer.

• FrugalFreak says:

http://conist/ They won’t ever figure that out.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Everyone knows what http:// means. Some people even shorten it to “hit up”.

• FrugalFreak says:

By the way, I love the pipe racks and zippo lighters. I collect those myself.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

The pipe racks are for my razors, actually. I only bought the pipes because they would look cool mixed in with the razors, and I wanted the leather covered one. I need to pick up a block of beeswax next time I’m at the big flea market to protect/shine the wood ones.

• michelsondl says:

Jeez, you got lots of Fatboys and Slims. I got about 30 DE’s myself and don’t quite know what to do with them all. I need a nice display case so they aren’t sitting out in the pipe racks collecting dust all the time. You on B&B too?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

Yes, but I go under an assumed name since GitEmSteveDave was banned by a mod who didn’t like me pointing an error out to him over DM. Look around, I’m usually somewhere on the “radar”.

• S says:

So what’s that wire thing attached to your zippo?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDaveâ„¢ says:

I collect vintage/abused Zippo lighters, and sometimes you can’t get the insert(the lighter part) out of the body of the lighter without crushing the “chimney”(the metal part around the flame w/the holes). That grabs onto holes in the chimney and gives you more leverage to pull them out. Some of the lighters I buy are actually crushed, so you need extra force to pull the inserts out. Many are very old, and have almost glued themselves into the lighter as the fluid evaporated.

3. ConsumerPop says:

Very creepy. I would definitely try and call a supervisor and complain–maybe not give the specific guys info, but just tell them the nature of the call and that you are CREEPED out!

4. rpm773 says:

Tomorrow we learn that Cablevision has hired Ceiling Cat to install services

5. nkash001 says:

Cable companies are relentless. I have Charter Communications myself, and it was a NIGHTMARE trying to get my internet connection set up when I moved. I had problems for weeks, and it was practically a guarantee every time I would call customer service that in the middle of trying to help me resolve my problem, they would try to sell me a cable/phone package! Can you imagine? What I did have with them wasn’t working, so not exactly a good time to sell me more. Sorry to hear you had to go through such a creepy incident. Definitely call this guy’s supervisor and report him on it!

• MSUHitman says:

Most likely Service to Sales is still going on at Charter and they’re required to attempt to sell you something on EVERY call or they will be reprimanded/fired.

• Anri says:

Yup, corporate doesn´t allow reps to think about whether or not a customer would be receptive to an offer. S2S… man… didn´t think I would hear that again!

6. PleaseKickMeOffConsumerist says:

7. Noby Noby Boy says:

Did he at least say it like ‘Hellloooooo Newman.’?

• PencilSharp says:

Nah, he probably grumbled it thru gritted teeth like every Jewish NYC comedian with a group of wacky friends does:

……NEWman……

8. Jesse says:

You know who probably beats this guy hands down: job recruiters. Once you get on their radar they will go to the ends of the earth to track you down.

I had one firm I used during my post-college job search use either Facebook or Linked In so they could call me at my office to see how i was doing and inquire if I wanted to possibly look at other job opportunities (I was ignoring their calls to my cell phone).

Another firm called a co-worker of mine and I after my employer took an article out in a local business newspaper to announce their new hires.

I hate head hunters.

• slappysquirrel says:

Sounds like a pretty good problem to have these days.

• mrstu says:

Agreed, send them my way!

• Sys Admn says:

Not.

Remember, recruiters don’t work for you, they work for the hiring firm. They want to amass large databases of ‘clients’, just in case a few will keyword-match the next request.

9. DanRydell says:

I don’t get what’s so creepy about this. The guy made a personal visit (this is not unusual for a business to business relationship), he left a message because he wasn’t sure if the OP was there and just couldn’t hear him knocking on the door. What’s the big deal if he can hear through the door? Most offices I’ve worked in weren’t soundproof.

• Judah says:

The big deal is he was being a pest and trying to upsell an unwanted service when the current service was not satisfactory. It’s like a street bum ringing your doorbell, commenting on your furniture, and begging for money.

• Pax says:

Actually, *I* think the big deal is, he was LISTENING THROUGH THE GUY’S DOOR.

Seriously, that is majorly uncool. Huge invasion of privacy, there. If I were the guy who’d received that voicemail? I’d be dropping ALL services with that company – and when the company inevitably asked, naming the eaves-dropper as the reason I did so!

• Randell says:

He didn’t say he was listening through the door. he said he heard something on (tv or radio). First, if the guy isn’t in his office, turn your shit off. Two, if I am in my companies suite of offices and hear that, I am going to have the door unlocked if he does not answer, to make sure there is no issue. If the guy were in there dying wouldn’t that be a prudent thing to at least check on. if his office suite was locked, then check with HIS company as to let him in. I would be more pissed at the employee or person who let somebody into the entire suite of offices, assuming they were closed.

• Westerneer says:

He said he could hear a tv or a radio and wondered if the occupant just didn’t hear his knock. An invasion of privacy? If you’re a lawyer maybe…

• HannahK says:

Yeah, I can see how the OP would find this kind of annoying and intrusive, but at the same time I think it’s harmless. The guy is obviously working very hard, I would try to let him know politely that I wasn’t interested and move on with my life instead of getting too worked up.

• NarcolepticGirl says:

I agree. I worked the front desk at an engineering firm and we had all kinds of sales people coming in (event hough we have a ‘no solicitating’ sign on the entrance to the building and we were on the 10th floor).
        I would always refer them to our corporate office and tell them we don’t make those decisions for our office.
        The end.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

This is the creepy part: …somehow got into the locked multi-office building….

It sounds like the OP works someplace where the doors to the outside are kept locked because they’re not set up to have people just walk in off the street. That this guy went through the trouble of sneaking into the building is WAY creepy.

It’s also a security risk.

10. Griking says:

I’m not really sure what the big problems is here as companies canvassing areas for business all the time. Is it really that big of a deal that he heard that the guy’s television was on through the door when he was knocking? So the guy’s radio or TV was on loud, I seriously doubt that the Cablevision rep had his ear to the door.

11. rbb says:

This cable guy tops Jim Carrie for creepiness. If the business was locked and he gained entry, why not file a criminal trespass charge on him with the local authorities?

• NarcolepticGirl says:

Well, with a building I worked at, you needed a key fob to gain entry before 8am and after 4pm. But if he had another client in the building, he probably stopped in at the other offices.
      We had dozens and dozens of sales people drop in at our business on the 10th floor because they were “already in the building speaking with another client”.

Not that big of a deal. You just say “we are not interested.” or “we don’t make the decisions for this type of purchase – call our corporate office”

12. majortom1981 says:

I highly disagree with this post. I have cablevision and have had no problems. Considering fios refuses to wire all of the homes that cablevision passes.

13. crazydavythe1st says:

It’s not just cable companies that are relentless. I’m actually with the cable company for my internet, and AT&T sends me mail no less than two times per week trying to get me to switch to their DSL. Not only that, but when I open the mail, it is ALWAYS the exact same offer: $19.99 for 768kbps down, which really isn’t that much of a deal.

14. voogru says:

You know they should make a movie about this, call it. “The Cable Guy”.

15. c_c says:
  16. XTC46 says:

“This stalker somehow got into the locked multi-office building, got my info from the business card on my door and was leaving me a voicemail from right outside my office door…”

Seriously, a stalker? He came by once, and called becasue you didnt answer the door. People do that from my office all the time. When I come in early in the morning (or most of the day actually) I have headphones on. We have a radio that plays through the office, but I like my music better. If someone forgets their keys, they call my cell becasue I wont hear them knock. Customer call all the time from outside if they dont know which door is ours (we do have a
    sign) or if they dont notice the intercom button.

And getting into a “locked office building” is nothing. I walk into secure building all day without having to say who im here for. People just assume if you are in a uniform, or carrying a lot of stuff, you belong there.

And the OP is mad becasue the sales person got his info off the door where he posted it, really?

This whole thing is just rediculous.

• humphrmi says:

Sure, if the salesman had just called and said “I’m at your office, you’re apparently not here, I’d like to talk to you about TV and Phone, call me at X.”

The part where it got creepy was when the salesman was acting all pathetic-loser-like, saying “Nobody’s answering but I can hear the TV on inside or something. Or the radio. I thought you might be in the office with headphones on or something like that. “

Yeah, if it’s not creepy, it’s certainly pathetic.

• Rectilinear Propagation says:

I walk into secure building all day without having to say who im here for.

Your experience != the OP’s experience. It’s entirely possible that the security in the OP’s building doesn’t normally suck as bad as that.

• rbb says:

Not in the offices I work in. The men with the automatic weapons insist on seeing your ID…

17. gopena says:

I actually have DSL and Satellite through Embarq/CenturyLink down here in Florida. The service is great, even for DSL (I play a lot of online games, and I never really have any of the ping issues associated with DSL) and the satellite is through Dish, which has so far been without fault, even of the nastiest of rains and such, but what sets me off is when the door to door guys around here come around asking me to sign up for the service etc. but unlike the magazine a-holes, all I have to do is tell them what package I have and then they go away.

18. t0ph says:

I see no problem with this…it is called outside sales…he said he was there servicing or meeting with another client in the building and was trying to drum up business, you know, make a living for himself?…maybe the doors are thin or noise travels thru the walls easily etc….It is not like it was some disreputable company that was trying to change his gas or oil service….Everyone needs to stop being alarmists. And use of the word STALKER in this context is unfair imho.

19. Nakko says:

Gross. That’s all we need. Hard enough to keep marketroid junk out of your mailbox. What’s next! Maybe they can stick their head in my bathroom window and pitch to me while I am in there.

20. BeFrugalNotCheap says:

I have Time Warner Cable and my dad called them because he felt they violated his contract (which they did because they keep dropping channels…Fuck TWC you fucking monopoly) only to have the snooty little operator yell that it was too bad and he could pay the early termination fee. Lucky for her I was’nt there when he called….